Posts created by divegal

posted in Hidden Expedition ® - Devil's Triangle on Oct 31, 09 1:49 AM
I didn't buy the other HEs because they seemed mostly HOGs and I find that tedious, but I absolutely love that this is a mix with puzzles and adventure!

However as my favorite thing is puzzles, the fact that "hint" completes the puzzle is a huge drawback for me. It wouldn't be if there was at least a bit of instruction for the puzzles, though, and it seems that should have been a very easy thing to provide in what is otherwise a beautifully crafted game.

So based on the demo time I'm on the fence. If there was a bit of puzzle instruction OR a real hint (instead of solve) I'd definitely go for it. But as it is I'm not so sure.

Awesome graphics and flawless overall gameplay on my old laptop. Just wondering if I'd need a real hint on many of the later puzzles...

posted in Paradise Beach on Oct 22, 09 11:25 PM
Thank you for pointing that out, SpookyPigdog. I loved basically everything about this game but I really cringed about the turtles too!

posted in Nancy Drew: Treasure in the Royal Tower on Oct 22, 09 12:51 PM
I would love to hear what people think of this game. I know it's an older one, and while I like some of the older ones, some things about them annoy me. Specifically I'd appreciate if anyone can tell me:

- Is there a lot of long dialog, and if so, can it be skipped through by clicking?

- Would someone who likes things simple be quickly overwhelmed by a ton of places to go, things to collect, and historical data to learn, or is it more of a step-by-step checklist situation with one or two new directions opening up at a time?

- Are there mazes? Those drive me crazy.

On the plus side:

- Are Nancy's friends available to talk to?

- Are the characters and settings fun and interesting? (I realize that's very subjective.)

Looking forward to reading reviews from fellow fishies! Thank you!

And thank you for making another ND game available (whether or not it's one for me.) You are the very best!

posted in Avenue Flo on Oct 19, 09 11:07 PM
That was great fun. I like when a game combines elements -- not all ****, not all TM, not all conversation, I do love puzzles and this had a nice variety. On the easy side but that's good for me these days. Cute characters and stuff.

I'd appreciate recommendations for more games like this.

posted in Avenue Flo on Oct 18, 09 3:28 AM
I'm so glad I read the many positive reviews in here. I wanted an easy-going puzzle/adventure object without a lot of object search but with fun characters, and this is perfect.

posted in Nancy Drew: The Haunting of Castle Malloy on Oct 13, 09 12:48 AM
I was choosing between this one and Seven Ships and thanks to fellow fishies' reviews here (and there) I'm gonna get this one. Thanks all!

prpldva wrote:LOL- I had to have hubby do the arcade game for me too!

Oh whenever one of my adventure games has a tricky arcade game, my first-person-shooter hubby steps in too! LOL

posted in Nancy Drew: Ransom of the Seven Ships on Oct 13, 09 12:37 AM
Wow, I was about to get this one, seems almost everyone is disappointed, but I'm not sure if the reasons would apply to me.

I love a simple checklist, lots of puzzles, and for the problem-solving to be not ridiculously hard; and I hate mazes and complicated settings. Anyone have a hunch if this game would be for me? Thanks!

posted in Nancy Drew: Secret of the Scarlet Hand on Oct 12, 09 11:51 PM
I think this game is a little too much cultural reading for what I want in a game right now. I appreciate that ND is educational and I love Mayan culture but I feel like I'm back in college studying for an exam. While in a maze, because I also found the vast amount of area I was able to explore all at once a bit overwhelming.

Also, I'm spoiled on later games of this type. I think HER really improved general gameplay after this one.

I can see how people would really enjoy this one but it's not for me, now. I'm gonna treat myself to Castle Malloy or Seven Ships, the other ND games I have yet to play. I want short click-thru conversations with Bess etc., collect a few things, and do some cool puzzles.

posted in Nancy Drew: Secret of the Scarlet Hand on Oct 12, 09 3:20 PM
Hi Laflamme! Yeah, I carelessly overlooked the tutorial option but don't really need it. Thank you anyway!

I'm looking forward to resuming later and getting that task list, and I'm also hoping that Bess, George and the Boys will be reachable by phone?

This is the only ND game available from that I haven't yet played, except for Castle Malloy and Seven Ships which I bet are much cooler. But I wanted to finish up the old ones first. I'll be curious to hear how other fishies enjoy this one (and will report back too when able.)

posted in Nancy Drew: Secret of the Scarlet Hand on Oct 12, 09 11:56 AM
Thank you, Vaugh! I'll be looking forward to playing later and reaching the lab.

posted in Nancy Drew: Secret of the Scarlet Hand on Oct 12, 09 2:10 AM
Okay, I feel pretty dumb, but it's not like it's the first time There is a tutorial option in the beginning.

But where's Bess, George, and the Boys? I don't miss Ned though; he always seemed to wooden lol. Maybe I'll find them later.

Okay THIS does bug me -- Does she ever get a checklist of tasks? I think I've gotten spoiled on the later games lol.

posted in Nancy Drew: Secret of the Scarlet Hand on Oct 12, 09 1:56 AM
Thank you so much prchalpn!

I was kinda figuring this older game didn't have the skip-ahead. I hope the dialog is minimal (I prefer puzzle time) and I'll be extra careful with my clicks!

Did you enjoy the game otherwise?

Thank you again for your help. The fishes are so great here.

posted in Nancy Drew: Secret of the Scarlet Hand on Oct 12, 09 1:12 AM
If I recall, ND games usually let you skip through dialog by clicking ahead? The one (annoying) conversation so far took so long 'cause I wanted to re-check for more info, or misclicked, I had to hear a lot again. Is the whole game like this or is it not working right for me?

Also there was no tutorial, not that it seems like I need one, but the intro letter didn't add up to the familiar book/notes/ticket/desk/computer/phone kind of orientation?

Thanks in advance for any info. I'm playing Junior (unless I misclicked that too but I don't think so?)

posted in Nancy Drew - Curse of Blackmoor Manor on Oct 5, 09 11:14 PM
I've tried all the ones available from except the last two and Scarlet Hand, and I'm excited to try all three soon! I've also tried some earlier ones but has the best, I think.

I loved (not necessarily in this order) Old Clock, Crystal Skull, Ghost Dogs, Phantom of Venice, Danger by Design, Last Train, Kapu Cave, Deception Island, Icicle Creek. Actually I've loved all of the traditional style ones except Blackmoor Manor (I found it too dark, tedious and confusing) and Carousel (which I totally expected to like, but somehow I found myself impatient with keeping track of things, or something annoying, maybe someday I'll try again.) If I had to pick a fave I might say Old Clock even if the graphics aren't the most modern.

I enjoyed the two Dossier ones but got a little bored by the time I'd done both. I prefer puzzles to hidden objects, and given your quest I'd count those two out.

I hope it's okay to say without linking to it that HER Interactive's site has a forum in which each game has a review poll and lots of detailed non-spoiler reviews, so you can see more about what kind of difficulty level, atmosphere, etc. to expect.

But of course buy from because their price and support are the best anywhere!

Have fun with the awesome ND games!!!

posted in Nancy Drew - Secret Of The Old Clock on Sep 25, 09 12:22 PM
Mr_Russ we have basically the same faves

But you are brave, I am so Junior!

posted in Paradise Beach on Sep 25, 09 1:27 AM
Argh, it crashed on me too I was almost done with the level and a message came up fast and I got exited I'll report it to support but darn I was really enjoying this one

Edited to add: Yay!!! I updated DirectX and all is well. I'd just done it on my old machine but not on the new I guess because it's now running smooth as silk

posted in Nancy Drew - Secret Of The Old Clock on Sep 24, 09 11:46 PM
This was my favorite ND too!

posted in Paradise Beach on Sep 23, 09 11:22 PM
I'd gotten bored with building games over the last few months, but got hooked on this one real quickly, bought it, so far it runs great but I haven't gotten far. I hope I don't run into the bad problems I'm reading here, because I love the theme, and it's very....cute

posted in Iron Roses on Sep 23, 09 11:14 PM
I really wanted to like this one -- the rock band premise intrigued me, and I was willing to just laugh at the stereotypes and kinda cheesy dialogue. But the gameplay was erratic, sometimes she could zip instantly around, sometimes she had to walk slowly, it got me nuts.

That's cool, there's been so many great games lately, it's one less I need to buy

posted in Drawn: The Painted Tower ™ on Sep 21, 09 1:16 AM
Finally finished (I'm slow) and what an amazing, beautiful, fun game! , you really outdid yourselves That was maybe my fave game ever.

I mentioned earlier about turning off the custom cursor and everything was great? By the end of the game it was a little more resource-intensive than my 3-yo laptop likes, if I had other windows open. But if it started running less than perfectly, I cleaned up and rebooted and it was fine, except for one puzzle that had an impassable bug (the small checkers-like game, when I got to a place where there were no more moves, instead of resetting, it just waited for me to make a move, though I couldn't), but it was a small thing to have to skip. I was having so much fun I didn't care.

I absolutely adored the artristry, the puzzles for their content as well as their level of difficulty (thanks to the hints I only had to consult the walkthrough a couple times), the pacing, the way the scenery changed a lot but I didn't have to memorize much, did I mention it was fun? I was not annoyed by the delays in switching scenes. The ending was disappointing if this is a stand-alone but just fine assuming there's a sequel (please )

Thank you again you are the best

Go to:   

KEY:    Unread    Read    Sticky    Locked    Announcement    Moved    Moderator