Posts created by NIMHURCHU

posted in Awakening: Moonfell Wood on Jan 25, 13 6:34 PM
I have purchased and enjoyed all games in the Awakening series. As I look back on my notes on Moonfell Wood, I did mention that I "might play again, so keep in GM".

I began playing the game again today, to refresh my memory. I was bothered by the black bars on the top and bottom of the screen and the "decorative bars" on the right and left of my screen in full screen mode. It was not enjoyable enough to play through the entire game again today. However, below are some details/opinions that I noted to myself in terms of number and type of HOS, puzzles and graphics when I first played the game.

HOS: There are approx. 6 "find items on the list hogs"
6 pictorial hogs
13 "find so many of an item" e.g. 20 butterflies.

Puzzles: There are approximately 74 simple puzzles, with some having 3 to 5 levels per puzzles. Many puzzles are repeated, but I did not feel bored or stressed to complete. It seems to me that what is considered a "skippable puzzle" here might be considered a simple task in other iHOGs. Puzzles can be skipped in 30 secs in casual mode.

There is no map.

The journal has a goals section, with specific tasks to be completed. It also has a story section which includes "clues".

Overall, I would recommend this game. It is worth the $2.99, and I enjoyed playing the first time. However, I now expect my games to fill the screen automatically. I expect excellent voiceover and animation throughout the game.

posted in Shaolin Mystery: Tale of the Jade Dragon Staff on Jan 24, 13 4:12 PM
This is a good deal at $2.99.

There is no choice for mode of play. There are sparkles to indicate HOS. If you move the cursor around, interactive scenes sparkle.

Graphics are bright, and the story line is interesting and different from the typical offerings of murder, or ghosts etc.

There is voiceover only in the cutscenes. Personally, I thought the voiceover was dreadful - rushed and emotionless - so I turned it down.

There is no journal, but tasks are listed on the right, and clues to puzzles are close enough to easily check back in the scene.

There is no map, and the hint button does not point you in the right direction.

Frogs: There are 37 fragmented hidden objects throughout the game. There are 2 to 7 fragments in each object. The objects will be used to advance in the game.

Hogs: There are approximately 36 "find items on the list" Hogs.

Puzzles: There are approx. 24 puzzles. Skip button refills in approx. 1min 30secs.

Hints recharge in approx. 45 secs.

Overall, this is a very enjoyable game. It took me about 6 hours to complete. Lots of fun!

posted in Jigsaws Galore on Jan 22, 13 3:54 PM
Thanks to all the great fishies for the reviews and all the information on the features available. I wasn't too fond of many of the pictures offered, but when I saw that you could create your own, I just had to try. I used some photos of my kids, which they just loved!!!! I could customize to fewer pieces so that the kids could complete the puzzles also. This is a buy for me. I do prefer doing cardboard jigsaw puzzles, but found that I just couldn't keep all the pieces with my little taking off with them. This way, I know that I won't get to the end of a jigsaw puzzle with 2 pieces missing.

posted in 9: The Dark Side on Jan 20, 13 12:28 PM
Another great $2.99 deal!

Options include music and sound effects control, fullscreen or widescreen, and software cursor.

There are 3 modes of play: casual, advanced and hardcore. You cannot change modes mid-game.

There are voiceovers.

Graphics and cut-scenes are well done.

There is a journal with a story section and an objectives section.

There is no map. I had some trouble finding my way around at the end of the game, and the hint button did not point you in the right direction. It just told you which scene or room to go to, and what needed to be done there. For me that was a problem, as I didn't remember how I got to certain areas in the end of the game. It was mildly annoying, but I still loved the game.

HOS: There are approximately 13 HOS.

Hints: In casual mode, hints refill in 1 min.
In advanced mode, hints refill in 1 min 30 secs.
In hardcore mode, hints refill in 10 mins.

Puzzles: There are about 33 puzzles. Puzzles can be skipped.

Skip button: In casual mode, fills in 1 min.
In advanced mode, fills in approx. 2 mins.
In hardcore mode, fills in 12 mins.

I got about 4 hours of fun entertainment in casual mode. Such a bargain!

posted in House of 1000 Doors: Family Secrets on Jan 19, 13 2:52 AM
Fantastic deal at $2.99

Options include music, sound effects and ambient volume control; screen resolution, fullscreen and widescreen control; custom cursor or system cursor.

There are voiceovers.

Cutscenes and graphics are beautiful.

There are 2 modes of play: casual and expert. You cannot change modes mid-game. There were still sparkles indicating HOS in expert mode.

Hints recharge in approx. 1 min in casual mode and 2 mins in expert mode. Hints work outside of HOS.

There is a journal with the story and clues.

There is a map. It gives your current location, areas that have objectives to complete, and it is interactive.

There are 35 morphing objects to collect. If you miss some of the morphing objects, you cannot go back to get them in certain areas.

HOS: There are approximately 28 iHOS.

Puzzles: There are approx. 18 puzzles. They can be skipped after 2 mins.

There is a lot of interaction throughout the game. It took me about 5 hours to complete in casual mode, skipping 1 puzzle.

This is one of my favourite games, and I highly recommend. It is well-worth the $2.99.

posted in Surface: Mystery of Another World on Jan 18, 13 4:06 PM
I tried to resist purchasing another DD, but this was just too much fun to pass up at $2.99

Graphics were wonderful.

There is a journal.

There is a map, and it can be used to transport from scene to scene.

There are 3 modes of play : casual, advanced and hardcore. You can change modes mid-game.

Hogs: There are approx. 21 hos. In many scenes, you will need to use items in your inventory to complete the hos. I had to exit hos and look around for the item needed, but I found that interesting and it broke the monotony of straight hogs.

Hint: The hint button fills in approx. 45 secs in casual mode:
approx. 1 min in advanced mode:
there are NO hints in hardcore mode....not even sparkles to indicate Hog scenes or areas of interest

Puzzles: There are approx. 25 puzzles. In easy mode, puzzles can be skipped in approx. 1 min, in approx. 1min 30 secs in advanced mode, and cannot be skipped in hardcore moded.

This was a great deal for me, and took approx. 5 hours to complete in easy mode. Well worth the trial, at least.

posted in Haunted Past: Realm of Ghosts on Jan 6, 13 8:03 PM
Hi GramGram4, Go past the servant's bedroom and in to the dark room. One of the statues will have a letter on the arm. Take it. You will put that letter in the empty space in one of the paintings. Then take the badminton racket that appears. Put the badminton racket in to the next painting, and take the needlepoint kit that appears. Put the needlepoint kit in to the appropriate painting, and take the sharp knife. Use the sharp knife on the final painting and take the brass key in the lower left corner.

Hope this helps. I will send you a PM with the address to another site that has a walkthrough for this game. Happy gaming!

posted in Haunted Past: Realm of Ghosts on Jan 6, 13 2:35 PM
This is one of my favourite games - a bargain at $2.99 ! For me, the gameplay was different , quite unique. You travel between realms via reflective surfaces, find and hide inventory objects to be retrieved when you return to your realm. Also, I loved the variety of options given for gamelplay.

Options: Basic settings includes full screen or windowed mode. ( No black bars for me, in fullscreen - love that!) There is choice of custom cursor; sound fx, music and dialogue volume control; and on/off for "optimize for slow computer".

Difficulty settings includes a choice for casual, advanced or custom modes of play. I chose custom, and had further options: tutorial on/off; visual help on/off, ingame tips on/off; hint recharge of fast, medium or slow; skip puzzles charge of short, long or off; and hidden object difficulty of casual or advanced.

Casual mode: tutorial, visual help and ingame tips are turned on, hint recharge is set to fast, skip puzzles is set to short, and h.o. difficulty is set to casual.
Advanced mode: tutorial, visual help and ingame tips are turned off, hint recharge is set to slow, puzzles cannot be skipped, and h.o. difficulty is set to advanced.

Game play mode can be changed mid-game. (love that!)

There are 5 chapters.

HOS: There are approx. 16 "find items on list" HOS. It seemed that items in advanced mode were more blended in the scene.

Puzzles: There are approx. 17 simple puzzles. The skip button charges in approx. 30 secs in short mode and approx. 1 min 30 secs in long mode. Puzzles cannot be skipped in advanced mode.

Hints: Hints work outside of Hos. In fast mode, hints recharge in approx. 30 secs. In medium mode, recharge in approx. 1 min, and in slow mode, recharge in approx. 1 min 30secs.

There is no map, but the hint button helps to navigate, and you do not lose your hint when arrow points you in the right direction.

There is a journal with story and clues.

There are voiceovers, but sometimes didn't work for me.

When you have nothing else to do in an area, it is marked "area cleared".

I got at least 4 hours of fun gameplay, changing the difficulty settings as suited my mood at the time.

I highly recommend trying this game.

posted in Shattered Minds: Masquerade on Jan 5, 13 8:06 PM
This game is probably worth $2.99 and I would suggest doing the trial.
I had purchased this game a while ago, and when it came on DD, I thought I should add this to my "finished" list.

There were voiceovers, the story was different and interesting, and there was a nice balance between HOS and puzzles.

HOS: There were approx. 19 "find items on list" iHOS
Puzzles: There were approx. 17 puzzles that can be skipped in about 2 mins. 30 secs.

However, I felt so frustrated with the hint system. Within the HOS, the hint was a shattered glass type of hint in the general area of the object. This was not helpful in identifying the very well blended objects, so I just had to click away....leading to the dreaded "random click penalty".

There is no map, and the hint button does not help to navigate...just tells you "there is nothing to do here".

Give it a try.

posted in Fear for Sale: Sunnyvale Story on Jan 4, 13 1:30 PM
I think that this game is worth the $2.99 price.

Options include music, sound and voice volume control; fullscreen, widescreen and custom cursor options. When I clicked both fullscreen and widescreen, the black bars on either side of the screen disappeared.

There are voiceovers, but the mouths don't move.

There are 2 modes of play:
1. Regular mode: Hint and skip buttons recharge in approximately 1 min.
2. Expert mode: Hint and skip buttons recharge in approx. 2 mins. There were still sparkles for HOS.
You cannot change modes mid-game.

There is no map, but the hint button helps you to navigate.

There is a journal with the story and clues.

HOS : There are 25 interactive "find items on list" HOS. You revisit many of the scenes, and some of the objects that were listed the first time are again listed. However, I didn't mind that as I tend to find HO scenes tedious at times, and I can move through them more quickly if they are repeated.

Puzzles: There are 12 skippable puzzles.

When I first played this game almost a year ago, I was so impressed and listed it as A+ game. Now, I would list it as a B+/A- game. I was still interested enough to play it all the way through again, so I would recommend to at least try.

posted in World's Greatest Cities Mahjong on Dec 31, 12 8:52 PM
I normally don't even try these types of games, but I took a chance on this one, and the 1 hr free trial was up before I knew it. I just had to purchase this game, as there were so many variations to the traditional Mahjong.

Options include music and effects volume control, 3D acceleration, full screen and custom cursor options.

There are 7 types of gameplay:
1. Traditional mahjong.
2. Non-Pair: You find the tile in each layer with no matching pair.
3. Solitaire: You select the tiles of each suit in order from ace to deuce.
4. Great Wall: Make matches on opposite sides of a wall.
5. Logical Triple Game: Tiles are displayed in a frame on the bottom and you must find two tiles on the board that logically relate, e.g coffee grinder + coffee bean = cup of coffee.
6. Bottom tiles: Tiles are displayed in a frame on the bottom, and you select any free identical tile on the board.
7. Five seconds: A tile is displayed in the bottom frame for 5 secs and you select matches on the board. The bottom tile blinks if there are several matching tiles on the board.

There is a hint button that refills in approximately 20 seconds.

There is a shuffle button and an undo button.

You can click on "show free tiles" and available tiles are highlighted.

There are 4 types of "secret tiles":
1. When you select a particular tile, all matches for that tile will be shown for 30 secs.
2. Tile removes all of a particular tile.
3. Swap tile swaps two selected tiles.
4. Change tile - select two tiles and all instances of the second tile will be changed to match the first tile.

Overall, this is a great choice for me, as I play mostly ihogs, and a few match 3 games. This is a nice addition to my collection and worth the $2.99 for something different and fun. I'm very glad that I stopped to try it!

posted in Shadow Wolf Mysteries: Bane of the Family on Dec 29, 12 10:35 AM
Excellent deal at $2.99

Options include music and sound volume control, custom cursor, fullscreen and widescreen.

There are 3 modes of play:
Reglar Mode: Hints and skip button refill quicker. Sparkles indicate active zones.
Expert mode: Hints and skip button refill slower. The description notes that "active zones are not indicated", but there were sparkles to indicate Hog scenes.
Hardcore mode: Hints and skip button refill incredibly slowly. The description notes that "active zones are not indicated" and "black bar tips are disabled". However, there were sparkles to indicate Hog scenes.

Voiceovers and character animations are well done.

There is no map.

There is a journal for story and clues.

Hogs: There are 32 "find items on a list" scenes.

Puzzles: There are 17 puzzles. They are skippable, but skip button takes a very long time to fill.
Regular mode: Skip is available after approx. 3 mins 30 secs.
Expert mode: Approx. 6 mins 30 secs
Hardcore mode: Approx. 13 mins 30 secs

Hints: Work both inside and out of Hog scenes, but take a long time to refill.
Regular mode: Approximately 1 min 20 secs to refill.
Expert mode: Approx. 2 mins 45 secs.
Hardcore mode: Approx. 5 mins

It took me 4 hours to play in regular mode, skipping 2 puzzles.

Overall, I found the graphics, voiceovers and character animations well-done and very enjoyable. The story line was a bit weak, with an abrupt ending and hints at a sequel. I found the long recharge on the hint and skip button to be the most annoying. However, it's still an excellent deal at $2.99, and I have no regrets in purchasing and playing this game.

posted in Haunted Manor: Queen of Death on Dec 28, 12 4:57 AM
Yet another great DD offering!

Options include music and sound volume control, full screen and custom cursor.

There is no choice on mode of play - sparkles indicate Hog scenes, cursor changes to a hand when you can pick something up, and a magnifying glass to take a closer look.

There are no voiceovers, with the exception of a few spooky, threatening voices interspersed with the music.

There is no map. There was a lot of trekking back and forth. When I played the second time around, I didn't get as lost. Also, the hint button shows arrows to point you in the right directions.

There is no journal.

Hints refill in 1 minute, and work outside of Hog scenes.

Hogs: There are 33 "find items on the list" Hog scenes. There was nice spacing between Hog scenes in the first 4 chapters. There were puzzles and plenty of tasks to accomplish. However, the last chapter contained 12 Hogs of the 33 total, and became a little tedious, in my opinion.
Also, you revisited some scenes more than once, and some of the objects on the list were the same.

Puzzles: There are 18 puzzles. They can be skipped in approximately 30 seconds.

Story and dialogue is interesting, but can be skipped.

It took me approximately 5 hours to finish.

Overall, this is a great deal at $2.99. Lots of fun tasks and puzzles, and kept me entertained even when playing it for a second time.

posted in G.H.O.S.T Chronicles: Phantom of the Renaissance Faire on Dec 27, 12 5:21 AM
contd:
Puzzles: There are no typical skippable puzzles. I would call it more interactive tasks to be completed, although the game calls them puzzles that require inventory items to solve.

When I first began the game, I had a somewhat difficult time with small objects that were well-blended in to the backgrounds. However, there is a magnifying glass, and plenty of hints to help you along.....if you keep an eye out for those fairies. As I progressed in the game, it seemed that my eyes adjusted and I had very little trouble finding objects.

This game took me approximately 3 hours to complete when I played it the second time. I am sure that it took me probably 5 hours to complete when I first played, as there is a lot of exploring to do.

Overall, I think it's worth the time to download and try. I am very satisfied with the game and the wonderful $2.99 price. Well worth it to me!

posted in G.H.O.S.T Chronicles: Phantom of the Renaissance Faire on Dec 27, 12 5:04 AM
For me, this was a good deal at $2.99.

There are 2 modes of play - clicking on "let me figure out what to do" is the most difficult, but you can change mid-game via the options button.

Options include: change level of difficulty/more help on, music, sounds and voices volume control, mute all, and fullscreen.

There is an interactive map for travel, but it doesn't show you where things needed to be done.

There is a lot of easy, relaxing adventure to this game. You scroll from left to right in search of sparkles indicating an objective, or hidden object scene to be completed. I did not find myself disorientated by this feature, as I usually am. A large green arrow appears when you can explore down other streets in this "village".

You meet wonderful characters along the way, and I enjoyed the voiceovers and interaction.

Hints: You begin the game with 5 hints, but can earn more hints by finding fairies. There are a total of 68 fairies to find.
Clicking on the ? on the bottom right of the screen gives hints on what to do next.
Clicking on the fairy icon on the bottom right shows the placement of hidden objects.
Clicking on the green eye on the bottom left shows items hidden under others, and you will have to locate other items in the scene first, or use inventory items. Sometimes you will have to leave the scene and find inventory items in other scenes, then trek back again.

Hogs: There are approximately: 15 "find items on a list" hogs.
2 pictorial
1 fragmented

posted in Shiver: Poltergeist on Dec 23, 12 10:23 PM
Thank you all so much for taking the time to post on this dd. I had a response typed up on my iPad , and on one swift move, my 5 hr old had it gone :-).
Ginger gal, I always look for your reviews, as it seems our tastes and tolerances are similar. I am away from home and could not download the iPad version of the game. I can't remember playing it on my pc, so I am completely dependent on reviews. I confess that I am a dd addict...lol! It's tough to pass up a dd, especially if there are great graphics/cutscenes, voiceovers, interactive gameplay, and a decent length. Pussygalore, thanks for your tip to look on yt for the ending. I'll browse through the reviews and see if I feel inclined to purchase without trying first. Honestly, I'm not inclined to do so as I've made some very bad decisions in this past month. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!!!!!!!!

posted in Hallowed Legends: Templar on Dec 22, 12 12:40 PM
This is a great bargain at $2.99 !!!!! Sorry for this very rushed review, but I must get out for some last minute Christmas shopping. The graphics were excellent, and I thoroughly enjoyed the live-action scenes.

Three modes of play : Casual, advanced and hardcore. You can change modes mid-game. This comes in handy if you choose hardcore, and get stuck, as there are no hints and puzzles are not skippable in hardcore mode.

Hogs: There are approximately 17 hogs. There is some interaction, and at times you will need inventory items in the hog scenes.

Puzzles: There are approx. 21 puzzles. Puzzles are skippable, except in hardcore mode.

There are voiceovers.

Hints: Work outside of hog scenes. You will get increasingly more information as you repeatedly click on the hint button. First, you will be pointed in the general direction, and the last hint basically tells you exactly where to go and what to do.
Hints recharge in about 30 secs in casual mode, and approx. 45 secs in advanced mode. There are no hints in hardcore mode.

This game was so much fun, and I didn't want it to end. It took me about 5 hours to complete in casual mode. I didn't skip any dialogue or cut scenes, as I found them so enjoyable. This game is on my " definitely play again" list. I wish that I had time to play now! Don't pass this game up without giving it a try first. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

posted in Chronicles of Albian: The Magic Convention on Dec 16, 12 2:16 PM
I am not near my computer, so I am trying to remember as many details about this game. I have been playing it on and off for a year. The objects are small. I believe that you are given 3 hints at the beginning, and you can earn more by finding magic wands (3 per scene, I think), and 2 fairies per scene (they find a random object from your list). As I played, I realized that there are subtle sparkles that show up on objects to be found to help you along. This makes the scenes much more fun and easier to complete.

There are mini games to help earn more money.

Music and sounds are enjoyable.

Options for decorating the castle and grounds are beautiful.

This seems to be an endless game. I revisit it when I want to just relax. There seems to be endless options for decorating, and I find it to be great fun (once I figured out that sparkles can help me in finding those elusive hidden objects:-)

Overall, I am delighted to have this game. I estimate that I have played at least 40 hours over the past year, and I still have more options for decorating. Well worth the $2.99 for me. Definitely worth the time to download and try for yourself. You might find that you enjoy the game......and don't forget to keep an eye out for sparkles, wands and fairies to help you along.

posted in Mountain Crime: Requital on Dec 14, 12 5:52 PM
This is a great deal at $2.99. When I began the game, I liked the graphics and cut scene, but found some things unbelievable and not well thought out. However, as I progressed in the game, I became engrossed in the story, and game play was so much fun that I had to find out what was going on.

There are voiceovers throughout the game. Dialogue can be skipped if you're not interested in the story.

There are 2 modes of play: regular and expert. You cannot change modes mid-game. I played the complete game in regular mode, and began playing again in expert mode, but have not yet finished. I was surprised to see sparkles indicating hidden object scenes in expert mode.

Options include: Music, sound and voice volume controls, custom cursor, full screen and enable sparkles, regardless of mode of play. Note: As mentioned above, I had sparkles for the hidden objects scenes, even though I disabled in expert mode.

There are 6 chapters. I found that the first and last seemed short, but the others seemed quite long.

HOgs: When you click on a Hog scene, you are shown the black and white picture of 5 to 8 objects that you must locate and place on the black white circles. When all are collected, you earn an inventory item.
There are approximately 24 Hog scenes in the game.

Puzzles: There are approximately 22 puzzles in the game. They can be skipped after 3 mins in regular mode and expert mode. I had to double check my timing, as I was sure that regular mode should be a lot shorter than expert mode.

Hints: Hints recharge in 30 secs in regular mode, and approximately 1 min. in expert mode. HInts work outside of Hog scenes, and are useful in giving arrows pointing you in the right direction.

There is a map. It indicates your current location and the locations where tasks need to be completed, but it is not interactive, so you cannot transport from one location to another.

The journal includes a notes section with story and clues, a task section with specific tasks to be accomplished, the map, and a list of guests (interesting to the story).

Inventory items can be found by hovering over the medical bag. If you click on the medical bag, you can lock the inventory in place.

Overall, this is a great game. Well worth the DD price, and definitely worth the time to play the trial!

posted in Golden Trails: The New Western Rush on Dec 13, 12 3:52 PM
contd:

Hints: You are given 5 hints, and you earn more by shooting gangsters as they pop up on your screen.

Trophies: There are 72 trophies to be earned. Hover over any trophy to get details.

Stolen Items: Some locations have stolen items. You must find these for some of the trophies. A stolen item will sparkle when you hover over it. I had trouble keeping track of where stolen items were supposed to be located. You can read in the trophy room which locations have stolen items, but I had to keep going back to remind myself. I would have liked if somehow we were told in the scene that there was a stolen item to be found.

Sheriff's Badges: There are 3 or 4 Sheriff's Badges in each scene after you reach the Sheriff's Office. The first 5 Hog scenes did not have any badges. You are told when you have located all the badges to be found in a scene.
Also, as mentioned before, you earn badges in the mini-game. The most that I have earned is 227 total for the game. There is a trophy for 250, so back I'll go again to try for it :-)

Overall, there is so much to do in this game. It took me 3 hours to play the first time, but I missed a lot of trophies and used hints. Second time, it took me 4 hours, and then 5 hours the last time, as I was trying to earn the "no hint used in the game" trophy. Still didn't succeed, so I will definitely play again. Do give it a try for the DD price. It has become a surprising gem in my collection :-)

Go to:   

KEY:    Unread    Read    Sticky    Locked    Announcement    Moved    Moderator