Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Medium Detective: Fright from the Past Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Jan 6, 18 12:42 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 01/06/2018 at 9:32:14 AM PST

Aerosage
Lobster
Lobster
81 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Medium Detective: Fright from the Past Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by Aerosage on Jan 6, 18 4:57 AM
Been there; done that! Truly, it is a sad way for BigFish to start off the New Year. They should go back over their entire inventory of games, so they'll be able to come up with new games that bear no resemblance to these. For instance, if you'd really like to play a game that is Sherlock HolmesESQUE, along with some of the best graphics I've seen in a game, your best bet would be to play Brink Of Consciousness: The Lonely Hearts Murders CE. This particular game is light years ahead of this one and it was created in November of 2012. It continues to hold a four-star rating with 156 reviews. Today, the majority of their games won't even attract a quarter of this many individual 'gamers'. If BigFish cannot or will not do this then they seriously need to consider 'closing shop'.

leacraw
Shark
Shark
14,048 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Medium Detective: Fright from the Past Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by leacraw on Jan 6, 18 5:45 AM
I found too many slider and/or rotate puzzles. They just don't work for me, so a no buy.
As always, try for yourself. Happy gaming.

Flissa2
Squid
Squid
79 Posts

[Post New]by Flissa2 on Jan 6, 18 5:49 AM
Yes Big Fish has really gone down over the past year. With much regret I have cancelled my membership after much soul searching but I cant justify it any longer.

nanafraser
Minnow
Minnow
252 Posts

[Post New]by nanafraser on Jan 6, 18 6:44 AM
These creepy games the Devs put out are like hair stylists. You ask for a certain style & you get what they want to give you! You ask for a nice interesting non creepy game & you get ones like this! One right after another!
Granted the games made OK HOs are pretty good, but this creep factor they put out, whats the deal! & for the ones who like it! good for you, but play one of BFs older games you'll see the difference! At least we had a choice on creepy or non creepy!

Edited on 01/06/2018 at 6:46:07 AM PST

[Post New]by JamieJB on Jan 6, 18 7:28 AM
I got excited when I saw this game. Alas it reminds me of others I've played.
With the main person, it right away reminded me of The Unseen Fears series. I was willing to give it a chance, but yes. It was too familiar.

pennmom36
Clownfish
Clownfish
853 Posts

[Post New]by pennmom36 on Jan 6, 18 7:47 AM
This game is perfectly fine. Is it a fantastic game? Certainly not, but it's a decent game with decent graphics and an interesting plot. Although its a bit weak when it comes to HOP's, they are fairly well done. I for one am sooo happy to see a fairly new dev (makers of Tales of Terror and Haunted Train) stick their foot in the door, now and then, and I for one will give them a chance, I don't always expect to play a masterpiece, but it's not bad, and it's a new series for once!

pennmom36
Clownfish
Clownfish
853 Posts

[Post New]by pennmom36 on Jan 6, 18 7:49 AM

Burned at the stake, purified by fire (nope, its not a marshmallow) accused of atrocious, unspeakable crimes and witchcraft. Such a savage punishment, yet, before the flames engulfed his entire body, Malefic vowed to return. "You and all your descendants will suffer" That was two hundred and fifty years ago, but Detective Pike fears the "Man of Shadows" has returned to enact his revenge upon the distant relatives who so barbarically ended his life.

Detective Pike seems to be the only one who believes that Katherine Garrison-Oaks was murdered, much less at the hands of a city legend superstition. He has asked Claire Arlington to join his investigation, and help him get proof that the Man of Shadows has once again returned. Claire has a supernatural gift, one that allows her to see past events with the help of an all seeing Amulet. I know, I know, another amulet, another psychic medium that sees into the past while in a trance, been there done that. But this story line is somewhat different, and not once did I grow weary from boredom in the demo, the graphics are well done, and I thought the Hidden Object Scenes and Mini Games were very well constructed. I want to see more from Deep Shadow Games, I think they're on to something here!

rainworm
Herring
Herring
360 Posts

[Post New]by rainworm on Jan 6, 18 8:27 AM
Basically this is a decent game. Won't repeat anything of the contents here or complain of anything. Would have liked it more, if there weren't those reminiscences to other games, that lately told a similar story (a sorcerer burnt at the stake, coming back...) It is not the same story, though very much the same direction. So I will pass on the CE and perhaps come back to have a look at the SE.

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Jan 6, 18 8:33 AM
Nothing new, but not really a bad game. Not worth feull price IMO, but worthy of 60% off. Try it, it's free

bfgBeruna
2,525 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBeruna on Jan 6, 18 9:32 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Medium Detective: Fright from the Past Collector's Edition here. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting in this thread as the moderators will be removing any content that isn’t a review.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Medium Detective: Fright from the Past Collector's Edition.

2) Be respectful of the reviewers and keep in mind our Forum Rules. Please do not review the reviews of others. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.

3) Do not review developers. If you have feedback regarding the developer, feel free to PM any of the moderators so that we can pass this along.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning. .

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgBeruna

cathybobcat
Minnow
Minnow
203 Posts

[Post New]by cathybobcat on Jan 6, 18 1:29 PM
This is characteristic of an older game dynamically and what it has to offer leaves a lot to be desired. Although very dark at times, the graphics are atmospheric and story interesting, which I did like very much. You have an amulet, but all you do is click on it, that's it. You don't pick it up and start looking for anything. Not much for collectibles which were difficult to see in some scenes. They are like small graffiti pictures. Also has some morphs, but I only found 2. There is no indication of how many you have found or how many you have left to collect. You cannot replay mini games or HOS that I saw (which I wouldn't want to for anything, but think they should be included). Other than offering you a bonus game, I do not think this is CE worthy whatsoever.

In this demo I counted 14 puzzle/mini games (2 more should be included in this number) and 4 HOS, one was a repeat scene. This is outrageous to me and disproportionate to anything else you are doing in this game. It's bad enough that you have to collect and put a multitude of inventory items together, many of which are a chore. Why can't you just collect a knife or whatever without having to oil it, sharpen it, find other parts for it, find nails, hammer, and other nonsense? I don't think this is fun or enjoyable. This is far from being a perfect game.

If it weren't for all of the excessive puzzles, one right after another, I would buy this game....but I absolutely refuse to spend my money or my time being consumed with something that is supposed to be a balanced game and a pleasure to play for everyone and is not. All of what most of this game does (from the demo) is cater to those who thrive on mini games and puzzles...and I am not one of those. Things should be balanced and in moderation...this one clearly is not.

lilyr
Marlin
Marlin
8,137 Posts

[Post New]by lilyr on Jan 6, 18 3:03 PM
I was all set to get this as a SE, until I read the part about having to use a special glass for the supernatural parts.

Why can't we have a nice, plain mystery to solve?

pennmom36
Clownfish
Clownfish
853 Posts

[Post New]by pennmom36 on Jan 7, 18 6:22 AM
@Aerosage

fyi: Out of 11 HOPA CE's shown on the main sales page, 4 were given 5 stars, 3 were given 4 stars, 4 were given 3 stars. The month before, most of my reviews were given 2 or 3 stars.

Could it be that you only pay attention to the 5 star ratings because that's all you want to see? When in fact it was only 4 out of 11 games, 7 games, the majority, were rated lower? I receive backlash when I don't give a game a 5 star rating, and I get backlash when I do because it wasn't of the same opinion as their own!

Was there a problem with the reviews themselves, or did you just feel the need to review the reviewer? The star rating has nothing to do with the review, the star rating is simply MY opinion of the game, not your opinion of the game. My reviews give the facts and features of the game, what you can expect to find or not find, but again, the star rating reflects how I personally feel about the game. That's why the yes/no scenario is available (Was this review helpful yes or no, it doesn't ask was this rating helpful) I don't expect everyone to feel the same way as I do, why would I? Why would you?

If I didn't enjoy most of the games offered, why on earth would I continue to pay for a monthly membership?

bwake47
Starfish
Starfish
40 Posts

[Post New]by bwake47 on Jan 7, 18 9:43 AM
Thank you pennmom36 for your review. I don't always take the time to read someone's full review, no matter how short or long. I have noticed you haven't been constantly giving 5* reviews to every game as I once felt you did. As a result, I check to see how you rate. I basically check each review with a quick glance to see if they liked/disliked the game. I thought this game sounded fun, so I was encouraged by your review and plan to purchase it. So, again thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts on the game.

MissAbby
Catfish
Catfish
1,709 Posts

[Post New]by MissAbby on Jan 7, 18 10:57 AM
They should have named this game "MEDIOCRE DETECTIVE" because that's about all the enthusiasm I can muster for it.

Again same old same old. I, for one, DO expect a few good games from BFG! I pays my money I expects to be entertained and challenged! Something other than interchangeable plots, characters and story lines!

I will give them a star for "trying" to burn Mick Jagger at the stake in the beginning. It is obvious they didn't succeed! (I love the Stones btw)

Abs

pennmom36
Clownfish
Clownfish
853 Posts

[Post New]by pennmom36 on Jan 7, 18 12:06 PM

@bwake47:

Thank you, you have no idea how much I appreciate the kind words, it means the world to me. I write reviews to help others to know what features a game has. It's hurtful to be criticized just because you like or don't like a game, to be told that your opinion isn't worth anything, that all your hard work is meaningless. Once again thank you

RasmusB
Guppy
Guppy
199 Posts

[Post New]by RasmusB on Jan 10, 18 1:39 PM
Unfortunately the gfx is so ugly and grainy, that it almost hurt my eyes. Instant unininstall.

sandicats5
Clownfish
Clownfish
573 Posts

[Post New]by sandicats5 on Jan 25, 18 6:52 PM
I enjoyed this game, but did have to skip a lot of puzzles as the guide didn't seem to help.

jennsmom
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by jennsmom on Feb 2, 18 3:40 PM
Coming here late, but I just got around to playing this for the first and ONLY time. I found it to be illogical, and some of the puzzles drove me round the bend. It isn't that they were that difficult, it's that they didn't work. Some (a colored lock puzzle) wouldn't move at all. Many did not work properly. The one with arrows wouldn't work and I even check the SG, but I had all the arrows just as pictured so as others, I had to skip it. I finally finished main game and bonus, but I'll never play it again, and I look on it as a waste of money.

Go to: