bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Your Comments and Review for The Inquisitor

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on May 31, 10 1:26 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of The Inquisitor? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

bfgFlounder

lucyloket
Guppy
Guppy
138 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Review for The Inquisitor

[Post New]by lucyloket on May 31, 10 2:06 AM
I thought I'd share my experience of the demo with the other fishies;

It took about 6 minutes to install. The artwork was very medieval in effect - lots of browns and earthy colours.
Now, I decided to be patient and let the game run through at it's own pace and this is what happened -
The background story is run as a scrolling screen with some sketch pictures and written words (I never have the sound on). This part took the best part of 4 minutes to play. I began to feel I was watching a very slow film!
Eventually you get to the first H.O scene. Quite dark and some well hidden items. Not many things on the list. There's a bit more 'speech' and then you move to the next scene.
I went to the first place and was treated to another 2 1/2 minute cut scene! Followed by being returned to the outside area - I had to re-enter the building before facing another H.O. Quickly had another H.O to do before moving on.
Got another 1 minute cut scene for my efforts

This took me to the second chapter with another cut scene over a minute long!
Had a spot the diff. scene then.

By this time 30 minutes of my demo had elapsed and I was losing the will so I stopped playing.

The game moves on so slowly that it's probably a long game if you don't skip the dialogue bits but it's soooooooooo dull.

BTW, 3 random clicks and the cursor goes on a wander - you can avoid this by constantly moving it while you click!

Not one for me to spend my money on, I'm afraid. 2 out of 5 for effort.

Rage74
Squid
Squid
60 Posts

[Post New]by Rage74 on May 31, 10 2:59 AM
An A+ for storyline, I will give it that. An intriguing mystery and the background art is realistic.

To move things along a bit quicker, skip the cutscenes and then read them at your own, assumedly faster, pace in your Journal. They are preserved there, verbatim, so you aren't going to miss anything.

However, the Hidden Object scenes are just too...I'm not going to say difficult, because that's not the right word. They SHOULD be easy, because there are relatively few objects clustered in each scene. However, the style of artwork and color scheme makes it very difficult to pick out individual objects, and I found that some objects I never would have figured out on my own without a hint, because they just did not look like anything resembling the object named. In fact, at the Cesspool scene, I was instructed to find a "necklace." Well, I had to use a hint and even then it took 45 seconds of careful clicking to pick out the teeny tiny not-very-necklace-looking object. I honestly never would have figured that one out.

There's really no such things as a "tutorial" either - I had to guess that the "cross" was the hint button (though if I recall correctly, the cutscene did hint that the cross would "guide" me or something; subtle, but come on). And the "return to menu" button is ridiculously vague and unlabeled.

All things considered, I'm going to pass on this one. It has promise, but not enough substance.

Edited on 05/31/2010 at 3:00:34 AM PST

sunnyrocks
Squid
Squid
63 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyrocks on May 31, 10 3:52 AM
I agree with everything mentioned above, some items are so hard to find, like the horseshoe in one of the scenes is blended so well into the stones that I had to use a hint. The hint is slow to fill, and the cut scenes are way to long. The mini game where you need to find the differences is just about impossiable without using the hint a few times. There is no tutorial so you will be guessing your way through.

I'm not sure if I will purchase, however It will be a long game between reading the long storyline, finding next to impossiable objects, and guessing my way around.

MCF needs to come out with another great game.

scarlet_11dy6
Flounder
Flounder
2,031 Posts

[Post New]by scarlet_11dy6 on May 31, 10 4:22 AM
Played this mos ago, wasn't impressed, & no, despite the plethora of cut scenes, it's NOT that long, esp w/o them. An "inquisitor" is NOT what this monk is. That is someone sent by the Roman Catholic Church to seek & destroy heretics, which would be, in theor opinion, anyone NOT RC. He's what would be called a "witchfinder", but maybe the devs didn't want to insult the religious crowd with an alleged occult themed title? Nah, that can't be it, as the girl IS accused of witchcraft from the get-go. So they're historically inaccurate, as a lot of the stuff in the game was. It's a pet peeve of mine when devs attempt an historically themed game & can't be bothered to do the research b/c they must figure we're all too stupid to know any better.

Surprised to see it finally here, as the topic of religion is a no-no.

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on May 31, 10 4:27 AM
This game is all about the story. As Rage74 scored A+ for story.

The gameplay is not all that bad but certainly not brilliant, There are dark scenes and hard to find objects. The spot the difference scenes are too difficult- even hints do not help sometimes,
However, some of the puzzles are ok and the gameplay does suit the dark story theme. They do keep the objects to the time period and the tasks do fit the story.
I don't think you can skip puzzles (I might be wrong there- will check)

I enjoy it despite the faults of the gameplay because I love games with deep stories.

woodentot
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,391 Posts

[Post New]by woodentot on May 31, 10 4:31 AM
Sorry not for me, graphics much to dark, I had to use a hint in the first H O scene, to find a beetle. Played for 15 mins before uninstalling. will give it for trying.

Edited on 05/31/2010 at 4:32:14 AM PST

pako
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by pako on May 31, 10 4:49 AM
Game loads fine, you just can't pick up hidden objects once you find them

pako
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by pako on May 31, 10 4:51 AM
Isn't this the second time you put out this game? Same issues!!!

luvtoread
Manatee
Manatee
4,081 Posts

[Post New]by luvtoread on May 31, 10 5:03 AM
Agree-Storyline A+.
No tutorials-which is fine with me-don't use them half the time anyway.
I found HOG scenes to be typical-gets harder as you "clean house"
The cursor will change to hand or eye to help you.
There is a skip button, but for me I enjoyed reading the progressive storyline
The spot the difference was tough-and I enjoy them.
I think this will be a buy for me in June.

krissywillow
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,084 Posts

[Post New]by krissywillow on May 31, 10 5:09 AM
The negative comments don't surprise me. After taking a quick look at the screenshots, I didn't think I'd like this one. I despise that style of graphics, and the brown/gray/dark color scheme along with it made this game a negative for me.

The story means close to nothing to me so I don't care if the story is good. I want a good story, I read a book or watch a movie. I'm doing this for the gameplay, and if the graphics or other aspects of the gameplay don't appeal, I'm not into it.

Probably won't even demo it as the reviews have confirmed my suspicion.

P.S. Last night I spent a few hours playing Love Chronicles The Spell. Now there's a game with a schmaltzy story, but what a fun game. The graphics are simply lovely, detailed, crisp and clear. A pleasant fun game. Not work like I suspect this one is, lol.

Edited on 05/31/2010 at 5:50:42 AM PST

momshere
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

[Post New]by momshere on May 31, 10 5:19 AM
To each his own - I'm sure some will enjoy this one. However, I agree with most of the dissenters:
1. Too dark. I have my monitor and video settings adjusted to light as possible and STILL was painfully dark.

2. Some objects impossible to find - not because they are well-hidden, although for the most part they are, but because they do not look anything like what you expect. The "rosary" in one scene looked like a pile of rocks, no cross in sight - never would have found without a hint.

3. Yawn-inducing music, and

4. The story-line, while it had an interesting premise, it was not riveting. After less than 30 minutes, I really didn't care if the girl was a witch or not, or even if there was one.

I will not be buying this one.

kkbodine
Guppy
Guppy
131 Posts

[Post New]by kkbodine on May 31, 10 5:35 AM
I hate to write negative reviews but I absolutely LOATHE everything about these kind of games. From the extreme darkness on EVERY scene to the spot the itty bitty teeny tiny difference every other scene. There is no skip option...HUGE turn off for me. One spot the difference was actually a blade of grass...yes a teeny tiny blade of grass!! Also, the cursor is anal, three wrong clicks and it spins around. The hint button is broad, you get a starred circle but really cant see what in world it is trying to show you. I'm sorry I wasted an hour of my life even on the demo. NO DEAL.

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on May 31, 10 6:22 AM
I agree with all the above comments except the storyline as I just didn't have the patience to find out what it was all about . After my cursor went walkabout when I was trying to pick up the pitchfork and then did it again on the necklace that was enough for me, I deleted the game.

Why oh why do the programmers have to 'slap your fins' because you are not clicking in the exact right place as in this case or, when the scene is too dark and it is impossible to see the item you are looking for you click everywhere in desperation.

99.999999999% of the time the amount of misclicks that you make does not affect the game in any way shape or form so why do they insist on treating us like naughty schoolchildren up before the headmaster and getting the cane when it is them that cause the problems in the first place.

I am getting sick and tired of games that do this and from now on, unless the game is really exceptional (which this one isn't) I will let my fingers do the walking AWAY from the BUY IT NOW BUTTON as they have done with this game.

No sale.

jyork
Lobster
Lobster
94 Posts

[Post New]by jyork on May 31, 10 6:37 AM
I would not purchase this game. I'm not a huge fan of HOG, but some I do like, mostly the ones with mini games. Some of the scenes in this game were so dark it was difficult for me to see the items. This game does not give great direction and I think it may have some bugs because I was not able to pick items up until I clicked the hint (cross).

Not for me.

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on May 31, 10 6:42 AM
i played 2 scenes and uninstalled, too dark, and waaaaaay too boring!

[Post New]by Marinersfan04 on May 31, 10 6:49 AM
I liked the drawings and the scenes. I would LOVE some games set in the middle ages. Would it be possible for a Brother Cadfael mystery to be made into a game, I wonder?

That said, I had too much difficulty in this one finding the objects, ended up squinting at the screen. Not good

Rage74
Squid
Squid
60 Posts

[Post New]by Rage74 on May 31, 10 6:56 AM
scarlet_11dy6 wrote: An "inquisitor" is NOT what this monk is. That is someone sent by the Roman Catholic Church to seek & destroy heretics, which would be, in theor opinion, anyone NOT RC.

You have a point, and one that was flitting around in my brain during the demo. I was like, "Gosh, he's awfully open-minded for an Inquisitor..." Or, more like, "Nobody expects the open-minded Inquisition!"

If a REAL Inquisitor had been the main character of this game, he would have branded the woman by the river as a witch and had her, Katrin, and the warden's wife Maria burned at the stake immediately. The entire game would have lasted five minutes.

Hmm...come to think of it, perhaps that would have been an improvement?

OLDBAY
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by OLDBAY on May 31, 10 7:25 AM
Looks like a reject to me ..Not much to experience , much less buy ?

biomix
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,854 Posts

[Post New]by biomix on May 31, 10 7:35 AM
I am really enjoying this game. I like the story. It's long but it's like enjoying a good book. I really like the atmosphere and music. The graphics are very appealing to me. I like the minis. I am not having much trouble in finding items.
This is a buy for me. I had one more game to fill my punch card and between this one and the detective story from the other day, this one is my pick.
It would be great to play on a dark and stormy night.

Go to: