Posts created by SavemeJack

posted in Lost Lagoon: The Trail of Destiny on May 20, 10 11:23 PM
Just finished the demo; 4 chapters of 7, and I am no speed demon, especially on the trials. So, first of all, waaaay too short.

Other than that, the graphics were nice, crisp, and clean. It was easy to switch from one area on the map to another. No timer and hints take about a minute to regenerate. It is definitely an IHOG, but repetitive. Music was okay as I don't recall it, therefore did not interupt my game play.

I liked the new HOG within the IHOG, usually be clicking on a sparkling object when your cursor becomes a magnifying glass. Within the magnifying glass, you have to match the outline of the object on the side of magnifying glass to an object in that space. Have never seen that special effect before in any games I have played, but it got old pretty quick.

I got confused sometimes. There were some scenes when you could pick up an object that was not on the list, use it with another object to get one of the items on the list. The only way you knew if these things were there was just to "run across them" while searching - the pointer would turn into a hand so you could pick it up. Didn't think that was very well-planned out. A hit-or-miss thing, and not in every scene.

The screen did not take up my whole monitor. Also, there was a very teeny tutorial at the very beginning that was of help, was needed to play the game, but thankfully did not hold you hand throughout.

With a little more length, and few more things to do, would have been a decent game. For me, a no buy because of this.

posted in Island: The Lost Medallion on May 10, 10 10:17 PM
I just finished this game, and it was a gem. Took me about 3 nights of playing 3 to 4 hours each night to finish, so good game length. Story was enough to keep you interested. HOG'S were a bit difficult to find, but that was okay - you don't want it to be too easy. Items were to scale and fit in with the place/time of the game. Graphics were great. Music okay if you turned it down to low. Just the right mixture of HOG'S and, is it FROG'S, where you have to find pieces to complete an object you need to use in the scene. They did not come up in those dammmmm circles, which I hate, but are just on the bottom of the screen. Puzzle instructions were sometimes impossible to understand, so had to skip a few. Don't like to do that, but not much choice. Instructions were in Greek to me - should have been caught on the demo before release.

All in all, one of the better games I've played in a long time, and really enjoyed it.

Would have to be and 1/2 out of 5 for me. New games lately have been for the birds. All kids games. You would have thought during the Mother's Day promotion, you would have seen some games for MOMs, not kids.

Hope you will give it a try, 'cause I am very picky and this had some really good aspects to it.

Happy gaming, and Happy Mother's Day to all of our wonderful Mom's out there!

Jack's girl...., and there was no peace in tonight's episode at all.
But to all anyway.

posted in Curse of the Pharaoh: Napoleon's Secret ™ on Apr 30, 10 3:16 AM
Hi 's:

Got this game as the DD. Had played the first one so thought, what the heck. Nothing else in the pond this month. I really had a good time playing this game. First of all, it is long. Must have played about 6 hours, on and off. I'm not Poodlebear but not Poodleslug, either. I must admit, am a Poodledunce when it comes to writing reviews. She does us a great service in always telling you exactly what you need to know about the game.

A lot of STD's in this game, for those who don't enjoy them. I don't mind them, but be aware this was the main part of the game. To make up for it, there were "cookies" to find in each scene which allowed you to buy things that help you along with the game. Also, pieces of puzzles you need to find to finish other sceens in each chapter. Love to catch the little jackal when he appears on the screen for extra hints. I didn't find the few hidden object scenes difficult or dark or junkpiles. Do not like any of those things. It is nice to sit back, relax, and enjoy a game that does not drive you insane, that rolls along at a good pace, and keeps you entertained. The more you played, the harder it got. I didn't see a skip button for the puzzles at the end of every level. They got more difficult as you went along. Had to check the walkthrough for the last one. Hate cheating . Thought the fire and water scenes near the middle were quite the challenge, and have never seen anything like that before. All in all, an enjoyable game for me. and 1/2 out of 5. Maybe because I was really in the mood for this type of game.

Happy Gaming all, and no offense meant Poodlebear. Couldn't live without your reviews!

cg

posted in Unsolved Mystery Club™: Amelia Earhart™ on Apr 23, 10 9:44 PM
Although I knew a lot of about Amelia Earhart and her disappearance (had seen most of the real life movie clips and her various planes), there was still more historical info here. The graphics were sharp and objects fairly easy to find. I found flying the plane difficult, and skipped most of those games because I wanted to see how it played overall. It seemed repetitive to me, IOW, you played each chapter in the same exact way. Boring. The searches involved in finding artifacts were so ridiculous. "Follow the boucing ball" kind of thing. The demo was only 2 chapters long, out of 5. You were immediately cut off after 2 chapters, regardless of time. I would say this would be probably a 2 hour game at most, with absolutely no desire to play it again. Worse than any Nat Geo game I've ever played.

A definite no-no, again.

This is getting a little tiresome trying to find a challenging and interesting game these past two months. Disappointed in BFG lately.

posted in Masquerade Mysteries: The Case of the Copycat Curator on Apr 23, 10 8:28 PM
So Sad
So Bad
Every day brings us a new game
Could it be? Nope, even more lame

Can't you see
BFG
No water in the pond; fishies can't breathe
Bring on a new challenge, or fear I'll have to leave

posted in Mystic Gallery on Apr 22, 10 9:59 PM
Well, my review of this game is as follows:

I made it through 8 minutes, and that included setting it up and reading all the script. I couldn't find one thing in the picture, nor could I even have any hope of knowing the name of the painting in the first mini-game.

Did you catch the grammatical errors?

If you are on the verge of a nervous breakdown, this will definintely put you over the edge in no time flat.

Just awful !!

posted in Mystic Gallery on Apr 20, 10 3:39 PM
Well, it looks like the computer took both versions - but maybe they will correct it sometime in the future. I'll keep checking back.

See ya
cg

posted in Mystic Gallery on Apr 20, 10 3:38 PM
I think I read somewhere that the computer will not allow you to post HOG or IHOG. Let's see what it does with this post. But then, I heard if you posted them like this: HOG's and IHOG's it will show up. So, testing, testing - Let's see if that answers the question....

cg

posted in Mystic Gallery on Apr 19, 10 11:29 AM
Okay, Fishies - Now why don't you REALLY tell me how you feel about this game. Let it all out, don't hold anything back. Let me have it in pure and simple language!!! (JOKE) (LWM) You all are too much and I love you all for it. Man, when you don't like a game, there are no holes barred in expressing your feelings!

Give me everything you got!!

, but don't keep it

cg

posted in Mystery Chronicles: Murder Among Friends on Apr 18, 10 11:29 PM
Darn it all, anyway. I thought I was invincible after playing Dream Chronicles 2: The Eternal Maze. I truly believed no puzzle would ever stump me again - and here I am at Murder Among Friends and can't get past the first puzzle. We need a WALKTHROUGH!!! I hate cheating, but there is no way to get through this game without skipping the puzzles, IMHO. And I am truly humbled.

cg

posted in Mind's Eye: Secrets of the Forgotten on Apr 12, 10 2:35 AM
DARN - I demo'd three games tonight that were on the top 10 list for downloads and was disappointed in every one of them. I have to say I like that scrolling with the arrows, and even by holding down your cursor you have more control. I think the story might have been good, but I finished 2+ chapters out of 4 in my 60 minute trial, and I was going slow. First of all, it was dark. Hate it when you can't see anything, and things are so small. Again, it's just another hidden object, no interaction that I could tell. Bonus to find the roll of film, which I just happened to click on in the middle of a dark spot. What puzzles? Oh, yeah, you had to piece some paper back together and then find the differences - that's about all I remember. I'm tired of being bored to death. Yes, I was appalled at the close up of the victim's face. Read something here about the doll, and I'm glad I won't have the opportunity to find out what that is all about. Hate to be so negative, but that's just the way it is!! No sale here.

posted in Dark Parables: Curse of Briar Rose on Apr 10, 10 4:10 PM
I know what you mean, fishies. The pond has been dry, and I am kind of tired of the same old hidden object games, whether they are interactive or not. SO, did some research and found 3 games labeled hidden object, but are really adventure games. About 3 years old, I would guess, that is why you don't see them on the top 10 or top 100 list. DREAM CHRONICLES!! Yes, Dream Chronicles (the first one); Dream Chronicles 2: The Eternal Maze; and Dream Chronicles: The Chosen One. I have been spouting their praises since I played then for about 6 or 7 days last month when things were really dry. I will warn you, they are hard. The second one next to impossible. Adventure games, lots and lots of puzzles that are unusual and clever and never-seen-before. No skip buttons, so you have to finish a puzzle to proceed with the game. Lots of tips and hints for the puzzles because they are the biggest part of the game. LONG - don't let the size of the game fool you. If you are up to something that will really challenge you - and not in the same old hidden-object, even if interactive, way, they are worth a try. All have "try me's" so you can see if you like them. I loved each and every one, and now feel invincible when it comes to any puzzle thrown at me. Seems like everyone is feeling this way - bring me something new and different. Well, these are definitely new and different, even though they may be about 3 years old. Don't know how I missed them. Hope this helps you in your challenge to find a new breed of game. And I hope you like them as much as I did. Need I say great graphics, little dialog, music unobtrusive - even the story line is unobtrusive so you can concentrate on the tasks at hand. When you find a good thing, you just naturally want to share it with you fellow fishies. If you have problems if you buy the games, and the tips and tricks do not help, please feel free to PM me. I hope these bring a new to you step.

posted in Dominic Crane's Dreamscape Mystery on Apr 8, 10 10:29 AM
Hi guys - I was just strolling through to see what the pond had to say about this game, and noticed many of you are getting the message that the game is still running when, in fact, it is not. I have always heard it is not a good idea to turn your computer off from the "on/off button" and was wondering if anyone tried bringing up the task manager, which on my XP is a right click right by the time clock and in between any icons on the right hand side of your bottom menu thingy, and then click on Task Manager. Click on "Applications" and it should show you all applications that are running on your computer. If it shows this particular game running, although you can't see it, just highlight it and then at the bottom click on "End Task." Which should remove this from the application screen. If it is not on that list of applications that are running, I would report as a problem to BFG and let them work on it. Got to take care of our computers - too expensive to replace in this day and age!! Hope that helps, and is not meant to be viewed as advice from a "know it all" and insulting kind of person.

I haven't downloaded the trial version of this game yet, but will, and guess I'll have to see if I like raisins in my cup of tea or not!!! Happy Spring, and ,

posted in Dream Chronicles ™ 2: The Eternal Maze on Apr 6, 10 4:49 AM
Have to say, this was one of the hardest games I've ever played, but am so proud I DID IT!!! And I only had to cheat ONCE! Could not take that final maze, and someone had so thoughtfully put it down, step by step, so I wasn't going around in circles. At least the first maze had a MAP! Feel good - good and tired. Haven't slept in nights. Also finished Chosen One tonight, or this morning. It was not as bad as Eternal Maze, thank heavens. They were all fun and challenging and just as good as the MCF's, IMHO. Enjoy! Think I'm going to take a shower, get in the car, and go to Key West for a few days - get some sun. I must look like a ghost! Be back soon.

posted in I SPY Mystery on Apr 6, 10 4:33 AM
Come on, fishies. We were kids once upon a time, too! Although I think they should be outside playing games immediately when they get off the bus, they also need to be introduced to the our computer-run society - and in a way that makes them feel confident about themselves! If you have any little ones around, give 'em a hug and tell 'em how great they are. Then turn around, frown, tap your fingers, and patiently wait for another MCF game like I am. GRRR.

posted in Dream Chronicles ™ 2: The Eternal Maze on Mar 31, 10 11:47 PM
This is by far the hardest game I've ever played. I got stuck so badly on the chess board, and read and read all the tips and tricks everyone was using throughout this forum. Some people were putting teeny post it notes on the squares that lit up, but I didn't want to put something directly on my screen, so taped some tracing paper over the screen, but there was no way I was fast enough to put the sticky notes on there. As I said, after reading all the comments by everyone, this one comment kept appearing. First, I blocked off the chess pieces by just taping some old catalog pages over them, attaching them to the top of my screen. And then I just concentrated on the squares that were before me. I had been two to three days working on this and was so frustrated, but this is exactly what the forum poster said - you are too worried about seeing the chess pieces disappear. Block them off, and really just concentrate on staring at the screen and doing the best you can. Well, I had something to eat, sat back with my soda, taped paper over the chess pieces and just tried to concentrate. I really didn't think I was doing all that great, but I kept at it, ignoring when I heard the sound that it was wrong, and just concentrated on not letting that bother me and looking at the next round of lights - because they come so fast. I'll tell you, I did it in one try. Some people said it was a good thing to miss when they started with the 5 in a row's because that slowed the game down a bit and went back to 4's, but I didn't even think about that. Just took a total look at the screen and did my best to match it. Also some people said if you need a break, and you know you've got the right combination - or even if you don't - just stop at the last light and don't hit it. If you leave your cursor on that square, you can lean back and take a deep breath and maybe walk around to refocus your eyes, and then hit that last one - then you are ready for the next series. I really passed over that poster's comments because I thought - nah - there's no way to get through this. But it worked . So don't give up!!! I swear when you take control, block out the stressors on the side (the chess pieces), turn the sound down a bit, take a break if you have to, but you can do it!! I know you can!! Oh - and kind of look at the big pictures instead of trying so hard to remember each light by looking directly at it.

posted in Redrum ™ on Dec 10, 09 5:07 PM
I'm not going to get into the censorship issue here. It is definitely not a game for little children, but that is the parents' responsibility to monitor what their little ones are playing on the internet. I should have censored the whole game for myself - and I'm 60 years old and should have known better. The story line was good, but had to be read through diary entries and emails and journal entries of 4 people (I think). There was an awful lot of reading, but believe it or not, that was the best part. It was repetitious, boring, and head-pounding game play. The colors, the squares or sextant areas that had to be matched made me sick to my stomach. Ended up just clicking on every square/sextant to get that part over with. No penalties for clicking 900 times on one scene! Between that, the colors, and the LSDish pictures, I have nothing good to say about this game, unless you are looking for migraine headaches. Couldn't wait to get it over with and uninstalled from my computer.

posted in Jane Angel: Templar Mystery on Dec 10, 09 1:24 PM
You know, I haven't even downloaded this game or played my usual 30 to 40 minutes of it, and I DON'T INTEND TO. I must weight in on the fact that I do not appreciate the developer inserting his/her opinions and comments directly to BFG bloggers. Making excuses for a game made in another country and using their "language" does not cut it with me. If you want to compete in the American market, then you better learn to speak "American." I am very sick and tired of America going out it's way to make foreign products and foreigners feel "comfortable" in our market and in our country. I have lived abroad for many years, and you learn to speak their language or you don't speak to anyone. The developer of this game has no place in our forum trying to sell his/her product. There are other places for that.

posted in Alabama Smith in the Quest of Fate on Nov 24, 09 6:08 PM
Hey, my second dip into the bigfish pond. Just finished playing this game and I really liked it.

First of all - it is not a HOG but a large Adventure game. There are very few Hidden Objects in this game, and although the number may be small, they objects are very difficult to find. Very small, very well hidden - to the point some objects are actually hidden behind other objects.

The story line was pretty darn good. There is an alternate ending and extra mini games, so it has great potential for replay.

Let me add, this was very hard for me, and I would say I am a medium on the expert scale of playing these types of games. You really had to think about what you were expected to accomplish, although a list of tasks is printed on the bottom right to keep you on track. The task list is NOT is order, so watch out.

A new kind of Adventure game that includes solving tasks from both present day to past day through the use of an amulet. Found that very interesting going between present day and past to solve, and you have to do that quite often as things are in the past that are not in the future, and visa versa.

Hints take no time to recharge, and I used them an awful lot, but did not have to go to the walkthrough to finish the game.

You get special "trophies" that entitle you to basically nothing. There are quite a few of them. A very complicated game to say the least.

Length of play for the first game was at least, for me, 6 or 7 hours. Maybe more.

Graphics are beautiful, clear, bright, and easy on the eyes (except the Hidden Object screens - but as I said, few and far between).

Annoying:
Music -had to turn it off after a spell. Repeated soundtrack, with silence while they reloaded the same soundtrack to be played again.
Hidden objects almost impossible to find without a hint.
Fulfilling all the "trophies" first time around. (These objects are randomly placed and you are just lucky to stumble upon one)

All in all, a very gratifying game, but difficult. I would recommend purchasing it because of its length and replay value.

posted in Escape the Museum 2 on Nov 21, 09 12:42 AM
My first dip into the fish pond. I wasn't going to buy this game because of the reviews, saying it was too easy and too short. I just finished playing it and found it very, very enjoyable. It was a nice combination of hidden objects and interactive play. Sometimes when a game is all IHOG, I do miss the good old **** part of the game. For a woman, I found it a bit challenging when finding objects because I don't know what the heck a brake pedal or wheel caster is suppose to look like. I thought ****'s were, for the most part, relevent to the place you were looking. Although they had to stick a toaster or a balloon in there at times. The size of the HOs were not true to size, like if you were looking for a baseball, it could be a tiny thing or a gigantic thing in the background. I had fun with that part. Also, the challenges to solve a way through each obstacle were, although not too difficult, fun to figure out. I really enjoyed playing this game, although not much replay value. It certainly kept me entertained for 3 nights in a row. And I have been playing HOG and IHOG for about 3 years now. No expert, but as I said, enjoyed this for its entertainment value. Good voices, good music, good sound effects. I would have to give this one at least 4 ies.

Go to:   

KEY:    Unread    Read    Sticky    Locked    Announcement    Moved    Moderator