Posts created by textrekkie

posted in Sable Maze: Sullivan River Collector's Edition on Sep 30, 12 4:47 AM
Based on the demo...

I totally agree with gmac's most excellent review. The game is quite interesting, the puzzles offer variety and some uniqueness, but overall a very good game if you like them dark.

This developer is known to us for their Dark Dimension series (City of Fog, Wax Beauty).

posted in Sable Maze: Sullivan River Collector's Edition on Sep 30, 12 4:34 AM
For those of you wondering, this developer did the Dark Dimensions series (Wax Beauty, City of Fog)

I do agree that the graphics and FX are stunning. However, once again, it's one step forward and two steps back so far as game mechanics are concerned.

Strategy Guide not available during demo? This isn't tolerated from any developer.

Morphing Objects - Are useless for players in Hard Mode, as they only provide hints and players in hard mode don't have hints - so why bother looking for them.

Hard Mode - The description states that there are no hints and no puzzle skips. You can use the objectives, but you can't use the map. There are still lots of text hints.

Normal mode states that sparkles 'occasionally' illuminate areas of interest - why?

I'm on the fence about this. It just kills me to see a Blue Tea game like this.

posted in Gothic Fiction: Dark Saga Collector's Edition on Aug 31, 12 7:10 AM
If you feel that the game is not what you were expecting, you can request a refund from Customer Service.

posted in Gothic Fiction: Dark Saga Collector's Edition on Aug 30, 12 8:09 AM
Based on the demo version of the game:

Both wide screen and fullscreen modes worked on my 32" PC monitor. And I do want to note that in the demo version, all the extras were unlocked.

This is NOT an iHOPA (Hidden Object Puzzle Adventure) as the game description states. (not developer's fault.) It is an Adventure lite, meaning it has puzzles (the most frustrating part of which are finding the pieces - solving the puzzles is easy), and there is lots of wandering around and there are inventory items to find. 'Inventory items' do not carry the same connotation as hidden objects. (Adventure games have inventory items and puzzles, yet they are not considered hidden object games. Whoever classifies games at BFG, please take note.)

Playing in the hardest mode - I finished the demo version in 35 minutes using no hints, no skips and no strategy guide.

And while I normally applaud any game by this developer with no HOS, I can't remember a time when I've been less interested in playing one. It just didn't shine for me in any way - it just flatlined.

posted in Gothic Fiction: Dark Saga Collector's Edition on Aug 30, 12 7:48 AM
Sorry bella - I just did the demo - and that only took me 35 minutes playing in the hardest mode.

I'm not going any further, even if it is on sale.

For the people who purchased with the belief it was an iHOG - contact CS and request a refund.

posted in Gothic Fiction: Dark Saga Collector's Edition on Aug 30, 12 6:30 AM
One has to wonder if the reason it's on sale right off the bat is because people are going to complain about the length of the game - as usual...

However, I haven't seen anyone mention that you can access the extras even in the demo version...they aren't locked! Music, wallpaper, screensaver - all are available.

And I have no problem with either widescreen or fullscreen mode selections.

posted in Awakening: The Skyward Castle Collector's Edition on Aug 26, 12 3:16 PM
If the vines look dried, always use your pocked dragon to burn them away! He's very handy.

Also, don't forget - you have a strategy guide you can look to if you get stuck!

posted in Inbetween Land on Aug 26, 12 3:10 PM
Wow - what a great game. The story was unique, the graphics were great, the gameplay was very smooth (with the exception of the slider puzzler - and if you held the left mouse button down and then moved the mouse on the mouse pad, it worked fine, but granted, it was different from how you typically have to move blocks on sliders), the puzzles were delightful and only a couple were really difficult. I think the developer did a great job and this game is a definite gem.

I want to add that there are no occult/demonic/witchy things happening in the game. It is very science oriented.

The game took me 3.75 hours playing in expert mode using no hints and no skips (which is a better time than I get from most CEs). And yes, I got all the achievements.

I give the game 5 out of 5 stars because I think it is the probably the most fun and original game I've seen this year.

posted in Inbetween Land on Aug 26, 12 11:04 AM
Wow, what a unique and refreshing game! I'm loving it - the fact that it's a FROG, the graphics are great, the different story elements - they all combine to make it very special.

For people having trouble with the slider puzzle, I held down the left mouse key and moved my mouse up, down, left or right on the mouse pad and the blocks moved fine for me. (yeah, it's different for a puzzle of this type, but it worked.)

And as an FYI - there are no occult/demonic/witchy things in the game. The game is very science and machine oriented.

posted in Awakening: The Skyward Castle Collector's Edition on Aug 23, 12 3:31 PM
I think it's brilliant and probably the best of the series. I'm playing in the hardest mode and love the original puzzles and how there are no instructions for them as It adds another element of fun figuring out what to do to solve them. And no Goblin Jong or other card games (yeah!!) And I'm truly enjoying the nonograms.

I'm not experiencing any long "blackouts" that others are reporting, so I can't speak to those. I'm just blown away with everything in the game - I think it's perfect!

posted in Awakening: The Skyward Castle Collector's Edition on Aug 23, 12 3:49 AM
LOL - This dev is always an auto-buy for me, as well. Can't wait to see how it ends...although I'm sure it's happily ever after!

posted in Lost Inca Prophecy 2: The Hollow Island on Aug 22, 12 6:54 PM
slimjims36 wrote:Five easy lessons in how to destroy a sequel:

1. Make the player as seasick as possible
xxxxxx(move the board all over the place)
2. Assume the player is an absolute moron
xxxxxxx(show an available match in less than 2.5 seconds)
3. Remove any satisfaction from player clearing all the tiles
xxxxxto win level
xxxxxxx(pop up a key to open lock to end level after
xxxxxxx random number of tiles are cleared rather than all)
4. Frustrate player as much as possible
xxxxxxx(move the board away from areas where points can be
xxxxxxxxmade because player doesn't match in immediate
xxxxxxx area or move away from lock to end level)
5: Hope the player didn't play the first Inca game so they won't
xxxxx know just how bad this one is.

It's a real shame. The graphics and music and everything else could be the best and it wouldn't matter. I'm too nauseous for it to matter. Excuse me, I have to go find a barf bag.

Excellent review, slimjims. IMHO, moving the board around is an incredibly lazy way to make a game more challenging.

posted in Shop-n-Spree: Shopping Paradise on Aug 21, 12 7:36 AM
Woo Woo - it's finally here!!!

posted in Dream Builder: Amusement Park on Aug 20, 12 10:28 AM
If a game locks up/fails when one doesn't follow a given path or fails to make a stated goal, or allows a user to attempt a goal without the required resources, that is a BUG. It means the code is flawed and either does too much or not enough checking to allow for possible options.

If the problem can be recreated by performing the same action again, with another profile, that pretty much proves the point.

posted in The Wizard's Pen on Aug 11, 12 9:20 AM
gailssong wrote:I WANT MY MONEY BACK, I TOO AM ANGRY THAT AFTER THE DEMO IT STARTED ME ALL OVER AGAIN, I GOT TO ABOUT 6 SKETCHBOOK AND DONT WANT TO START ALL OVER AGAIN. I THOUGHT THIS WOULD BE A DIFFERENT GAME.BUT IF I HAVE TO START ALL OVER AGAIN EVERYTIME I SIGN OUT. I WANT MY MONEY BACK EVEN THO IT WAS ONLY 3,99. Shame on POPCAP this time it isnt BF;s fault.
too bad it was fun while it lasted and would have liked to see how it ended.

Calm down, okay? If the game is not working for you, just contact CS and they will take care of you. However, if you are running Win7, you may want to try running the game in compatibility mode, first, just to see if that makes a difference, since it is an older game.

I didn't spot any original mini-games...there were a few that have been dusted off, as they haven't been used in awhile, but they were all classic and easy.

This isn't their first game...although it is their first iHOPA. This developer did the very successful Season Match - Match 3 series of games. I believe there are 3 games in that series.

posted in Syberia - Part 2 on Jul 24, 12 5:23 AM
I looked extensively at Part 1 and noted vast amounts of scenery cuts. These cuts greatly reduce the file size and limit the beautiful graphics enjoyed by most when traveling about in the original game.

I didn't purchase part 1 (only demoed on 2 different computers) so I couldn't do an in-depth comparison, but it also seemed that some of the minor conversations and tasks were eliminated.

For people who have never played the game, they won't miss them. However, if you've played the game before and are considering the new series as an upgrade, I think you will be disappointed.

People who are new to classic Adventure games might now buy Syberia as it is a classic adventure game that has withstood time and is beautifullly done. The fact that it has been "redone" and split up does technically make it a new game. Many people who could not play the older version before may now be able to play the new version and enjoy it. And the fact that there is no mobile platform version in the US, doesn't mean there won't be in the future. The catalog owner is all about mobile platform versions of games and in Europe, mobile platform gaming has been a very strong market for quite awhile.

I'm not enamored of a classic game being chopped up and remarketed - especially the way it has been done in the past by this catalog owner; however, if all the parts of this game are edited in the same manner as the first part, then at least the core integrity of the game will still stand.

posted in Fierce Tales: The Dog's Heart Collector's Edition on Jun 28, 12 7:36 AM
Good Morning, BlamGames!

Ever since The Keepers: Lost Progeny, I've been anticipating your second game.

I've only played the demo thus far for Fierce Tales but wanted to offer my feedback for the overall game:

Bonus material should be unlocked when the game is purchased, with the exception of the bonus play. Once someone purchases a game, they have a right to the wallpapers, screensavers, concept art and other bonus materials at that time. Many people like to use the wallpapers/screensavers immediately to add to their overall enjoyment while playing the game.

Why is there no widescreen mode? I have a widescreen monitor and I prefer to play in widescreen mode, as opposed to fullscreen with aspect ratio correction or a stretched fullscreen, because the graphics are sharper.

Hardcore Mode - Isn't really hardcore because of all the hints that are included in the text when you click on items or background objects, i.e., this door requires a special key, I have to find some wire cutters, the saw needs a handle, etc. and all the inventory items are labeled. Players who select Hardcore mode prefer not to have ANY hints - in the text, in the journals, on the maps - anywhere. I won't look at the journals or use the maps or the strategy guides because I know they will have hints in them.

I thought the puzzles were really easy. Since you provide a Strategy Guide and a skip button for those who want more help or don't wish to solve puzzles, maybe next time the puzzles could be more difficult?

Overall, I think it is a great game. The cutscenes are integrated flawlessly, the FX are done very well, the background music and ambient sounds are perfect and the overall gameplay is very smooth and the story very unique and interesting. I have purchased the game, but won't have a chance to finish playing until the weekend.

Great job! I look forward to many more games from your studio.

Go to:   

KEY:    Unread    Read    Sticky    Locked    Announcement    Moved    Moderator