gamergirl675
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,156 Posts

Best tip... don't play!!!

[Post New]by gamergirl675 on May 30, 10 2:09 AM
OMG! That was the longest 15 minutes of my life. Felt rather like chinese water torture... everytime I'd think I'd found all the random stupid useless objects another would pop on the screen. Sheese. And when I finally quit I was shocked to see that only 15 minutes had passed... I thought for sure I was close to an hour. Yep. It was THAT BAD.

The storyline premise had promise. It's been done before but still, a creepy concept. And maybe the story got better later... I just couldn't take it anymore. LOL. And it was all so... trivial. One of those PILES O' CRAP hogs. Where it's all so jumbled and nonesensical that your eye doesn't know where to go. And what was with all the letters to find and fill in the blanks in words?! (That took the game two annoyingly long pop up messages to explain.) If that is an attempt at a "puzzle within a puzzle" it falls sadly short... I mean seriously... is it REALLY fair to call adding ONE letter to word a puzzle?? Reminded me of my son's homework from KINDERGARTEN!! Ok they didn't actually say it was a puzzle, I said that. But if it wasn't a puzzle then what was the point of putting it there... to drive gamers insane having to search for letters that aren't really hidden just a slightly different shade than the background?

Oh well.. maybe you will like it. I often like things others hate. But don't say I didn't warn ya!!!

Best tip... don't play!!!

[Post New]by FunkyFabFinds on May 30, 10 2:58 AM
GamerGirl675, your review was infinitely more entertaining than this monstrosity of meandering and meaningless clickery.

eddyatwork
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,169 Posts

Re:Best tip... don't play!!!

[Post New]by eddyatwork on May 30, 10 4:37 AM
I wrote a review of the game but honestly, I think gamergirl's title for this thread is far more eloquent.

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on May 30, 10 4:41 AM
Agree with you gamergirl!!

biomix
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,854 Posts

[Post New]by biomix on May 30, 10 5:46 AM
After reading the reviews. "forget about it". Not going to bother.

tedderpic
Flounder
Flounder
2,029 Posts

[Post New]by tedderpic on May 30, 10 6:56 AM
O Poo I'm almost downloaded...think Im wasting me time ..after reading this..owell
I'll give it a go now that its almost done.....
should of read the forum first

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on May 30, 10 7:20 AM
This plays very much like Pure Hidden. You only get a small set of (junkpile) objects to start with. Finding one opens up another one. Making the name of certain objects produces a different one to find.

This is on the easy side.

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on May 30, 10 8:54 AM
Faded reality should fade away into the sunset.

Euskalduna
Stingray
Stingray
5,991 Posts

[Post New]by Euskalduna on May 30, 10 9:04 AM
Wow, these reviews are harsh! But thank you, made up my mind to forget even demoing!

[Post New]by nikkislayer on May 30, 10 9:09 AM
Yep . agreed played for 15 mins and found it boring worst still if you don't finish a level before you quit you have to do that level all over again.

Fykomfei
Guppy
Guppy
125 Posts

[Post New]by Fykomfei on May 30, 10 9:58 AM
I totally agree! Played 15 minutes and had enough!

linwer
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by linwer on May 30, 10 10:18 AM
Well the game is cute..I will play (got it from another site yesterday) However it is 1 of those that SHOULD have been proofread.A golf club was called a spoon..a hinge was called a door ****..anyone know if BFG version was any better in that respect?

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on May 30, 10 10:29 AM
If you look at a online dictionary one of the definitions for spoon is a 3 wood golf club. I agree that the door b u t t should have been called a door b u t t hinge. Many of the item names seem to be the British English translation and are not the familiar to me as I live in the USA.

The BFG game version has the same item names. In spite of that I like the game!

Edited on 05/30/2010 at 10:30:50 AM PST

tedderpic
Flounder
Flounder
2,029 Posts

[Post New]by tedderpic on May 30, 10 10:50 AM
tedderpic wrote:O Poo I'm almost downloaded...think Im wasting me time ..after reading this..owell
I'll give it a go now that its almost done.....
should of read the forum first

Well I Tried ......hummmm not my cup f tea ...but some may like....
but drove me nuts

[Post New]by BarbaraFish on May 30, 10 2:45 PM
For those still playing (i like the game) console = tv remote

anonymiss
Guppy
Guppy
109 Posts

[Post New]by anonymiss on May 30, 10 6:06 PM
LizzieK wrote:Many of the item names seem to be the British English translation and are not the familiar to me as I live in the USA.

Well, I live in Australia and we tend to use British English, however, many of the words and/or terms in this game couldn't even be classified as British English!! It reads more like they've used an online translator such as Babel Fish and dumped exactly what it translated into the game. Mind you, a few of the 'translations' are hilarious, this one in particular had me LOLing:

"It's strange, the door is opened. I will try to come". - ROFLMAO WTH??

I'm in two minds about this game, I actually like the concept (even finding the letters doesn't bother me all that much), however, the one thing that irks me is that the developers are obviously not native English speakers and whomever they had proof-read / translate has done a very poor job. It's not a horrible game by any stretch of the imagination (God knows I've purchased and played worse!), however, I'm not sure if I'd pay $6.99 for it - I have 2 credits coming up next month and if I'm really desperate for something to play, I may use one of my credits to buy it.

All in all, the graphics are lovely, the music isn't overly annoying, and the game has (had) potential, but in future, developers who don't have a good grasp on English and are marketing to English speakers really should find better translators and/or proof-readers. Even if the game is fabulous, something as important as good grammar / spelling is essential in the overall gaming experience IMO, and particularly when you're playing a HOG based on finding objects by their name alone!!

Edited on 05/30/2010 at 6:09:20 PM PST

Mary92357
Starfish
Starfish
57 Posts

[Post New]by Mary92357 on Jun 5, 10 9:24 PM
y'all are a tough group to please! I am playing it-but don't quite understand the point of the mini games. I haven't had much trouble with figuring out what the object is that I am looking for. I thought it was part of the game to make you do a bit of thinking about what objects you need.

lvfao
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
499 Posts

[Post New]by lvfao on Jun 15, 10 3:30 PM
Personally i like the game a little. Not my favorite but still interesting enough to keep playing. Demo first, absolutely, but is it wise to assume someone else's opinion is going to be yours as well? I like to decide for myself if it's not my personal brand of vodka but then we are all different, are we not? Opinions are like bellybuttons, everybody has one. and yes i did change the saying somewhat

dewieee
Minnow
Minnow
228 Posts

[Post New]by dewieee on Jul 10, 10 8:25 AM
Wow, such negative reviews. I must admit I am surprised as I am usually very critical of some games. But, I didn't find this game to be so horrid. I'm glad I didn't let the reviews keep me from trying this. I think the graphics are nice, very clear, pretty scenes. You use the letters to complete words, then that Item will disappear or move revealing an item on your list. Not sure why that is such a bad thing. there are lots of items to find which should appeal to those that really like HOG's. Some of the mini-games are unique, really liked the lantern one. Anyway, try this game for yourself and decide. I'm glad I did.

Have a great weekend.

Go to: