Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Labyrinths of the World: A Dangerous Game Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Jan 4, 18 12:45 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 01/04/2018 at 8:46:38 AM PST

nanafraser
Minnow
Minnow
252 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Labyrinths of the World: A Dangerous Game Collector's Edition her

[Post New]by nanafraser on Jan 4, 18 2:14 AM
Its a fairy tale like game, of a made up world of a game board by some man. Its OK. Just not sure why people praise Domini Games there very repetitive of there others. But if you can use "GAMECLUB" coupon it might be worth it!

Edited on 01/04/2018 at 2:18:08 AM PST

SquirrelGirrrl
Guppy
Guppy
193 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Labyrinths of the World: A Dangerous Game Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by SquirrelGirrrl on Jan 4, 18 2:17 AM
Hmm. You tour some historical ruins and your first thought is to vandalize them? Your girlfriend finds a game and gets sucked in like Jumanji. As you try to follow, the narrator of the game has a very burly Romanian accent, but is talking about elves, dragons, and trolls. Once you get sucked into the game too, you find out that the creator of the game is a hunter character also reminiscent of Jumanji. One thing about this game series is that there are a lot of collectibles, which I like. What I don't like is that when you receive an inventory item, you have to click directly on it to add it to your inventory instead of clicking anywhere inside the box. Also when you zoom into an area or are assembling an inventory item, instead of just clicking outside the area to return, you have to click the X in the upper right corner. A little irritating. I didn't have any technical issues with the demo. Some parts of the game didn't make sense. Like when you have to light the oil in the cave, you can't just use your flint. You have to make a torch out of a stick, wet moss, and more oil, which you can then light and subsequently use the torch to light the oil in the cave. If you can light the oil on the moss, why can't you light the oil directly with the flint? Just nit picking I guess. A decent game, if you can get by the little things that are rather tedious.

pennmom36
Clownfish
Clownfish
853 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Labyrinths of the World: A Dangerous Game Collector's Edition her

[Post New]by pennmom36 on Jan 4, 18 5:54 AM
SquirrelGirrrl wrote:Hmm. You tour some historical ruins and your first thought is to vandalize them? Your girlfriend finds a game and gets sucked in like Jumanji. As you try to follow, the narrator of the game has a very burly Romanian accent, but is talking about elves, dragons, and trolls. Once you get sucked into the game too, you find out that the creator of the game is a hunter character also reminiscent of Jumanji. One thing about this game series is that there are a lot of collectibles, which I like. What I don't like is that when you receive an inventory item, you have to click directly on it to add it to your inventory instead of clicking anywhere inside the box. Also when you zoom into an area or are assembling an inventory item, instead of just clicking outside the area to return, you have to click the X in the upper right corner. A little irritating. I didn't have any technical issues with the demo. Some parts of the game didn't make sense. Like when you have to light the oil in the cave, you can't just use your flint. You have to make a torch out of a stick, wet moss, and more oil, which you can then light and subsequently use the torch to light the oil in the cave. If you can light the oil on the moss, why can't you light the oil directly with the flint? Just nit picking I guess. A decent game, if you can get by the little things that are rather tedious.

The story line is indeed straight out of Jumanji (at least the 1st one, I haven't seen Jumanji 2 yet)) I was scratching my head over the oil/ moss feature as well, doesn't make sense at all, but that's game world I suppose, lol. I also agree with you that it becomes a bit tedious to have to click the exact item when the pop up window appears, Or you can click the green button on the bottom of the pop up window. We have definitely grow accustomed to a basic, point and click just about anywhere to be accepted, kind of game!

MoreOver
Clownfish
Clownfish
853 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Labyrinths of the World: A Dangerous Game Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by MoreOver on Jan 4, 18 6:24 AM
This would have been right up my alley. Love dragons and fantasy games. BUT ... one reviewer stated that there are twice as many puzzles as there are HOS. I happen to like HO games, not puzzle games. So this looks like a pass for me.

Are any developers planning on bringing back hidden object games? I know this is saving me quite a ton of money but I need something to do and this isn't working for me.

pennmom36
Clownfish
Clownfish
853 Posts

[Post New]by pennmom36 on Jan 4, 18 7:39 AM

I know that a lot of people don't care for this series, but I really love the story lines they come up with. (;and this one would make Robin Williams proud For the most part, they are pretty original, and they choose locations that are real, which is a unique concept, and many of these locations are surrounded with conspiracy theories. A Domini Games Collector's Edition never skimps on the bling either. There are collectible Notes from previous pawns of the game, hidden Artifacts, and lost Deck Cards that give you insight on the characters you meet throughout this wicked game of survival. There are also Gold Nuggets to discover, and can be used to purchase virtual items for a virtual room. There are icons on the inventory bar that light up when one of the collectibles are nearby, and you can click to enable alerts on the interactive map as well.

pennmom36
Clownfish
Clownfish
853 Posts

[Post New]by pennmom36 on Jan 4, 18 7:42 AM
@MoreOver

FYI: there are 18 re-playable HOP's and 20 re-playable Mini Games:

This Collector's Edition version has 21 Wallpapers, 20 Concept Art pictures, 5 Music Soundtracks, 27 Movie Videos, 18 re-playable Hidden Object Scenes, 20 re-playable Mini Games, 32 Achievements to earn, 12 hidden Artifacts to find, 14 hidden Deck Cards (find missing cards to learn about the characters) 63 hidden Gold Nuggets to find (allows you to purchase items for your virtual Beach House room) Missing Note Pages to discover (notes written by previous players) a built in Strategy Guide and a Bonus Chapter

bfgArinelle
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by bfgArinelle on Jan 4, 18 8:46 AM
Hi Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread for Labyrinths of the World: A Dangerous Game Collector's Edition! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on this game here. There are just a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting in this thread.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Labyrinths of the World: A Dangerous Game Collector's Edition.

2) Be respectful of the reviewers and keep in mind our Forum Rules. Please do not review the reviews of others. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.

3) Do not review developers. If you have feedback regarding the developer, feel free to PM any of the moderators so that we can pass this along.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning. Also, remember that moderators will remove any content that isn’t a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators. We'll be happy to assist in any way we can.

bfgArinelle

Micha1234
Clownfish
Clownfish
910 Posts

[Post New]by Micha1234 on Jan 4, 18 9:56 AM
For me it started out as a nice game but it became rather tedious and illogical as I progressed.

The graphics in this game are really beautiful, don't think there's much music (don't remember hearing any) and, as usual, can't tell you anything about VO since I always turn those off.

Like SquirrelGirrrl mentioned before, the logic is rather limpy I.e. that torch, later on I do have a knife but it won't cut open the purse, I have to find a dagger or some such for that, I have wire to pull something out of a hole but that can't be used either, and it goes on like that.

I found the instructions for the minigames sometimes rather confusing, the mechanics in those tedious, and some of the solutions in the SG did not match up with mine. So consequently I skipped pretty much all of those.

I do like that they have those icons on the inventory bar that tell you if there are collectibles in the scene.

I think I would have been better off playing the whole demo through and then deciding if it's a buy instead of being compulsive and hitting that button half way through. Lesson learned.

cathybobcat
Minnow
Minnow
203 Posts

[Post New]by cathybobcat on Jan 4, 18 11:37 AM
Except for being shady and cloudy in some areas of a scene (especially in some hos I came across), the graphics are quite lovely and relaxing....music, also. BUT....there are way too many puzzles in this game and I found the strategy guide for the ones I looked up to be useless, so I skipped them, I don't know where they get a count of 20 mini games in this because I encountered so many in the demo, I lost count...got tired of it and had enough. The hos with the flowers was a gorgeous scene...but the hos were far and few between puzzles. As usual, the hos are outnumbered...don't care what the extras has for a count. Do you ever notice how much more time consuming puzzles are to hos? I prefer hos to puzzles any day, and the lack of them and the over abundance of puzzles have prevented me from buying games.

The artifacts and other collectibles were difficult to find at times and in one scene, I just couldn't find it...don't think they are listed in the guide...if so, they were so small I couldn't see them. It is convenient that there is an indicator that glows in the lower left corner by your inventory bar to let you know you have a collectible to be found. I don't know if it matters or not whether you collect them all or not. I am not much into collectibles, but feel they are an important addition to CE material for those that do like them. And it makes a difference when you have time to find them instead of being rushed through a demo. You also collect gold coins (and cards) which I found a bit hard to find because they blend in with the scenes. The coins can be used to decorate a room overlooking the sea. Can be kind of fun, but because of the gameplay which became tedious, I will not be inhabiting that.

You collect tons of inventory which was a bother to me. Much of it is unnecessary items, too. It is excessive and makes a game tedious and boring. You get tired of combing this and that and doing tasks that are not enjoyable...as well as the back and forth and having to remember where everything is needed. It's a chore and you end up becoming disinterested. If you are into the story, all this busy work just gets in the way. You need a good balance in a game and this just doesn't have it. The graphics and music are the best aspects about this game.

MoreOver
Clownfish
Clownfish
853 Posts

[Post New]by MoreOver on Jan 4, 18 12:48 PM
pennmom36 wrote:@MoreOver

This Collector's Edition version has 21 Wallpapers, 20 Concept Art pictures, 5 Music Soundtracks, 27 Movie Videos, 18 re-playable Hidden Object Scenes, 20 re-playable Mini Games, 32 Achievements to earn, 12 hidden Artifacts to find, 14 hidden Deck Cards (find missing cards to learn about the characters) 63 hidden Gold Nuggets to find (allows you to purchase items for your virtual Beach House room) Missing Note Pages to discover (notes written by previous players) a built in Strategy Guide and a Bonus Chapter

I could not care less about any of those things. I do like finding collectibles and morphs while I'm playing the game but as for the goodies after I've completed it?? Nope, not interested in them. I'd rather replay the entire game again. And it still misses the point that this isn't a hidden object game. It's a puzzle game with HOS thrown in. It used to be the other way around, back when I purchased every CE offered. Seems like so long ago.....

divaprods
Minnow
Minnow
285 Posts

[Post New]by divaprods on Jan 4, 18 1:43 PM
MoreOver wrote:This would have been right up my alley. Love dragons and fantasy games. BUT ... one reviewer stated that there are twice as many puzzles as there are HOS. I happen to like HO games, not puzzle games. So this looks like a pass for me.

Are any developers planning on bringing back hidden object games? I know this is saving me quite a ton of money but I need something to do and this isn't working for me.

I agree, I love HOS and usually skip the puzzles and/or mini games. I play HOGs for the HOS

nextgengranny
Minnow
Minnow
273 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Labyrinths of the World: A Dangerous Game Collector's Edition he

[Post New]by nextgengranny on Jan 4, 18 1:52 PM
After playing through the demo twice, I came away w/ the feeling that the storyline is probably going to end up getting buried in this game, which isn't exactly anything new, or anything this dev has cornered the market on. What gets me, though, is the extreme overuse, in my opinion, of multi-part items by this dev. It used to be a "three pieces required" item was a rarity, but this dev at some point started using a LOT of them, & there were even a couple instances in the demo where four parts were required. They seem to sort of compensate for that by having you acquire two or three things at a time, but the sameness of it just becomes tiresome to me; I can't remember the last time I played or demoed a Domini game where I didn't have to assemble & use at least one fishing pole, for example. This is why their games have come to seem so cookie cutter to me, because you go through the same motions in all their games. As for the ratio of HOPs to mini-games, in the demo, there's twice as many of the latter, so it may be that the game gets "HOP heavy" in the latter stages. I didn't have any trouble understanding the mini-games, but I'm something of a mini-game person, & these were mini-games I've seen many times before, to the point that I skipped a couple just because I wasn't interested in playing them. I liked that the collectible artifacts were all different; the only gold nuggets & cards I recall seeing were in some of the windows, which was good, as I would have probably forgot about them otherwise (the window won't close w/ the item uncollected). As usual w/ this dev, the scenery is very colorful, which makes a nice break from the drear weather a lot of us are having. If it weren't for all the repetitious tasks, I'd probably be interested myself, but I'm just really tired of assembling scissors, pliers, smokers, fishing poles, etc.etc.etc. (Also, I've already had to feed two animals to get them to move...& encountering a chimpanzee in "Elf World" left something to be desired to my mind. -.-)

Edit: Meant to mention that hint & skip recharge can be customized down to 15 seconds.

Edited on 01/04/2018 at 2:30:57 PM PST

mamajay
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,222 Posts

[Post New]by mamajay on Jan 4, 18 2:53 PM
It's really interesting, reading all the differing views on this game. I played the beta of this game, and now I've played the demo, and I still like it.

I agree that finding the same things over and over again can get very tedious, but nearly ALL the game developers do that - but at least we aren't looking for gigantic paper clips or screwdrivers anymore, (which is what we got in the earliest HOGs, lol).

I liked that not all the mini games were automatically set to the Hard level (I prefer Easy most of the time ). The graphics are great, the music is nice, and I think the voices are excellent.

Rather than constantly stressing about the repetitious actions in the mini games, I have learned to try and focus on the stories instead. If I really like the story, I will keep playing (unless of course the game mechanics are so poor, it just isn't worth the stress).

I will definitely be buying this game.

As always, try the demo first, that way you will know if it is right for you or not

Cheers,

Jen

cathybobcat
Minnow
Minnow
203 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Labyrinths of the World: A Dangerous Game Collector's Edition he

[Post New]by cathybobcat on Jan 4, 18 7:41 PM
pennmom36 wrote:@MoreOver

I appreciate having this info posted. Sometimes I don't know what the collectibles are as well as how many and I find it informative as well as other CE extras in a game. Although I have only played the demo and not the entire game, I do not agree with the count of puzzles in this game which are numerous and outweigh hos considerably. I know that is the number they have listed. I checked in the extras that gives you pictures of those mini games and hos. I can tell you that there were plenty of mini games in this demo that were not pictured in the extras. Unless things change considerably in the game, I would still assume that there will be more mini games than what they have listed. They have a way of putting them in without categorizing them as a puzzle....just as they are categorizing a game as a HOG when in reality it is everything but. It happens all the time in games now.

Edited on 01/04/2018 at 7:51:22 PM PST

judy76073
Clownfish
Clownfish
531 Posts

[Post New]by judy76073 on Jan 4, 18 9:51 PM
actually, I am quite enjoying this game. Everything is nice and bright on the screen and it is quite pleasant to just relax and enjoy the game play. Doesn't bother me at all that I may have to put together scissors, clippers, fishing rods, etc.

I prefer to play to relax and enjoy and this was a nice change from the last few dark and somewhat dreary games.

I have just started chapter 5. I have found this game to be exactly what I needed right now. Thank you to the developer & BFG for offering this game today to get my mind off other things & the deep freeze here right now (minus 35/40 temps w/windchills). Even my Malamute doesn't want to be outside !! LOL

Happy 2018 to everyone. I wish everyone a great year.

pennmom36
Clownfish
Clownfish
853 Posts

[Post New]by pennmom36 on Jan 5, 18 4:25 AM
@cathybobcat

I agree with you, devs used to count Keywords in sentences as a HOS, now they categorize them as mini games, and even those scenes where you find objects and place them in the scene where they logically go, are now mini games. I bought this game, and it still shows the same amounts as the demo did, which sometimes change because some devs only show the amounts that are in the demo not the entire game. I counted 9 MG's and 5 HO's during the demo, plus 3 or 4 additional small zoom zone HO's of multiple object finds, but I could be wrong, because I stop so often to take so many notes, I may not have progress as far as you did on the demo.

pennmom36
Clownfish
Clownfish
853 Posts

[Post New]by pennmom36 on Jan 5, 18 4:38 AM
I've been seeing changes in all of the games lately. and I've gotta believe it has something to do with the "survey" that bf had a while back, I'd be interested in taking my own survey:

How many of you prefer HOPA games to have more HOP's?

How many of you prefer HOPA games to have more Mini Games?

How many of you prefer an equal amount of HO's to MG's?

How many of you prefer more or less Collectibles & Morphs?

cabanaeast18
Minnow
Minnow
220 Posts

[Post New]by cabanaeast18 on Jan 5, 18 5:12 AM
Beautiful graphics. I like the jumanji stories as far as I got. As I've said about other games with no music, it's like the game is flat when you don't have that continuing flow of music. That's just me, but I wish developers would give us the option of turning OFF the music, if that's your preference.
pennmom, I like more hops. Developers should have an expanded list of likes and dislikes of the actual game players. Thanks for the questions! Maybe a developers is "listening".

nextgengranny
Minnow
Minnow
273 Posts

[Post New]by nextgengranny on Jan 5, 18 5:17 AM
Oh, well, pennmom, you know I'll jump right in to respond, even though I know I'll probably get plowed under for my position regarding collectibles, which has swung back from ,"MORE! MO-O-ORE!!!", to less is more. I'm perfectly happy having one collectible per area & morphs in the HOPs, though I certainly don't object to more being included, so long as I don't feel like they're just being used as filler. I actually kind of like it when additional collectibles are found in zoom zones, such as they are in this game & the LL series, because that way I don't have to think about them much. I also like having the option to go back & collect any I miss after completing the game.

As for "HOPs vs. mini-games", I personally like a good balance, & I prefer a broad range of variety in my HOPs; I also want the quality of the graphics to be high (bad enough to be rooting around in a junkheap sometimes w/o it actually looking like junk ). What I DON'T like is getting slammed w/ HOPs late in the game, as though the devs looked at the playtime, realized it was too scant, & just started throwing HOPs in R & L. I really just want a good balance of all aspects of the HOPA equation from start to finish.

judy76073, I have my share of games I play just to relax w/, too. Thanks for the good wishes, & best wishes for 2018 to you, as well!

Go to: