ecblisa
Stingray
Stingray
5,078 Posts

Some hints for this game (no spoilers)

[Post New]by ecblisa on Jun 4, 10 1:58 PM
I've played this game both timed an untimed, but have not finished it in either version, so you are getting some ideas I had while doing that.

1. Divers: I think there is an advantage to getting each diver as experienced as you can. By that, I mean don't stick with the one whose picture you like, instead use each diver until you get the "level up" message, then rotate to the next diver. The more experienced the diver, the more "free" power-ups you get (ones that are earned through matches, not bought in the store).

2. The most significant power-ups are bigger treasure chests and bigger tool belts, and they are expensive, so don't go on a shopping spree early on when you really don't need serious power-ups yet. Save money until the tool chest and belt upgrades become available. The bigger treasure chest allows you to accumulate more treasure per round, and the bigger tool belt allows you to carry more than one tool at a time.

3. Just about the hardenst thing in this game is to get an amulet all the way off the board, so having a tool that allows you to get rid of the last blocking item or two is critical.

4. I don't play timed much, but when I did, I found that the extra oxygen comes in very small quantities.

biomix
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,854 Posts

Re:Some hints for this game (no spoilers)

[Post New]by biomix on Jun 4, 10 2:36 PM
Thank you ecblisa. Excellent tips. Have been buying too many power ups early in the game.

ecblisa
Stingray
Stingray
5,078 Posts

[Post New]by ecblisa on Jun 5, 10 4:08 PM
Another helpful hint: You can go back to the museum any time between rounds (click on it from the map). The HOG scene is a little repetitious, but not too bad, and you win excellent freebies for finishing it. This way, you can save your treasure for the important stuff. It took me a while to realize the museum option doesn't just pop up, you have to choose it.

Also, see the experience level of each diver at the end of each round. The gold progress bar shows how close your diver is to the next level. By paying attention to these levels, you can balance your divers.

SublimeOne
Clownfish
Clownfish
795 Posts

[Post New]by SublimeOne on Jun 6, 10 8:23 PM
There is more than one HOG scene but it doesn't open up until you get a ways into the game. Since there are 200 levels (or so I heard) it would make sense for them to hold some things back for later.

Another tip is to pay attention to the type of fish you will be matching. Not every level has matching for every color.

For instance, you need blue to match for oxygen. But if the level has no blue fish, then having a diver with an oxygen special ability does you very little good. The fish colors are listed at the beginning of every level and you can change divers and equipment from there before beginning the level.

One more thing. You don't have to get every amulet to complete a level. There are 4 stages for each level - completed, bronze, silver and gold. Getting all the amulets is gold and adds treasure and experience points.

But it's nice that you can continue on with the game if you hit a really nasty level and can't get gold. You can still keep playing without getting stuck. It's a really clever way of doing this, IMO.

ecblisa
Stingray
Stingray
5,078 Posts

[Post New]by ecblisa on Jun 9, 10 1:09 PM
Some more hints for untimed only:

1. So far (I'm around level 160), there are three places to go for freebies. You can ask to play the HOG game, and then cancel if you don't need the particular power-up, and try another site. At this point, with the big, big treasure trunk, I have more than enough treasure to buy anything I need.

2. If you play untimed, the higher levels are strategy games that can benefit a lot from the cheapest powerups (move one space, delete one token). I've found that this game is a great economics lesson, because you can buy many cheap practical assists or a few expensive assistst that you can use only once and that's it.

3. The rotation powes seems to come with time, not with moves or score. So, if you play untimed, you can play a little bit slowly and just wait to rotate. Be careful. Since you can only rotate one quarter turn at a time, mistakes are costly (I know, I've made some, like not noticing a block or thinking I was one row further than I actually was). The upside is that you can "wait" by recharging the diver's powers in an area that doesn't disturb the artifacts.

TOOL BELT

[Post New]by marilynjnorman on Jul 21, 10 3:58 AM
OKAY, I'M OLD (72) AND PERHAPS A BIT THICK, BUT I CAN'T GET TOOLS INTO MY TOOL BELT! ONLY THE TOP SLOT WILL FILL UP WITH WHATEVER I CLICK ON. THIS ONLY GIVES ME THAT ONE AID TO PLAY WITH! YIKES!

HOW DO YOU LOAD UP THE TOOL BELT? HELP!

AND I LIVE NEAR THE SEA! GO FIGURE!

CHEERS . . .

SEASIDE GRANNY
PORT MACDONNELL SOUTH AUSTRALIA

Mamalita
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by Mamalita on Aug 3, 10 9:23 PM
As you progress in the game, the larger tool belts are sold in the first equipment shop. You have to pay for each upgrade. I just finished the entire game on timed with all gold medals the first time through and all of the bonus levels. It wasn't clear at the beginning that the tool belts would have to be purchased but I should have known better from Deep Blue Sea 1.

[Post New]by Okiefish on Sep 8, 10 8:58 PM
You keep referring to the HOG scene. What is this?

LuckyLin1
Starfish
Starfish
57 Posts

[Post New]by LuckyLin1 on Jul 6, 12 3:29 AM
It means Hidden Object Scene. Enjoy the game!

Go to: