x2kul
Shark
Shark
10,424 Posts

Wow Fishies!! Relax :D

[Post New]by x2kul on May 30, 10 1:39 PM
As I'm home from work for a month now with an injury, I've played almost every game BF has EVER put out!

Personally, I've become pseudo-sophisticated with HOG, IHOG, etc. type games, so I prefer a challenge, and a storyline I can empathize with or get into to some degree.

That being said, Faded Reality is a "maybe" for me, depending on how long it is. YES, the translations are frustrating (I had the same grrr with the sausage and golf club), but OMG chill out!

Not every game is going to be the be-all-end-all of HOG games! There are some of us that aren't youngsters anymore, and enjoy a game that doesn't find us peeking at a walkthrough or using hints for every other clue! Would it be great if every game was another Azada or MCF? Well, sure! But this isn't a BF original, and anyway, this is a global community, so maybe some of us should respect that, and realize that there are interesting translations for certain objects. There are posters who explained the golf club thing, so that's OUR bad for our ignorance (how any female could play a game originally called Gentlemen Only Ladies Forbidden is a mystery to me, but that's another post!) The sausage was a sausage patty, which they DO sell in the U.S. so, just because it wasn't a link doesn't make it a bad translation or anything.

OK, I'm getting off my soapbox now! Happy Gaming my friends, say something nice to someone and hug a child today!
-x2

Re:Wow Fishies!! Relax :D

[Post New]by BarbaraFish on May 30, 10 2:46 PM
I thought the sausage looked more like peperoni, which, of course, IS a sausage.

Console = tv remote for those still playing. I like this game.

MN_BadGirl
Seahorse
Seahorse
25 Posts

[Post New]by MN_BadGirl on May 31, 10 4:56 PM
I'm unsure why some of the items in the list seem to have weird names. Maybe this was written elsewhere and badly translated into English. I always play untimed the first time I play a game.

The hints on this game recharge quickly. Finding the letters and plugging them into descriptions was something I had never done in all the games I have played so it was kind of fun.

I will play it again in a few weeks so that I will have almost forgotten where stuff is. And I don't like the shoot'em ups or games that raise my stress levels. So those of you who do should go elsewhere because this is not the game for you.

Good luck and have a good time playing.

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on May 31, 10 5:04 PM
I also bought Faded Reality and I had a lot of fun learning new words. I found out new meanings and new words. As I played the game I wrote down the words that puzzled me and later looked them up on the internet. They turned out, for the most part, to be valid names for the items in the list. These are the three most interesting ones I saw.

A three wood golf club can be called a spoon. (Really this is true.)

A clew is in Greek Mythology the ball of thread used by Theseus to find his way out of the labyrinth. I have played the maze game Theseus and the Minotaur but did not know about the clew.

A dragonfly is also called a Mosquito Hawk. How cool is that? I did not know dragonflies hunted mosquitoes. I say go Mosquito Hawks!

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on May 31, 10 9:20 PM
I didn't know about the mosquito hawks, either...and the clew was in another game but I had forgotten it. I don't mind the fractured English, or the odd names for stuff...makes it more fun and a bit more of a challenge...lol, one game I played recently, Antique Roadshow, listed a 'piston'. I kept looking and clicking on piston looking items and ignoring the pistol that was right in front of me. Lo and behold when I used a hint, it was the pistol that was wanted. Did I get angry? Nope, I just laughed. So I agree with this thread...relax and have fun with it all.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Jun 1, 10 2:34 AM
In Antique Roadshow I was hard pressed to even find an antique. Sorry, another gripe.

And our standard bearers MCF had their goofs too, spelling steal as in rob steel. And had us looking and not finding a "pear necklace", wasting a hint to see they left off the l in pearl. Forgot if those were Huntsville or Prime Suspects, but we still forgive and honor MCF and didn't quit buying.

The one I liked in Faded Reality, "scoop" which I finally did take a chance on what I'd call a trowel. Except in some games a trowel is a flat bottom tool used to spread grout or something. So I'm thinking, ok, I use one of those to scoop potting soil into a pot for a plant.

So, what do we want, games to use Latin?? Like flora and fauna to be globally identified, not locally? Look up any common herb you may find 5 to 10- different names for it depending on the locale. I remember in one game looking for chamomile and I'm saying which? English? German? perenial or annual? One has white petals, another no petals, just the golden round part, leaves different.

I'd like to see what Latin for cell phone would be, or crowbar. Yeh I love that dragonfly name too. Oh, clew of yarn I think was in All About Masks (?) Fun stuff!

edit - yarn for yard, nope, haven't been asked for a yard clew yet.

Edited on 06/01/2010 at 5:09:04 PM PST

[Post New]by psychicpussycat on Jun 1, 10 3:15 AM
latin for cellphone - telephonus mobilus?

(erm ... probably not!!)

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Jun 1, 10 4:48 AM
Definitely not.
Tele is Greek. Television is an amalgam of Greek and Latin.

[Post New]by psychicpussycat on Jun 1, 10 5:09 AM
Just testing

Sorry for the hi-jack.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Jun 1, 10 5:07 PM
Psychicpussycat - telephonus mobilus?

LOL I love that. Now we get to figure out if it is Latin or Greek? Even funnier MrRuss. Hybrid names then.

This could be a whole new game to play or contest. NAME THAT THING!

(boomerangus austrailianus?")

Go to: