Posts created by HatesTimers

posted in Campgrounds on May 13, 12 12:47 PM
TKincaidIN wrote:
You can try different resolutions though to see if that allows the game to run.

Does this mean I would have to change it back for all of my other games?

Yes, change the resolution, play the game, then change the resolution back.

Once in the game, I was able to go into the game's options and change from fullscreen to windowed mode. Then I could run the game without changing resolution. Of course, it then ran in a window rather than fullscreen.

posted in Campgrounds on May 8, 12 9:38 AM
I also had the problem of it briefly opening a small black window, but then it bombed out giving the error message: "The specified mode is not supported by this device".

My monitor is 1920x1200 and I am using the 64 bit version of windows XP.

I tried setting my resolution to 1600x1200 before running the game, but no difference. Then I tried setting my resolution to 1024x768, and the game Loaded!

I had just enough time to enter a profile name before the game decided my free trial was over, so I didn't get a chance to actually try the game.

posted in Weather Lord on May 4, 12 2:45 PM
gypsy278 wrote:Hello "Hates Timers" I really want to continue playing this game but I'm not very good with computers. Can you please explain in computer illiterate terms how to do what you are suggesting??????

I'll try, although different versions of Windows do some things a bit differently.

First, you need to know who your logged in as. If you don't know, the Windows shutdown menu should have an option "Log Off xxx" where xxx is who you're logged in as.

Then click on the "My Computer" icon, (which should be on the screen somewhere). This should open a window that has some buttons along the top. Click on the "Tools" button to pull down its menu, and select "Folder Options". In the Folder Options Window select the "View" tab. Make sure the "Show hidden files and folders" option is selected, and "ok" out of the Folder options window.

Now you should be back to the "my Computer" window. Go in "Local Disk C:", then into "Documents and Settings". One of the icons should match your user login name. Go into that. Then into "Applications Data", then into "WeatherLord", and then into "Weather Lord". There should now be a file named "profile.dat". Right click on that and select "Open With". If you're asked, select "Select Program from a List". Then there should be a list including the program "Notepad". Select that.

The text shown in Notepad should include a list of levels, with level 32 being a "-1" and level 33 being a "0". Set level 32 to "4" and level 33 to "-1", then save and exit Notepad.

posted in Weather Lord on May 4, 12 10:55 AM
I had the same problem with level 32 just showing the background, but I found a way past it.

First locate the profile.dat file. It's at:

C:\Documents and Settings\<the user login name>\Application Data\WeatherLord\WeatherLord\profile.dat

(Note that the "Application Data" folder is "hidden", so the preferences should be to show "hidden" files and folders.)

Edit this profile.dat file with Notepad. Note that level 32 is set to "-1" and level 33 is set to "0". Set level 32 to "4" and level 33 to "-1", then save and exit Notepad.

This let me skip level 32. I then had the same problem with level 36 so I did the same thing with that, and was able to finish. The skipped levels can be replayed later when Bigfish gets a new version of Weather Lord.

posted in Paradise Beach on Apr 13, 12 9:50 PM
There are 6 little buttons in the lower right corner. One of those buttons displays how green various areas are. Putting plants in red areas makes those areas greener. The more expensive the plant, the more effective it is. Try to get rid of the red areas.

I was having the same problem until I realized what that little button did.

posted in The Timebuilders: Pyramid Rising on Mar 29, 12 7:35 PM
Using the great tips in this thread, I finally finished level 39, with 39 seconds to spare. For me this level was the hardest in the game.

Here's what I did:

I removed all the piles of rocks and built a palace. When I had 4k gold I bribed the nomad at the lower right. I used the 2,500 stones to build a palace and upgraded until two palaces were at 3 and the other was at 2.

Then, when I had the money, I bribed the remaining nomads, then bought a priest, and upgraded to elephants.

Then I attacked the alligator, replaced the hut with a quarry, and bought another priest.

As soon as I had 4k gold I mined a big load of stone, and I kept mining big loads as often as I could.

When the stones started coming in, I built an Eye of ****, upgraded the palace that was still at 2, and replaced the rightmost temple with a palace, and upgraded it to 3.

Once I had over 8k stone, I built the bridge, then an Eye of ****. Note, the load of stone that put me over 8k actually put me over 9k, which means I needed just one more load of stone. The final palace will take 1,250 stone (500+150+250+350), and the Eye of **** takes 1,000 stone.

Once I got that final load, I replaced the quarry with a fully upgraded palace.

Final time: 6:21

I'm not good at this kind of frenzied clicking, and at times I was hitting the menu button every few seconds to take a breath.

posted in All My Gods on Mar 29, 12 4:00 PM
sweetfish1 wrote:no matter how hard i try i cant get the points up on the studying book to go up above 140. so i cant study anything else so i cant get any further. can anyone help?

Schools and Universities add to your max research storage. When fully upgraded, each school adds 90 and each university adds 700.

posted in Paradise Beach on Mar 29, 12 11:27 AM
The game would start on my computer, but then it wouldn't accept mouse clicks, although the mouse pointer moved around normally. Actually, I think it accepted clicks when the pointer was in a large rectangular area in the upper left, but the buttons were below that area.

I managed to get the game to run in windows mode (rather than fullscreen) by playing with the .ini file using notepad. The game worked fine. I noticed the size of the window looked the same as the size of the rectangle where the mouse worked in fullscreen mode. I suspect the game has a bug when run on a high resolution monitor. (My monitor is 1920x1200.)

BTW, the .ini file was at:
c:\Documents and Settings\(the windows login user name)\Local Settings\Application Data\Astar Games\Beach\AGameEngine.ini

Edit: Some of the folders on that path are hidden, so folder options needs to be set to show hidden files and folders in order to see them.

posted in All My Gods on Mar 21, 12 3:05 PM
GeorgeTSLC wrote:At Level 1 they're indeed pretty poor. But at Level 3, even a Market generates 5 Gold while consuming only 1 Food, far better return than selling Food--and w/o any ongoing player involvement--while a Bank produces 45 for 6.

The big limitation is area. In the same area as the market that generates 5 gold you could have a lumberjack cabin that generates 30 logs, which you can sell for 60 gold. That's 12 times better for the area used. A lumber mill makes planks that are worth 120, (but it takes a little more area, and some logs as input). The bank is better than the market, but it takes a lot of area (3x3) and it still only gives 45.

posted in All My Gods on Mar 20, 12 10:10 PM
GeorgeTSLC wrote:Each appears on the "Great architectural monuments" tab of the Buildings menu from the time it's earned until it's built, and then it permanently disappears, so you can build only one of each.

Actually, I've seen them reappear in the build menu after I destroyed the one I built. And I have been able to build more than one by starting them all before any were finished. (They stay in the build menu until one is completed.)

posted in All My Gods on Mar 20, 12 9:34 PM
You can get a strike anytime you run out of any resource that some building needs. For instance, the lumber mill uses logs, so if you don't have any there will be a strike. Or if you don't have enough wheat for the mill there will be a strike.

If you want to attempt a "reboot", you need to destroy all buildings that contribute to population. That is, worker's camps and any building that uses food (you can keep barns and taverns, as they don't contribute to population). Since you can't destroy the last worker's camp you will need to build a new one , then destroy the old one. Your population should be one. Then rebuild without destroying any more such buildings. This worked for me when I had zero production from some buildings. I've never seen the food screwup bug so I don't know if it will work with that.

However, there seems to be an "overharvesting prevention" check - if you harvest enough from anything (river, field, building) the number at the bottom becomes red, which means when the next "turn" ends, instead of gaining items, you'll lose some.
When the games is working properly, it takes food from the 4 food items in proportion to how much of each you have. So if you use the Hand of God to increase the amount of one type, the game will plan on taking more of that type and less of the other types. That's why the +/- number under the amount will decrease for a food when you increase its amount.

posted in All My Gods on Mar 20, 12 8:43 PM
meljoy444 wrote:Hi, I just started this game today. I can't figure out how to get gold, unless I use the hand of God which takes mana and I have none left?

Build a school, study "money", build a market. That activates the "market" button in that circle with the "build" and "science" buttons. Click on that to enter the market, where you can sell stuff for gold. You can use the Hand of God to make logs or planks, then sell them. This is 4 times more mana efficient than pulling gold from the mine. You can also build lumberjack cabins to generate lots of logs, and lumber mills for planks. Building barns for more storage also helps a lot, as you can then generate more than 50 logs/planks per turn.

There are buildings that are supposed to generate gold directly, but the amount they give is insignificant. After a certain quest the game will auto-sell surplus that you can't store, but the amount you get is small compared to what you get from selling manually.

posted in Virtual City 2: Paradise Resort on Mar 17, 12 11:06 AM
The game remembers the best time you had for each level, and adds them all together, including the early tutorial levels. This total time is shown in the "Hall of Fame". It needs to be better than some amount to beat the developer's time. I've heard it's about 11 hours. You can improve your time by replaying levels.

I don't think the game's description for "Big Spender" is correct. It may take more than a million, and it has to be spent *very* fast. I posted details of how I did it in the "awards help!!!!! please" thread. ( It involved using bus stops to quickly upgrade large areas of big houses.)

posted in All My Gods on Mar 15, 12 7:37 PM
I encountered several bugs.

First, the game wouldn't run on my system which had the 64 bit version of Windows XP. It complained about not having directX 8. Apparently Microsoft never fully supported all the directX 8 calls on that version of Windows. I was able to run it on my sister's system which had 32 bit Windows XP.

I encountered the bug where buildings would have a production of zero, even when fully upgraded. I suspect that destroying buildings that add to the population count may have triggered the bug. I then destroyed all such buildings (including workers camps, but not including barns and taverns). It wouldn't let me destroy the last workers camp, so I made another and destroyed the old one. I then had the population count down to one. After that I rebuilt and didn't see any sign of the bug.

There are a couple of quest bugs near the beginning. After building the first fishing hut, and after the rising population causes net food flow to drop to zero or less, (The amount of food in inventory doesn't matter), Flora gives a quest to have a certain amount of food. Also, when your population hits the cap, Mercury gives a quest to build a tavern. It's possible to avoid either or both these triggers. That prevents any new quest from being awarded that require these quests to have been done. A workaround is to avoid building a tavern or building the second fishing hut until after getting the quests.

posted in Virtual City 2: Paradise Resort on Mar 15, 12 5:51 PM
I got the big spender award.

I picked a level with several big areas and which allowed building big houses, bus stops, dumpsters, and theaters. (It was Nevada 4, which probably wasn't the best choice, but it was good enough.)

I milled up well over 3 million. I used the method of having a theater touching the same road square as a bus stop with over 80 people, and having two buses moving people, each getting $2000 per cycle. (I even cut that road square from the main road and had a separate road segment for the dump truck to access the dumpster and theater.) I had several of these money mills going for a while.

Then I deleted everything. All houses, roads, structures, trees, vehicles, etc.

I then set up a bus stop in the middle of every large area (two in a large elongated area), and marked the outside of their range by placing some dumpsters around.

I then built big houses around the bus stops as quickly as I could. First I put them near the edges within range of the dumpsters, then filled in the rest of the bus stops' areas. I got them all built before any filled with garbag. I had some fire stations and hospitals around, but there seems to be a period of time after a house is built before it can catch fire or become plagued.

I then quickly upgraded all bus stops, going around doing all of them three times.

I got the award after spending somewhat over a million, but I didn't notice exactly how much or how long it took.

I now have all the awards, including the one for getting all the others.

posted in Virtual City 2: Paradise Resort on Mar 7, 12 1:06 PM
If you don't care about time, there is an easy, sure way to win this level.

First, set up everything to do all quests except the $5,000 income. Then put a big cluster of paint factories (I used 7) near the boat dock and upgrade them. With all other quests done, route trucks from the oil derrick to each of these paint factories. Wait a while for them to accumulate oil, then quickly route trucks from these factories to the dock. With 7 fully upgraded factories and trucks, I hit $8,000. (I pressed the button to keep playing the level after the goal was hit.)

I did get it in expert time using a different method. I started the level in the usual way, except I built two paint factories and two paper factories (one set feeding the train and the other set feeding the dock). Everything was up north to keep the garbage route short, so I only needed one dump truck, and I had 15 regular trucks. That was enough trucks for everything except cloth to the airport and oil from the airport. When the plastic factory had plenty of oil, I rerouted that truck to carry cloth to the airport. I kept upgrading, and had the paint and paper factories at 2 and the sawmill at 3. I built a third paint factory and upped it to 3. When the plastic factory had enough recycles, I rerouted that truck to carry oil from the airport to the new paint factory. After completing the 10 oil quest, and with the trucks fully upgraded, I upped the paper factories to 3 stars (they had an accumulation of input waiting to process). I then took the truck that was carrying plastic and had it carry paint from the third factory to the train. That got me over $5,000 with time to spare.

Edit: I did it again with two paper factories and one each of the others. When the airport got some oils, I switched the truck that was taking oil to the plastic factory to get oil from the airport. I was then able to let it run indefinitely. It went over $5k every now and then. There was enough wood and recycles to keep both paper factories busy.

posted in Gemini Lost on Mar 7, 12 7:37 AM
More tips:

At some point in the game a cave crystal is supposed to fall from the sky onto the fishing dock. Some people have done everything else in the game they can, and the crystal has still not fallen. It always seems to fall for me after I've placed someone who likes farming on the dock to fish for an extended period of time. In one test game I did only that, and as little else as possible (I didn't even inspect the cave), and the crystal fell.

If you've finished the game and want to replay with a bigger challenge, consider trying to keep everyone alive for the trip home. It's doable, but requires a strategy that's very focused on getting to the pink flower (for the youth potion) before anyone dies of old age.

posted in Gemini Lost on Mar 7, 12 7:34 AM
Here are some tips:

When exiting to the main menu, you are given the choice pause/slow/normal. If you pause, then you won't find that everyone has died while you were away.

Everyone has a type of work they like (one of four types of work). If you put them on that type of job they will work about 2.5 times faster than someone who doesn't like that type of job.

The speed potion causes someone who doesn't like a job to work about as fast as someone who does (for a short time). It doesn't seem to do much for someone who already likes that job. There is a change profession potion that permanently changes what type of job people like.

There is a love potion that lets you marry two single adults, even if their signs are wrong. Just drop one at the altar, douse them with the potion, and drop the other on them.

Note that you can mix any potion as soon as the lab is built, as long as *you* know the recipe. (Or just experiment. The 6 ingredients have only 20 combinations.)

As people gain experience they will level 3 times. Each time they will double their effectiveness. A novice scientist gets 1 science point after a unit of effort, while a master gets 8 points. A worker putting a stone in storage adds 1 at novice level and 8 at master level. A builder gets an extra bonus, a master is worth 10 novices. Farmers don't do as well, though. They can make the crops grow faster, but their level doesn't change the value of food. A pumpkin carried to storage is always worth one food.

Experience is initially capped at zero. Four of the types of things you can buy at the science lab lift these caps. Getting these early will greatly increase productivity. Medicine doesn't help with caps, but every level adds about 10 years to lifespan. The astrology stuff is only useful for some late-game quests and should be done last.

If you're in a hurry you can give people a lift. For example, you can drop someone on a potion ingredient, wait for them to pick it up, then carry them to the potion basket. You can also carry a worker between the rock/wood pile and the storage, getting a lot of material in a short period of time. This works when harvesting pumpkins, too, but not when watering.

Go to:   

KEY:    Unread    Read    Sticky    Locked    Announcement    Moved    Moderator