celticwolf55
Guppy
Guppy
122 Posts

What on earth is the plot?

[Post New]by celticwolf55 on May 22, 10 11:49 PM
I played this game again after uninstalling and reinstalling. I still dont get it. It seems that the husband marries the first wife, when she dies he marries his daughter, when she dies he marries THEIR daughter and so on and so on. What is the deal? It went over my head like a 747. Can someone please explain the plot to me?

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

Re:What on earth is the plot?

[Post New]by ember89 on May 23, 10 10:24 AM
well, i am only so far as the baby being abducted and the marriage falling apart... i thought this was going to be more about WWI and escaping with a child... so far there is nothing to support the description of the game as told by BFG... ???

if the daughter comes back and marries her father and has babies with him, that is just sick

maybe i should quit while i'm ahead

[Post New]by thiagoviol on May 23, 10 6:07 PM
The man marries three times. Before his first wife dies, she tells him that their daughter had died (which is not true - their daughter is secretly being raised by the wife's family). Her second wife is younger than him, and their marriage is arranged. And the third wife is a sick woman, younger than him but older than the second wife. The man never had children in his second and third marriage.

[Post New]by andreacole70 on May 23, 10 6:44 PM
There doesn't seem to be any connection within the story. I also understood that he did not have children with the last two wives. What do the crazy devil worshiping employees from the second marriage have to do with the story? Not to mention the often mentioned butterflies. This story line was ridiculous! Does anyone else have an idea of where to find the story line?
Andrea

celticwolf55
Guppy
Guppy
122 Posts

[Post New]by celticwolf55 on May 24, 10 6:00 PM
Okay, I know what the problem is now. I have absolutely NO narration except at the very beginning and the very end. NO story whatsoever in between. There is only silence except for the sound effects. I have now downloaded the update so maybe I can play this game and make sense of the story line.

celticwolf55
Guppy
Guppy
122 Posts

[Post New]by celticwolf55 on May 24, 10 7:49 PM
I just discovered that you have to click on the photos in the memory locket to get the story. DUH!!!! The problem is...the game gives no directions for anything, not even the minigames. I enjoyed the play, enjoyed the plot (now that I know how to find it) but the basic game directions suck. You have to turn the volume up each time and no matter how many times you turn the volume down on the music, it goes right back to where it was. Glad this one was only 6.99. It isnt worth more than that, if that.

dvdiva
Clownfish
Clownfish
911 Posts

[Post New]by dvdiva on Feb 27, 11 11:10 PM
START

Narrator / Granddaughter: "1916. Europe is at war. I don't want to be here anymore. My daughter and I are going to my grandfather's old manor. Inhabitants at the nearby village tell us stories about spirits.They say these spirits drove my grandfather insane. I'm not scared. War is far more real than ghost stories."

The granddaughter then explores the manor, picking up pieces of the locket which contain stories about her grandfather and his 3 wives.

WIFE #1

They start out as a newly wedded couple living in a manor, and they have a baby. The wife becomes too focused with motherhood, and starts to have difficulties with her husband. She finally gets permission to visit her parents. She leaves the baby with them, telling her husband that the baby died of typhoid. Upon going back home to the manor, the wife succumbs to depression and kills herself. The husband buries her, and sadly, we learn that he really did love her.

WIFE #2

The widower courts another girl, a brunette, and they get married. However, she doesn't really love him, and she prefers to spend her time reading and walking in the woods, instead of performing her 'marital duties'. So the husband suspects her of having an affair with the gardener, and kills the gardener. He then locks up the poor wife in the basement to make her come to her senses. She probably wastes away from depression, and he ends up burying her too.

WIFE #3

This third girl, a blonde, is drawn to the widower because they're both sad and suffering. After they get married, she notices that he is starting to go insane. The spirits show him images of his daughter, who he thought died of typhoid, but is now grown up and married (we presume the narrator is the daughter's daughter). The third wife still suffers from illness, but is glad to spend her last days in the woods rather than at a hospital. When she dies, the man pleads to the spirits / butterflies to take him and end his suffering, admitting defeat.

LAST SCENE

As the granddaughter explores the manor, her own baby daughter is kidnapped. She gets to the last room, the butterfly garden, and they tell her this:

"Congratulations, child. Your determination guided you to us. Fear not, we have your daughter and she is ok. Come with us now. We are your sisters and are waiting for you."

dvdiva
Clownfish
Clownfish
911 Posts

[Post New]by dvdiva on Feb 27, 11 11:13 PM
SEVERAL DECADES LATER

Modern day. A man in sneakers enters the butterfly garden and picks up the locket. Various scenes of the manor flash quickly before his eyes.

The words on the locket are:

For you who found my memories...
I have so much to tell you...

sunshinej
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,313 Posts

[Post New]by sunshinej on Dec 4, 13 5:07 PM
Thanks for the summary dvdiva. It helped to clarify a few points that were confusing me.

I got the feeling after the first wife had the baby she had post partum depression and the more she pulled away from her husband the more he tried to keep her close and I think that is when he started with his jealousy.

FishyFemale
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,174 Posts

[Post New]by FishyFemale on Jan 26, 14 4:02 PM
ember89 wrote:
if the daughter comes back and marries her father and has babies with him, that is just sick

maybe i should quit while i'm ahead

I know most likely no one will ever read this, but I found this post to really tickle my funny bone. Ember89, you are hilarious. Loved your use of the !!!

dollyflower
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,373 Posts

[Post New]by dollyflower on May 23, 14 8:53 AM
I'm playing the game for the third time because I like it that much. I never get too caught up in the plot, but I agree that it's not what BFG described it to be. I just go from frame to frame and don't think about the plot, just the game play. Happy summer!

Go to: