AnnieO_2424mad
Guppy
Guppy
197 Posts

Unique gameplay?

[Post New]by AnnieO_2424mad on May 30, 10 3:15 PM
The gameplay here is different in a very simple way. There is the usual hidden object list - and included on that list are alphabet letters. When you find a letter, it goes into a little inventory box. Pick up that letter with your cursor and several names of items in the scene will appear on the screen- all having one letter missing. It's very easy to place each letter in the proper item name - which makes that item disappear. And sometimes, another item on your list will then be revealed.

At one point I had to play between two scenes and while each had separate lists, you might find the letters in one scene and the item-names where the letter had to be placed in the other. Nothing difficult.

The difficulty came from the change in graphics - highly saturated color in one scene to a stonewashed blend in the next, plus the SMALL SIZE of the items. The alphabet letters, though, were all easy to find.

The Hint system recharges quickly, so the small items need not put anyone off. Minigames were ok to good and although I didn't skip any, I'm sure I saw a Skip button. I read all the dialogue, too, and the story was ok. The music was actually good.

All in all, this is definitely on my list for sale this weekend.

Re:Unique gameplay?

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on May 31, 10 9:13 PM
I agree this is a bit different and although the story line is a bit gory in nature, I am hooked. I don't mind switching between scenes, although I am a bit spoiled by some other games, and would have liked a bit more interaction...keep clicking on drawers and cupboard doors expecting them to open, lol. The only game I keep skipping is those blasted lights...just didn't seem worth the effort. But when you are stuck on the last thing...the note...you are really stuck until you find it. The only help is here in this forum, lol...so please, tell me where to find the one under the tiger skin? I must be missing something here, because nothing is working.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on May 31, 10 10:54 PM
Some good insights here. The 2 styles of graphics was pretty apparent at first, and I usually go for graphics first in chooseing a game. The first outdoor scene was pleasant until I tried to find things that were way tiny, others were in my face identifiable. I was demoing on my laptop Win7 with 15.6 widescreen. Unfortunately I've only found 2 games that will stretch to fit, most are even reduced to looking at a screen less than 10" diag.

Then inside with the first HOG scene, a bit faded but lovely, just different look and enjoyed finding everything (including the letters). It's more of a challenge when you have maybe 3 to search for, not a longer list. I usually don't see what I am looking for but stumble on it looking for the next object. This way makes you take a lot longer and readjusting your focus so no zip throughs.

I was back outdoors again and somewhere clicked random and to my surprise another beautiful still life type hog opened, nice!! So, if there is any meaning to this switch of artists perhaps, maybe it is in the title, one is reality, one is the faded sight, or seeing through new eyes?

Early reviewers were slamming the letters to spell obvious words. Not so fast there, not just a kids spelling bee. With the back and forths between scenes where you can or can't use them it occurred to me this is exactly like those FROGS some love, and I hate. The gameplay is the same, but I got to like searching or using letters to complete word wayyyyy better than finding tiny pieces of a boring tool, pliers or a tweezers to put together. Now it is fun looking where to find and use the letters to complete a word to move the whole item and find a missing item visible under it. Same as moving a chair to find an item in these clickeroos, or opening drawers once all key parts are found. Don't see that is unique playwise, but sure easier on my brain and EYES putting a word together than a pliers. It's just a unique way of using the same techniques.

Unfortunately, many quick lookers only saw the spelling as too elementary and missed the parallels.
Since it needs just 256ram I demoed again on my pc with 15"flat panel monitor and WOW full screen it came alive and not so hard to find small things. Not grainy or too faded, just how it is meant to look. Last minute I jumped on it to fill my last punch and am reallllllly enjoying it. I look for little gems that are different and story or not, this is a fun visual and very interesting treat. Love it!

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on May 31, 10 11:16 PM
WolfenRaindancer - re the light puzzles. My first take was boggled, I'm not good at even figuring out what I'm supposed to do to accomplish the known task. I'm not even fond of puzzles or braintwisters interrupting my fun and flow, skip buttons required.But for some reason I looked long at these minis and was surprised I could either figure out how to play or just click randomly til something happened to start things. I'm really enjoying these.

That's what I did on the lights, just started clicking on any of them to see what they lit up. Then there were gaps of dark and I kept swapping them around. Finally I noticed they pointed different directions, left, right, up, down, and some the light flowed out both ways depending how the lamp is designed. You can also see the beams of light shapes piled on each other where some the light is not necessary there. Move one of them to point to a missing light space. Bingo, suddenly it was all lit up and puzzle solved. Just keep moving them around swapping with another and when the whole board is lit you got it. Was a LOT simpler than it looked, but I have a mind that wants to complicate everything when it's simple.

Just have to play with it. Good luck

JoyWales
Clownfish
Clownfish
728 Posts

[Post New]by JoyWales on May 31, 10 11:56 PM
I have used up all my demo time on both computers, lol. Usually I play about 15 mins on each - some games will only run on one, some crawl or the cursor is hard to control.
Just kept wanting to do a little bit more - nice to see mini games with a difference.
So will be getting it as soon as my punch card credits arrive.

Go to: