gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

Detective Agency Reviews and Comments

[Post New]by gimmegames on May 30, 10 3:54 PM
I bought this as today's Daily Deal and I'm enjoying it. It's a pretty basic HOG, I guess you'd say junk-pile type. But the graphics and music are pleasant enough. It's not a "must buy", but it's worth the 3 bucks, in my book. I've played maybe a couple hours so far is all.

It's not timed and there's plenty of hints - which you sometimes have to use to find mis-named items lol. The plate turned out to be a bowl, the wrist bands were really handcuffs, the pipe was actually a French horn, and a piece was a chess pawn. I don't mind grabbing a hint to find those sorts of things, especially at daily deal prices. Sometimes it's amusing to guess at these too.

Noralg
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

Re:Detective Agency Reviews and Comments

[Post New]by Noralg on May 30, 10 4:19 PM
WOW! This is a really BAD game. The translation to English is so bad that it's difficult to understand in places. The graphics are poor at best. I'm always inclined to give the $2.99 games a lot of leeway, but this is definitely not worth $3.

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on May 30, 10 4:48 PM
Most of the hints are fine. But there's often one of them in the list that is just not right. Many parts are the kind of HOG where they show you a silhouette - so no problems with language on those parts. Guesses weren't punished, so it was fun.

I just finished playing to the end. I'm still not quite sure what the story was, but I do know who done it lol. I still say it's worth three bucks lol.

karolyneb
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,459 Posts

[Post New]by karolyneb on May 30, 10 5:42 PM
Detective Agency Review
Detective Agency is a junkpile HOG with some minigames, find the difference puzzles, and silhouette HOG portions.

The good:
No timers
Hints, while limited, are easy to find
Objects are reasonably easy to find
Graphics are reasonably clear and well lit
Story is skippable
All minigames are skippable

The bad:
Solving some minigames are pretty random - for some, the only way to do it appears to be to just place things randomly
Localization is sub-par (but, honestly, I've seen *much* worse)
Story is rather dull
Custom cursor
Soundtrack isn't very long and loops endlessy
Easy to accidentally click skip on minigames when looking at the rules popup window (the 'skip' button is where most developers put the 'close' button)

Who will like this game:
Folks who are looking for a relaxing HOG without timers
Folks who generally skip all the dialog anyway

Who will hate this game:
Folks who prefer IHOGs
Folks who like an actual story with their HOG

Karolyneb's soapbox (with spoliers):
The thing that disappointed me the most about this game was the fact that the minigames were so poor. Many of them were quite unique but most of the play value was spolied by the fact that there didn't seem to be a good way to use logic to solve them.

An excellent example is the radio - it is pretty easy to see where the vacuum tubes go but the other things just seemed to go in randomly. There was no indication that, say, the speaker went in any given spot - no screws or wires or anything. And as for the 10 digit numeric code - since the game was only set up to show a correct number and not correct numbers in the right position (like most games like this do), that akso was sheer guesswork.

Slowglass
Seahorse
Seahorse
28 Posts

Detective Agency Review: Hmmm....Not So Good. One Opinion.

[Post New]by Slowglass on Jun 1, 10 12:52 AM
Well...not great. I played this game for an hour or so and will keep it for when I run out of absolutely everything else to do, HOGwise. The story graphics were boring and the game, when run at 'full screen' just ran as a box in the middle of the screen, with black outside, making me squint. Other BF games run in that mode run larger and easier on my eyes. Game seemed to run okay, otherwise, but there's not a lot of anything going on, at least to my taste. I only played for a bit but the soundtrack was one basically inoffensive ditty repeated ad infinitum. Sigh.

The 'find it by the shape' scenes I encountered were interesting, as was the button mini-game, reminding me of a puzzle I worked IRL with oooh-ahh- real plastic pieces, years ago.

Detective Agency isn't bad enough to uninstall....yet. We'll have to see how many rainy days show up in the next few months.

Jixio
Lobster
Lobster
89 Posts

Detective Agency Reviews and Comments

[Post New]by Jixio on Jun 1, 10 5:44 AM
gimmegames wrote:I bought this as today's Daily Deal and I'm enjoying it. It's a pretty basic HOG, I guess you'd say junk-pile type. But the graphics and music are pleasant enough. It's not a "must buy", but it's worth the 3 bucks, in my book. I've played maybe a couple hours so far is all.

It's not timed and there's plenty of hints - which you sometimes have to use to find mis-named items lol. The plate turned out to be a bowl, the wrist bands were really handcuffs, the pipe was actually a French horn, and a piece was a chess pawn. I don't mind grabbing a hint to find those sorts of things, especially at daily deal prices. Sometimes it's amusing to guess at these too.

Jixio
Lobster
Lobster
89 Posts

[Post New]by Jixio on Jun 1, 10 5:50 AM
The translations were brave and adorable.

Go to: