wilkesy83
Starfish
Starfish
44 Posts

Spoiler: What does the ending mean?

[Post New]by wilkesy83 on May 23, 10 10:47 AM
I just played this and am completely dumbfounded. I thought I knew what was happening but...seems not!

If someone could give me some idea that would be great!

 
april445
Guppy
Guppy
140 Posts

Re:Spoiler: What does the ending mean?

[Post New]by april445 on May 23, 10 1:32 PM
I'm in the same boat. I replayed the ending and had my sound turned up. This time I heard the butterflies (?) talking to Donna saying they have her baby and she should come and join them. I believe Donna was the first wife. Remember she said "I told him she (the baby) had died from Typhoid" as if something else had really happened.
Then it goes to decades later and the person exploring the house finds the locket.
It said in the overview you are playing as his granddaughter but since his only child died how can that be?
Great story but not so good an ending. Leaves me with more questions than answers.

 
emerance
Guppy
Guppy
129 Posts

Re:Spoiler: What does the ending mean?

[Post New]by emerance on May 23, 10 4:53 PM
I am equally baffled. Did they even try to write the story before doing the game? Each "Chapter" is weirder than the next. The story doesn't make sense. I agree about the granddaughter - how does that make sense if he had no children? And why did all these women agree to marry him???? What utter nonsense - even given the mores of the Victorian era, surely a man whose wives keep dying would be under suspicion (not to mention having offed a gardener!)

 
Akamar
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

Re:Spoiler: What does the ending mean?

[Post New]by Akamar on May 23, 10 5:32 PM
I rather suspected that the daughter may have been left with her (Donna?) family when she went to visit them just before she killed herself. I suppose we'll never know, it doesn't seem they follow up on it.

 

Re:Spoiler: What does the ending mean?

[Post New]by thiagoviol on May 23, 10 5:59 PM
The player is indeed the granddaughter. Her mother, secretly, left her to be raised with her family, and told her husband that their child had died. Several years later, the man is tormented by visions of his daughter as an adult, and getting married (from this union the player is born). Such visions are, in fact, the reality, shown to him by the spirits of the woods, that ends up adding to his growing dementia. By uncovering this and the other secrets, the spirits grants the player the gift of reunion with her baby as a reward, by becoming one of them. The player accepts, but left behind her own tale, in the form of a locket, found many years later by someone.

As for no one suspecting his wives dying (or the gardener), the solitude of the place and the wilderness near the manor provided enough cover.

 

Re:Spoiler: What does the ending mean?

[Post New]by andreacole70 on May 23, 10 6:53 PM
Sorry, that explanation does not cover or patch up all the myriad of holes in this story. There are so many other parts of the story that do not make sense.

 
LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

Re:Spoiler: What does the ending mean?

[Post New]by LizzieK on May 23, 10 7:01 PM
thiagoviol wrote:The player is indeed the granddaughter. Her mother, secretly, left her to be raised with her family, and told her husband that their child had died. Several years later, the man is tormented by visions of his daughter as an adult, and getting married (from this union the player is born). Such visions are, in fact, the reality, shown to him by the spirits of the woods, that ends up adding to his growing dementia. By uncovering this and the other secrets, the spirits grants the player the gift of reunion with her baby as a reward, by becoming one of them. The player accepts, but left behind her own tale, in the form of a locket, found many years later by someone.

As for no one suspecting his wives dying (or the gardener), the solitude of the place and the wilderness near the manor provided enough cover.
If this is the rest of the story why isn't any of this explained in the game? How can people who play the game draw these conclusions?

 
Sunny8
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

Re:Spoiler: What does the ending mean?

[Post New]by Sunny8 on May 23, 10 7:06 PM
I can't believe someone actually made it to the end. I can't get past the 1st scene

 

Re:Spoiler: What does the ending mean?

[Post New]by thiagoviol on May 23, 10 7:25 PM
andreacole70 wrote:Sorry, that explanation does not cover or patch up all the myriad of holes in this story. There are so many other parts of the story that do not make sense.


LizzieK wrote:If this is the rest of the story why isn't any of this explained in the game? How can people who play the game draw these conclusions?


If you point them, I'd be happy to explain. Please note that a lot in the story is intencionally left open to subjective interpretation.



 

Re:Spoiler: What does the ending mean?

[Post New]by jmk_8578 on May 23, 10 8:44 PM
This was probably the worst game I've played from Big Fish. The story did not make any sense, there was no explination for anything (the butterflies,who actaully took the baby) and the ending came so fast I didn't even know what happened, I was watching it and then a second later I was at the main screen again! And another thing, everytime I would launch the game, I would have to go into the options and turn up the volume for the music and sound effects.VERY dissapointing.

 
brookings
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
454 Posts

Re:Spoiler: What does the ending mean?

[Post New]by brookings on May 23, 10 8:58 PM
I did enjoy playing the game, but I didn't understand the story, and the ending was just nothing. I never did hear any conversations because that volume was so low. I thought| I didn't understand because I'm old, things are hard for some of us seniors.

 
mimmiyh5
Seahorse
Seahorse
37 Posts

Re:Spoiler: What does the ending mean?

[Post New]by mimmiyh5 on May 24, 10 2:55 AM
Are we supposed to be following a story in these games?

 
wilkesy83
Starfish
Starfish
44 Posts

Re:Spoiler: What does the ending mean?

[Post New]by wilkesy83 on May 24, 10 6:11 AM
thiagoviol wrote:The player is indeed the granddaughter. Her mother, secretly, left her to be raised with her family, and told her husband that their child had died. Several years later, the man is tormented by visions of his daughter as an adult, and getting married (from this union the player is born). Such visions are, in fact, the reality, shown to him by the spirits of the woods, that ends up adding to his growing dementia. By uncovering this and the other secrets, the spirits grants the player the gift of reunion with her baby as a reward, by becoming one of them. The player accepts, but left behind her own tale, in the form of a locket, found many years later by someone.

As for no one suspecting his wives dying (or the gardener), the solitude of the place and the wilderness near the manor provided enough cover.


The grand daughter?? When was a grand daughter born??

I thought the baby that the first wife hid before killing herself was the madmans daughter too, not his grand daughter.

And what are the three spirits at the end saying to us? Why is the grand daughter joining them? And what is her connection with the second & third wife?

Why are the butterflies there? What is their purpose?


 
Lady_Rae
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

Re:Spoiler: What does the ending mean?

[Post New]by Lady_Rae on May 24, 10 6:32 AM
The butterflies are evil spirits who desire to drive the man insane by stealing his child and then killing his wives. Why they do this, I have no idea.

At least that was my interpretation.

And I agree, the voices were way too soft, the cut scenes were in desperate need of subtitles

 

Re:Spoiler: What does the ending mean?

[Post New]by thiagoviol on May 24, 10 3:23 PM
wilkesy83 wrote:
The grand daughter?? When was a grand daughter born??

I thought the baby that the first wife hid before killing herself was the madmans daughter too, not his grand daughter.

And what are the three spirits at the end saying to us? Why is the grand daughter joining them? And what is her connection with the second & third wife?



I'm sorry if I couldn't be clear in my previous post. The girl hidden by the first wife is really the madman's daughter. This girl later becomes the player's mother. The second and third wife doesn't have anything in common with the player.

About the identity of the three spirits at the end, there are hints scattered throught the chapters. I'm not telling who or what they are right away.

Not to be mysterious, just don't want to spoil other people's interpretations.

If someone wants to know, PM me.

 

Re:Spoiler: What does the ending mean?

[Post New]by BonnieBlue102 on May 25, 10 7:33 AM
jmk_8578 wrote:This was probably the worst game I've played from Big Fish. The story did not make any sense, there was no explination for anything (the butterflies,who actaully took the baby) and the ending came so fast I didn't even know what happened, I was watching it and then a second later I was at the main screen again! And another thing, everytime I would launch the game, I would have to go into the options and turn up the volume for the music and sound effects.VERY dissapointing.

 

Re:Spoiler: What does the ending mean?

[Post New]by BonnieBlue102 on May 25, 10 7:34 AM
I must say I played the game with no bugs or problems. Just finished it and I'm STILL waiting for the "STUNNING" ending.

 
Ukiah
Squid
Squid
64 Posts

Re:Spoiler: What does the ending mean?

[Post New]by Ukiah on May 25, 10 8:11 AM
BonnieBlue102 wrote:I must say I played the game with no bugs or problems. Just finished it and I'm STILL waiting for the "STUNNING" ending.


As am I. I tried to adjust my volume to hear what was being said at the end, but it only caused me to go to the main menu, so I never did hear what was said.

I am more stunned that BFG released this wreck of a game.

Ukiah

 

Re:Spoiler: What does the ending mean?

[Post New]by chris122049 on May 25, 10 9:48 AM
For the people who have gotten this game to play, what kind of computer systems are you using? This might help solve the fix problem!!!

 
_Angel_angel
Minnow
Minnow
284 Posts

Re:Spoiler: What does the ending mean?

[Post New]by _Angel_angel on Jun 10, 10 4:44 PM
thiagoviol wrote:The player is indeed the granddaughter. Her mother, secretly, left her to be raised with her family, and told her husband that their child had died. Several years later, the man is tormented by visions of his daughter as an adult, and getting married (from this union the player is born). Such visions are, in fact, the reality, shown to him by the spirits of the woods, that ends up adding to his growing dementia. By uncovering this and the other secrets, the spirits grants the player the gift of reunion with her baby as a reward, by becoming one of them. The player accepts, but left behind her own tale, in the form of a locket, found many years later by someone.

As for no one suspecting his wives dying (or the gardener), the solitude of the place and the wilderness near the manor provided enough cover.


Excellent wrap up thia!

I would guess that you are 100% correct!

 
 
 
 
Go to: