bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Deep Blue Sea 2

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Jun 4, 10 12:05 AM
Dive in to Deep Blue Sea 2 and discover the secrets of Avalonia, an underwater world that needs your help to be fully restored. Along your way, you'll meet a collection of colorful characters and assemble a crew to help you in your fast-paced and fun Match 3 quest. Collect powerful upgrades and awesome powerups as you make your way through an engaging storyline in Deep Blue Sea 2: The Amulet of Light.

Cherubabies
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,247 Posts

Re:Deep Blue Sea 2

[Post New]by Cherubabies on Jun 4, 10 12:37 AM
This is a nice little game that doesn't use much brain-power! Very cute little sea characters too! What a great idea getting them to "smile" when you move your cursor over them ... more games should have this idea!

Edited on 06/04/2010 at 1:27:02 AM PST

patnsky
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,415 Posts

[Post New]by patnsky on Jun 4, 10 12:58 AM
I played about 40 minutes of the demo and quit. I think the idea of having a story to go along with the M3 is a nice concept. I would have liked to been able to play with the system cursor instead of the game cursor. I do with more developers would give us that choice in Optionsl. Using the game cursor seemed to make the game drag at times. Over all, I felt the whole game dragged at times. I have several M3 games and do like them but I do not think this one is interesting enough for me to add to my collection. I do not think Deep Blue is a bad game ,,, just not a game for me; I know there will be those that will truly enjoy Deep Blue and to them I say... great and have a wonderful time.

Thanks BF for giving us such a nice variety of games to choose from.

Pat

Edited on 06/13/2010 at 12:57:10 AM PST

lmf40
Clownfish
Clownfish
666 Posts

[Post New]by lmf40 on Jun 4, 10 1:06 AM
I would love to play it but am getting an access violation error.

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Jun 4, 10 1:07 AM
I like it! It's some refreshment after the super-mini-tiny objects given recently in the HOG games.

I still wait for the Salem Witches - Picman???!!!

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on Jun 4, 10 1:57 AM
This is a nice M3 with a HOG scene that is revisited or that you can choose to revisit. The HOG scene is the only one I saw in the Demo but it scrolls and the objects and lists change.

I also like the smiles and frowns on the sea life. There is an option for Relaxed which is what I played. You can purchase powerups but I never needed one in the Demo.

I don't understand why the Treasure Chest fills up but it's not a problem. Also, when Dodge joins you you get the ability to spin the board (I think) but I never did figure out how you do that (and didn't need it). It would have been fun to try.

I can't recall an M3 that I didn't like and this is no exception. It is easy play during the first hour but might get harder as you go along especially if you are beating a Timer. The graphics are colorful and the music pleasant. It is a good game but I did not buy it. I have played many M3s and this one is as good as most. It just didn't have the extra "whatever" that made me want to buy.

TerryMann
Shark
Shark
10,717 Posts

[Post New]by TerryMann on Jun 4, 10 2:06 AM
I enjoyed the first Deep Blue Sea and I am satisfied with the 2nd one, I thought the graphics and the music was nice. In this game you will have two game modes which is great for the fishies that don't like the timer, story mode and relax mode. I noticed even in story mode, I had much time to spare. I was pleased with the upgrades and the power-ups, I even liked the hidden object levels, though you can skip them if you would like, as well as the story. To you all that are enjoying this great M3 game, you all have a good time....to the fishies that didn't I am sure a great HOG/IHOG will come along soon, crossing my fins for you all. Happy Gaming

romany09
Guppy
Guppy
156 Posts

[Post New]by romany09 on Jun 4, 10 5:57 AM
Thanks, TerryMann...good review. I'm a HOG fan but my second love is M3. I'm enjoying the game (untimed) and will buy it!

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

[Post New]by Howatch on Jun 4, 10 7:11 AM
I really enjoyed the first game while playing in timed mode; I would have gotten bored if I had played the game in relaxed mode, I think.

If the second game works the same way as the first one, the treasure chest fills up because it can only hold a limited amount, and as you progress through the game you are able to upgrade your treasure chest until it holds a maximum capacity.

I'm downloading the game now. And in case anyone is wondering, I read elsewhere that the game has 200 levels.

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

[Post New]by Howatch on Jun 4, 10 5:24 PM
jddrn wrote:Is the game challenging? The last match 3 game I bought was not hard enough and I was disappointed that I had bought it. I do like to play timed and I like it to be challenging- not impossible,though.

I feel the same way. I'm on level 30 now in Deep Blue Sea 2, so I don't feel that I am far enough along to say whether the game really becomes challenging or not. So far, it hasn't been all that difficult.

SublimeOne
Clownfish
Clownfish
795 Posts

[Post New]by SublimeOne on Jun 5, 10 12:40 PM
The first Deep Blue Sea got really challenging near the end. I always play on timed mode and found I had to replay some levels a few times to get the right combination of powerups to win certain levels.

Bribling: The treasure chest fills up because it's not all about the treasure. Each fish represents certain things. Some represent powerups, others treasure. What you choose to match can make a difference, especially in later levels. However, as you progress you are given the option to purchase larger treasure chests - which you should absolutely do!

As for spinning the board - there are 2 arrows at the top of the screen on each side of the gameplay board. Click on one turns the board clockwise, click on the other and it turns counter-clockwise. You will definitely need this as the game progresses because objects can only leave the board in certain places. It's all about positioning and moving the objects to where they can leave the board.

Another factor here is that each character has different abilities. Some use more oxygen, others find more treasure. This stuff matters as you progress through the game. And it's a really interesting addition to a standard genre.

I really enjoyed the first DBS and I'm thoroughly enjoying this one. I love the continuation of the storyline and the addition of a hidden object scene you can go to anytime you like. Especially since the objects move and change each time.

kazer
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
1 Posts

[Post New]by kazer on Jun 6, 10 7:52 AM
lmf40 wrote:I would love to play it but am getting an access violation error.

I'm having the same problem the first time I downloaded the demo I just got a black screen for 6 minutes. Uninstalled and tried 2 days later just to get to the first dive before I got the violation error. Loved the first edition, so bought the game would be great to be able to at least try the second edition!!

Edited on 06/06/2010 at 7:55:28 AM PST

SublimeOne
Clownfish
Clownfish
795 Posts

[Post New]by SublimeOne on Jun 6, 10 8:18 PM
You should definitely contact CS about this. They will either fix it or give you a credit to buy another game.

Either way, it's worth doing.

Hope you can play it - it's an awesome game! There are a ton of great surprises as you play through. I'm at around level 60 and all kinds of neat things are showing up.

Mamalita
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by Mamalita on Aug 3, 10 9:35 PM
I've just finished the game plus the bonus levels with all gold medals in the timed mode. I enjoyed the story and the game play a lot. I used the Naval Museum to accumulate power-ups. I found the simpler power-ups to be the best. The only more expensive power-up I found really useful was the freeze control that lasted for the entire dive. That freezing hazard was rather nasty as all of the tiles with frost had to be gotten rid of promptly or it sread.

I really enjoyed the game. It has taken me several days to complete the game.

Go to: