Posts created by phatkhat

posted in Kingdom of Aurelia: Mystery of the Poisoned Dagger on Oct 17, 16 7:54 PM
Thanks for that! I loved Iron Lord. I will definitely have to play this one!

posted in Rainbow Mosaics: Treasure Trip on May 31, 16 11:41 PM
I agree about the colors of the numbers on the backgrounds. I made a lot of mistakes because I just missed numbers that blended into the background.

I wish developers would give us the option to play with a PLAIN background. The art is nice, but when it detracts from playing the game, I'd rather shut it off. Same with nonograms with animations in the background.

I'd also like it if the developers would offer the games with a relaxed mode that let you make unlimited mistakes. Let US decide if we want a challenge or not. I hate it when I make a silly mistake - like marking in the wrong column or row, and have to start over. I really don't care about the achievements at all, I play for the fun and brain exercise.

Hello, Developers! Are you listening???

posted in Sliders and Other Square Jigsaw Puzzles on Apr 5, 16 9:14 AM
Are these timed like Clutter? I like the concept of the Clutter games, but don't much care for playing them because of the timers. But puzzles are my thing - hidden objects not much, so if these aren't timed, it will be a buy. The puzzles were always the best part of Clutter, anyhow.

posted in Stranded in Time on Feb 16, 15 10:39 AM
I posted a review on the game page. I was intrigued by the idea that here was an ADVENTURE game without HOS. And, being an old adventure player from waaaaay back, I decided to try it.

I like it. I don't love it, but I really like it.

Yes, it is really retro. But that's okay. Everything doesn't have to be like the latest cookie cutter output from the usual culprits - including furry helpers, super-saturated color schemes, and missing relatives. Not to mention glowing neon blue eyes, swirling black villains, and too much hand-holding.

I don't get the reviewers that play for ten - or two - minutes and say there is no story. There is a story, and it is interesting and fairly original, but you have to read the abundant dialog and play for a bit before it unfolds. Kind of like the old days of text-driven games. The localization is pretty bad, but it makes the conversation funny in an unintended way, LOL.

And yes, you are unceremoniously dumped into the game and let to figure out what to do. It's an ADVENTURE game, not a HOG, and that is what you do in adventure games. (This is one big gripe I have about BFG - I wish they had better categories.)

The art is cartoony, yes. But it is well done, clear, and doesn't make your eyes hurt. Scenes are straightforward, and when you are looking for stuff, there are no junkpiles. (No HOS, but there are things to find for your inventory.)

There IS a lot of reading, but you can go as fast or slow as you like, and - YES!! - you can scroll backwards and re-read if you miss something. Better no voiceovers than bad ones!

There is a task list if you need to see what you are supposed to do next. There is a journal, but I didn't find it particularly useful. No map, but the game is pretty linear, and you won't need it. The hint button will tell you where to go next. I used it once. You will find that there are some blind alleys in the game - you will be looking for something you do not need a time or two... The hint can come in handy to let you know that you are at a dead end side alley.

There are mini-games. Some are quite easy, some not so much, but none are actually difficult. At least not in the demo. They are the usual fare, nothing original, but still fun.

It's not earth-shattering. It's not great. But it's a good solid game, fun and not overly taxing to play. Good story, pleasant to look at, and a refreshing change from the cliche'd tripe that we are getting every weekend.

Good job, Devs!

posted in Dark Dimensions: Homecoming Collector's Edition on Feb 12, 15 1:07 PM
didersham wrote:Have any of you tried The Emptiness yet? It was a soft release last week and is different and challenging. I did not know if I would like it at first, but I stuck with it and I could not stop playing. I have not felt that way about a game that came out in a loooong time! It is getting great reviews!

Thanks for reminding me! I thought it looked promising, but had other stuff to do and forgot about it. (Senior moments and all... ) I will definitely give it a try. I know some of the initial reviews were great and some really panned it - no middle ground. Those games usually end up being good games.

posted in Dark Dimensions: Homecoming Collector's Edition on Feb 12, 15 1:00 PM
There is ONE thing that will make me go for the CE over the SE, and that is extended play time. I don't use wallpapers, care little about the sketches, and don't like the achievements. Soundtrack is a nice extra if the music is good - most of it not so much.

posted in Dark Dimensions: Homecoming Collector's Edition on Feb 12, 15 10:03 AM
mhatfie wrote:I use to buy practically every CE that came out because they were that good, but these days I'm lucky if I buy one a week because they seem to be just carbon copies of one another. I think Devs are losing their creativity.

I think the Devs are being squeezed to pump out games faster than they can do it and still make good games. Quantity over quality. This has been going on for some time, now, IMHO. Cookie cutter games, one after the other. I remember the days when one, maybe two new games a week came out, but they were well done. I think that might be a better route.

To be honest, I haven't tried this game, and probably won't - unless there is a BOGO or it becomes a DD. The reviews do nothing to encourage me to try it. I've had my fill of furry helpers, unrealistic color schemes, easy puzzles and frou-frou that does nothing to advance the game.

posted in Dark Dimensions: Homecoming Collector's Edition on Feb 12, 15 9:39 AM
No, Dider, you are NOT the only one that feels that way. A very few helpers have been okay - usually the mechanical birds, etc., that do not need rooms, clothes, names, food, etc. To me, putting that in an adult, creepy game is insulting. Maybe it is for comic relief, but as a person who plays and enjoys thrillers like Scratches, the games worth buying are few and far between.

And yes, they are way dumbed down, too. They USED to be challenging, but either I've played too many of them, or they ain't what they used to be. The games that got me to join BFG, back in 2007, were Azada 1 and Dream Chronicles I. Those were excellent games, and filled with challenging puzzles. (Bonus: Azada had NO HOS!)

Frankly, for me, I hate the achievements. They are annoying and disrupt the mood of the game. I wish developers would give the option of turning them OFF. I wish you could play withOUT the stupid "helpers" as an option. (Or at least de-animate them unless you actually want to use them.)

I find myself nowadays buying games from core sites, because there are a few adventure games being made again. Here, I buy a few HOPAs - the ones without helpers, LOL - and mostly puzzle games. Love the nonograms.

I see that there are lots more TMs, RPGs and M3s offered now, and fewer HOGs. I'm hoping that they will throw in some uncute adventures, too.

posted in The Emptiness on Jan 29, 15 11:41 PM
OBDUCTION is coming out on BF???? Wow. Things MUST be changing! That is one I am truly awaiting anxiously, being a great fan of Myst... They had a Kickstarter campaign to get it funded, and it funded really fast. Lots of us Myst junkies out there.

The Emptiness
is put out by Hooligans, the same devs who did Green Moon and City of Fools - and that may explain the big difference in gameplay. They are more like "indie" devs, and not like the cookie cutter usual fare.

I was also excited to see Green Moon II and City of Fools 2 in the works! Yes!!! I have just about quit buying anything but picross, because I am sick of cutesy helpers, hidden object scenes, and watered down easy puzzles.

I don't think this game is going to be Amnesia - or even Scratches - but I'm downloading now, and can't wait to play. I suffer from depression, but I love dark and scary, so what the heck?!

I must say, the new game pages are going to take some getting used to, but maybe we will get more "adult-oriented" games. I hope so.

posted in Claws & Feathers on Sep 18, 14 4:23 PM
I just used a PCC on this - and I NEVER use PCCs except on Monday. Totally addictive game! Wow!

I do not get the complaints about the timer. Most levels are not timed, you can plan your moves and take all the time you want. On the timed levels, if you don't make the time, you simply get a silver instead of gold egg. You can move on to the next level.

This reminds me of Harvest Mania, only much more fun, and more strategic. (I think in HM, the veggies sprout whether you make a match or not.)

The only thing I would suggest to the devs is to do a tutorial in the beginning that explains how the eggs hatch, how to capture the cats, etc. Then the level tutorials that show you new factors.

This is different, challenging, and a ton of fun! I'm not a big fan of M3s, but this really isn't one. It involves matching, but not the typical mindless clicking.

posted in Word Explorer on Sep 18, 14 1:36 AM
Well, it doesn't work for me at all. Nor for a lot of other people, as is clear on the tech thread. I'm not going to bother trying to redownload. Not worth it. There are plenty of word games where Word Whomp comes from.

posted in Word Explorer on Sep 18, 14 1:32 AM
I have the same problem as everyone else. I'm running Win 7 64-bit. I usually don't have problems with games. This one took FOREVER to DL, the installation failed the first time, it crashed the computer, and then it wouldn't play. Forget it. The music is enough to drive me nuts, too.

F-A-I-L. That's my word for this "game".

posted in Bomb the Monsters! on Aug 7, 14 8:37 AM
Well, doh! Thanks!! I tried everything except dragging the screen. There REALLY needs to be an arrow, like there is to move back, and put the play movies button somewhere else.

Are you listening, Devs? Otherwise, it is quite clever, and very enjoyable for those of us who like this type of puzzle. And it's getting harder quickly...

posted in Bomb the Monsters! on Aug 6, 14 4:56 PM
I played less than the hour, finished the first location with all golds, and STILL can't see where to move on to the next location. Is the demo only the first chapter, or am I running into a glitch? I really like this game, but want to make sure I can progress if I buy it. (My computer is more than adequate, according to the requirements.)

posted in Awakening Kingdoms on May 8, 14 7:27 PM
Got an email that said if I downloaded and tried the game, I'd get a coupon this week good for 60% off a game of my choice. So I downloaded and played a bit, but now it's the end of the week, and no coupon.

I'm no fan of F2P games, and not crazy about this one - though I love the Awakening regular games. It's too easy. I only got it for the coupon, and now no coupon. Not a happy camper.

Anyone else have a problem?

posted in Witch's Pranks: Frog's Fortune on May 7, 14 11:20 AM
Very interesting. I DL'd the "Premium Edition" to try. The illustration of the game title page said... COLLECTOR'S Edition. So it WAS supposed to be a CE. There is a bonus chapter and the usual extras (screenshots, wallpapers, music, concept art), and "Extras" is on the rock at the right. But there is no trophy in a bubble for achievements. Hmm. Odd. I have lots of coins there, so will just buy the premium game over there. Why not?

BFG, you stepped in it on this one!

posted in Deponia: The Puzzle on May 1, 14 9:21 PM
AliKat611 wrote:Wish this had some kind of story with it. It's just a bunch of bizarre pictures that make no logical sense because there's no backstory at all.

The puzzle pictures are screenshots from Deponia, which is an adventure game. If you have played the adventures, you will know the backstory. But it is a little strange to just drop this game out there with no explanation on a site that doesn't sell the original Deponia adventures.

Did the beta for this one, and was pretty impressed. The opening cutscene was outstanding, and the game is decently challenging, unlike Forsaken Bride, which I gave a pass as too easy. (Just tested the sequel which is MUCH better!)

This pirate series is really fun, and this will be a definite buy for me!

posted in Archie: Riverdale Rescue on Feb 18, 14 1:08 AM
I hear ya. I saw this, and then, what??? ANOTHER F2P so soon? Nope. Not even gonna try it.

posted in World Mosaics Chroma on Feb 17, 14 10:59 AM
The print screen button doesn't work. I used it in the other Mosaic games to see where I was but this one won't let me copy the screen.

If your version of Windows has the "snipping tool", you can use it to capture the screens. Me, I'm not going to that much trouble. I'm just playing WM7 some more, LOL.

And I'm not sure Fugazo is totally to blame. I firmly suspect that BFG is demanding that developers make these games.

I'd be happier with fewer sales, regular decent prices and games, and NO F2P... er... $$$2P games. BFG seems to be subsidizing their "bargains" with these horrible money pits called F2P, and no, I'll never stop griping about them.

Go to:   

KEY:    Unread    Read    Sticky    Locked    Announcement    Moved    Moderator