bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Your Comments and Review for Hotel

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on May 23, 10 2:35 AM
Hey Fishies!

What do you think of Hotel? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

Re:Your Comments and Review for Hotel

[Post New]by booksbooks0 on May 23, 10 3:23 AM
So I just finished my one hour trial of this game, and although i THOUGHT I was stuck about 20 minutes in, i sat and thought about it and used my logic, and now I am back to adventuring.

I so far really like this game, and thank goodness its not another HOG!!! (dont get me wrong sometimes I like a good HOG, but I needed a change)

Great graphics, and overall a pretty good game. Have added this to my "Must Buy" list

TerryMann
Shark
Shark
10,717 Posts

[Post New]by TerryMann on May 23, 10 4:41 AM
I played for about for 40 minutes before, I uninstalled the game. I apologize but the game was very dark, the graphics were great, but a little fuzzy. I have to admit though, some parts were a little eerie, which I found exciting. I believe you also need to save your progress, F1 or F2, can't remember. If you are into Adventure games I would definately recommend this one, I was pleased to see some fishies enjoying this game and I say to you all.......Happy Gaming!!

Edited on 05/23/2010 at 5:24:39 AM PST

tatajojo
Lobster
Lobster
85 Posts

[Post New]by tatajojo on May 23, 10 4:47 AM
Hi everyone

As a good "fish", I found this game good overall but extremely disappointed that we are at the mercy of so many technical flaws, do actually people at BigFish try these games out before releasing them? Because I don't think this is the case, many people who paid to play it fully are stuck by some sort of encoding ressembling : </unfound> just when ending the dialogue with Theresa. Also it would be rather useful to warn people in advance that if you buy that sort of game you'll have to start all over again...now I am not only expecting BigFish to resolve that technical matter but to do so without any of us to have to restart everything from the start when you are towards the end of the game.

lindaa1
Guppy
Guppy
142 Posts

[Post New]by lindaa1 on May 23, 10 4:55 AM
I'm enjoying the demo and am going to buy it. Not found any technical glitches yet with 5 minutes left to go. This is my favourite kind of game - an adventure with nice graphics based in a spooky old castle. Definite buy!

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on May 23, 10 5:05 AM
This would be a great game for someone who has never played a traditional adventure game. The game play is like an adventure game but you are given Hints to the locations of all the hot spots and entrances and exits in each scene. This feature certainly lowers the frustration level that I sometimes have while aimlessly wandering in other adventure games. Unfortunately the hot spot hints stay active even after you have completed everything you can do at that spot. That can be a little confusing since you may think there is still some action to complete at that spot.

There is even a tutorial at the beginning of the game to show you how to navigate in the game and use your inventory. If you enjoy playing adventure games by the traditional touch, look at and investigate everything you can play that way by just choosing not to click on the Hint button.

The Options menu has lots of choices for the sound and video preferences and there is not a custom cursor, so there are no worries about that.

You can skip dialogues and cut scenes by pressing the Space Bar and you can speed up the detective’s walking by holding the Space Bar. After you have visited scenes in an area, you can just double click an exit from the scene and you will be taken to the next scene entrance without having to plod along step by step. I really enjoyed having that double click option. The entrances and exits around the edges of the scenes are sometimes a little hard to find.

There is a lot of dialogue to read but that is typical for an adventure game. The story is a mystery with a supernatural element woven in for interest. I was eager to see what would happen next and the unusual storyline held my interest. It does get a bit violent toward the end of the game.

The few puzzles in the game are not too difficult and were enjoyable to play. I would like to have seen more puzzles to balance out all of the time spent on the story dialogue. The game is a good length and is worth the price. It should give you a pleasant day of entertainment.

I know there will be a great walkthrough available for this game but because the in-game hint system is so informative you can buy this game without the fear that you will become hopelessly lost or frustrated without a walkthrough.

This game was created by the same developer that created The Legend of Crystal Valley.

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on May 23, 10 5:30 AM
I'm intrigued but I'm an idiot at games like Nancy Drew and other large file games. I end up walking into walls and missing things I'm supposed to pick up and use. Is this like one of those or more like Dire Grove? Dire Grove was hard but manageable.

MargieB
Salmon
Salmon
2,658 Posts

[Post New]by MargieB on May 23, 10 5:37 AM
Good Morning Everyone!

We do have a complete walkthrough for Hotel.
Not sure why the link is not available but I will send a note into the office to see if we can get this issue fixed.

Sorry about the inconvenience, will update the post as soon as the walkthrough goes live.

Thanks,

MargieB

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on May 23, 10 5:40 AM
snapnhiss wrote:I'm intrigued but I'm an idiot at games like Nancy Drew and other large file games. I end up walking into walls and missing things I'm supposed to pick up and use. Is this like one of those or more like Dire Grove? Dire Grove was hard but manageable.

This game play is like an adventure game but you are given Hints to the locations of all the hot spots and entrances and exits in each scene. So don't worry about missing anything just press the Hint button!

Edited on 05/23/2010 at 5:41:16 AM PST

[Post New]by glitterbutterfly on May 23, 10 5:53 AM
I enjoyed this and will buy it - if you're leaving it for any reason though, remember to save - it's not done automatically. I learned that the hard way with The Legend of Crystal Valley.

I'm sure I'll get lots of play out of this. I do love adventure games but I don't seem to have the right natural thought process to get through them, so the hint system sounds good for me, but I haven't had to use it yet. I had no technical issues, but I have a very new laptop and rarely do so don't take my word for it, and it's possible some will develop further in. I was actually quite scared by the first cutscene but I'm well-known as a wimp (or a "fearty" as some say here in Glasgow ) and I'm looking forward to seeing what else happens, particularly since I'm bedridden with a rotten cold and sinus headache.

Why are the policemen in the game so grumpy, though?

biomix
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,854 Posts

[Post New]by biomix on May 23, 10 6:41 AM
To LizzieK;

Great review. You have answered all of my questions. Was wondering about the difficulty level of this one. I will give it a try. I had no problems with 'Legend of Crystal Valley" so looking forward to the demo.
Thanks LizzieK

lindaa1
Guppy
Guppy
142 Posts

[Post New]by lindaa1 on May 23, 10 6:57 AM
Wish there was a walkthrough though!

Edited on 05/23/2010 at 7:00:30 AM PST

boptab
Guppy
Guppy
164 Posts

[Post New]by boptab on May 23, 10 7:00 AM
I loved legend of crystal valley, so I'll probably like this also. I'll play it next month and if I do like it i'll buy it next month...my game card is full. Thanks so the info everyone..

mcquigan
Clownfish
Clownfish
726 Posts

[Post New]by mcquigan on May 23, 10 7:49 AM
Hooray! A real adventure game.
I love walking around, talking to the characters, and putting it together in my mind.
Graphics good, music okay, lots of video/audio options.
One person said that it was a dark game; I have not seen this as yet.

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on May 23, 10 8:06 AM
i played about 10 mins, and that was quite enough for me!

angelfishsb
Minnow
Minnow
258 Posts

[Post New]by angelfishsb on May 23, 10 8:09 AM
I was hoping I would have a game to play while waiting for The Heritage to be fixed but I don't like games where I have to move the characters around. I never seem to be able to accomplish much. I guess I am not good at multi-tasking.

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on May 23, 10 9:09 AM
I loved Legend of the Crystal Valley and am going to buy this after only playing half of the demo.

mountfalcon
Lobster
Lobster
99 Posts

[Post New]by mountfalcon on May 23, 10 9:32 AM
I particularly like the mechanics of this game - simple clicks and double clicks are easy to use. I found the hint feature a useful check in case I'd missed anything. For once, the puzzles are actually logical, and there are no silly things to do to make progress which don't fit in with the gameplay. I had no technical problems and no problem with the brightness; also, despite the comment above, I found that the game saved at exactly the point where I left it. I find that I often abandon adventure games before the end because I get fed up looking for something irrelevant, evidently just for the sake of it, or I have to perform an action which doesn't make sense to any sane person - but this has a sensible plotline, and the dialogue (complained of in one of the other forums) is relevant and carries the story along. I'm really enjoying this, and as there's no pressure, am happy to take my time over it. An entertaining little game.

dewieee
Minnow
Minnow
228 Posts

[Post New]by dewieee on May 23, 10 9:47 AM
I love, love this type of game! I found my love of gaming from an adventure game site that helped promote people that made new games. I wish we had more like this, or perhaps not as I would be broke.

Happy adventuring!

[Post New]by beverlyiam on May 23, 10 10:07 AM
I find this game to be very frustrating! The hint button is absolutely useless. I don't want to keep getting help from the rest of the users. This type of game is addictive and interesting, so please, make it a little more "user" friendly.

Edited on 05/23/2010 at 10:08:45 AM PST

Go to: