Posts created by mostly_nameless

posted in Twisted Lands: Shadow Town Collector's Edition on Sep 24, 10 7:33 PM
Don't read any further if you haven't gotten to the end(?) of the game.

So, I launched the submersible and......

....nothing....

All I got was a blank screen and it said I completed the game.

Huh?

Was that really the end? The walkthrough looks like there was more.

If it was the end, what did I miss? Come to think of it, if it WASN'T the end, what did I miss?

I have to say I'm really disappointed in this as a CE when it just dumped me out at the end.

posted in Victorian Mysteries: Woman in White on Sep 17, 10 10:04 PM
Bought it at about 10:45 and was done by 12:45. So, with 30 -45 minutes of free trial and a couple of bathroom and annoying pet breaks it was well under 3 hours.

Not a great game. If I was grading, it's probably a C minus.

The HOG scenes ranged from blah to terrible. If I can't tell what I'm looking at, it's not easy to find it. Plus, the over-eager penalty for over-clicking is kind of a dumb idea when you are supposed to find things hidden inside other things with no sparkles or whatnot to figure out what to open or move. (There were less of those as time went on, which was kind of a downer. I like the hidden objects.)

But, the story was good. Short, but good.

Music was not memorable, so not good or bad.

My only real beef with the game was when it kept telling me there was "nothing to do" outdoors, but really I needed to go PAST there outdoors and get to the forest. That was pretty misleading.

I just finished the game for the second time and I didn't get the bonus game either.

I say "no" on starting over and I get nothing.

I'm bummed because the bonus novella is better than story #3.

Just finished and I should like this game better than I do.

First of all, I have to comment on the music. Music has to be very good (Briar Rose) or very bad to get my attention. I thought this music was excruciating and took my earphones out for big parts of the game. It sounded like some horrible carnival music.

Then, there were some kinks. Like, when you are supposed to get the chalk, only it didn't give me the chalk. I went back and played it two more times before I got chalk.

Also, there were many places where I tried what I thought I was supposed to do, but because this game is really finicky about placement, it said I was wrong. Then, I would consult the strategy guide and it would confirm what to do and I would go back and try it until it worked.

And, a couple of things were just devilishly weird. Like where the tiger box is. Not someplace one would ever look for a lockbox.

I found the bonus level to be a very short yawner.

On the other hand, I LOVED the chicken. That was priceless.

All in all, an okay game, but not a favorite.

posted in Nightmare Adventures: The Witch's Prison on Sep 6, 10 7:33 PM
Awesome game!

Windows 7 laptop with an ATI Radeon video card and no freezes or cursor problems.

There were a couple of places where I felt a little lost and got hints, but the hints were usually spot on without giving away all the surprises.

Bring on more like this one!!!

posted in Drawn: Dark Flight ® Collector's Edition on Sep 2, 10 8:34 PM
I really like the first one, so this one was a sure-bet for me (so long as it launched and all, which it did).

But, it didn't seem to have a lot of logical flow to it. A lot of times, without hints, I would have no idea what I was supposed to do.

And, story wise, were the pictures we "played in" all supposed to be Iris's pictures, or are all pictures in the kingdom magical now?

And some of the puzzles were more tedious than difficult. I especially hated one of the coloring puzzles and skipped it. Of course, now that the game is over and I'm bored again, I wish I could go back and play with it.

For a collectors edition, it would be nice if we could go back and replay the puzzles.

I liked the theme of the bonus play, but thought the bonus puzzle was kind of a dud. All in all, it was a pretty good game but wasn't as great as I had hoped.

posted in Haunted Hotel: Lonely Dream on Aug 29, 10 6:46 PM
I had the access violation starting in the game manager, but the game played okay by starting from outside the game manager.

In the security room, if you ignore that it keeps asking for the fuse after you've replaced it and get the camera to show you where Saver is, eventually, it will let you enter the code to get the door to open. That part was kind of confusing. I had to go out and do something to the door and that wasn't good enough. Then, I had to go back and enter a code to where Saver is to let the security system know where I wanted to go. It kept saying it didn't want room numbers, but I think it did.

Anyway, you can get out of there. It just doesn't work quite the way you would think it is supposed to.

posted in Lost in the City: Post Scriptum on Aug 29, 10 1:34 AM
Loved it. Great game.

I can't say if it was as good as the original because I played the original so long ago. But, it was really good.

Bonus points for the magnifying glass and for giving the kitty an important role in the story.

The only places I had trouble were the fire extinguisher (I think there should be a game update to fix that) and the first color match game (didn't match the walkthrough and my monitor said I had it right a dozen times before the game agreed).

posted in Lost in the City: Post Scriptum on Aug 29, 10 1:23 AM
Thanks!

I was stuck on that too!

posted in Robin's Quest: A Legend Born on Aug 21, 10 10:59 PM
I'm glad to hear I'm not crazy. There was nothing to shoot at in the "free for all" competition when I played either.

But, I didn't play it until after I had won all the others.

I thought it was there so we could keep winning money, but I guess not.

I try not to buy very many Collector's Editions because I think they're overpriced. (I think a premium game price of $12.99 or $14.99 would be fair.)

That said, I think this was a great game. There were a few points in it where I had to use the Strategy Guide because it seemed like there were a couple of logic leaps in there. (A shovel in a window?) And there were some pretty weird requirements in that first novella.

But, it was fun! And, the bonus game was nice and long.

I call this one a winner!

posted in Shaolin Mystery: Tale of the Jade Dragon Staff on Aug 13, 10 10:55 PM
This was a pretty good game. But some of the objects to find made me laugh. I still don't know what a "calabash" or a "dump" are, even after I found them.

Still, good length, good story, fairly good graphics. Only a few objects were tiny. Music wasn't so hot, but it wasn't intrusive either. Not so hard to make me crazy, but not so easy I got bored.

Just a nice little game.

posted in Secrets of the Dragon Wheel on Aug 10, 10 7:12 PM
Way too much talking, not nearly enough playing.

I think I'll pass.

posted in Redrum: Time Lies on Aug 8, 10 7:42 PM
First off, let me say I like spooky games, so it isn't the "spooky" I object to. But, I didn't like this game.

I didn't like the way the viewpoint changes from one character to another. (Or what subsequently makes this necessary.)

I didn't like that the lead character (which ever one that was) was doing things that were clearly dumb.

I hated the background noise. (No, I won't call that "music".)

I got really tired of all of the time consuming, but dull, jigsaws and slider picture puzzles. (Especially because some of the jigsaws just didn't want to go together for some reason, even when they were clearly the right pieces.)

And I HATE, HATE, HATED, violently HATED the non-ending.

This is one of the few games I've played to the end and wished I could get my money back. (Well, my punch card credit back in this case.)

And, something gave me a first class migraine yesterday. I don't know if it was the flashing in this game, or the Italian I had for dinner.

Two thumbs way down on this one.

posted in Elixir of Immortality on Jul 19, 10 8:22 PM
Awesome game!

I got a little confused with the end (it seemed like my tasks were out of order and you can't do the "first" one without doing the second before it) and a few hidden items here and there don't look exactly like what I think they should, but it was a really great game with a great story.

I especially liked how the stuff we were hunting for was actually useful in the game.

posted in Hidden Mysteries: Vampire Secrets on Jul 18, 10 2:28 AM
Just finished and my overwhelming impression is....

....IT ENDED THERE????!!!

Seriously? It made it seem like I only got half a game.

Other than that, it was pretty good. (Except, it wouldn't start from the Game Manager, which doesn't seem to be abnormal these days.)

posted in Hidden Mysteries: Vampire Secrets on Jul 18, 10 2:24 AM
weird double post....sorry.

posted in Blood Oath on Jul 11, 10 9:07 PM
Never mind. I found it.

That was sneaky.

posted in Blood Oath on Jul 11, 10 9:02 PM
I got all the cards on level 2 and all on level 3, but didn't see any on level 4.

Where did I miss the last card?

Other than that, it was a fascinating game.

posted in Skymist - The Lost Spirit Stones on Jul 5, 10 7:56 PM
Downloaded okay, including the openal, but it's not full-screen and is too small to play.

What's up with this lately?

I bought a nicer new computer (full HD screen/ATI Radeon graphics card) to play games and it seems like a bunch of these newer games won't play correctly on it. But, they usually play on the old Windows XP machine.

Go to:   

KEY:    Unread    Read    Sticky    Locked    Announcement    Moved    Moderator