Posts created by sinshack

posted in Borgia: Faith and Fear on Jul 28, 13 1:23 AM
It was driving me nuts trying to remember the name of the game that I wrote a walk-through for. It's "The Revenge," and it was a great game - but extremely frustrating without a walkthrough.

posted in Borgia: Faith and Fear on Jul 28, 13 12:34 AM
Sorry it took so long to answer, but I'm just getting around to playing this game.

No, walkthroughs aren't written by volunteers. Big Fish has a paid staff to write them, and occasionally the game developer provides a walkthrough. If neither BF or the developer makes one, sometimes other fishies will do it, especially in a game that seems to stump a lot of people in several places throughout the game.

I ended up posting a walkthrough a couple of years ago, but it does take a lot of time. First you need to work your way through the game yourself, then replay it and take notes, then write it out clear enough for others to follow. In my first time through that game (and I wish I could remember the name of it) I relied heavily on the forum and other fishies to get through - sometimes just one person manages to figure out a puzzle, posts it, and it allows others to continue on. If it weren't for the others posting their solutions, I never would have made it through that game - and it was well worth playing. A few days after I posted my walkthrough, BF published theirs - and it was much better because they were able to include screen shots.

posted in Break the Curse: The Crimson Gems on Dec 24, 12 6:20 AM
That was my main complaint when I did the beta a couple of weeks ago - there is spoken dialog sometimes, but most of the time what you would expect to be spoken (like some instructions) is written in a banner right above the inventory. I didn't expect it to be written there above the inventory box, and my eyes were focused above at the scenes, so I missed quite a bit of the written dialog until I got the hang of it.

Other than that, it was a very enjoyable game and it's on my "Gonna Buy" list (as soon as I check the balances on those credit cards!!)

posted in Break the Curse: The Crimson Gems on Dec 24, 12 6:16 AM
I played it as a Beta a couple of weeks ago, so it's possible that you played it as a Beta.

ty1220 wrote:I am having the same problem as chickadee. The spirit drawing that matches the baseball card album on the boy's bed refuses to match. I have tried umpteen times, and with moving it all around slightly to no avail. I also agree that, for this game I am not going to waste any more time on it. I found this game to be a huge dissapointment after the previous MCF games. I understand that you can never make everyone happy, and that this game was a move in a different direction. I respect that, I sure just don't care for this game.

Sometimes you have to put something BACK into the scene before the spirit picture matches. For the baseball card collection, did you put back the missing card? For the test tubes in the rack of the coroner's office, did you put back the test tubes in the proper order, as well as the radio? For the sandbox, you need to build all 3 sandcastles, put on the flag, and the army man. Those are the ones I can think of right now.

posted in Witch Hunters: Stolen Beauty Collector`s Edition on Aug 21, 12 4:39 PM
secondroe wrote:When I found out where the bonus game was, I reopened the game to get to it and it started over. so now I have to redo the whole game to get to the bonus game. May not be worth it this time.

You don't need to start over. Just go back to the main menu, click on the SG to get to the bonus game, and play it.

posted in Witch Hunters: Stolen Beauty Collector`s Edition on Aug 21, 12 4:37 PM
SPOILER ALERT!!

I did the same thing you are doing, but there is a simple solution. They don't go in the door - back out, and click on the floor in front of the door.

posted in Witch Hunters: Stolen Beauty Collector`s Edition on Aug 21, 12 5:45 AM
ladywuf wrote:
tblair wrote:i am in the room where i need to use or find the crystals but my game has froze, can't use hint , strategy guide or click on menu to get out of game. i even unistalled and reinstalled and no such luck onit working

I'm at the same point in the game..still have my potion but cannot leave room to find the needed crystals to finish

At this point you won't be leaving the room in the usual way (by going toward an edge) but going toward each of the girls. Hover your cursor around each of the girls one at a time and click it when the cursor changes, and you will enter the areas where you will find the crystals.

posted in Witch Hunters: Stolen Beauty Collector`s Edition on Aug 20, 12 6:00 PM
I had no problems at all - until I got to the bonus game! When I jumped down into the grave, all I got was a blackbackground with a large dark brown patch in the middle - lookslike a tile or perhaps the dirt in the bottom of the grave, but I can't go forward or backward, can't get the hint to work, none of the powers or inventory items help, and no matter where I put my cursor on the screen it stays the same. All I can do is shut the game down, which I tried a couple of times already - but when I launch the game again and go back into the bonus game, I am stuck in the same place.

posted in Witch Hunters: Stolen Beauty Collector`s Edition on Aug 20, 12 4:55 PM
Me, too! Totally stuck, no way backward or forward. Even the Hint button won't work, and the SG just says to move forward - I would if I could!

Anybody have a solution???

posted in Witch Hunters: Stolen Beauty Collector`s Edition on Aug 20, 12 4:51 PM
Use the hints and follow the arrows. I can't remember exactly where it is, but the room looks like an attic

posted in Criminal Stories: Presumed Partners on Aug 13, 12 4:12 AM
"A rose by any other name would smell as sweet."

Well, an HdO by any other name would smell . . .not sweet. The swooping motion of the scrolling had me dizzy within seconds, so I just hit the exit button rather than look for the symbol that I would hope turns off the scrolling.

This may be an improvement over other games, but I can't get past the clunky gameplay and controls long enough to find out. Sorry, but this game just wasn't for me.

posted in A Vampire Tale on Jul 5, 12 4:03 AM
tdcwilliams wrote:I downloaded it to play and it tells me that the trial has expired when I haven't played it yet UNLESS it was really released in April. And I don't own a MAC.

This is a common problem with some games, and it's not because you already downloaded and played it.

1) Uninstall and reinstall the demo, and try to play again. If that doesn't work,
2) Uninstall and reinstall your Game Manager

Those two actions will nearly always fix the problem. If not, contact Customer Support by clicking on the green envelope in the right hand column, and they will help you fix it so you can play the demo.

posted in Inspector Magnusson: Murder on the Titanic on Jul 3, 12 9:18 AM
Which puzzle? We can help if we know which one, but this isn't enough information for us to be able to help. Or you can read through the existing threads to see if your question has already been answered.

Also, it's NEVER a good idea to put your personal email on a public forum. In the right hand column, under your screen name, is a "My Messages" link. Ask someone to send you a PM (Personal Message) and look for a reply there - if there is a PM there will be a number next to the My Messages link.

posted in Pride & Prejudice: Hidden Anthologies on Jun 30, 12 4:22 AM
I'm stuck, too. I've found one cup, but it looks like I need one more. I've checked the living room, kitchen, dining room, and girls' room with no luck. And "Father" is useless right now - he just keeps saying he doesn't know what to do and to ask him again later. Actually, I was kind of surprised he didn't say "Go ask your mother" but now I can't find her, either!

posted in Flux Family Secrets: The Book of Oracles on Jun 30, 12 3:38 AM
I was wondering the same thing - what happened to a CE?? Not that I mind saving money, but I really love this series and don't mind paying more for a high quality game. I must admit that my reaction was "Oh, no!!" when I read the description on the purchase page and it said this will be the final game in the series!! It's one of the series I really hate to see end, so I hope the developers have something just as fun waiting to release next.

I, too, will be waiting until tomorrow to purchase. I had my punch card filled, got 4 CEs with the members-only sale, so I still have full punch cards and it's the last day of the month. I downloaded it right away, and I'll play the demo tonight and purchase it first thing in the morning and keep right on playing!

What a great game! I especially love the hint system, which is so good I doubt I will need the Strategy Guide at all, unless I have a problem with a puzzle. Great graphics, interactive HO scenes, interesting storyline. I was shocked when the demo ended - it felt like I'd only been playing about 15 minutes!

I bought it with two of the half-price credits my kids got me for Mother's Day (thank you, BFG for that great sale!) I just heard the "it's done activiating" chime, so I'm off to play again!

posted in Eastville Chronicles: The Drama Queen Murder on Jun 9, 12 4:45 AM
This is a good example of a game you need to try for yourself. Some of you will absolutely hate it, some will really like it. To give it a fair chance, though, the FIRST thing you need to do is turn the music down to about 1% and sound down to 2% in the options menu. Maybe because I didn't get much sleep, but that is the most annoying "you found it" chime I've heard in a long, long time.

This is a HOPA-light, meaning it is very linear and heavy on the HO scenes, but you do accumulate and use inventory. The graphics are great, very sharp and clear, but the items are mostly very small, which will really annoy a lot of gamers. I managed to play for 45 minutes without using a single hint, so the items are not impossible to find - you just need to be very patient. The items might be small but they are very recognizable and not hidden (at least in the 45 minutes I played.)

The game completely filled my widescreen monitor with no changes by me, which I really liked, but it seemed to cut off a bit at the top, maybe a quarter to half an inch, so it was hard to see the tag to click to return to the main menu. I don't think that is always available, either - I didn't even see the edge of it when I was reading the dialog boxes. And yes, there are a lot of dialog boxes, but they are skippable. If you want the story, though, you need to read the dialogs.

This will be a buy for me - the story is interesting, the graphics are very good for an SE, and it looks like it has a decent lenght to make it well worth a punch card credit for me. I probably wouldn't pay full SE price if I didn't have a punch card credit ready, but I'd certainly leave it in my Game Manager to buy the next time I had one available.

So try it yourself - just remember to turn the sound down!!! You can always turn it back up if you got more sleep than I did last night so it doesn't annoy you.

ETA I ran into several puzzles during the demo. They included rewiring, "picking" a lock, and a slider puzzle. I was able to complete them all without skipping, but they weren't so easy that I was done in seconds, either.

And the invenory wasn't "find it use it, find it use it" like a lot of the SEs.

posted in Eastville Chronicles: The Drama Queen Murder on Jun 9, 12 3:38 AM
As always, the key to look for is the Walkthrough - if there isn't one, the Adventure aspects are minimal at best. That doesn't necessarily make this a bad game, just not the kind of game you like. I'm downloading now and I'll review in that thread.

posted in Time Chronicles: The Missing Mona Lisa on Jun 5, 12 5:04 AM
I find it interesting that the first person to give this game a positive review was immediately "jumped on" and told that people have the right to give a negative review! Sorry, but people also have the right to give a positive review! Those of us who give a positive review don't take it as a personal insult that other players don't like the game, we just have different tastes.

Always try for yourself, then give a negative or positive review but please don't get upset if everyone doesn't agree with you.

This game is a straight HOG, and doesn't advertise as being anything else. As a straight HOG it's not too bad, it just doesn't have the interesting storyline that HOPAs have. It's pretty easy to tell on the download page whether a game is likely to be a simple HOG, because those do not have Walkthroughs. Simple HOGs are NOT for everyone, but some of us do appreciate them as an alternative to the double-priced CEs.

I played 55 minutes, and only stopped then because I try not to run the demo time completely out - I've had a few issues on other games in the past, where they lock and you need to uninstall and reinstall if you've used the entire demo. So my review is based on nearly the entire demo.

I only found two items early in the demo that I had trouble clicking on the "sweet spot" so either I got lucky or the further you played, the less problems there were with small click zones. I do agree that there were two red helmets, but I can't understand the problem a lot of people seemed to have with the cameras - yes, there were several cameras in the first scene, but the two that were asked for in my list were a Brownie camera, which is a plain box camera, and a 35MM SLR, both of which were easily distinguished from the other cameras in the scene. About a half hour into the demo there was another scene with several cameras on the list, but again they were identified as a bellows camera, black camera, etc. and were easily distinguished from the other cameras in the scene.

For a straight HOG this isn't bad, but not as great as the Amazing Adventure series - in my opinion, nobody beats **** for straight HOGs. If you take your time you shouldn't need the hint too often, but there are a few very tiny objects in most lists. I personally hate timers, but this one is very generous so I managed to get the Gold star on every level I played.

IF you like straight HOGs, give it a try. If you prefer the Adventure aspects of a HOPA, you'll probably hate this game.

Go to:   

KEY:    Unread    Read    Sticky    Locked    Announcement    Moved    Moderator