DD Reviews and comments

cll1950
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,099 Posts

DD Reviews and comments

[Post New]by cll1950 on Jun 6, 10 12:53 AM
I did an exit after what I thought was at least a 1/2 hr, come to find out it was 17 min. Bad Dog is right. Straight very junky HOG. All items out of size, some duolicates but not the right one. The best way I found to play, as there was no pen. for clicking was to click everything untill you got down to the last 3 (you get) 3 dog bone hints) and then use them. No games, nothing to distract you from the terrible HOG seens and as far as I could tell, no story. As always with cheesy HOGS tiny, tiny items,
As I always say, try it for yourself. it might just be your cup of tea but I'm off to get it off my machine before it multiplies.

LilyCat
Minnow
Minnow
220 Posts

Re:DD Reviews and comments

[Post New]by LilyCat on Jun 6, 10 1:12 AM
I played the Story version, where there is a penalty for over-clicking. You lose a minute for what seems like not very many wrong guesses, which seems very unfair given the ambiguous nature of many of the objects in the junkpile, and the fact that the cursor is fairly picky.

Sorry, Mr Biscuits. You may be a very cute pooch, but even at $2.99 you're not for me.

gamergirl675
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,156 Posts

[Post New]by gamergirl675 on Jun 6, 10 2:19 AM
Review based on hour demo only ... because much more would induce a coma. Mr. Biscuits: The Case of the Ocean Pearl

First let me say that I really wanted to like this game... I really did. Mr. Biscuits is a cute little puglet and I'm a sucker for cute pooches.Unfortunatley the game creators let poor old poochie down with this one. Sadly, Mr. Biscuits suffered from an odd ailment that altered his size with each passing day... one day he would be teensy tiny and another day he would be overweight and pudgy even for a pug. Poor Mr. Biscuits!

The game takes place on a cruise ship and your quest is to help our poor size-shifting pug solve the murder of his lady owner. Apparently the ship is inhabited by an invisible stowaway who mysteriously sneaks into every room and deposits piles of objects which you must sort through to find clues to the murder. Once your search is over he kindly moves those same objects into your next room so you get to search through them all over again! Isn't that nice of him??

Perhaps there is something in the ocean air that infected Mr. Biscuits because these objects also randomly change size... one moment you're looking for a lipstick the size of a pin and the next that same lipstick has morphed into something Bigfoot might use. You also search for many duplicates such as "three darts" and for no apparent reason there will be five darts in the room with no clue as to which three you need.

I played story mode and the story was sadly predictable. You might want to turn off your speakers since the suspects all speak in annoying, headache inducing whiney voices. I played timed mode since oddly enough the two choices were "story mode" or "relaxed mode" so if you choose relaxed mode you miss the story. But timed is a relative thing... 10 minutes per room that require less than a minute to finish even with time penalties for misclicks. The worst part is there is no skip or hint function available for the most annoying part of the game... searching through a small blue crystal ball to find spirits who for no apparent reason seem to be haunting the ship.

I do feel sorry for poor Mr. Biscuits to be trapped in such a tedious and pathetic game... but not sorry enough to pay even the $2.99 daily deal price to see if he makes it out alive. Good luck Mr. Biscuits! I hope you are adopted by more creative game makers next time around.

[Post New]by GamePrincess on Jun 6, 10 2:56 AM
Thanks for the review and the laughs, Gamergirl. I was going to buy this on the DD since I don't usually try them before I buy, when they are DD's, I just look and see if it looks interesting. However, after reading what you and others have written, guess I'll pass on this. Thanks again for taking the time to write a review.

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Jun 6, 10 2:58 AM
Admittedly, yesterday's Agatha Christie DD is a tough act to follow. But this one is really not good. I lasted 40 minutes with this demo.

Mainly it's the hidden object scenes that are bad, and to some extent, the music. The objects in the scenes seem mostly miniature, and the picture quality is not good.

The music tends to make you feel rushed and impatient. There's a dusting for fingerprints scene that takes a fair bit of patience, and the music was a particular problem there.

The voices are amusing. The dog thing is sorta cute. I liked the story ok, as far as I got with it.

Slite
Minnow
Minnow
212 Posts

[Post New]by Slite on Jun 6, 10 5:22 AM
I sometimes like to just keep scanning a hidden object scene until I've found several items rather than just clicking on each one as I find it. This led to one of the most annoying parts of the game for me. If you don't click after a certain amount of time, a text box bounces onto the screen reminding you about the hints. That would be fine for the very first screen, but it will appear screen after screen. That alone would be enough for a quick delete.

Also, I agree it's unfortunate you can play either story mode timed or play without either a timer or story.

Avalon2
Squid
Squid
73 Posts

[Post New]by Avalon2 on Jun 6, 10 7:48 AM
Hilarious! All of you LOL. I logged into this forum to try to remember why I deleted this game after 10 minutes when it first came out.

Now I remember LOL

And the game devs didn't even bother to create a better version. Sheesh. I'll keep my $2.99 TYVM.

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Jun 6, 10 8:38 AM
Best review I've read by Gamergirl, I laughed out loud at your comments!! And needless to say, didn't bother downloading!

Noralg
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

[Post New]by Noralg on Jun 6, 10 8:47 AM
Graphics are fuzzy. Truly a junk pile HOG. The only redeeming factor is the choice to play timed or not. Even at $2.99 a waste of money.

Indy70
Squid
Squid
73 Posts

[Post New]by Indy70 on Jun 6, 10 8:49 AM
Once again I'm going to swim upstream, but I completed the demo and purchased the DD for $2.99. Yep, it's a plain ole hidden object game, yep, it's pretty simple and straight forward. Nope, it's not sophisticated like the IHOGS, MCFs, Puppet Show, and on and on, and I've played 'em all. But I did the Mr. Biscuits trial, had no problem finding objects, think the game is fun for $2.99 and bought it because sometimes that's exactly the kind of game I like. That's why BFG suits so many different people, young, not-so-young and all those in between with different likes and dislikes.

Doggy_lover
Herring
Herring
375 Posts

[Post New]by Doggy_lover on Jun 6, 10 11:03 AM
Aww, it's too bad that the game is no good.....we need more games with dogs in them! =) Thanks reviewers, I needed a laugh...and you saved me time.

Apadenska
Guppy
Guppy
163 Posts

[Post New]by Apadenska on Jun 6, 10 11:55 AM
Good Boy, Mr. Biscuits! I played the trial 15 minutes in relaxed mode and 20 minutes in story mode. I liked the story mode best because you could click on Mr. Biscuits and get bonus points...not that I needed the extra time. Sometimes the little guy was small, but that is because he does not want to get in the way. He is such a good boy always ready to share his biscuits if you need a hint. All the items looked the same so if you had to use a hint in one screen, the next screen you could find it more easily. Some items were hidden really well. Kudos for making me search! I think the talking characters in story mode are a hoot. The screen never frooze on me and I was able to find most items within 1 to 3 minutes. So I bought the game for $2.99 and am glad I did.

bachlein
Guppy
Guppy
151 Posts

[Post New]by bachlein on Jun 6, 10 12:39 PM
Thank heavens for the "try it" mode!!

phatkhat
Stingray
Stingray
5,001 Posts

[Post New]by phatkhat on Jun 6, 10 12:44 PM
Well, the story seems okay, and I enjoyed the voice acting - especially the snooty headwaiter, LOL. The music, though, is repetitive and pretty bad, IMHO.

I loved Mr. Biscuits, even if he was something of a shapeshifter, morphing his size all the time.

But all of that is not enough to overcome the poor graphics, teeny objects, and the penalty for clicking on the wrong thing - especially since a lot of stuff is pretty ambiguous. Bottle of perfume... clicked on what looked like a bottle of perfume. Nope. Finally used a clue. It was what is usually considered a fern mister!

I was just going to buy this untried, but decided to demo. Glad I did. I can toss in another 50 cents and buy Anka or La Jangada at the Steals & Deals.

Itsupikachu
Flounder
Flounder
2,158 Posts

[Post New]by Itsupikachu on Jun 6, 10 1:39 PM
Thanks for the great and creative review, gamergirl. It was a joy to read! I didn't care much for the game, either. Mr. Biscuits was the only interesting part of the game, poor thing!

sassybee
Guppy
Guppy
179 Posts

[Post New]by sassybee on Jun 6, 10 5:02 PM
GamerGirl, you were funny and wrote a terrific review. How about taking the position of "Review Mistress'? You would be great.

TerryMann
Shark
Shark
10,717 Posts

[Post New]by TerryMann on Jun 6, 10 11:36 PM
To: Indy I totally agree with your review which was a good one. Happy Gaming fishies !!!

Indy70
Squid
Squid
73 Posts

[Post New]by Indy70 on Jun 7, 10 12:30 PM
Thanks TerryMann - Happy gaming to you, also.

Svengoolie
Seahorse
Seahorse
28 Posts

[Post New]by Svengoolie on Jun 7, 10 4:37 PM
ahaha this game is comically bad. Everything about it sucks. The picture quality is terrible. The same garbage is littered about most of the rooms and where things are hidden have absolutely no rhyme or reason. Some things are tiny, some are huge, but all are ugly. The music is terrible and loops every 20 seconds.

The strangest parts are the "clues" you come up with after each level. Such and such is a smoker! What? How did the coins and suntan lotion I just picked up lead you to that? And EVERYONE has a gun in their room. Is that supposed to be a clue or just more cases of them throwing a million items that make no sense all over the place?

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Aug 11, 10 8:01 AM
i bought the $2.99 version of this game some time ago but only got round to play it today I WANT MY MONEY BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this is possibly the most asinine, boring game i have ever played

Go to: