Posts created by abarrett

posted in Darkness and Flame: The Dark Side on Apr 29, 18 4:08 PM
I am really disappointed to see that BFG has made the decision to close the forums. I posted less after the CCC was closed, but came to the forums almost daily to find out if there were tech issues, more puzzles in a HOPA than HOS, or to get a good feel for a game. I am not sure that I will continue with my membership, much less continue to buy games from BFG if tech issues won't be included in the main page.

A big thank you to all the Mods and CS employees that have helped everyone over the years. And thank you to all who have posted reviews, tech issues, and help in the forums.

posted in Eventide 3: Legacy of Legends on Apr 9, 18 6:53 PM
This is a pretty good SE, and on Bonus Punch Day also. Graphics were clear and bright on my computer. For a change from recent offerings, there were more HOS than puzzles, and I enjoyed the HOS. The storyline was interesting to me. I don't remember how much of the usual SE 60 minute demo time I had, but it was long enough to give me a good idea of the storyline.

posted in Immortal Love: Black Lotus Collector's Edition on Mar 22, 18 6:54 PM
I'm glad that I didn't bother with the survey. Maybe a lack of response will give BFG at least a tiny message that we want new material. Personally, I am not too happy that HOPA games are now more puzzles and less HOPA.

posted in Cubis Kingdoms Collector's Edition on Feb 6, 18 6:43 PM
This is a good, challenging Match 3 game, but not worth the price of a CE, IMO. I used to play Cubis and Cubis Gold 2 online, and I probably purchased Cubis Gold 2 way back when. As penmom36 stated, gameplay is not easy to master, especially if you really like to clear the board and earn that Elixir of Life. The graphics are a bit basic, and on the cute side. I like that you can interact a little bit with the creatures that are freed when you use the Elixir on the totem, like waking the sleeping bear, or fish jumping out of the water. I will be waiting for the SE before purchasing.

posted in Fantasy Mosaics 26: Fairytale Garden on Jan 22, 18 7:51 PM
Nothing new, nothing different. I would like to be able to choose the style of tile, a bit of animation with the items in the garden after its initial placement, or a choice of items to put in the garden and I have wanted to see something new with FM for a while now.

posted in Beyond the Invisible: Darkness Came on Jan 10, 18 7:11 PM
I agree with what NancySusan and cathybobcat posted, as this is a very unpolished and sloppy game. Dialogue and comments were in some of the worst English I have seen. If there are one or two objects incorrectly named, I can accept that, but almost every sentence in the demo had something that was incorrect. In addition, we have shadowy figures wrecking havoc on a small town. I cannot imagine how this game gets better after the demo.

I have played a couple of the previous Mortimer Beckett games and found them to be fun, but a challenge to find the fragments. For me, the challenge of finding some well-hidden fragments is still there in this new game. An added challenge is trying to figure out the puzzles without any instructions at all. I prefer more HOPA than puzzles, but will try puzzles in the demo. If I am unsure of how to solve a puzzle during the demo after about 15 seconds, I will skip it to get further in the demo. Not being able to skip puzzles quickly was not good. While the graphics are colorful and clear, they are not like previous games. The style is more like some of the popular time management titles that are not my cup of tea. There are no options for gameplay to choose, which is pretty old school. There also doesn't seem to be much in the way of extras to make this a CE. Maybe if this comes out as an SE, I might think about this game again, but as a CE, it is a no buy.

posted in The Unseen Fears: Outlive Collector's Edition on Dec 31, 17 6:13 PM
As a fantasy game, this was a good game. It took place in a contemporary time period, which was refreshing IMO, and the storyline wasn't confusing to me. Colors were bright. A couple of the puzzles in the demo were confusing, and I eventually skipped them. I did like that we didn't have to complete tasks in order to use the supernatural abilities of the detective, which otherwise would have slowed the game down. I am not really into collectables and extras anymore, so it will probably be a buy when the SE comes out.

posted in World Carnival Griddlers on Dec 13, 17 5:44 PM
I completely agree with what Valdy posted, especially when the tutorial says that you have to guess and fill in the squares. I lasted only a few minutes after completing only part of the first level and have decided to delete this game.

posted in Danse Macabre: A Lover's Pledge Collector's Edition on Dec 3, 17 8:34 AM
jennsmom wrote:I played the beta for a short time and thought it was a disjointed story with nothing appealing about it, including my job as a seamstress. Puzzles that I hate doing, although I realize they may appeal to others. Woman in peril keeps getting hung up in ropes over the stage. Didn't I just get her down from there? Directions for one puzzle were sadly lacking. Not as good as any of the previous games, at least in the beta, and I don't see from the reviews over all, that it has improved enough for me to try the demo. If a true half price sale comes up, I might consider it.

posted in Danse Macabre: A Lover's Pledge Collector's Edition on Dec 3, 17 8:32 AM
NancySusan, you have said what I was trying to say, but couldn't specifically put it into words. Thank you for your post.

posted in Danse Macabre: A Lover's Pledge Collector's Edition on Dec 2, 17 10:16 PM
I was hoping that this edition would be as good as the previous ones, but sadly, this was not the case. The storyline was confusing, my character was mistaken for a seamstress (or is that what my character actually is? I have no idea.), and there was a lot of running back and forth without doing much to progress in the game.

posted in Danse Macabre: A Lover's Pledge Collector's Edition on Dec 2, 17 9:59 PM
Yes, there is a very specific spot to get the airplane. It took me quite a few tries before I was able to get it.

posted in Spellarium 2 on Nov 27, 17 8:21 PM
I discovered the Lauraville and Cursed House series of Match 3 games about a year ago and really enjoy them, so I am happy to see Spellarium. It is not a typical M3, and for me, the challenge is to figure out the goal of each board. Spellarium is closer to Lauraville than Cursed House in that you earn coins at the end of each level in order to complete a particular task. Fortunately, there are hints to help you as different features are presented. Also, there is a book icon in the upper left of the screen that contains all the gameplay info that you will need. The sale today makes this game a definite buy, and I will be off to download the demo of the first Spellarium to try it out.

I agree with most of the other posts. This game is not true to the MCF games developed by BFG, the game is boring, and gameplay and storyline are just like most games from the current developer. I kept playing the demo hoping there would be some feature that would make it stand out from other HOPA games and bring it back up to the standards of MCF games from a couple of years ago, but I found nothing that made this game stand out from the rest of the HOPA offerings. I am really disappointed, and probably won't be buying the CE.

posted in Fantasy Mosaics 25: Wedding Ceremony on Nov 14, 17 8:32 PM
As far as Fantasy Mosaics is concerned, the only thing new about the series are the new colors available to choose from in each puzzle. Otherwise, it is the same gameplay since the 6 colors per puzzle were added. What I would like to see are at least one or two puzzles in each level that are related to the 'storyline' of the wedding. Then one of those related pictures could be used in the big wedding scene.

posted in Harrowed Halls: Hell's Thistle Collector's Edition on Oct 26, 17 6:57 PM
There certainly have been many games lately that have been 'same-old, same-old', with the missing zipper pull, and the ghost hunting app on the cell phone. I'm not looking for a game that is particularly 'jump out of my seat' spooky or creepy, just a decent storyline. There is something about this storyline that kept me interested and wanting to continue beyond the demo. This will be a buy for me.

posted in Mystery Tales: Dangerous Desires Collector's Edition on Oct 14, 17 3:50 PM
I was hoping to like the game, but the demo left me bored. There wasn't much that hasn't been done many times before. When I found an item, I could figure out where I was going to use it. I wanted to logically use a couple items to complete tasks, but, no, I had to try something else. I am also finding that devs aren't making the 'custom' mode very customizable. The most I usually can do is reduce the recharge time for hints and skipping puzzles. I would like to increase the time between sparkles on active areas/hidden object scenes.

posted in Lost Lands: Ice Spell Collector's Edition on Sep 13, 17 7:38 PM
This is an excellent adventure series, and Ice Spell doesn't disappoint. Graphics are very good, HO scenes are excellent, and the puzzles are challenging for me. The demo definitely left me wanting to know what happens next.

posted in Cursed House 4 on Sep 11, 17 8:17 PM
THE_Winnie_Wonka wrote:I'm quite disappointed. Yes, I'll still buy it, but this sticks out like a cockroach on a wedding cake when compared to previous CH titles. It's another revamped version of Laruaville. *sigh*

I'm not sure that there is anything wrong with Cursed House 4 being similar to Laruaville. I usually don't play M3 games, but I came across Laruaville a few months ago and loved the series. Seeing the comparison to Laruaville, I had to try the demo of Cursed House 4, and I am really liking it. My only negative is that I really don't care for Spot the Difference, so I will probably skip them. Overall, I really like this game.

Go to:   

KEY:    Unread    Read    Sticky    Locked    Announcement    Moved    Moderator