Good Game?

kelnjor
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,088 Posts

Good Game?

[Post New]by kelnjor on May 23, 10 1:46 AM
I am interested in hearing some more reviews before i try/buy this game. the few comments posted so far arent that great...it does look interesting and i will prob demo later (am d/l robinson curuso at moment), but if anyone else is currently playing or finished would like to hear your thoughts

Thanks

talisman018
Guppy
Guppy
148 Posts

Re:Good Game?

[Post New]by talisman018 on May 23, 10 2:52 AM
I agree with kelnjor. I'm not prepared to jump into buying it without a few more actual reviews. (No offense to those who have written earlier in this game's Forum.) There have been way too many games stuck into the Adventure category that are really just HOGs or IHOGs with puzzle elements.

Dear Big Fish: I am not vigorously complaining here, I know you work hard and have a huge catalog to somehow categorize... but I really do think that you need to revamp your system a bit. Perhaps instead of merely stating that a game is X, you could say that it is X & Y or X & Z?

Example that many of us fishies know well: "MCF: Return To Ravenhurst" can be described as primarily a HOG with strong puzzle elements. So you could put "MCF: Return To Ravenhurst" - Hidden Object + Puzzle. That doesn't take up that much extra room and the description is now more accurate.

Also, I suggest that you add RPGs to your category list. There's already a specific page IF you know the link to find it with. (I bookmarked it, since I am an RPG fiend.) Thanks!

Off my soapbox now and back to the subject, "Hotel": It looks like it might be something like "Syberia". I would class it with "Nostradamus: The Last Prophecy" as well, though without the first-person perspective and a bit more dialogue. Puzzle + Adventure, maybe?

I hope that more reviews come in so I can decide if this is a good one. I have some really bad ones in the past and don't want to make the same mistakes again.

Edited on 05/23/2010 at 2:53:28 AM PST

ivanbral
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
423 Posts

[Post New]by ivanbral on May 23, 10 3:04 AM
Hello,

my name is Ivan Bralic and I'm the Executive Producer / Production Designer in Cateia Games - the developer behind "Hotel".
I cannot tell you if the game is good or not, for it wouldn't be fair, right?
But, I can ensure you that this is a full-fledged adventure and not a HOG. You can compare this with Syberia or our previous adventure game The Legend of Crystal Valley.

Pepper010
Stingray
Stingray
4,977 Posts

[Post New]by Pepper010 on May 23, 10 3:10 AM
Yes, this is a good game. It took me a wee bit to learn how to maneuver the heroine, but after that I was just really into the game. It's spooky, and has various challenges. The one early on with the copper wire was a fun surprise.

Sometimes the handling of objects and actions becomes a little awkward, but it's also a learning curve, I think. I wish that dialogues didn't get repeated; that instead a character when approached again could just say something like "I've already said what's on my mind for now" or something.

It's mysterious, with good graphics, and challenges. As soon as my trial was up, I raced to buy it.

Raska
Lobster
Lobster
99 Posts

[Post New]by Raska on May 23, 10 3:35 AM
Hello,

I have played almost all the "good" adventure games of the past 10-15 ? years and I think this one is a bit old fashioned but enjoyable... An adventure game without sound ? Or is this a bug !

I first thought that I wouldn't like that game, because I didn't like the graphics..but...I changed my resolution (1920 x 1080) and now it looks very nice !

I like the story and I think I'm going to enjoy playing it !

Someone compared the game with Syberia...I wouldn't go that far. Syberia is one of the best games I played and the story was great, but there are not a lot adventure games like Syberia...

Raska

Edited on 05/24/2010 at 9:39:58 AM PST

divegal
Minnow
Minnow
246 Posts

[Post New]by divegal on May 23, 10 3:36 AM
ivanbral wrote:Hello,

my name is Ivan Bralic and I'm the Executive Producer / Production Designer in Cateia Games - the developer behind "Hotel".
I cannot tell you if the game is good or not, for it wouldn't be fair, right?
But, I can ensure you that this is a full-fledged adventure and not a HOG. You can compare this with Syberia or our previous adventure game The Legend of Crystal Valley.

Thank you for dropping in with that awesome news. I'm excited about this one!

prchalpn
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,132 Posts

[Post New]by prchalpn on May 23, 10 3:38 AM
Thank you ivanbral! Love adventure games. DL'ing now. Can't wait to give it a whirl. If it's as good as it looks, I'll be buying this one.

Pepper010
Stingray
Stingray
4,977 Posts

[Post New]by Pepper010 on May 23, 10 3:43 AM
I'm adding a caution--the game did not automatically save my progress when the demo time ended.

I left a note in the tech issues thread as well.

An aside--it's silly to have to get the wrench out of the inventory four separate times to use it!

ivanbral
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
423 Posts

[Post New]by ivanbral on May 23, 10 3:48 AM
game will auto-save every 10 minutes. Also, it will auto-save when you exit the game using "Exit to Main Menu" or "Exit the game".

a tip: you should manually save every now and then. you can use the F2 key on your keyboard for "quick-save"

Pepper010
Stingray
Stingray
4,977 Posts

[Post New]by Pepper010 on May 23, 10 3:52 AM
Hi Ivan,

I replied in the tech issues thread. I really like this game! Very spooky and mysterious, with, so far, lots to do.

Thanks for dropping in to visit with us.

katejoe999
Herring
Herring
308 Posts

[Post New]by katejoe999 on May 23, 10 3:55 AM
I'm really enjoying the game but I seem to have hit a glitch. I met Therese in the Templar cemetery and the dialogue ended with 'not found' or something and I now can't move out of the screen, access inventory or menu!
Had to shut down game in task manager - game not saved! !!! Back at the first night dream.
Should have saved manually I guess.
Gah.

Edited on 05/23/2010 at 4:04:24 AM PST

genkicoll
Stingray
Stingray
5,732 Posts

[Post New]by genkicoll on May 23, 10 4:35 AM
Oh, yes! I was thinking it reminded me of Legend of Crystal Valley when I looked at the screens I surely do love it when developers drop in

Perhaps instead of merely stating that a game is X, you could say that it is X & Y or X & Z?

They already do this. When you click on a game to read about it and decide to try or buy, scroll down and look at the bottom left of the page. All categories that the game fits in are listed there.

This game has Adventure, Puzzle and HOG listed.

ivanbral
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
423 Posts

[Post New]by ivanbral on May 23, 10 4:57 AM
hi katejoe99,
thanks for your warning about that dialog "not found". the game was rigorously tested and we apologize for any inconvenience. seems like no one noticed this, unfortunately. however, I think you can proceed without finishing the dialog with Theresa. I believe that she gives only some feedback and information, but it's not vital to finish talking to her to progress.

sorry once again - we'll do our best to correct this as soon as possible!

ivanbral
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
423 Posts

[Post New]by ivanbral on May 23, 10 5:39 AM
when "not found" is displayed in dialog with Theresa, and everything disappears from the screen, just press Space and the game will resume like nothing happened.

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

Good Game?

[Post New]by sinshack on May 23, 10 6:21 AM
kelnjor wrote:I am interested in hearing some more reviews before i try/buy this game. the few comments posted so far arent that great...it does look interesting and i will prob demo later (am d/l robinson curuso at moment), but if anyone else is currently playing or finished would like to hear your thoughts

Thanks

Why wait for a review just to try it? The trial period is free, and you can decide for yourself if it's the kind of game you like. I do like reading other user's reviews, but I'll still give it a free trail if I think it might be interesting. After all, the Delete trashcan is always avaiable if I decide it just doesn't suit me.

obrien60
Guppy
Guppy
168 Posts

[Post New]by obrien60 on May 23, 10 6:29 AM
Amen sinshack!

[Post New]by OregonPandora on May 23, 10 6:34 AM
Hello Ivanbral. Well I love adventure games and I loved Legend of Crystal Valley so I am downloading now and happy to get it. We get very few adventure games here. Thanks.

ivanbral
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
423 Posts

[Post New]by ivanbral on May 23, 10 6:59 AM
Hi OregonPandora,
thanks! we really hope you'll have some great time playing Hotel!

Sister13
Starfish
Starfish
50 Posts

[Post New]by Sister13 on May 23, 10 7:07 AM
Hallo Ivanbral...just want to say that I love this one, I already played Crystal Valley as well and just go on making Adventures like this

Sis

bball111
Guppy
Guppy
194 Posts

[Post New]by bball111 on May 23, 10 7:23 AM
Most adventure games are "large file " games? How did they do this in such a small file? Little sound ?

Edited on 05/23/2010 at 7:25:53 AM PST

Go to: