Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Mortimer Beckett and the Book of Gold Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Jan 2, 18 12:35 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 01/02/2018 at 8:36:31 AM PST

oasis53
Squid
Squid
61 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Mortimer Beckett and the Book of Gold Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by oasis53 on Jan 2, 18 12:48 AM
wow...worst one ever!!! I have played these games before and they were never this bad!!

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Mortimer Beckett and the Book of Gold Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by Valdy on Jan 2, 18 12:59 AM
I loved the previous Mortimer Beckett games. Loved the graphics, colours, and gameplay.

I love this one too, because the colours are bright, and I like the "going from level to level" style of this game. It's something different. So no, there are no voices - or at least there are none when I turn down the music (I never play the music) - and the game plays like an old-school game, but I don't mind it with this game.

The one thing that does concern me is that it says this on the main game page:

"Enjoy 60 story levels and 18 timed challenges"

It's the "timed" challenges I am concerned about. I don't like games in which I have to do things in a certain amount of time. I have not yet come across a timed challenge, and will wait to see if anyone can tell me whether I can skip timed challenges or whether I am able to do them even after the time has ran out, before I buy this game.

mamachi
Guppy
Guppy
158 Posts

[Post New]by mamachi on Jan 2, 18 1:40 AM
I tried one of the timed levels. I did not manage to finish the level in time but I could finish the level to get the diamonds. You will not get the badge thow.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jan 2, 18 2:48 AM
mamachi wrote:I tried one of the timed levels. I did not manage to finish the level in time but I could finish the level to get the diamonds. You will not get the badge thow.

Thank you very much for the info. As long I can get through a timed level, even if I don't make it in time, that's all I needed to know.

--- --- ---

Edited to add: I have been through 2 time challenges (didn't make either one in time), and am happy I still get the diamonds. What I also like about this game are the graphics, and the humour. It's fun "listening" to them talk.

Edited on 01/02/2018 at 3:48:42 AM PST

hakuna
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by hakuna on Jan 2, 18 5:17 AM
I've loved the Mortimer Becket games - found them just challenging enough - but this one is very 'dumbed down'' and offers very little challenge - won't be buying

gillydi53
Clownfish
Clownfish
703 Posts

[Post New]by gillydi53 on Jan 2, 18 5:50 AM
I have the other Mortimer games and loved them . This one though has changed too much . Love spot the mouse , but why make the screen bigger for the first challenge of find the mice , couldn't cope with that . Also unless I'm missing something there are no clear instructions for the mini games . Also as stated why the timer on them . Will prob use a PC on the SE but will skip this one . Shame

pennmom36
Clownfish
Clownfish
853 Posts

[Post New]by pennmom36 on Jan 2, 18 6:23 AM
gillydi53 wrote: Also unless I'm missing something there are no clear instructions for the mini games

I get what you're saying, but I kind of liked the fact that I had to solve the Mini Game mystery without the help of instructions. For me, that was the real challenge, figuring out what to do, not particularly how to do it!?

judy76073
Clownfish
Clownfish
531 Posts

[Post New]by judy76073 on Jan 2, 18 6:41 AM
alas, don't like this Mortimer Beckett game. I enjoyed the 1st 2. This one, can't do the windowed mode (which is what I always play my games on), there's no options for casual, hard, or custom play.

certainly, this is not one I would buy. Oh well, will wait for the next HOPA CE game and hope that it's a good one.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jan 2, 18 7:04 AM
pennmom36 wrote:I get what you're saying, but I kind of liked the fact that I had to solve the Mini Game mystery without the help of instructions. For me, that was the real challenge, figuring out what to do, not particularly how to do it!?

Same for me. I rather like figuring out the different puzzles, which are in fact quite easy. You just need a little lateral thinking.

I really like this "old-fashioned" way this game plays. I like the fact that I can leave the game for a few hours or days, and when I get back in I am not confused as to where I am and where I was before, and where I have to go or what to do. It's pretty straightforward, and I like it just the way it is.

pennmom36
Clownfish
Clownfish
853 Posts

[Post New]by pennmom36 on Jan 2, 18 7:29 AM
judy76073 wrote:alas, don't like this Mortimer Beckett game. I enjoyed the 1st 2. This one, can't do the windowed mode (which is what I always play my games on), there's no options for casual, hard, or custom play.

I'm with you, why isn't there a difficulty mode setting, or any option for that matter?

mcquigan
Clownfish
Clownfish
726 Posts

[Post New]by mcquigan on Jan 2, 18 7:39 AM
Valdy wrote:...

"Enjoy 60 story levels and 18 timed challenges"

It's the "timed" challenges I am concerned about. I don't like games in which I have to do things in a certain amount of time. I have not yet come across a timed challenge, and will wait to see if anyone can tell me whether I can skip timed challenges or whether I am able to do them even after the time has ran out, before I buy this game.

Yup, same here. Years ago there were timed timed challenges and we complained to the high heavens about them.

Few options available. meh...pass

[Post New]by biscuitsmama on Jan 2, 18 8:08 AM
I've never seen the Mortimer Beckett games before today and it seems cute and different. No evil demon waiting to take over my body but why is this a collector's edition? I don't see an in-game strategy guide which is the main reason I purchase CEs. Even though I haven't had trouble with any puzzle it is always nice to have the guide "just in case."

I only see that we get we should find a mouse on each level and those are really cute but it there anything else to justify the cost?

Will probably wait and get this one on a good sale but not for $13.99

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jan 2, 18 8:28 AM
biscuitsmama wrote:I've never seen the Mortimer Beckett games before today and it seems cute and different. No evil demon waiting to take over my body but why is this a collector's edition? I don't see an in-game strategy guide which is the main reason I purchase CEs. Even though I haven't had trouble with any puzzle it is always nice to have the guide "just in case."

I only see that we get we should find a mouse on each level and those are really cute but it there anything else to justify the cost?

Will probably wait and get this one on a good sale but not for $13.99

There are 60 story levels in the main game, and after that it says on the main game page:

"Explore 30 locations and test your wits"

I am assuming that those 30 locations are the extra levels in the CE version.

bfgArinelle
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by bfgArinelle on Jan 2, 18 8:36 AM
Hi Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread for Mortimer Beckett and the Book of Gold Collector's Edition! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on this game here. There are just a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting in this thread.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Mortimer Beckett and the Book of Gold Collector's Edition.

2) Be respectful of the reviewers and keep in mind our Forum Rules. Please do not review the reviews of others. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.

3) Do not review developers. If you have feedback regarding the developer, feel free to PM any of the moderators so that we can pass this along.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning. Also, remember that moderators will remove any content that isn’t a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators. We'll be happy to assist in any way we can.

bfgArinelle

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Jan 2, 18 8:37 AM
I have always loved Mortimer Beckett games and I always thought there weren't enough of them. I'm liking this one even though I don't think it's quite as good as prior ones. .
I like the fact that you can zoom in and also scroll side to side, sure helps finding things. I will definitely buy this game but will wait for SE unless a good CE sale comes along.

Edited on 01/03/2018 at 8:33:40 AM PST

4mybirds4
Salmon
Salmon
2,663 Posts

[Post New]by 4mybirds4 on Jan 2, 18 1:53 PM
I too have always loved all the Mortimer Beckett games (makes me want to go back and replay them). Although this one is quite different, I was really enjoying it and before I knew it the time was up. Being able to zoom into the screen and collect the mice was a bonus, but I think I will wait for a sale before purchasing.

abarrett
Clownfish
Clownfish
990 Posts

[Post New]by abarrett on Jan 2, 18 7:48 PM
I have played a couple of the previous Mortimer Beckett games and found them to be fun, but a challenge to find the fragments. For me, the challenge of finding some well-hidden fragments is still there in this new game. An added challenge is trying to figure out the puzzles without any instructions at all. I prefer more HOPA than puzzles, but will try puzzles in the demo. If I am unsure of how to solve a puzzle during the demo after about 15 seconds, I will skip it to get further in the demo. Not being able to skip puzzles quickly was not good. While the graphics are colorful and clear, they are not like previous games. The style is more like some of the popular time management titles that are not my cup of tea. There are no options for gameplay to choose, which is pretty old school. There also doesn't seem to be much in the way of extras to make this a CE. Maybe if this comes out as an SE, I might think about this game again, but as a CE, it is a no buy.

dollyflower
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,373 Posts

[Post New]by dollyflower on Jan 3, 18 8:44 AM
This looks nothing like the old Mortimer Beckett series, but I'll give it a try. See tech thread below.

Edited on 01/03/2018 at 9:51:59 AM PST

forneymary
Guppy
Guppy
100 Posts

[Post New]by forneymary on Jan 3, 18 12:06 PM
I was tickled to see Mortimer was back. confussed by the reviews. delighted in the game play. zoom. yes its simple. then its not. the others in the series had no voice overs or the zoom. its still corney and its still Mortimer. its a buy. its just to bad ill have to wait for the se. id have loved an extra 30 levels.

Go to: