bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Your Comments and Review for The Heritage

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on May 22, 10 1:23 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of The Heritage? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

bfgFlounder

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Review for The Heritage

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on May 22, 10 4:31 AM
5 hogs in a row, thats great! I like this game enough for buying it: the graphic is pretty good, the items are well hidden, nice minigames (not to easy, not to hard). Nice frog-game with a interesting story. A buy for me

Smallhaven
Rainbowfish
Rainbowfish
42,220 Posts

[Post New]by Smallhaven on May 22, 10 5:23 AM
Before I even started the game I was torked. Why is it that some developers only permit names entered of five letters or less?! WTF is up with that?! This may seem minor to most of you but it's a real bugaboo of mine. I guess the developers have short names or use Rick instead of Richard and such. My first name has more than five letters and I do not use nicknames at all. And I'm not going to start because of a game that the developers don't give a carp how many letters are in our name. There was plenty of room in that text box to allow for a longer first name so this makes no sense to me at all.

Otherwise, it's an okay game for me. Just okay... not rivetting... not demanding my attention to finish... just so-so.

This game gets a from me.

[Post New]by glitterbutterfly on May 22, 10 5:26 AM
I do love FROGs so I was excited about this. I enjoyed what I played, but after five chapters it put me back to the start again. It took me 25 minutes to get through five chapters, so if there are twenty in total it's about an hour and a half of play. I liked the minigames and the atmosphere, but it's just not long enough for me to buy it.

brandy914
Minnow
Minnow
270 Posts

[Post New]by brandy914 on May 22, 10 5:44 AM
Smallhaven wrote:Before I even started the game I was torked. Why is it that some developers only permit names entered of five letters or less?! WTF is up with that?! This may seem minor to most of you but it's a real bugaboo of mine. I guess the developers have short names or use Rick instead of Richard and such. My first name has more than five letters and I do not use nicknames at all. And I'm not going to start because of a game that the developers don't give a carp how many letters are in our name. There was plenty of room in that text box to allow for a longer first name so this makes no sense to me at all.

Otherwise, it's an okay game for me. Just okay... not rivetting... not demanding my attention to finish... just so-so.

This game gets a from me.

That is strange I never had that problem before. I have more than 5 letters in my name and the game allowed me to enter my entire name. Maybe just use your initials or make up a cool "gaming name" with less letters. Sorry that happens to you all the time.

ConJe01
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by ConJe01 on May 22, 10 5:55 AM
Okay, I guess I'm out there. Several of you mentioned "FROG". What does that mean? I like this game and am thinking of purchasing. It was mentioned it was a short game. Has anyone purchased it? There are 20(+) chapters. Is that considered short?

Like Glitterbutterfly, it sent me back to the beginning after a couple of chapters.

CJ

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on May 22, 10 5:58 AM
I found this game a little bland. It's OK, I guess but after "Robinson Crusoe" it falls short. The graphics are just a little boring and a few items hard to see but not bad. I could, and did, find most items and was able to get the rest with Hints. The minis have no instruction but the ones I played were easy to figure out. I did get a little annoyed several times when I got my curser too close to an edge and ended up in another room. I do like having to go elsewhere to find parts that are needed in a different location. That is always a nice device for me.

In the Options, I set the talk the loudest with the music, rtc, a good bit quieter but I could not hear the narration and missed some of the story. The music was too loud even though I had set it much lower. That wasn't too bad though, it didn't spoil the game play.

This is a game I may return to at a later date. As for now, it just doesn't catch my interest.

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on May 22, 10 6:12 AM
ConJe01 wrote:Okay, I guess I'm out there. Several of you mentioned "FROG". What does that mean? CJ

FROGs are hidden Object Games with FRagments, where you find pieces that make up the object you are looking for.

Victoria5
Seahorse
Seahorse
32 Posts

[Post New]by Victoria5 on May 22, 10 6:32 AM
This is an interesting game but I wonder if anyone else (the real players out there) notice that the music is from another game. I can't remember which game but I know I have heard this music before -- any guesses or am I alone on thinking this music sounds so familiar. I have not made my mind up on buying it yet but it is good! Happy playing.

nancymc
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by nancymc on May 22, 10 6:50 AM
-I got to Chapter 6 without any problems before my hour was up---I had no music, may be my fault as I never checked options !! Once one gets in the rhythm of the game it seems to be fairly easy. I will probably leave it open until May 31st to see it I need the game for my monthly free quota. Nancymc

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on May 22, 10 7:04 AM
Well I am sorry but it looks like I am the only one annoyed with this game. When you mouse over an area you can see the shape of a missing object so why do they need to keep having those areas keep "flashing" at you, grrrrrrrrr I really, really, really hate that.

Apart from that flashing being annoying in itself, I feel that it is an insult to my intelligence that the game has to keep telling me that it thinks I am incapable of finding where the objects go with just the silhouette to guide me. Just finding bits of an object is boring I like trying to work out what they are to be used for, I do not need telling that there is a piece of mirror missing, I can see that for myself.

Sorry but while there are better games still to be played I will not be buying this one.

C

lucyloket
Guppy
Guppy
138 Posts

[Post New]by lucyloket on May 22, 10 7:13 AM
First - Nancymc - I had the same issue. You need to go to options and increase the volume. I thought I had a glitch!

Second - I must have had a glitch coz I did the first chapter, got to the 2nd chapter & did that........and the game then took me back to the first one again! I did it again thinking I'd done something wrong but it just repeated the first chapter again after that!
I've uninstalled it but IMHO, I won't bother to reload anyway. The graphics & music are okay but the 'shadows' annoyed me, I didn't have to search for the fragments - just random clicking worked and I just know I'd get bored very quickly with this one.

I'm sure it will appeal to a lot of fishies and we have had some great games recently, but this isn't one for me.

zoohouse
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by zoohouse on May 22, 10 7:20 AM
Although this is the type of game that I really enjoy, I found it far too easy. I was on chapter 15 out of 20 when the hour was up. Most items were easy to find and as someone else pointed out, you are shown where everything goes. Where's the challenge in that? Not worth the money IMO. Had the potential to be great, but fell way short.

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on May 22, 10 7:26 AM
When done well, fragmented hidden object games can be fun. Unfortunatly this one is not done well.
The fragments seem to be haphazardly scattered over wishy washy graphic scenes- they are either very obvious to find or so tiny you need a hint.

There are recahargeable hints and the puzzles skippable.

The game does have a strength and that is the story. The story is intriguing and I found myself looking forward to knowing what happens next.

Due to the story I probably would pick this up however the final "no sale" sign for me was the very short length of game. 2 hours maximum it would take me to complete. Maybe if I had a free coupon and nothing else to use it on- or buy during a sale.

nan431
Minnow
Minnow
269 Posts

[Post New]by nan431 on May 22, 10 7:27 AM
Found the game boring, even I had no trouble with the hidden objects.

kkbodine
Guppy
Guppy
131 Posts

[Post New]by kkbodine on May 22, 10 7:35 AM
All I have to say is UGGHHH. This game looked and felt like it was thrown together overnight. Graphics were fuzzy, some of the mini games were not very well explained like on the spot the difference one you have no idea how many differences are left and so on. I am going to pass on this one.

Smallhaven
Rainbowfish
Rainbowfish
42,220 Posts

[Post New]by Smallhaven on May 22, 10 7:42 AM
brandy914 wrote:
Smallhaven wrote:Before I even started the game I was torked. Why is it that some developers only permit names entered of five letters or less?! WTF is up with that?! This may seem minor to most of you but it's a real bugaboo of mine. I guess the developers have short names or use Rick instead of Richard and such. My first name has more than five letters and I do not use nicknames at all. And I'm not going to start because of a game that the developers don't give a carp how many letters are in our name. There was plenty of room in that text box to allow for a longer first name so this makes no sense to me at all.

That is strange I never had that problem before. I have more than 5 letters in my name and the game allowed me to enter my entire name. Maybe just use your initials or make up a cool "gaming name" with less letters. Sorry that happens to you all the time.

This has happened to me on several occasions. I tried over and over and over and said screw it. I'll go help Granny collect kitties instead.

Edited on 05/23/2010 at 4:03:03 AM PST

lentenrose
Minnow
Minnow
286 Posts

[Post New]by lentenrose on May 22, 10 8:51 AM
1. I find it irritating that I have to key in any name at all. I am pretty sure I know who is playing (that would be me) and no one else will see the thing. HOWEVER, I lost that argument long ago - some games won't let you play unless you give a name, some even require it be at least 3 letters long! Just dumb.

2. I prefer looking for objects rather than pieces.

3. The sparkles are to make looking for hidden objects harder - you lose your concentration. They don't think you are unable to remember where things go.

4. I like the artwork. I have been really busy this week so I am playing the games backwards. So I have not seen Robinson C. hope it is as good as y'all say but I cannot compare it to the art and puzzles in this game.

HoudiniCats
Lobster
Lobster
93 Posts

[Post New]by HoudiniCats on May 22, 10 9:24 AM
The comments have been sort of negative, but I don't think it's a bad game at all...it seems (I'm on chapter 6) to be building towards a sort of Emma at Ravenhearst theme...one senses there may be mayhem ahead. The story line (click on the heart in between chapters) told through epistolary style (letters) is intriguing so far.

I got a kick out of the little axe-maiden trundling across the mantel of the fireplace, too.

I didn't think the game was quite so simple-minded as some purport. People rave about Mortimer Beckett (which I've played along with its sequel) and both those fragmentary object games have "outlines" for the spots where the items are eventually placed. There were a couple of mini-games here in Heritage that were pretty arresting, too--

I'm going to try the Robinson Crusoe before I continue and check the length of the game on the walkthrough, but I like this game!! And, I'm likely to purchase it!

redrosesdz
Catfish
Catfish
1,691 Posts

[Post New]by redrosesdz on May 22, 10 9:36 AM
ConJe01 wrote:Okay, I guess I'm out there. Several of you mentioned "FROG". What does that mean? I like this game and am thinking of purchasing. It was mentioned it was a short game. Has anyone purchased it? There are 20(+) chapters. Is that considered short?

Like Glitterbutterfly, it sent me back to the beginning after a couple of chapters.

CJ

The number of chapters doesn't place a game into the "short" category. It's how long it take the average gamer to finish a game. In this case, gamers without technical issues seemed to make it through at least 1/2 of the game in the trial hour. 2 hours for a game is short, unless it is fun to replay.

I am limited in game buying so, here is my criteria:

1. Am I so into the game that I have to keep playing immediately after the hour is up?

2. Is the game re-playable? If yes, how likely am I to play it more than once? If no, will it keep me entertained for at least 3 hours of play?

3. How likely will it be available on another site, where there is unlimited play without buying the game?

Go to: