Jellyfish
Jellyfish
14 Posts

Length of game

[Post New]by NKXS on Jun 1, 10 6:19 AM
Does anyone know how long this game is? Thanks

Re:Length of game

[Post New]by CaymanTurtle on Jun 1, 10 7:15 AM
I'd like to know too. The file size is small so I think it will be just as short as the first. I won't be buying it unless it is longer than the first one, which was highly disappointing. Amazing game but not interested in only buying half of it.

Euskalduna
Stingray
Stingray
5,991 Posts

[Post New]by Euskalduna on Jun 1, 10 7:28 AM
What exactly is this game? Hidden object, adventure, strategy or what? The description does not say.

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by hannah57 on Jun 1, 10 8:08 AM
It's an ADVENTURE game. If you've played other ones like it, you'd have known this.

stingstungme
Minnow
Minnow
216 Posts

[Post New]by stingstungme on Jun 1, 10 12:40 PM
hannah57 wrote:It's an ADVENTURE game. If you've played other ones like it, you'd have known this.

Well the poster above you was correct in mentioning that the description didn't say what it is was. The category is large file games and the top 5 include hidden object games.

So you can't say "if you've played others one like it, you'd have known this" when we don't know what IT is. =)

CiCiRR
Lobster
Lobster
84 Posts

[Post New]by CiCiRR on Jun 1, 10 4:38 PM
Pardon me for asking, but what does the type of game have anything to do with the length?

mountfalcon
Lobster
Lobster
99 Posts

[Post New]by mountfalcon on Jun 2, 10 12:33 AM
I found a reference to the series, which suggests that the gameplay should be about two to three hours - although the reviewer is evidently an experienced adventurer. He also said that this part is harder than the first and, wait for it, this is the second part of a planned fourteen parts in all. It seems also that this part, like the first, ends abruptly. He feels that the value is good, probably based on the gameplay rather than the length, and that there is great satisfaction in finishing it. I suspect that I could only finish it with a lot of help, which rather spoils the fun (and the fact that I have to keep my own notes of what I find is going to be a chore). It does look lovely, but I don't think I have enough determination to see it through - one for enthusiasts I think.

[Post New]by CaymanTurtle on Jun 2, 10 2:11 AM
Fourteen parts?!!?? So I am expected to pay close to $100 to be able to finish the entire game series? The game play is challenging but not worth that price tag. As much as I want to continue with the series, I think I'll have to pass. Might consider it as a daily deal.

Linda_S_55
Minnow
Minnow
236 Posts

[Post New]by Linda_S_55 on Jun 2, 10 6:16 PM
Chill out hannah57. Not everyone knows everything nor has played every game.

NKXS
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
14 Posts

[Post New]by NKXS on Jun 3, 10 3:46 AM
Great thanks mountfalcon for the info, I think based on this I won't be purchasing the game. I like to finish a game and getting an ending & wouldn't like waiting for more chapter/parts.

Martila
Minnow
Minnow
220 Posts

[Post New]by Martila on Jun 6, 10 5:24 PM
There is a misunderstanding here about an abrupt endig of the game. This is a classic adventure game series which is planned for 14 parts but as of today only 4 parts are ready. All episodes have a proper ending and all of them have an individual story. Only common is the main character who travels to different places and in each place he has different adventures.
This particular game comprises two episodes, both with their own plot and nice ending. The fourth episode is a long one (The Lost Sword of Toledo) and the fifth (not released yet) will be similarly long or even longer. (The Tale of the Four Dragons).

The lengths depends, if you don't use a walkthrough Lapland may take 3-4 hours and Madagascar 4-6 hours. Depends on how quickly you solve puzzles. With a walkthrough it is of course less.

maggie1342
Starfish
Starfish
56 Posts

[Post New]by maggie1342 on Jun 6, 10 6:12 PM
After I won the game with the reindeer herder, the Professor gets on a train to Madagascar and the game goes back to London. Is that the end of this game? Is Madagascar another game that has to be bought, also?

Martila
Minnow
Minnow
220 Posts

[Post New]by Martila on Jun 7, 10 3:08 AM
maggie1342 wrote:After I won the game with the reindeer herder, the Professor gets on a train to Madagascar and the game goes back to London. Is that the end of this game? Is Madagascar another game that has to be bought, also?

Probably you are viewing the table with the letters and postcards. This is the desk of the Professor's wife (who is remembering her husband's journeys much later. ) If you open the letters and then exit the view the Madagascar scene will start.
The game contains both episodes in full.

Hope this will help

maggie1342
Starfish
Starfish
56 Posts

[Post New]by maggie1342 on Jun 7, 10 7:38 AM
Thank you, Martila, I went back and got to Madagascar. I thought the game was over and I was a little mad that it ended so soon. Thanks, again.

[Post New]by CaymanTurtle on Jun 9, 10 12:22 PM
So this part has two locations to search instead of one like The London Scene? I know each chapter can be played without having played the previous parts but the point is the professor is trying to find all the pieces of that black statue in the first chapter, right? I was miffed after the London scene ended, but I guess this one will be a little longer since it has two locations to search through. It was my fear that he would leave Lapland for Madagascar and that would be the end - that Madagascar was the next chapter to be bought. Might be worth a try since the game is challenging.

Martila
Minnow
Minnow
220 Posts

[Post New]by Martila on Jun 9, 10 3:57 PM
CaymanTurtle,
This is the 2nd and the 3rd episodes and both are longer than the London scene. That first episode in London gave the initial picture of the Professor's mission. The beginnings: how he got involved in this mission and how he started his long journey. That's where he found the black statue and indeed, he must collect pieces of that puzzle, in different places. One in each episode.
The subsequent parts are his adventures at the places he travels to. Lapland is at least twice as long as the London part and Madagascar is even longer. There are multiple locations and several puzzles in both. You can also play old, authentic board games in each subsequent episode at the end.
This particular title contains both parts 2 and 3.
(There's one further episode published so far, The Lost Sword of Toledo. That is an absolutely full-length adventure game, just like the 5th will be.)

Edited on 06/09/2010 at 3:58:59 PM PST

[Post New]by CaymanTurtle on Jun 11, 10 2:53 AM
Thanks Martila! I did purchase the game yesterday and I have to say I am pleased with it. I haven't used any walkthrough help yet and it is definetely worth the challenge. It is much longer than the London Scene as you said and I am pleased with the purchase. I enjoy this type of game and even though it isn't the end of the adventure, I would reccommend the game to others. You won't be disappointed.

boptab
Guppy
Guppy
164 Posts

[Post New]by boptab on Nov 6, 10 7:09 AM
CaymanTurtle wrote:Fourteen parts?!!?? So I am expected to pay close to $100 to be able to finish the entire game series? The game play is challenging but not worth that price tag. As much as I want to continue with the series, I think I'll have to pass. Might consider it as a daily deal.

Wow, Thats rediculous(sic). The chapters for this game should be offered at 2.99 each. Maybe if we send BF a note they will consider it, or they could make it the weekly special. Worth a try.

Branes
Squid
Squid
63 Posts

[Post New]by Branes on Apr 3, 12 9:56 PM
The "chapters" in this game series are full length games in their own right so they shouldn't cost only $2.99. Just because it is a 14 part story doesn't mean each part is cheap. Frankly, $6.99 for a game of this quality is a steal. Games like Syberia, Syberia 2, Return to Mysterious Island, Niburu, retailed for upwards of $29.00 when they were released. Being able to purchase them for $6.99 is amazing.
And the AGon series, although not as well made as Syberia, is still very good for the cheap price. It's just a shame they don't have The Longest Journey and Dreamfall available here.
Fortunately, I have them both already, but for adventure gamers, those are the best in my opinion.

Go to: