bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Your Comments and Review for Antique Road Trip USA

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on May 29, 10 3:00 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Antique Road Trip USA? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

bfgFlounder

nanaseaweed
Guppy
Guppy
191 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Review for Antique Road Trip USA

[Post New]by nanaseaweed on May 29, 10 6:47 AM
Good Morning! This is a delightful game! It is a typical HOG with a twist on how to find objects. It even uses riddles or phrases of description. It reminds me of Gardenscapes which I enjoyed playing. You get to build a scene . The music in this one is great! Yeap I listened to it and found it entertaining, even toe tapping..I played the untimed version but the timed version allows you to earn more money. I'm not so sure if the music would be as much fun if I played timed. There are typical mini games here and not difficult just need to pay attention. Again you are rewarded for completing them. My hour was up before I knew it! It would probably be a 3-4 hour game for me. But I leave them and come back so I'm refreshed, and happy to keep playing. I don't usually play these straight through. Life happens!
I would say it is a 4 fin production!
Have a great weekend !
Nana

katy12250
Minnow
Minnow
227 Posts

[Post New]by katy12250 on May 29, 10 7:37 AM
It's a HOG with differences. You have a list of items to find (regular HOG), then 3 clues to find 1 item, find 25 of the same item, etc. You have to find the objects & then you get money for them to furnish your antique store. Mini games are reasonable (assemble posters, etc) & make sense in game context.

It's a surprisingly good game. Graphics are nice and clear. Hidden object are in plain sight but can be hard to find until they are pointed out with a hint. Hints refill fairly fast & the puppy is cute (you click on him to get the hint).

You have a lot of options to furnish your antique store. I unlocked 6 (I think) while I was playing the demo (played for about 30 minutes). What you get depends on how much money you have. You can keep playing to get more money to buy the more expensive items. I went with the top of the line options, so I didn't get as many as other might.

After deciding I'd had enough of HOGs and HOG-type games for awhile, I found this one fun. I played the untimed mode, so I wasn't stressed with trying to find all the items in a hurry. I'm not sure how many "levels" there are, but the list of locked items to buy for the shop was good size (maybe 24 or more - I didn't count them) so I think the game would be a pretty good length.

I even found the music enjoyable. Country/bluegrass but very upbeat. Certainly better than in most games.

for a very good, relaxing, & entertaining game. <sigh> Another game to go on my "to buy" list. Which is not getting any shorter even with the sale! Now I have to decide if I want to start another punch card. Decisions, decisions.

Edited on 05/29/2010 at 7:39:19 AM PST

beckx020
Guppy
Guppy
185 Posts

[Post New]by beckx020 on May 29, 10 8:08 AM
I think it would have been a good game. But I couldn't read the items/clues on the left. The letters kerning was too close together. Then in an odd font. I had to struggle to understand what the words were.

So, I uninstalled it.

I really don't understand why they want to make the words fancy so it's harder to see and understand them in many games.

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on May 29, 10 10:03 AM
Two good reviews by two fairly new fishies.
Thanks, nana and katy. Off to do the demo
you made it sound like my kind of game.
Please keep reviewing future games, I count
on reviews very much since I play so slow
when I demo.

mimiismags
Starfish
Starfish
55 Posts

[Post New]by mimiismags on May 29, 10 11:34 AM
does anyone know how long this game is? Entertaining game, also when does the sale start? I haven't seen anything on the site about it.

catpang888
Seahorse
Seahorse
30 Posts

[Post New]by catpang888 on May 29, 10 11:55 AM
I love this game, it's fun!! many different types of minigames, enjoy the music too! but the buy list for each category got only 4 items to choose from, it will be more fun if got more option from cheap to expensive items.. But anyway, I already finished the game liao.

KathyD56
Guppy
Guppy
137 Posts

[Post New]by KathyD56 on May 29, 10 12:01 PM
I just played the one hour demo and enjoyed it so much, that I purchased the game. It is just challenging enough for a HOG novice, which I am. I am playing on the untimed mode, but see replay value in repeating the game in the timed mode, which earns extra dollars, for upgrading the antique shop. The game is very similar to Gardenscapes, which I also enjoyed.
The hints recharge fast and appear to be unlimited. I didn't see a Skip button for the minigames, but so far have been able to complete them all. I really like the "jigsaw" minigames. In the Spot the Differences games, the hint button is available if you get stuck.
All in all, this is a very enjoyable game for when you want to relax and not have to follow a "walkthrough" for every step.
The sale is great--so many games to buy--so little time!! To: mimiismags--the sale code was in the Big Fish newsletter which I received today. You have to sign up for the newsletter, in order to receive the code. I hope this helps.

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on May 29, 10 12:30 PM
catpang888 wrote:I love this game, it's fun!! many different types of minigames, enjoy the music too! but the buy list for each category got only 4 items to choose from, it will be more fun if got more option from cheap to expensive items.. But anyway, I already finished the game liao.

Mind giving us some idea of how long it took you to finish?

_Angel_angel
Minnow
Minnow
284 Posts

[Post New]by _Angel_angel on May 29, 10 12:35 PM

What a fun game!

Similar to Gardenscape, but scaled way back.

Looking for junk at junk sales, THEN getting to decorate too?!!

Ahh this is the good life! hehehe

And what happy upbeat music!

I am a Classic Rocker girl here but my foot was a-tappin' and I was a-grinnin'

Nice job Devs & BF!

auntym
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

[Post New]by auntym on May 29, 10 12:51 PM
I'm only half through the trial and it is a fun game BUT, I can't stand the music. It is very distracting and is making me a nervous wreck! LOL!! It would be great music if it were the main event, but imho, it is too much as background music.

scarlet_11dy6
Flounder
Flounder
2,031 Posts

[Post New]by scarlet_11dy6 on May 29, 10 2:32 PM
1st thing I did was turn the music OFF. Good grief, was it awful country music! They're running an antique store, not a pickin & grinnin contest on Hee-Haw, they could have something a little classier & less distracting. That done, I saw it looked similar in setup to Gardenscapes & was a little disppointed that it was decorating a shop to put antiques IN rather than moving them out of this allegedly overcluttered house to make rm for the dog (which they have anyway despite not moving a thing) & redecorating THAT. I mean, what's the fun in decorating just one rm? So from that alone I think it might be fairly short, as it looked as if I'd unlocked more than half the stuff to buy for the shop in 50 min. Each item had 3 choices so I reckon there's replay value in it b/c you could have makeovers (not counting the 1st choice as that was pretty much the existing stuff, so why would you want to re-buy it?).

Some of the rounds gave you 3 clues to find the HOs one at a time instead of listing the names of them, which was a new twist, while others were the standard Gardenscapes way, & it could be played timed or untimed. There was even $ (bills) like the Gardenscapes coins lying around to increase your total earned. The dog was the hint & it barked when it reloaded & chewed a bone whilst it did. Alas, you did not get to name it.

I couldn't last the hr b/c of the plethora of minigames. Not only were they sooo 5 yrs ago (puzzles & matching the alike pairs & spot the differences), there were far too many of them in relation to the HOs scenes. The matching made you go SEVEN ROUNDS. I was all are you kidding me? when I saw the 1st go-round of it. I finally quit when I got to like the 5th jigsaw puzzle.

This type of game didn't NEED minigames like this. That & the music spoiled it. While the music could be turned off, the minigames could NOT be skipped, so there goes the replay value unless they change, which I doubt. If they'd done it the way I expected & at least made the tedious & frequent minigames skippable, it might've been OK, tho nowhere near as good as Gardenscapes.

slruser
Salmon
Salmon
2,654 Posts

[Post New]by slruser on May 29, 10 2:34 PM
I am loving this game.....such a nice change from dark, gloomy, macabre stories (which I've played alot lately). I was really in the mood for this sorf of refreshing change of pace with a lighthearted feel and great, great, great banjo music. No mention of the music source in the credits, but I enjoyed the music as much as the game.

The story is cute and fairly interactive - a bit different than other HOGs, as you get to furnish an antique store as part of the goal. The scenes were well-drawn and I enjoyed the various methods in which the clues were provided. Although I can imagine it would be difficult to translate into other languages.....so I'm not surprised by some of the comments posted earlier.

I am playing in the Timed Mode and having no problems finishing each level in time to earn bonuses - so I definitely don't feel rushed. There is an Untimed version, as well.

All in all, this was just the game I needed on this Memorial Day week-end! I will be searching for the music soundtrack - yes, I enjoyed the music that much! Just goes to show you how everyone's taste is different. Love the diversity in the pond!

Thanks to Boomzap and BFG for this fun experience!

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on May 29, 10 3:34 PM
so i went into this with only a half hearted go-get-em attitude, but...

for people starting out with hidden object and puzzle games, this is great... it's relaxing, the items aren't that hard to find although mostly they're thrown into the classic HOG junkpile, even the riddles are very straight-forward... i mean - comes from china, has sharp points, and good for throwing... hmm ?? yeah... the jigsaw puzzles were easy to complete and easily earned several time bonuses... the spot the difference games are where i say "whatever" and let the dog find the last one or two... in doing that i can tell you that even in the so-called challenging timed mode, the hint recharges rather quickly... i just didn't feel there was any challenge at all in the game so would recommend it only as a rainy day filler-just killing time or for first timers...

the music is definitely appropriate, but never changed... if you like banjo, you're in for a treat, because it doesn't stop... unless you hit "mute" or turn it off in options... personally, a change in music from scene to scene would have been nice - as i'm sure folks in cheyenne don't listen to the same tunes as those in chinatown!

a little problem i had was in the actual outfitting of the antique shop... you get so much money but you can only buy in certain categories... and you don't get to see the product first except from a thumb-nail... there should be an "are you sure" button to go along with a sneak peek - like, here's what your new room would look like, are you sure you want this? but since i had so much money, i just kept buying stuff until i liked what the end product looked like...

i did like that the parrot in the shop talks - or rather squawks - when you click on it... it would have really made my day if he had a few random phrases that he would occasionally throw out...

anyway... for those of you collecting across america, good luck

sunsh
Seahorse
Seahorse
36 Posts

[Post New]by sunsh on May 29, 10 5:51 PM
Happy Memorial Day to all the fishies...I'm almost done with my demo and as many others....like the music and the different way to find a hidden object...all that said...checked my bank account, LOL...and am going to buy. New something on the lighter, brighter side now an then. Especially after all the prob. with a game I bought that gave us all trouble.
Have a safe an happy holiday...an remember our troops also...

sunsh

exact
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
434 Posts

[Post New]by exact on May 29, 10 6:04 PM
A very pleasant game! Just right for a weekend of pleasure. Wonderful graphics. Probably the best I've seen. My oldest great granddaughter will love it too! Thanks, BF

[Post New]by rosie28sammy on May 29, 10 9:20 PM
This was a nice game, but I found myself getting bored with it. I think that mainly stemmed from the fact that you kept going back to the same four areas of the country and the same four types of minigames one each level. I think if there could have been more scenes and a little more of a mix of minigames it would have been a little more interesting. I, too, found it like Gardenscapes, but for some reason I never get bored with that one.

The music was a nice addition and as others have said the graphics are good. No grainy items here. Some are a little more difficult to find than others, but the hint button refreshes quickly. I played the timed mode and never had trouble with completing any of the levels so you are given plenty of time. I did like the ability to decorate the antique shop, but as ember said, you can't see what the item will look like before you purchase it and I didn't realize at first that if you click on the item, it automatically purchases it.

Over all, I think it is a good game and I dislike having to say anything negative about a game that doesn't have dark, evil, occultic themes and murder because I love to see more of them. Maybe I also was a little bored because it seemed like I had done this before and it wasn't new enough to me. For someone who hasn't, this game would be perfect for them.

[Post New]by merle15 on May 29, 10 11:11 PM
This is another game that opens with a too large screen and I cannot click anywhere to centre it. This must be the 3rd this year. I just uninstall the game and forget it. Disappointing though.

TerryMann
Shark
Shark
10,717 Posts

[Post New]by TerryMann on May 30, 10 2:02 AM
I totally agree with ember89.....

Happy Gaming!!!

patnsky
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,415 Posts

[Post New]by patnsky on May 30, 10 2:40 AM
Good Morning Terryk good to see you here.

I like this game. I played on the timed mode and seemed to have more than enough time. I liked the music, but finally turned it down somewhat as it was the same thing over and over. The graphics were good and clear and after trying Faded Reality, it was a joy to be able to find items. They are not so small that these old eyes could find them. I did not purchase any items for the store yet, as I was more interested to see what the puzzles were about. I will say, I did have a problem with a couple of the "find the one that was different" such are the matchbooks. All in all it is a relaxing game which is nice to play between some of the mysteries and dark HOGs, which by the way, I do like.

Go to: