bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Your Comments and Review for AGON: From Lapland to Madagascar

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Jun 1, 10 1:31 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of AGON: From Lapland to Madagascar? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

bfgFlounder

krissywillow
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,084 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Review for AGON: From Lapland to Madagascar

[Post New]by krissywillow on Jun 1, 10 5:02 AM
First-person perspective. No go for me, unfortunately.

soblessed57
Manatee
Manatee
3,780 Posts

[Post New]by soblessed57 on Jun 1, 10 6:53 AM
krissywillow wrote:First-person perspective. No go for me, unfortunately.

Oh NOES, I don't like those at all!

[Post New]by CaymanTurtle on Jun 1, 10 7:13 AM
Tried the demo and it is was great, as expected. Loved the puzzles - they are difficult enough that you have to sit back and think about some of them, not an obvious solution. I enjoyed the first chapter (The London Scene) but was disgusted that that game ended as soon as the journey to Lapland started. I am hesitant to buy this since I fear it will end as soon as the second part of the stone is found, leaving you to wonder, "where's the rest of the game???" If anyone has bought it, I would be interested to know if the games ends in Lapland or do you get to visit more than one spot this time.

Edited on 06/01/2010 at 4:34:35 PM PST

vkacademy
Guppy
Guppy
105 Posts

[Post New]by vkacademy on Jun 1, 10 10:23 AM
I'm still miffed that I spent a credit on the first one, only to have it run out of time 10 minutes after that. My grudges-- I hold them.

Misty40
Clownfish
Clownfish
923 Posts

[Post New]by Misty40 on Jun 1, 10 10:32 AM
I'm gonna give the demo a try. It's good to see a LFG come out. This is probably another one I'll buy but not finish...LOL.

NouniSmile
Koi
Koi
281,317 Posts

[Post New]by NouniSmile on Jun 1, 10 11:54 AM
I was very optimistic with the introduction of the game, I thought it is going to be the right one for me.
As soon as I started playing, I didn't felt comfortable with the navigation style of the game. So this discouraged me to continue with the game.

Nouni

Spidercat222
Guppy
Guppy
125 Posts

[Post New]by Spidercat222 on Jun 1, 10 11:55 AM
Is it anything like Syberia ? Not that I expect the same quality, but if it's at least half as good then it's worth a try.

Koalanut
Marlin
Marlin
8,777 Posts

[Post New]by Koalanut on Jun 1, 10 12:26 PM
Usually first person adventure games are my favorite games. I bought this several years ago, I believe it was the first three episodes on one disc. I wasn't fond of the navigation, and it was short especially when it is supposed to be three episodes. I believe there is a fourth episode out, not sure I even got it. It was not one of my favorite adventure games, but it does play like any other first person adventure.

Kezzi
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

[Post New]by Kezzi on Jun 1, 10 1:35 PM
i usually judge a game by its first hour, but i was bored beyond belief by the first 5 minutes of this one.... firstly if you set your sound to no speech and no background sounds, that apparently doesnt apply to the countless scenes filled with speech and noise. secondly before you even start the game they bore you with tons of reading and then you start the game with a white expanse of snow, hardly anything to do and expect the gamer to think how exciting i'll continue.... i pity this gaming company... they really dont "touch base" with real gamers....

sassybee
Guppy
Guppy
179 Posts

[Post New]by sassybee on Jun 1, 10 2:18 PM
Hi fishies. This game sounds quite short though I thought they had it listed as a LFG. I'm still undecided on this game, think I need more info. Would ya'll expand on your comments a little please?

For instance there is no mention of graphics. Is it dull, dark, blah, pretty, colorful, etc?

There are several episodes. Do the games end abruptly or leave you hanging from one to the other or is each one sufficient to itself? Could you estimate the short time of play?

Is there a hint button? Or something in the dialogue to clue the player in?

Sorry vkacademy, I'm not sure about your comment. Are you saying this is a timed game?

There were a couple of comments about navigation. What is the navigation style?

Thanks for any help. I love first person so this is not a problem for me.

[Post New]by rosie28sammy on Jun 1, 10 4:19 PM
I played 20 minutes of the hour demo and I can honestly say this game is definitely not for me. I usually love playing Nancy Drew games, but I felt this wasn't anywhere as enjoyable as other games in the genre.

A couple of things bothered me while demoing. First, there is so much background information you need to have to understand why and what you are doing that if you took all the time you needed to read it all, you would run out of demo time. There is a LOT of background information and things you need to read on your own. Secondly, the motion made me rather nauseous. I usually can't play 360 games so it might just be a personal problem. Another thing I found irritating with the movement is that it seemed backwards from regular gameplay. At first I couldn't figure out how to move the person. I finally figured out that you have to click on a spot and hold down the left mouse button and move the cursor in the direction you want to go except that you went in the opposite direction. This also added to my nausea as I was never sure where I was going.

Thirdly, the are absolutely no hints, tips, tricks, or help in this game. At least in Nancy Drew games, you can use the phone to call one of Nancy's friends if you get stuck. Someone nicely posted where there was a walkthrough, but I think I would be constantly using the walkthrough. If I have to keep doing that, the game isn't fun. Maybe if I had the time to thoroughly read the background information, it might have been different, but as it was, I will have to pass.

[Post New]by rosie28sammy on Jun 1, 10 4:25 PM
Sassybee,

Hopefully this will help:

For instance there is no mention of graphics. Is it dull, dark, blah, pretty, colorful, etc?

The graphics are really good. There are maybe a few spots that are a little grainy, but overall very nice and not too dark. I thought they were as pretty as they could be considering what they contained.

Is there a hint button? Or something in the dialogue to clue the player in?

No, there is absolutely no help in this game. No hint button, no one to call or ask for help either. No way to figure out what to do. I read the walkthrough and it said in one part that the main character tells you he is cold so you are supposed to figure out that you need to load and light a stove somewhere in the room. Well, I never heard him utter anything about being cold, and I was listening to what he was saying, so the supposed hint wasn't very helpful for me.

Sorry vkacademy, I'm not sure about your comment. Are you saying this is a timed game?
There was no timer in the game.

There were a couple of comments about navigation. What is the navigation style?
As I said above the navigation was really wonky compared to what I am used to. At first I couldn't figure out how to move the main character. In the beginning you get an arrow, but all of a sudden there is no arrow and no indication of how to move. I tried using my keyboard, etc. even moving the cursor. Finally I tried holding down the mouse button and moving my cursor in the direction I wanted to go. I found it moved the main character, but in the opposite direction. If I moved the cursor quickly, the screen moved very quickly which was sort of nauseating. If you are used to this, than you should have a problem, though.

Edited on 06/01/2010 at 4:32:37 PM PST

Halotop
Starfish
Starfish
51 Posts

[Post New]by Halotop on Jun 1, 10 5:34 PM
For me, my dear little fishies... it's quite simple... no walkthrough... no purchase...

bailey8877
Guppy
Guppy
122 Posts

[Post New]by bailey8877 on Jun 1, 10 6:09 PM
I couldn't figure out much either. I played for over 45 and couldn't figure out what to with the Morse code. I finally found a walkthrough with five minutes left. I don't think this will stay up long but I will put in the page. [outside URL removed by moderator]

Edited on 06/16/2010 at 3:07:27 PM PST

sassybee
Guppy
Guppy
179 Posts

[Post New]by sassybee on Jun 1, 10 7:36 PM
Thank you so much Rosie. Very kind of you. It looks this is a game I don't want to play as I also hate those 360% angles. Not nausea but just a headache to play so I certainly appreciate your input.

ryanjohn
Seahorse
Seahorse
33 Posts

[Post New]by ryanjohn on Jun 1, 10 9:02 PM
I quit this game after 15 minutes. I love the Nancy Drew games and adventure games like Syberia, but this one was too boring. The letters and reading in the beginning were uninteresting and long. The navigation was difficult for me. I also was lost regarding what to do, but that was probably because I didn't read 75% of the junk at the beginning.

The graphics and sounds were fine for me. So was the character's voice. I am disappointed as I was looking forward to a good LFG.

This is a no go for me. So much a no that I won't even finish the trial.

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Jun 1, 10 10:01 PM
I quit this game after 15 minutes. this one was too boring. The letters and reading in the beginning were uninteresting and long. The navigation was difficult for me. I also was lost regarding what to do, but that was probably because I didn't read 75% of the junk at the beginning.

The graphics and sounds were fine for me. So was the character's voice. I am disappointed as I was looking forward to a good LFG.

This is a no go for me. So much a no that I won't even finish the trial.

ditto from me!

Misty40
Clownfish
Clownfish
923 Posts

[Post New]by Misty40 on Jun 1, 10 10:21 PM
Wow, no good reviews for this game yet? I haven't even demo'd it yet as I waiting to see what others had to say.

Fransje66
Rainbowfish
Rainbowfish
42,217 Posts

[Post New]by Fransje66 on Jun 2, 10 3:52 AM
Does this game have a START somewhere?
l've been going through 5 min. of rubbish and did not get into the game.

Go to: