bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Explorer: Contraband Mystery

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Jun 6, 10 12:05 AM
You are a researcher for the award-winning National Geographic Explorer series. While on assignment with Zara and PJ, your trusty reporter and cameraman, you uncover a clue that leads to a global smuggling operation. Who are the ringleaders, and where are they based? Use your journalistic instincts to expose the black market network through an exciting series of minigames in Explorer: Contraband Mystery, a fun Hidden Object Puzzle Adventure game!

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

Re:Explorer: Contraband Mystery

[Post New]by Poutoule on Jun 6, 10 12:13 AM
Downloading it. Will let you know......

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Jun 6, 10 12:50 AM
The worst Nat Geo game that I tried: super-mini-objects, distorted, blended to the background. 95% using the hints!

I already wrote the company, because I like Nat Geo games, but can't buy the kind they offer recently.

BF, where are you hit???

mommykim
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
14 Posts

Boring

[Post New]by mommykim on Jun 6, 10 12:54 AM
Items are too small and that annoying red x when you miss click that never goes away and it would not play full screen.

JoyWales
Clownfish
Clownfish
728 Posts

[Post New]by JoyWales on Jun 6, 10 1:08 AM
played for 5 mins then gave up. Keep hoping that each new NG game will be better but not so far. I decline to play any game peering at the screen and using hints all the time. that is not pleasure or relaxation - it is stressful and will make my eyesight get worse than it is now.

lucyloket
Guppy
Guppy
138 Posts

[Post New]by lucyloket on Jun 6, 10 1:09 AM
Errmm, unable to comment as the game just won't play.
Downloaded, tried to start it and just got a black screen (and my 60 mins was still counting down!) Had to power off my system to get it to shut down and go away!
From the other reviews tho' maybe I'm not missing a lot?

LilyCat
Minnow
Minnow
220 Posts

[Post New]by LilyCat on Jun 6, 10 1:15 AM
Given the comments of other fishies, and recent experience of NG games, I'm not even going to bother downloading this one.

belamba
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,058 Posts

[Post New]by belamba on Jun 6, 10 1:26 AM
I quite like the game because there is more to it than just a straight HOG, BUT does anyone know how long it is please? If there are only 3 missions (can only see 3 at the moment), then it's not worth buying.
I got through 1 1/2 missions in the trial hour.
Thanks

_DD_
Flounder
Flounder
2,115 Posts

[Post New]by _DD_ on Jun 6, 10 1:38 AM
Game runs w/o problems on Windows XP Home Edition SP 3.
I got the impression username must be more than 2 letters, w/o telling.

Items fitting with the theme, some indeed dark on dark. Had to use the hint only a few times, mostly on the last of FTD, but my monitor is set to very light/bright. Actually I found the red X's for items I clicked on helpful. At least it doesn't happen that a hint shows me something finally I thought I had clicked on already.

Hint refill OK, starts with one, find 3 more in each scene, no problem; and they don't carry over. Also: find gems, only for points it seems. Combo pts awarded for finding multiple items in a row.
Cursor off: yes, Timer off: yes; BUT: In Spot the diff cursor seems to be back, and was promptly 'dragging' AND: a recurring level with timer nonetheless!
The usual facts and quiz about them afterwards, but they're all in your journal which can be opened during the quiz.
3 missions, finished the first and 12/37 games in 40 min's, so probably not a long game.

edited for typo

Edited on 06/06/2010 at 1:41:07 AM PST

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on Jun 6, 10 1:52 AM
I always cringe when I see Nat'l Geo or History Channel games. The teeny, tiny objects always cause me to say "NO". I am DL'ing anyway. I always try them because they sound interesting but from what others have said, I doubt I will buy. If I do buy it, I will come back with more to say.

BTW, I just do NOT like Spot the Diff which is another stopper for these games. The biggest problem with those in these games is my inability to see much of anything. Waiting for Hints or running out of Hints and being penalized for random clicks are also a BIG stopper. Devs are you paying any attention at all?

I guess these games must sell well enough for the Devs to overlook the complaints about object sizes, Hints and random clicks.

TerryMann
Shark
Shark
10,717 Posts

[Post New]by TerryMann on Jun 6, 10 2:18 AM
The graphics were okay, sorry fishies again small objects. I played for a bit and un-installed it. I found the items really quick and not much of a challenge, for me anyway. For the fishies that enjoy this game, have a good time and for the other fishies still crossing my fins for you all. Terry

belamba
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,058 Posts

[Post New]by belamba on Jun 6, 10 2:43 AM
I won't buy if only 3 missions, as first one took no time at all to finish. I dislike the way you are given 90 seconds to complete a task, and on getting rid of the annoying large down arrow, a window pops up with 'facts' using up valuable time.
I also couldn't understand why on turning off the custom cursor it re-appears on spot the diff games!
So, although I liked the game it's not worth buying if so short.

mountfalcon
Lobster
Lobster
99 Posts

[Post New]by mountfalcon on Jun 6, 10 2:51 AM
This should be no surprise to anyone who has tried other games in the series - usual fairly attractive scenes with lots of small objects and matching tedium. As the series has been going for a while, there must be enough people buying them to make the exercise worthwhile, but I've no great desire to join them. Perhaps the educational element means that there's a subsidy around somewhere - I'd certainly want to subsided to encourage me to play these things.

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Jun 6, 10 3:27 AM
I liked the graphics and found the information interesting. I got onto the third case before the end of the demo, so it's not worth buying. I did find the cursor controls very difficult. Very sensitive - the times I thought I'd got it wrong when I hadn't.

yasure
Minnow
Minnow
217 Posts

Boring

[Post New]by yasure on Jun 6, 10 3:32 AM
mommykim wrote:Items are too small and that annoying red x when you miss click that never goes away and it would not play full screen.

I have to agree with you, but I kind of liked the red "X" only because I couldn't tell what the heck anything was (Bad eyes) and with the red "X" I never clicked on it twice.
Uninstalling it now.

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Jun 6, 10 3:49 AM
Played half the demo so far. Just when I'm totally fed up with waiting for the hint to recharge, in a scene that's too dark even with my monitor at 100% contrast and brightness, they go all native on me and I have to keep going to see what's next. So I'll likely play the rest of the demo later yet.

Pretty doubtful I'd pay regular club price for this one. Haven't decided yet if it would be a buy for me if at DD pricing sometime.

Update: I finished the game demo. A big thanks to the person in the forum who mentioned that you can click on the found batteries to recharge hints immediately - didn't have the opportunity to try it, but that's really good to know. Also to the person who mentioned the frustration with the 48 piece puzzle - I didn't skip it, but I did know to relax and expect it to take some patience.

When the game demo ended, I wasn't ready for it to. I guess because the 48 piece puzzle took up a fair bit of my demo time. I was finding the story interesting and enjoying the pics of the Africans.

This will go in my file of games to buy if they are offered as a DD.

Edited on 07/13/2010 at 7:58:38 AM PST

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Jun 6, 10 3:51 AM
You are working for National Geograhpic and your missions are to uncover various smuggling rings. Gorillas, Drugs and Diamonds. I chose the gorilla mission which is the only one I played.

The graphics are fair to middling, I dd not find the items too small but it was too easy to guess which items you needed by clicking those that stood out on the screen. The same items also repeated themselves in most of the screens,

There is choice of timer or not and I turned the timer off. However during one scene it stopped suddenly and said I found 14 out of 16 items, as if a timer had finished.

Mini games same old stuff. Spot difference, picture puzzles

The game is boring and uninspiring and did not feel I was part of any mission other than finishing hidden object search lists. As there are only 3 missions the game seems also on the short side.

This game is not my cuppa at all.

prchalpn
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,132 Posts

[Post New]by prchalpn on Jun 6, 10 3:56 AM
Didn't like this game at all. Uninstalled it after 15 minutes.

Bboo2
Guppy
Guppy
109 Posts

[Post New]by Bboo2 on Jun 6, 10 4:17 AM
I seems to have trouble with the downloading end of this game. The saving just keeps on spinning and spinning and never finishes.
After reading the comments here on the game itself, I just might be glad it does not finish installing for me. Will wait to see what happens with this game.

OLDBAY
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by OLDBAY on Jun 6, 10 4:50 AM
NG games so boring to begin with , Not even going to try it , But thanks everyone that had the guts to do it for me , I'll take your advise & skip , That makes 7 games in 7 days were all duds ,... " In my opinion " .

Go to: