bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Your Comments and Review for Mysterious Travel - The Magic Diary

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Jun 5, 10 1:50 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Mysterious Travel - The Magic Diary? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

bfgFlounder

Sarwyn
Starfish
Starfish
50 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Review for Mysterious Travel - The Magic Diary

[Post New]by Sarwyn on Jun 5, 10 2:30 AM
To me this game was really boring. The hidden objects scenes were too easy and there was not enough story. Also, the story was not very exciting. So this is a game I am not going to buy.

88blyth
Catfish
Catfish
1,705 Posts

[Post New]by 88blyth on Jun 5, 10 2:53 AM
hello fishies....i enjoyed the demo, just an "easy-ish" hidden objest game, but thats what i like..i would like to know how long this game is, then i will decide if i will buy it or not...will also wait for more comments
love theresa

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Jun 5, 10 3:07 AM
Lovely and intriguing plot, nice graphics...but it's a Straight HOG, with one or two plain interactions in the screen. After some playing, I felt bored, and left.

Straight HOGers may like it, but the "spoiled" BF players by MCF, RTR, and EA Poe can't accept it.

LilyCat
Minnow
Minnow
220 Posts

[Post New]by LilyCat on Jun 5, 10 3:19 AM
I agree, a few nice touches like the invisible people (I particularly liked the one eating a banana and throwing the peel in the bin!). Sparkly hints are just right to point up where there's something to do, without giving everything away, but to be honest there's never much question about what you do next as objects you find can always be used immediately.

I like the plot, but there isn't quite the air of menace there might have been. This mysterious person who set up the free holiday for you, and is threatening you if you don't solve whatever the puzzle might be, just doesn't come over as scary.

Played the demo, and I might buy if it comes round as a DD, but not gripped enough to buy today.

[Post New]by NCPantherEyes on Jun 5, 10 4:12 AM
Not an involved game whatsoever. For someone just starting out playing HOG this one would be a good break in game. For something involved, nope.

Gieyo
Clownfish
Clownfish
766 Posts

[Post New]by Gieyo on Jun 5, 10 5:20 AM
Agree with the above and would like to emphasize it is easy Not only the HOG part but also the minigames) so it is great for beginners or those who want to unwind with an easy play. I am with LilyCat in her comment about the invisible people animation: They were a nice touch.

WOuld like to point out the minigames include several spot the difference (some with variations as adding the item instead of substracting), but there are other minigames as make matches or sudoku style puzzles. I appreciate at least the developers tried to offer som range.

The story had a good beginning but after 1 hour play I was frankly not too sure where it was all leading too (and I didn't seem to care much). Julia (main character) is (highlight for spoiler) threatened to stay in this world if she is does not follow orders: But with the nice surroundings, lovely animals and un-annoying invisible neghbours that actually seems more like hitting the jackpot to me!

The graph quality was good, I thought the art was lovely the objects were well drawn and as far as I experienced well named.
Music repetitive but unsubstantial.

So despite I don't think I will spend a precious credit on it (at least not now), I enjoyed playing the demo.
Happy gaming!

tv9725
Lobster
Lobster
85 Posts

[Post New]by tv9725 on Jun 5, 10 5:46 AM
premise could be interesting but it isnt in this game
plus they just did a win the cruise game a couple weeks ago
and that one was done better so my expectations were kinda high
but after 30 min in the demo dont think im going to continue

if you like easy non involved games then go for it
but if your looking for a challenge then this probably isnt a good game for you

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Jun 5, 10 6:34 AM
All it took for me seeing who the dev is when demo opened was to think oh goodie! we're in for another fun treat. They have some pretty funny writers and animators and among my fav games (and all top 10 hits) Don't know if I'm allowed to say dev but does Steve Sheriff 1,2, Hidden Wonders of the Depths, Sarah Maribou ring a bell? On the serious quality end Puppet Show1 and 2?? Dark Tales EA Poe? So it was certainly a draw to me to try an hour altho I'm not in the market now for another hog. And not one of their games has been too short, just good variety and quality that's all. OK maybe Puppet1 was short, but I just bought Puppet2CE.

Has anybody played beyond an hour, or just not looking for humor? I can't see that these devs would throw out a dog and spoil their reputation for fun games. Yeh, they are a little off the edge, different, that's what I like, variety. Some objects really are a challenge, like the 10 keys. At a glance some thought this has sudoku, which I hate. And someone can't click on the number 7. Well hey, it is already circled for you, you just found it finding and opening that "puzzle" LOL. Too simple for you or a glitch? Come on people, it's a joke. However, it does say to keep those numbers in mind, like the next one that opened. So who knows what is ahead cuz these guys are crazy silly. Even had to spell out What's Going ON?? for you. Who knows unless you play it.

Don't mean to be contrary, but it bounced out at us so fast, no walkthrough yet to judge length, or preview on other site I check, so I may eat crow later. I'll probably use one of my punch codes for it just to see where it goes. But for sure, it will be quality like all their other games and hopefully different and silly as heck.

I guess I'm not among the "spoiled" after playing all the MCFs, EA Poe and Puppetshow. I still admire talent and quality, most of all humor which is getting pretty hard to find even in games. and I didn't find much funny in the first PuppetShow but don't know why this would be much different than Steve Sheriff2 for lightening up.

My comments only, can't review it til I play it to the end. Maybe they need disclaimers on opening like "Please don't take this game seriously, we're just having fun here doodling between heavy projects and hope you are too." OK maybe I'm just a groupie now, but no, not a straight HOG player nor spoiled. Just curious.

bbelle
Clownfish
Clownfish
795 Posts

[Post New]by bbelle on Jun 5, 10 6:47 AM
I agree, puzzledone. I kind of liked this game. It is not mind boggling nor intricate. It is just a relaxing hog and I am using one of my coupons to get it. I will play it when I need to relax as I do with Tropical Dream: Underwater Odyssey. I enjoy games that you can play and take it easy. IMO it is at least worth a try.

popookaka
Guppy
Guppy
110 Posts

[Post New]by popookaka on Jun 5, 10 6:57 AM
hi fishies,
ditto on all of the above with an extra big thumbs down on the graphics. not a game for me,i almost feel asleep palying this game. guess i can't use my free game credit today. :

bailey8877
Guppy
Guppy
122 Posts

[Post New]by bailey8877 on Jun 5, 10 7:06 AM
I couldn't stand this game! I played for maybe 10 mins. and erased it. If your an experienced gamer, don't even bother with the download.

[Post New]by briteredlips on Jun 5, 10 7:08 AM
I would say this is a quaint little game. Graphics are not real clear, but easy on the eyes. Small amount of interaction. Someone looking for a hidden object game that is not too difficult but still entertaining, will enjoy this game. While not for me, I am sure many will like this game.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Jun 5, 10 7:09 AM
Oh good bbelle I don't feel like a freak then, thought maybe I had gone too far round the bend. The minority among us can start our own I love silly games and proud of it clique LOL. I'm probably one of the few who did find all the cigars in SSheriff2 and got to read all the pop ups on the collection, at the end, the funniest part. Not fond of those balloon type hints but if Steve used them, ok by me. That dialogue with wifey and kid, running gags bored others too. Case of the Missing Thing title was fair warning what type of humor was to come. Hope SS3 she is the main detective a la Jessica in Murder She Wrote. He's such a dope.

Actually I thought this may be the promised release sequel to Mystic Diary Lost Brother, I'm in a minority there too for liking it. Wasn't funny but fun to play when it first came out. I've only 3 or 4 games that give me grins or giggles, it wasn't one of them but why I opened this game to begin with to see if a sequel.

bbelle
Clownfish
Clownfish
795 Posts

[Post New]by bbelle on Jun 5, 10 7:37 AM
Yes, let's start one. I enjoyed SSheriff 2 also. There have been a lot of games I liked that others were really down on. I like games that let you relax and get a few laughs such as Vampireville and Coyote's Tale: Fire and Water. Keep on with the good reviews and opinions.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Jun 5, 10 8:26 AM
OT again, but thx for the tip, haven't done Coyote, loved Vampireville too, and don't miss out on Mishap An Accidental Haunting or Robinson Crusoe2. Any more funnies? Not sure how many games qualify for us to be "experienced players" so I guess if we accept this one we got a long way to go huh

I'll just speak for myself, thank you. When I'm bored or fall asleep either I've ODd on games or so endorphine depleted I need a game to keep my sense of humor..

OK then, anybody else actually play this game?

Teach496
Guppy
Guppy
109 Posts

[Post New]by Teach496 on Jun 5, 10 9:04 AM
I did buy this with a credit. Although not very challenging as others have said, sometimes I just like an easy, mindless HOG to veg out on!!

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Jun 5, 10 9:06 AM
I was very surprised about the low quality from this game because its from the same developers how made Puppetshow 1 & 2 or Steve the Sheriff (Puppetshow is my favourite ihog by the way!). I have looked on the "credits" and I think I found the solution (surely I can be wrong): The game is made in 2008! Maybe they thought in 2008 that the game has to low quality, put it in a drawer and closed it and found it now to make a few moneys with it, how knows. The storyline from the game is really doesn`t exciting by the fact and very boring, the graphic is okay, but nothing special, item searching is very boring. I won`t buy it and hope that this is only a individual case and that the next ersg game is much, much better because I loved all previous games from the developer.

Edited on 06/05/2010 at 9:07:19 AM PST

[Post New]by satexasgirl on Jun 5, 10 9:44 AM
I didn't like the game at all. I played the whole demo in order to give it a more accurate review. The graphics are of poor quality. There were multiple times where after not being able to find an object I used a hint & I thought "that's a mouse?!" or whatever the object was supposed to be. The story line is poorly developed and could be more intriguing. At first I found the invisible characters amusing, they became annoying after awhile. The hint system recharges quickly, though. I didn't really pay attention to the music so I can't really comment other than it must have been okay. When I play games I like to leave the music on a low volume. It didn't annoy me so that's good. I was surprised when someone else posted that the developers of this game had also developed some of my favorite games. I would not have thought it given, in my opinion, the extremely poor quality of this game. .

Edited on 06/05/2010 at 9:46:07 AM PST

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Jun 5, 10 10:05 AM
I guess it proves that at least in this developers case, paying $20 for a CE does not ensure they provide higher quality games.

Go to: