bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Your Comments and Review for Faded Reality

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on May 30, 10 2:33 AM
Hey Fishies!

What do you think of Faded Reality? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

anki6969
Minnow
Minnow
242 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Review for Faded Reality

[Post New]by anki6969 on May 30, 10 3:03 AM
I really liked this game, a little different one. I was tempted to buy it with the sale and all .The graphics were good and fun to find the letters. The minigames was OK, mostly cards. The weirdest thing was when I tried to stop playing I wasn´t able to save and I have played for about 40 minutes!
A definte No Buy for me

When I started the game again I began at chapter 4 so obviously it´s autosaved but why heavens don´t they state that?!
Now for the next question, the length

Edited on 05/30/2010 at 4:11:46 AM PST

[Post New]by ChristmasEve on May 30, 10 3:29 AM
I played some of the game and when I went to quit, it stated my game would not be saved. So I played some more of the game and quit and got the same message. I haven't went back to see if I have to start the game over again or not. If I can't save the progress of my game, it's a definite no buy for me.

eddyatwork
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,169 Posts

[Post New]by eddyatwork on May 30, 10 4:17 AM
General recommendation: Don't even bother with the demo.

This is a junkpile game and anyone who has read my reviews knows that I loathe these to begin with but this was especially bad. You had the "puzzles" where you had to find a letter on the screen to complete the word. BASK_T with a picture of a basket. I was stumped by this because what could the missing letter possibly be? Even though the letter was clearly visible I couldn't click on it because I had to get the other items first. As bad as this was, I can't get over the worst part of the game which was no autosave.

Are you kidding me? I went to exit the game and it told me that there was no save game? This has been a standard feature of games for years. Even a simple web browser game that I can play for free has auto-save points. No auto-save is just unbelievable for a game today. Auto-save has been around for at least twenty years in games and probably longer. Inexcusable.

The storyline was somewhat unusual which is a plus in my eyes. It's not every game that has the main character receiving the cornea from a car accident victim. Somewhat morbid but I myself am listed as an organ donor because if I die, someone else might as well get some use from my body. I didn't like how it was pretty short though, almost like it was tacked on just to have a story instead of having a story to immerse yourself.

Overall, this is a wash so save your money and get something else.

JoyWales
Clownfish
Clownfish
728 Posts

[Post New]by JoyWales on May 30, 10 4:24 AM
I like it very much as it is a little bit different. But I do wish that game developers would get their words checked by a natural English speaker. I don't mind using hints if I cannot find an object but hate using them because I do not know what i am looking for ! At least there does not seem to be a penalty for wrong clicks but it is frustrating.
5 minutes looking for a spoon only to find the game wants a golf club !!
And who Redials a pack of cards !!
Also the card came would not work out as the 2 jacks were on top of each other - it would have been better to have an option to replay the game rather than just skip.

I do like the game apart from these niggles but will wait until the walkthrough comes out before deciding whether to buy or not, depending on the length of the game.

KIW0612
Herring
Herring
376 Posts

[Post New]by KIW0612 on May 30, 10 4:27 AM
Played 39 min of the demo and have to agree as nice as the graphics are, many of the hidden objects are very difficult to find (even with the hints some are not recognizable.) After my 39 min I read your comments and returned to the game. Sure enouhg it did not SAVE. But before we get all upset, there has to be a problem. No way would they program a game that is not intended to save. What happens if you play 2.5 hours ? You start over? I don't think so. We'll have to check with Customer Service, but they are closed on weekends - right? Never needed Customer Service before.

have a nice holiday weekend everyone
KIW0612

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on May 30, 10 4:38 AM
KIW612, it does save, but only at the end of a chapter, i.e. when you move to a new place...then you can exit, even if it says that your game won't be saved.

_DD_
Flounder
Flounder
2,115 Posts

[Post New]by _DD_ on May 30, 10 4:40 AM
As far as I can see, the game saves after each level (which is about 2 rooms). But it doesn't tell anywhere in the game, unfortunately, where the level ends and the next begins. Plus it has only that one sterotype message about not saving when leaving.

IOW: I left when I had arrived at the 3rd room (where you have to do that sort-blocks-game to open the next door). Up came the message, but when I re-entered, I was in that 3rd room again, which is probably the start of level 2.

I guess that (only) within the rooms of the actual level, your progress won't be saved when leaving.

edited for clarification

Edited on 05/30/2010 at 4:53:45 AM PST

pixielily
Minnow
Minnow
291 Posts

[Post New]by pixielily on May 30, 10 6:00 AM
I have never posted before, but with all of the bad reviews i had to. I always look at the reviews and this time I almost did not bother to demo, but I am now glad I did demo.
I really enjoyed the game. Yes, there are some small objects (which I do not like), but the hint system does show you.
It is a traditional hog which i enjoy as much as adventure or IHOGS. I also enjoyed having to go to different rooms to complete all scenes.
The down side for me anyway: the saving, but from what i understand it does autosafe.
The length is another question because I would like to know how long it is before I buy.
I have not encountered any issues with playing and the demo went by very fast matter-of-fact i was surpised that i was finished.
So far on a scale of 1-5 I give it a 3-4 just for the interesting story and for little stress when playing.
Oh the golf club had me also, but then I thought it might actually be a very large ladle and I had to use a hint for the sasuage.

Smallhaven
Rainbowfish
Rainbowfish
42,220 Posts

[Post New]by Smallhaven on May 30, 10 6:34 AM
Well, after a half hour of the demo - I'm so done with this game. If the developers don't understand the difference between a spoon and a golf club... I don't have the patience to go on.

This is an okay game but okay doesn't equal purchase for me.

penrose47
Stingray
Stingray
4,597 Posts

[Post New]by penrose47 on May 30, 10 7:33 AM
pixielily wrote:I have never posted before, but with all of the bad reviews i had to. I always look at the reviews and this time I almost did not bother to demo, but I am now glad I did demo.
I really enjoyed the game. Yes, there are some small objects (which I do not like), but the hint system does show you.
It is a traditional hog which i enjoy as much as adventure or IHOGS. I also enjoyed having to go to different rooms to complete all scenes.
The down side for me anyway: the saving, but from what i understand it does autosafe.
The length is another question because I would like to know how long it is before I buy.
I have not encountered any issues with playing and the demo went by very fast matter-of-fact i was surpised that i was finished.
So far on a scale of 1-5 I give it a 3-4 just for the interesting story and for little stress when playing.
Oh the golf club had me also, but then I thought it might actually be a very large ladle and I had to use a hint for the sasuage.

WELCOME TO THE POND PIXIELLILY

I AGREE and love your review

Happy Gaming
PEN

Gieyo
Clownfish
Clownfish
766 Posts

[Post New]by Gieyo on May 30, 10 8:03 AM
JoyWales wrote:...5 minutes looking for a spoon only to find the game wants a golf club !!

I also had trouble with the spoon,but once I used the hint (which loads quickly, by the way) I thought it was just a long laddle, not a golf club. Anyway there are many games in which terms are used more or less specifically, so this was not a big issue for me.

I found the game very entertaining, the story was original (in games), and it was not absolutely illogical that the main character was going through junkpiles. I am not fan of junkpiles but I wasn't bothered here at all, as I thought they fitted the mood and story quite nicely.

The graphics were good, and I found the music appropriate enough as to not be bothered by it. It also fitted the mood of the game.

The HOScenes were challenging. It is true, you have to find certain items in certain order but I didn't mind at all, especially since the objects you could not "pick" at that time were faded out from the list, so that gave you a clue something had to be picked up/ done first. It is one of those games in which you DO have to look at the list to gather the items, not one in which the items are so obvious you can actually locate them without bothering to read what you should be looking for.

The puzzles were not hard, but at least they tried to be different. I appreciate that.

The game does autosave, but only at the end of the chapter (if you quit before, you have to restart that chapter). I know this is a minus for many users, but I don't mind: mayebe I'm just used to this, other games follow the same rule.

The story line was thrilling and I did feel interested in finding out what is behind all of this. This is a HUGE plus for me, as lately I don't seem able to get much involved in HOG's stories. And once again a breaking apart from what seemed to be the recent trend: The main character is a female and yet she is not stupid, nor coward, nor moves only by her vanity.

There was one small issue in the game that upset me a tiny bit: At some points I clicked to advance the dialogue (the bubble said click) and for some reason sometimes the second bubble appeared after the click and disappeared immediately so I couldn't read it.

So am I buying this? I would love to, but... I got an alert from my Prevx that for some reason recognized the file as a medium risk malaware (I saw it when the trial was over as I hadn't realized before). Until I get a hold on CS I don't think I will buy it.

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by hannah57 on May 30, 10 8:07 AM
I tried this game and I found it to be very boring. I thought, "this would be a great game for kids aged 5-8" At any rate I didn't like it and deleted it with 14 min of playtime left.

[Post New]by queenbee43j on May 30, 10 8:17 AM
HI everyone! I love this game! The scenery is beautiful and I can figure out what to do with out a walkthrough ( that is a big plus for me! ) I almost did not down load the game, because of the negative posts in this forum, but I decided to try it for myself. Am I glad that I did! It's a keeper for me! Thank you Big Fish!!!!

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on May 30, 10 8:25 AM
eddyatwork - totally agree with you/

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on May 30, 10 8:29 AM
As bad as this was, I can't get over the worst part of the game which was no autosave.

All being well, people will know now that this needs to be qualified.

There is an autosave, but it's at the end of a level.

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on May 30, 10 8:34 AM
well, it sounds like another day at the "museum"! so i think i will be passing on this one as well... that's ok, because i'm still having fun with crusoe and his pirates! arrgghh!

Lunarea
Guppy
Guppy
153 Posts

[Post New]by Lunarea on May 30, 10 8:34 AM
I gave this game a try, but I will not be purchasing it.

I've seen movies and read books that explore the connection between organ donors and organ recipients - a few of them with a supernatural element. It's a very interesting concept, but I felt Faded Reality didn't do it justice. They rushed the idea, which blew the characterization and made me feel distant from the character.

The gameplay itself was overly simplistic and uninspired. Some of the items were very large and obvious, while others were small and not at all fitting the clue. The puzzles weren't challenging. In fact, putting letters into the words felt like it would better fit a language-learning game than a fun game mechanic. I was also majorly annoyed with the fact that the game waited for the hint button to reload completely before moving onto the new scene. This meant that I had to sit there for a minute or more if I used the hint button to find the last missing item.

The music wasn't remarkable. The game had no voice-overs, which can be a hit or miss. The rest of the sounds were subtle or pleasant enough to the ear.

Graphically, the scenes looked messy - which was intended. The objects blended into the background enough to require some attention to find, but not so much that they became invisible. The few painted scenes looked great. Some of the rooms had special effects. The first map, for example, had falling leaves that twirled in the wind. It did great things for the atmosphere, but it was also very distracting.

The clincher for me was the writing. I know a lot of games are made by the talented people all over the world, but the writing in Faded Reality was just painful to read. I'm usually willing to forgive some bad writing if the game is interesting. This wasn't the case with Faded Reality. It felt like all the bad writing was doing was accenting how bad gameplay was getting.

My advice to the developers: Don't rush the game release. I can see that this game actually had a lot of potential, but the release was so rushed that you didn't get a chance to find appropriate feedback. There are some cultural differences and language subtleties that you might not catch, so it's vitally important to have proper translators and to test your translation with the right audience.

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on May 30, 10 9:07 AM
I am enjoying this game...it is a little bit different, some items are a challenge to find...I enjoy trying to figure out fractured English. Want to see where the story goes...like most of them it is a bit hokey, but I guess I am just plain out hooked on hokey stories and hogs, lol.

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on May 30, 10 10:04 AM
In general I like the game play in this game. I enjoy word puzzles so that aspect of the game is fun for me. Using the letters to complete words and uncover other objects is something new that I haven’t seen before. I like it when developers try something different.

Combining the shapes to unlock doors was a little tedious but I made it a little more fun for me by trying to combine all of the shapes of one color before moving on to another color. I would combine all the squares and triangles in blue before moving on to pink for example.

I like the art work in the hidden object scenes. Although it is a little grainy I didn’t have too much difficulty finding the items on the list. Some of them are very cleverly hidden and that is what a hidden object game is all about.

I enjoyed the sound effects in the game but found the music irritating so I turned it off.

The recharge time on the hints was not too bad. The mini-games could be skipped. The word clue game could not be skipped but you could use hints to get letters put into the correct place. The game only saves at the end of a chapter rather than where you are when you exit. They could have improved on that aspect.

It seems that this game developer is perhaps in Japan. The names of the objects in the lists seem to be translated to British English terms and are sometimes quite different than what the American English items would be called. Here are a few examples of item names that were unfamiliar to me.
Spoiler: Highlight to see spoiler.
Spoon = 3 wood golf club (If you look in an online dictionary the definition of spoon includes a 3 wood golf club. I learned something new.)
Electric torch = flashlight
Jack Plane = wood plane
Clew of rope = ball of twine
Mosquito hawk = dragonfly (interesting, but makes sense)
Secateur = pruning shears
Scoop = coal shovel
Rolls = sushi (rolls are bread to me, not fish)
Roll = scroll (again I was looking for bread)
Stepler = stapler (I think this is a typo)
Stub = stump

The story line was a little gruesome. I’m not sure I want to know what is happening to all of the body parts. I only made it to chapter 7 in the demo so I don’t know how long the game is. Overall the game seems to be easy and enjoyable as a stress free fun play.

I have only played the demo and I’m not sure if I will purchase it. It may be worth the $4.90 just to see what other unfamiliar object names I see in the game.

Edited on 05/30/2010 at 11:31:22 AM PST

Go to: