bfgZambezi
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,858 Posts

Talk with the developers of Hotel here!

[Post New]by bfgZambezi on May 27, 10 8:58 AM
Hey Fishies!

This is your space to post game questions for the Cateia Games developers who created Hotel. You can use this thread for game tips, questions and discussions about the game, and general questions or suggestions for the developers!

Let's avoid discussing tech issues in this thread and post those questions in the official technical issues discussion. Just click here to go there now.

Happy gaming everyone!

-bfgZambezi

ivanbral
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
423 Posts

Re:Talk with the developers of Hotel here!

[Post New]by ivanbral on May 27, 10 9:04 AM
Hi everyone,
my name is Ivan Bralic and I'm the Executive Producer / Production Designer in Cateia Games - the developer behind "Hotel". We are constantly doing our best to improve our games and we would like to hear your suggestions and comments.

amj0963
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,544 Posts

[Post New]by amj0963 on May 27, 10 8:07 PM
hi ivanbral welcome to the pond

i haven't purchased hotel as of yet will get this weekend. this is my first adventure and i am having a little difficulty as i am not used to this type of game but i will preserver and figure it out (just not used to walking around in circles)

i love the graphics, i love scary movies and games and this one is right up my alley. i hope that you will continue to make games with this type of genre because there are a lot of here that like this type of game. keep up the good work.

[Post New]by Shirl411 on May 27, 10 9:25 PM
Ok Ive used half my trial time trying to pick up the wire! I can't pick anything up. I also found the key behind the desk but can't pick it up! I click on the item and nothing happens

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on May 27, 10 11:07 PM
sort out the bugs BEFORE you release it.
fire your gamers that supposedly would play this game to see if there was any bugs before it was released

Apart from the bugs (which I eventually worked around, never sorted - game crashed on me every 10 mins and obviously as no autosave - lost loads of time redoing it!)
I did really enjoy it. It was obvious (in a good way) what to do next, not too many places to explore to find this out at a time.

I would only say it was too short, it would have been nice if it was longer. Didn't like the labyrynth game.

glad there wasn't that much dialogue, which is really good (hate loads of dialogue as I feel I am being duped - less puzzles etc). And it was good that the objects etc made sense when are where to use them (not like return to mysterious island!) and you can complete this without a walkthrough which is refreshing.

A bit more interactive )pick objects up and use them) would be good.

I love adventure games and one that isn't hidden objects or not turturous in what to do next is rare - so well done on that

ivanbral
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
423 Posts

[Post New]by ivanbral on May 27, 10 11:57 PM
Hi everyone,

to amj0963:
thanks! we're glad that you like the game!

to Shirl411:
when you click on item, you'll get the "magnifying glass" and the "hand" (icons). then you must confirm your choice. to pick up the item, click on the "Hand" icon and Biggi will take it.

to gingergal:
the game was tested but it's impossible to predict everything. there are so many hardware / software combination out there that makes it very difficult for developers.
we're working on new version, and I'm glad to say that we have successfully addressed all issues reported on this forum. BigFish will announce it as soon as the new version is available for download.

Edited on 05/31/2010 at 1:55:29 AM PST

peeshee_1951
Stingray
Stingray
5,444 Posts

[Post New]by peeshee_1951 on May 30, 10 8:57 PM
Just finished Hotel and that was really fun. A large file game that you don't have to have a walkthrough every step of the way. Love the hints available in case you're lost. Good graphics, good story line, and I love her snarky comments to people. Very funny. Just wanted to say thank you for a really fun game that even has some re-playability if you wait a while(very short while with my memory) Bring us more like this!

ivanbral
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
423 Posts

[Post New]by ivanbral on May 31, 10 12:12 AM
Hi peeshee_1951
Thanks for your kind words! We're glad you enjoyed the game.

Lunarea
Guppy
Guppy
153 Posts

[Post New]by Lunarea on May 31, 10 5:50 PM
I posted a review, but I reserved my comments for the developers for this thread. There are a couple of suggestions I'd like to make:

1- Consider adding a third "icon" that would show the player they need to use an item in a location. Because it's not always obvious that I have to use an item somewhere. For example, I had to look at the walkthrough to figure out I needed to use the hammer on the vase. When I examined a vase, it didn't give any indicators that it was significant and I thought it was just another "descriptive" text like most areas had. Some adventure games use a gear or a question mark, but even just a differently-colored magnifying glass would do the trick.

2- I got used to clicking on an object and choosing view vs pick up, but it's so much easier to keep them as separate buttons.

Overall, I thought your game was nice. There wasn't much direction and I was often at a loss when figuring out where to go next, but I can understand that you wanted to let the player explore rather than be guided by specific hints. I do also wish it were longer. But maybe the sequels or other games will be!

tatoofizz
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
18 Posts

got stuck at the bridge

[Post New]by tatoofizz on May 31, 10 6:46 PM
I'd like to say I really like the game, but there must be at least two bugs - I got stuck on the bridge at the end of the game.
I am supposed to have a rope in my inventory - the one I used in the well.

Well, rs, it is no on the inventory and I can't go back to the well, I'm stuck on the bridge.

It happened in the basement too, But I was luckier then and managed to go back after a thousand attempts.

ivanbral
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
423 Posts

[Post New]by ivanbral on May 31, 10 11:31 PM
to Lunarea:
We always appreciate to hear comments from our players as we're constantly looking for ways to improve our games.

the right + left click would not be the best thing to do since most of our players would find that more difficult then using only left click. I hope you understand.

As you said, we wanted players to explore and investigate on their own instead of giving them too much hints. The game is about 4-5 hours in length (depends how skilled you are with adventure games)

to tatoofizz:
the situation you have with the rope is really strange (you're the only one that reported this). We'll take a look at it. Meantime, you can try to load a previous location (still in the village) and repeat some steps before you make it to the bridge. Sorry for the inconvenience.

[Post New]by littledipper on Jun 1, 10 12:00 AM
Bravo!! and thank you for a great game. I kept reading all this negative stuff about the game, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Hated to see it end. I had no poblems with bugs or such. Look forward to the next one!!!!

kspes
Squid
Squid
76 Posts

[Post New]by kspes on Jun 1, 10 6:59 AM
don't worry, most of the bugs have already been fixed, we won't leave people hanging
---
Kresimir Spes
Cateia Games

mdgram
Seahorse
Seahorse
37 Posts

[Post New]by mdgram on Jun 1, 10 7:16 AM
Played the demo and bought it yesterday during the sale. Looking forward to playing the rest of the game.

runewarden
Herring
Herring
300 Posts

[Post New]by runewarden on Jun 1, 10 7:37 PM
Hi :-)

Just finished Hotel and saw this thread and thought I'd drop by and share my thoughts. Please note, this is a review for the developer, so liable to be harsher than a review for a player.

Overall I enjoyed this title, I found it very easy to play - really too easy - but I was pleased that the tasks were all logical, though yet again in an adventure title - the size of that woman's pockets, did you see the size of the ladders she slipped away? ;-) The puzzles were also easy, and some a bit oddly placed, the puzzle for the 'truth' at the end - I may have missed the relevance, but it seemed irrelevant and really, for the completion of the tasks, anti-climatic. I wanted something, not just a bit of dominoes then off you go to save the world.

The graphics in this title were mediocre. The backdrops were good - not excellent, but above par. The human graphics were awful. Blocky, lacking detail - no advance from the previous title from this developer. For the work that appeared to be put into the backgrounds, it was really ruined by lacking people graphics/sprites.

Dialogue was also a let down. I think any LFG/Adventure game worth it's salt, especially one so short like this should have spoken dialogue. I also feel that the process of recording dialogue often sorts out those stilted phrases that appear when it's never spoken out loud, and this game did suffer from a lot of unbelievable dialogue, things phrased in a fashion that isn't how people speak. Dialogue was also a let down due to the very linear nature of it - a few choices in what to say would have been nice. It may have made no odds on the plot line, but it allows the player to feel involved. This - the way the dialogue was, the 'choices' open on what to ask were meaningless, and all of the dialogue would have been better played as a cutscene, or a scene that you could just click through. All in all, the dialogue in both delivery, content and use was a let down for this game.

The plot line for this game was hap-hazard. We had hints at supernatural things going on, then nothing happens, a weird dream, no consequence (other than a statue that we'd have found anyways) - then at the end there's this big plot line which really was meaningless by the time we found out about it, because as quick as we found out - the game was over. Less of a ''that's interesting'' more a ''that's nice, what's next? oh it's over... oh well!''

runewarden
Herring
Herring
300 Posts

[Post New]by runewarden on Jun 1, 10 7:39 PM
The game length was much too short for an adventure game. I really felt like the game was just starting, then it ended. I think had the game been longer and more put into it, the plot would have had meaning, and the locations could have been useful. I mean the breakfast room off the courtyard was completely pointless.

It's late so my review is a bit disjointed, but all in all - it was a playable game, and worth the few quid it cost to play - but certainly in comparison to point and click adventures nowadays, very lacking - and outdated. It was professional looking, but did appear rushed/unfinished. Especially with the multiple bugs in the first build.

I think that the developers should look at other titles that are in a similar vein to this and look to produce something with the same level of involvement, puzzles etc. I've long enjoyed point and clicks, and there's a lot to look at. Even the old games from the 90s are worth a look as they were always long and involved games, my personal favourite being Tex Murphy the Pandora Directive.

There is potential for a good title from this developer, but this, and the previous title aren't it.

ihateshopping
Guppy
Guppy
125 Posts

[Post New]by ihateshopping on Jun 2, 10 5:10 AM
@runewarden:
Yes, it WOULD be nice if this was like the adventure games of the 90s (my personal favorites being the entire Myst and Broken Sword series), however the cost of producing a mega adventure is too cost prohibitive. After all, except for CEs, games are only $6.99 USD. Now, if modern, quality Adventure games WERE produced, I'd pay $20.00 USD, but they aren't, so we take what we can get.

@ivanbral:
I really enjoyed playing the first 2 chapters, and look forward to playing the rest when a fix comes out (game crashes at the end of chapter 2). While, by no means, the caliber of something like Myst, I think it's a pretty good game and a really nice change from the hidden object games...I only started playing these after I purchased most of the older adventure games BFG has available...I play because there are so few adventure games.

Personally, as long as the adventure is there, I don't mind so much if the production values aren't movie quality. I can't comment on the rest of the game, since I can't play it, yet, but I like what I've played so far. Please, keep making more. Even if they're imperfect, I'll probably buy them.

aliah1
Seahorse
Seahorse
39 Posts

[Post New]by aliah1 on Jun 2, 10 7:38 PM
Very smooth from begining to the great ending. Beautiful graphics intresting story line easy interaction and hints.

Overall I would give it a 10* thanks for a great game

Aliah

SandraSwede
Shark
Shark
14,103 Posts

[Post New]by SandraSwede on Jun 3, 10 11:41 AM
Loved this game from the start.

runewarden
Herring
Herring
300 Posts

[Post New]by runewarden on Jun 4, 10 7:29 AM
On the long adventure game titles - they are still being made, and the cartoon style graphics of Broken Sword, there's a few long adventures in the shops currently with a similar style of graphics and playability. So these type of games are still in production, they do cost more in shops - but in terms for length to dollars - are worth while.

I'm not sure if it's just that small developers don't have the funds to produce longer games or that they are greedy and are producing the bare minimum length that will sell. This game - was really at the bare minimum length for a point and click, any shorter and it wouldn't have been worth playing. And this game could easily have been made longer without too much more extra cost - since while it would have been annoying to not find any new scenes - what was there could have been used a lot more, with more conversations, or random things to do/find. Easily - this could have been stretched another hour or so, just through developing the existing plot and fleshing it out - with requirements for maybe a few more items, puzzles and maybe some dialogue with existing characters - but nothing huge, nothing that costly.

I'm hoping the developers will make another title that addresses these issues, because they do have potential, but until they correct where they are going wrong, they'll never be a serious, adventure game producer, they'll just be the casual developer giving it a try and failing to really capture what makes a point and click.

Go to: