Posts created by SavemeJack

posted in Journalistic Stories on Jul 19, 10 10:43 AM
Welcome IVD162 to the pond! What a game to dip your toes into, huh? Thank you for taking the time to comment on the game, and everyone else for their reviews. It saves me the agony of downloading and coming to the same conclusions.

There are just too many other really great games on my list to play!!

BF - you have been very, very good to us this month, so we forgive you for 2 bad ones in a row. Let's not try to make a habit of this, tho!!

cg

posted in Elixir of Immortality on Jul 17, 10 8:08 PM
P.S. ASKOLD - did I tell you this is a definite buy for me?

Another satisfied customer.

About the sequel - I don't know if you develop the main "undercover" detective's character more further in the game, but we could get to like him and see him in other undercover situations ... maybe. Just a suggestion.

We are all praying for the best on the Gulf Oil Spill, so don't think we are burying our heads in the sand here. We care about what our world is experiencing, and especially those that make their living off the Gulf - in fact all people who try to make a living, period, in this horrible time.

But we come here when the news gets too much, and our hearts begin to bleed for those in so much need right here in the USA. So we take a few hours of relaxation, a challenge to take our minds off - well, everything right now - and for friendship and support.

So I hope to see you back here from time to time. We have so many interesting discussions in the Chit-Chat Room, which you will find on our Forums. If you ever need a friend, want to voice an opinion without being criticized for it, or just want to say "hi" to a great bunch of "fishies," please do not hesitate to join in on any conversaton that might peek your interest. Some serious, some funny, some current affairs - the list is long. There are an awful lot of nice people who come here to play the games, and also to chit-chat.

Glad you found us, and you will also find a great place to chat with no hatred or prejudices, and no swearing (unless you abbreviate it!!) Success to you and your company.

posted in Elixir of Immortality on Jul 17, 10 7:53 PM
Yes, ASKOLD, I'm glad you're paying attention! First, this game has a plot - imagine that!! And character development! Just wished the characters would say more than HMMM, but that only one in my 60 minute trial. I do like NOT being led around by the nose with actual arrows to point the way, and hints in the form of pop-ups to tell you what to do next. Give us some credit for our intelligence in playing these games. What you heard about the graphics is more than true - great resolution, pieces relevant to the game (no junkpiles), and things you find you can use later. Maybe there should be more things in the Hidden Object Scene to find, because it is on the easy side. But the play of the game is great. The book tells the story, and gives you tasks to compete, although you may not be able to complete that particular task until you've been somewhere else first. We all like going back and forth from place to place to find things that are needed in another place entirely. I'm wondering if you can do without the "sparkly" magnifier in the lower right hand corner. Maybe some way the cursor would change so we need to know there is something to do there? Puzzles are different and some challenging, so keep 'em coming. I love the way this game plays: it's bright in the places it should be and dark where it should be. Creepy music, but not annoying - makes you remember what you are there for. Many things to do and places to go. You have a winner on your hands here - next one should be more challenging for us long-time players.

Thanks for sticking your head in to say hello and to tell us you appreciate our comments, without trying to stick up for yourself when you've made a lousy game, as I've seen other developers do. You are open to suggestions, you love us, and therefore we love you!

posted in Time Dreamer on Jul 16, 10 6:09 PM
Vicalana - Okay, got me there. Brill. = brilliant. If I had half a brain, I'd be dangerous. Even a quarter of one would put me in the impaired zone.....

cg

posted in Time Dreamer on Jul 16, 10 6:03 PM
Thanks Vicalana (what a pretty name). Are you telling me the name of the game where you travel from past to present and back again? Brill? I'll have to look that one up, because don't remember that title. I can see playing it so clearly, but so many names, so many games ....

Thanks again.

And this game is really different, isn't it? Did you purchase?

cg

posted in Secrets of the Dragon Wheel on Jul 15, 10 12:06 AM
Had no problems with downloading it, but the cursor seems to stick and/or move very slowly, and I've seen others have had this problem, too.

So Sorry, but this is not a game for me. Too much talking, HOG's are way too dark, puzzles way too easy, and I really don't like the fact that, even with the patch, the game does not work right.

Another disappointment this week, another no buy for me.

Glad all the other fishes are enjoying it, though - it does seem like a long game.

Enjoy!!

cg

posted in Time Dreamer on Jul 14, 10 10:57 PM
My review: I am so sorry this game is not as long as games I usually buy! But I really love the developer's "way of thinking." I know some of the scenes are a bit dark, but I love the game play. I am so into the story after my hour's demo, and so into the characters, too! The switch from past to present is a great feature - I have seen this in one other game, but can't recall which one. But it adds a whole new dimension to it.

It's different, it's quirky, it's fun to play, and it holds my interest. So hopefully it has some replay value 'cause this is a definte buy for me.

cg

posted in Time Dreamer on Jul 14, 10 10:50 PM
ALSMITH: I hope I answer this correctly, but this is the way I think the trial goes. You download the entire game, but it is timed so you can only play an hour (sometimes less!). It shows up on my computer as "password protected" when I do a virus scan. As soon as I buy it, I believe all you are doing is "activating" the game so you can play it forever and ever, and it does not show up anymore as password protected on my virus scans.

If any of you fishes think I am not answering this correctly, please respond, but that is just my impression from doing this so many years. I am NOT the computer expert, so please let ALSMITH know if I am wrong about this.

Thanks.
cg

posted in Artifacts of the Past: Ancient Mysteries on Jul 14, 10 10:41 PM
Okay, fishies, I'm dying on the vine here. I hate it when we have a string of games that come along all at once, and you're trying desperately to find one you like. I would have to say this was the second worst game I've tried tonight.

First of all, isn't it strange that you have to wait to "load" every scene? I think that was the only thing that kept me from finishing the 2nd story in 25 minutes! Missed the entire story line, although I did read every word - a complete waste. I definitely do not like to be lead around by the nose through any game, and this was a perfect example. Objects that were on the list were HIGHLIGHTED? Where is the challenge in that? Some objects didn't even need the highlighting as it was so obvious they were not part of the background.

Obviously, I don't even think this is worth 2.99. The game was put together very badly, and certainly won't be winning any awards. I'm going to go back and start as a new player just to see who the developer was so I'm sure never to buy a game from them! What a sloppy mess of junk piles and boredom.

Sorry to be so negative. It's been a long night of very dissappointing games.

cg

posted in The Heritage on Jul 9, 10 10:25 PM
Yep, well, just finished off this game. Previous reviews have pretty much told you how the game plays and their likes and dislikes. So, I'll just ramble a bit:

Remember when IHOG's first came out? They kept getting better and better all the time, and some IHOG's had a touch of adventure to them, too.

Okay, now we got the FROG's. I think it was a bad idea in the first place, and really, there is no where the developers of FROG's can take this any further!! It really does get boring after a while. This was an okay game, a good mixture of FROG's and mini-games, with the FROG's being played a little bit differently with you just finding the pieces of what you alredy know you are going to put them. Not like the old "Circle Pop Up" type of FROG. But no matter what they do, FROG's become boring and tedious after an hour or so.

So there, I said my piece. It was an okay game, short and sloppy ending. Didn't really get the story quite right, I don't believe. Doubt I'll play it again!

Have a great weekend
cg

posted in Grace's Quest: To Catch An Art Thief on Jul 9, 10 12:03 AM
Some of the fishes like this game, some don't. The one's that do are being pretty hard on the one's that don't.

So, in an effort to not make anyone mad here, I hated this game. The cartoonishness seemed to be from some other planet, the story was more than lame, the junkpiles were endless, you'd find a item, but if it wasn't on the list, couldn't click on it. You could come to a place that was highlighted with a puzzle piece next to it, but couldn't play the puzzle until, well, when? Nothing made any sense to me. There seemed to be no rhyme or reason to what you were doing. IMHO a very poorly put together game.

Hope I did not offend anyone.

cg

posted in Dream Chronicles: The Book of Air on Jul 8, 10 11:12 PM
Welcome WECPTINK and NEONURSE to the Pond! Hope you will enjoy it here as much as I do!

As for the game. All I can say is darn it all, anyway. Dream Chronicles was one of my faves - have all 3. The 2nd one was the most challening game I have ever played, with no help in sight. There was a walkthrough, but that didn't necessarily help you figure out a puzzle. I figured when I finished #2, there could never be a game I could not beat. So proud of myself!!

What do they say? Pride comes before the fall ... This is the fall. Why not just take my hand and lead me through the whole game, and point out all the dream pieces along the way, show me by blinking the objects I need to deal with, and then say goodbye? This is NOTHING like the other games in the series. I will never understand why people feel they have to change a good thing they have going for them.

I'm sorry to say, I doubt if I will buy this one. Such a disappointment.

cg

posted in Skymist - The Lost Spirit Stones on Jul 5, 10 1:39 AM
Thank you ONETOOMANY for posting that here for all of us to see. I do not like the sound of that download, and would not download that for any reason, especially just to play a game. I wonder if BFG's knows about this? I'm sure they are off tomorrow, so it may take a while to get a response from them. So anyone out there that gives a hoot about your computer, wait and see what BFG customer support has to say about this download and the fact that the game does not run well on pretty much all of the computers here.

Take care of your computer. It is hard to live without it - I know, I just had mine in the shop for over a week - guess what?? Infected with a trojan worm that was so new, even my anti-virus software did not find it. It's dangerous out there in Cyberworld, and these people make a lot of money to get into your system - and I mean a lot of money. It's always "follow the money" guys, so don't get taken advantage of. Beware.

I am also going to write to BFG's customer support asap and let them know about this added software that has to be downloaded in order to play this game. Not good.

posted in Robinson Crusoe and the Cursed Pirates on Jul 5, 10 1:23 AM
I do have to agree with KrissyWillow about the animal abuse. Just finished Chapter 4, or maybe 5, where you have to revive the dog. You had to take a wet rope and tie it to the power source and then to the dog. The dog was shocked by the power surges at least 3 times before he got up. It was painful to watch.

It is a funny game, with a lot of little animation you would not notice unless you stayed on a scene for a long time. It is challenging, but not all that hard. The people who thought up this game were some sick people. I think that is why I am rushing to finish it and be done with it.

Guess this is just not my sense of humor - and I see I am in the minority here, so I will end by saying enjoy playing the game. And hope you had a great 4th. We owe so much to our servicemen and their mothers and fathers, who I am sure await in terror to hear when their children are going to be coming home - or not, and if coming home, will they be maimed for life? They are so young and so innocent to be put in those kinds of situations.

Peace to all, and may all our men and women come home safe and sound.

posted in Vault Cracker on Jul 3, 10 10:16 PM
May I also say that it is not just you guys that are having technical problems with the game. It was very sticky and slow and jerky at times. When I went to the options menu and asked for the custom cursor, closed the menu, and nothing - no different than the regular cursor. There are pauses in the game where nothing is happening, and you try to get her to walk down the stairs or go somewhere else, and she won't move. Then, almost like it was loading something, she automatically does something that you did not tell her to do, it (again) was just done for you. Thank goodness my computer did not crash, but when I quit (with a few minutes remaining), it took forever to get to the screen where the Big Green Fish asks you if you want to play again or buy it, and then it took forever to get to the "get tips in the forum" menu.

I suggest anyone who actually does have their computer crash, that they get in touch with customer support immediately. I don't see this as a good sign.

Thanks for listening.

posted in Vault Cracker on Jul 3, 10 10:09 PM
There are a number of things that didn't sit well with me while playing the demo. First, there is just too much vocal conversation. And, as someone before said, there is no panic in her voice about her child being taken. Maybe this happens to her a lot, I don't know. Also, I felt like I was being led around the game by the developer, or just the way the game is put together. You're told to "look here" or "crack the safe," when it could have been a better game if they had let you figure it out yourself. I mean, when you had to play the ball game to get the numbers to open the safe, here I am frantically writing down the numbers as they appear for only a few seconds, and -- nothing. I didn't have to do a thing about the safe; didn't have to turn any knobs, or enter the numbers in the right order. It was all done for me.

Graphics were very clear, light and easy to find ****'s. But the problem still remains that I don't like being led around like a dog on a leash. Let me do some thinking. I honestly don't think the game play would be any different in the difficult mode (I played the casual mode) because that is just the way the game is made.

Sorry, didn't float my boat. There are better games out there.

posted in Treasure Seekers: Follow the Ghosts on Jul 3, 10 12:56 AM
Does anyone know which one came out first, because I downloaded the trials at the end of this game which were The Enchanted Canvases and Visions of Gold. I know I played a Treasure Seekers before, or at least I think I know - well, you know how it is.

Anyway, just finished this game and I didn't think it was too short at all. I thought it was, IMHO, a really good game, and I was not expecting that to be the case. There was a little bit of everything in here, HOGs and FROGs and Adventure Style play and puzzles - so I was very satisfied with it.

I hope you are, too. I think the other games are older ones - I don't know why, but I do. Is this beginning to sound like a Frank Sinatra song? It was good, and worth the 6.99. The others, I'll wait on - maybe this weekend would be a good time to get them with the 30% off all 6.99 games deal.

Hope you all enjoy it as much as I did. And don't let everyone fool you - it was not too short. They are just bragging, I think. Well, maybe not, but it took me a couple, three nights of 2 or 3 hour sessions to finish it, and I'm no dummy. The graphics were great, some of the objects hard to find with that "smoky" film that kept creeping over the screen, and the puzzles were just challenging enough that I had to skip one entirely. Hate that. I did play in the difficult mode, so maybe that's why it took me so long.

Enjoy, fishies. Hope you like it.

posted in Kate Arrow: Deserted Wood on Jun 27, 10 1:14 AM
I'm going to keep this one on the back burner for now.

The game, at least the first chapter that I played during the trial, is bordering on being a decent IHOG with some different and interesting puzzles. I LOVE the graphics - so bright and cheery. My eyes thank you, developer. The hidden objects are NOT easy to find, although you would think after playing these kind of games for years, I would be able to find a BALL, even in a junkpile. But they are very well hidden. Also, I like that you have to go back to previous rooms to finish a task, sometimes with a new hidden object scene.

I am, of course, worried about the length of the game. Just peeking at the walkthrough, the 2nd of 5 chapters seemed to be so much shorter than Chapter 1, which I completed in an hour. This may well turn out to be no more than a couple of hours long.

Some parts of the game are almost too easy, while others are very hard. Had to skip one puzzle entirely. So, it's a mixed bag, borderline good game that probably is too short for my liking. It will remain on my back burner.

posted in Midnight Mysteries: Salem Witch Trials on Jun 25, 10 10:40 PM
Boy, have we got some great reviewers lately! Lizzie for one!

Anyway, I can't say it any better than she did - this is a great game. No hesitation here, I am off to buy it right now.

Happy Gaming to all.

posted in The Heritage on May 24, 10 11:16 PM
Oh Boy - I have a totally NEW and DIFFERENT problem with this game. I get to Chapter 6 or 7 on the trial version - it is the chapter where you have to gather the pieces of both candle holders (the ones that hold 3 candles each). I have played the game after clicking on the sparkling candles, and get nothing in return for winning. I have done this twice with both sides of the candle holders. Guess I'll wait for a fix on this one. Besides, not all that long when you think about it - I got through to Chapter 7 and still have time left on my trial.

I have two more games to buy before the end of this month - was hoping to get this one, and have a decent one show up this week - but neither of those two things seems to be happening at the pond.

What is going on here? Something is truly different about this place, the games, the locked forums, the words it will not allow you to say in the forums. They seem to have an awful lot of time to monitor the forums, but the games themselves have been awful for the last 3 to 4 months, and when you find one you like, can't even play it.

HOPE SOMEONE IS LISTENING OUT THERE!!

Go to:   

KEY:    Unread    Read    Sticky    Locked    Announcement    Moved    Moderator