Posts created by whirled_peas

posted in Portal of Evil: Stolen Runes Collector's Edition on May 19, 13 1:17 PM
This game provided enough entertainment to waste a Saturday evening/Sunday morning. HOS scenes were different enough to keep me interested, not too many puzzles (which is not necessarily a good thing) and they were a little too simple, however, it didn't make my computer sound like a jet engine and that's all I required at the time. I thought the animation and voice overs were not too bad at all with no lagging between scenes. Jumping map completed a reasonably good game overall, especially for a sale weekend.

posted in Enigma Agency: The Case of Shadows Collector's Edition on Apr 28, 13 1:41 PM
I really loved this game! A jumping map would have been nice, but it was definitely easy to navigate. Not too many HOS and most were interactive - would have liked more of a certain kind that you see in the beginning (only 2 that I remember). The puzzles had a unique take and were intriguing. Very nice graphics and I really like that the whole thing doesn't happen in one place (like a house, a hospital, etc. like most games). I can't wait to play it again. Bought it without demoing based on the fabulous reviews - even without cbtx's! - and the great sale this weekend, ! Always love finding extra items (scorpions - not a spoiler - the game tells you). All in all, a really great game that lasted a long time.

posted in Fear for Sale: Nightmare Cinema Collector's Edition on Apr 20, 13 11:30 PM
Wow! What a great game! Loved all the morphing objects and different collectibles. Those made it much more fun for me. I can't wait to play the bonus chapter in the morning. Even found the HOS fun and actually forgot about the puzzle option halfway through the game! The puzzles were different and right in the middle on difficulty. It didn't make my computer sound like a jet engine either. Crisp, beautiful graphics, easy story to follow, good puzzles and actually enjoying the HOS equals a fabulous game for me! Thanks to cbtx for the great review which made me purchase it.

posted in Sweet Kingdom: Enchanted Princess on Apr 20, 13 2:33 PM
This was a fun game, but I tend to get bored with these kinds of TM games. First, I only buy TM games in which I can turn off the timer (yea, I know, not exactly the point of TM - but I find building games relaxing). This one is much like Farmer's Market, but after awhile I get a little bored and haven't finished the game as I'm really looking for something different from my TM games, I guess.

I much prefer the Be Rich series and still pop in and out of it very often (all these years later!) to play a couple of levels. I still find myself playing the levels differently which many games don't have the allowance for (to complete the level goals).

Maybe someday I'll go back and finish it but I'm a little worried that I won't remember what all I need to accomplish a cake, pie, etc.

Oh well, it provided a few day's enjoyment with a PC, so no great loss.

posted in Small Town Terrors: Pilgrim's Hook Collector's Edition on Apr 20, 13 2:26 PM
I was hoping for a direct sequel to Livingston, but I enjoyed this game very much.

With a jumping map - it made it easy to see where what should go where when and I especially appreciate all the "extras" like the search for whale bones, etc. I'm one of those that doesn't care one bit about wallpaper, artwork or music (I always turn it down right away).

Good puzzles, not too many HOS and frankly, I can't remember much else except that I really liked the game.

Definitely a re-playable game another day.

I'd quit buying ERS games as they make my computer sound like a jet engine and I found them very predictable. But - based on cbtx's review, I purchased this without a demo. I own the others and actually enjoyed the graphics and puzzles in the other Redemption Cemetary games.

This game lives up to the standards that I have - good, fun puzzles, not too hard and NOT TOO EASY! Not too many HOS and different kinds at that. Beautiful, crisp graphics and not too overly dark, as many games are these days.

I had two credits burning a hole in my pocket and don't regret using them for this fabulous CE one bit. The bonus chapter took me awhile this morning and the game used up last evening very nicely!

Also - my computer only sounded like a small jet with this game, not a supersonic transatlantic one.

Definitely a re-playable game someday. Thank you cbtx for the great review!

posted in Jewel Match 3 on Apr 10, 13 10:12 PM
I don't buy many M3 games but I've really enjoyed this one! I just finished the game for the 2nd time and look forward to playing it again. I like to go in and play a set (many boards as you get into the game) before I turn in for the night. I do not like the HOS - the items are very small and often I'll just let the hint help me finish them as I'd rather get back to the beautiful jewels (even like the "jewel" sound effects).

Definitely a keeper and will replay it again and again.

posted in Phenomenon: Meteorite Collector's Edition on Apr 10, 13 10:02 PM
I enjoyed this game but I did have some technical issues that were irritating. My first game crashed 4 times while playing and I had to reboot the computer each time. I finally reached a point (very close to the end) where I was lacking an essential part to move forward, the hint button failed to work and in searching the Strategy Guide, I found that although I'd done and found everything I needed, my inventory was empty and there was nowhere to go on the map that was active. So, I reviewed the tech issues, took BF's advice to update my graphics card and Shockwave (didn't need a Flash update) and started the game as a new player. Good thing I had a whole day to uninstall/reinstall it 3 times and play it all over again. This time the game only crashed once but I admit I handled it with kid gloves the 2nd time around.

As to the game, I enjoyed it very much. I appreciated that it wasn't the usual dark, haunted mansion/school/hospital. Puzzles were fun and HOS weren't too many.
I'd love to play it again but even after updating everything recommended, the game crashed, so it won't be first on the list to replay. And I'll think twice before purchasing any future sequels (and there will be one by all indications).

posted in The Scruffs: Return of the Duke on Apr 10, 13 9:54 PM
I was surprised to really like this game. It was a lot of fun to play in that it wasn't a dark, haunted mansion/hospital/school. I thought the characters' lines were very funny and enjoyed reading about the individual people who had the duke's relics, as they were funny and entertaining too. I usually pay no attention to story as many of them just fail to grab me. I started it again but didn't finish it right away. I feel like I can just pick it up and play it (per chapter) anytime I'm looking for something light, bright and fun.

posted in Small Town Terrors: Livingston on Apr 10, 13 9:48 PM
Wow! I really loved this game. Even played it again right away. Just the right amount of creepiness, not too many HOS and some fun adventure/puzzles to figure out. Although I rarely care about story - this one got me and was great to follow. And I LOVED the ending. While there was no hint of a sequel, I sure wish there will be one. I'd buy it right off.

posted in Dreamscapes: The Sandman on Mar 15, 13 7:46 PM
I too, like many fishies here, LOVED this game. So many beholders to find! I thought the story was very intriguing, and the graphics were great.

The best thing is that there are no HOS! YAY!!!

Here's why some fishies think the game is short (IMO) - you didn't spend 3-5 minutes in an HOS 10 to 20 times trying to find the darn feather, screwdriver, flower, corkscrew, butterfly, frog, skull, bone, and all the other same old garbage that appears in them.

Here's why I like the story so much - read the paragraph above. I actually stayed interested in the story because I didn't spend so much time away from it in an HOS over and over and over again. In most games, when I finally exit an HOS, half the time I can't remember what I was doing or where I was going. I've been playing HOS for something like 8 years now and I'm bored out of my mind with those. I do play HOS (as there's not a lot of choice) and I do enjoy some, but not most, of them.

This is my kind of game and while I've always been a loyal fishie, I must admit that I purchased the premium version somewhere else based on the rave reviews here several nights ago. This is my kinda' game and I wanted the bonus chapter! Shame on you BF for not offering it. I would have gladly paid you 13.99 for it immediately based on the rave reviews and no HOS and I'm on a budget!

I loved the entire game - different dreams equals different scenery and different things to do. I didn't even mind picking up and using the usual screwdriver, shovel, etc. Will definitely be keeping this on my desktop so I can play it again and again. I played on casual mode (too distracted by multitasking) and finished it in a little over 3 hours and the bonus chapter was about 1 to 1-1/2 hours, if my calculations are correct.

The puzzles were pretty good, although I must admit that I did skip several that I usually don't care for.

My one problem is that it made my computer sound like a jet engine.

Please BF, try to find offer more adventure games with no HOS. I will be first in line as a purchaser. Thank you Shaman! I look forward to the sequel!

posted in Sacra Terra: Angelic Night Collector's Edition on Mar 8, 13 9:13 PM
I liked this game. I thought the different portals providing diverse backgrounds and areas very nice. Not too many HOS (again, soooooo very sick of those) and the puzzles were pretty good. Overall, a fun game that I would play again.

Sorry - I just didn't care for this game. I found the graphics way too dark, everything with a red tinge to it. Not surprised I didn't find all the morphing objects, half were in complete darkness and I was surprised I got them at all, seeing as how I clicked on a tiny glint in the seeming distance. The HOS objects made me think I needed a new prescription for glasses (I don't). Interesting note was that the bonus chapter graphics were very crisp and clear, unlike the tedious (IMO) chapters of the main game. The map didn't help to show where you needed to put this thingy that you picked up to make that thingy work. Blech. Frankly, I couldn't wait for it to be over.

posted in Hallowed Legends: Ship of Bones Collector's Edition on Mar 4, 13 9:32 PM
This game was okay. It kept me occupied on a long Sunday afternoon and despite the fact that it's from Elephant, it didn't have the wow factor I've come to expect from them. I do like the finding the goblins in each screen (darn! I missed one!) but don't feel compelled to play it again to find them all. Finished the bonus game tonight and felt like I was just slogging through it. I did love the maze puzzle though - I love mazes and this was innovative. Although I turned off "special effects", it made my computer sound like a jet engine which is always a turn off for me. Sorry Elephant, maybe next one...

posted in 9: The Dark Side Of Notre Dame Collector's Edition on Feb 19, 13 8:46 PM
I know that I played the first 9 game but don't remember it (methinks I'm playing waaaayy too many of these games...).

The hints are not "hints" - they pretty much wrap it in a see-through package and give it to you, which I suppose gives one more incentive to not resort to them too easily.

The crystal to find hidden symbols is only used a couple of times throughout the game. Did the developers forget that it was an option? Weird - and the times you did use it just seemed a little random.

I, like other reviewers here, found myself picking up an object and clicking on the map, rinse, repeat.

The people looked very strange - some strange animation there.

But I really loved the voice overs, the police captain's was very well done and I did get a good afternoon's enjoyment out of the game. I think I would play it again.

posted in Chimeras: Tune of Revenge Collector's Edition on Feb 19, 13 8:32 PM
Thanks to cbtx for the fabulous review! I purchased this and 9 sight unseen based on it.

Second, thanks to BF for the great BOGOF sale. I got this and then 9 for free! Yay!

Next - to the review. I had a great time playing this game. Graphics were great, hidden objects not too difficult to get out of the way (still find HOS boring) and interesting puzzles. Voice overs were really well done. The story line was understandable and I even paid attention to this one. Always like those jumping maps too! The bonus game was worth the extra $$ and wrapped the story up nicely. Hints worked great (always multi-tasking - I sometimes forget where I am and what I'm supposed to be doing in a game). I missed one morphing pet so I suppose I'll have to play it again sometime. Best of all, the graphics didn't make my computer sound like a jet engine.

You had me at "Elephant Games".

posted in Green City on Feb 19, 13 8:14 PM
A game that looks and feels a lot like the Be Rich series (without that annoying assistant), but I do have some issues:

First, the good parts:
- The overall “green” theme and how different commercial buildings earn you money based on “green” upgrades throughout the town.
- Green upgrades earn you more income on your buildings.
- The buildings can be upgraded to not suck up power, but actually provide power back to the town, sometimes eliminating the need for a power generator.
- The “no sound” timer. No annoying ticking and it allows you to play on after time runs out. (I realize it’s a “time management” game but I find timers incredibly annoying and heart-racing. Not what I’m looking for at the end of the day. I find building games relaxing...)
- Cute “yes” button when quitting tries to move from under your pointer. Funny detail.

Now, for the bad parts (IMO):
- No sandbox option where you can build whatever you want WHEREVER you want. I’d like a level where I had to build one of everything but there’s no space allowance given to make that possible.
- Buildings and most parks cannot be rotated to fit into available space.
- The sizes of the buildings aren’t even close to the same shape. I wish they came in SLIGHTLY larger sizes as you unlock larger ones instead of massively different sizes and shapes.
- Banks are the same size as the largest building complex? Come on! Really? So it has to be an either/or instead of both (except on one level). Annoying.
- You cannot demolish all those extraneous streets and sidewalks to allow yourself more space to have fun building. How “green” is a city with all that concrete and those cars driving around?
- The areas provided to build in are extremely limiting. Most times you can only build what is required for that level in only one spot or in one block. I find this extremely frustrating and it does not allow for fun AND DIFFERENT replays of the same level. If you have to do it the same way every time, it gets boring very fast once you’ve figured out how to accomplish the goals for that level. Give me some elbow room!

Overall, I did like the game more than dislike it (even though I had more of those above – many of those items stem from just not being provided enough space to actually PLAY). I’ve now replayed some of the higher levels a couple of times and I’m getting bored. I’d rather go back to the Be Rich series (my absolute favorite) where I have more choices.

posted in Green City on Feb 15, 13 7:21 PM
I too had the issue with the fountain. The vet clinic posed a problem until I accidentally closed the "building" menu then it worked just fine as I had a really clear shot at it. I just submitted a Felix report but will try the uninstall/install method and hope it works! Great game!

posted in Otherworld: Omens of Summer Collector's Edition on Feb 8, 13 12:44 PM
I really enjoyed this game. I didn't realize until I'd demoed it that it was a sequel. I remember playing the first 2 or 3 times as I loved that one too. This one had very few HOS (YAY!) and very intriguing and different puzzles (double YAY!) Also, what HOS there were, were interactive in a fun way. The game played smoothly and was a long game (this was good as I had an entire evening to kill). Played all but bonus chapter in just under 6 hours (and won an achievement for that). Played the bonus chapter this morning - it simply continues the story but doesn't wrap it up so there seems that there will be another sequel. Also, if anyone is weighing CE vs. waiting for SE - there's your info.

Thanks to cbtx for a great review - I count on yours as we definitely like the same sorts of games.

posted in The Mirror Mysteries: Forgotten Kingdoms on Feb 4, 13 12:06 AM
I was surprised to like this game so much. The mechanics of it were not great, but I enjoyed the FROG searches and the puzzles were very different (not that there were a lot). It was beautiful to look at and I really enjoyed the train station videos - they were funny and quite different for these sorts of games! The hint system worked great in that it showed you which way to go - not that nasty "nothing to do here". Frankly, I was glad it was short. I don't always have that much time in the evening and don't want to spend hours and hours hunched over my screen. I sat back, put in a movie (always multi-tasking) and played the games. I'm so glad it's not a CE as I was able to use a pcc on it. Since I somehow missed the first one - I used a pcc for it too and played it first. Overall very enjoyable games. I look forward to playing it again.

Go to:   

KEY:    Unread    Read    Sticky    Locked    Announcement    Moved    Moderator