Posts created by barbaralbb

posted in The Revenge on Mar 24, 11 1:41 PM
I've read all the "monkey/banana/knife" posts and I'm still not getting it. Even called in my husband and together we haven't figured it out.

Have the knife, have the banana, found all but one of the objects in the HObj scene. Am sure that the monkey is sitting on the last wheel part and I can't move forward without it. Using "hint" sends us to the object list where there are only chains, banana, and knife. Any suggestions/solutions/spoilers would be much appreciated.

I like this game - it isn't easy, though the developers could have been a teensy bit more helpful with their hints, don't you think?

Hoping to hear from a friendly fishie.....

posted in The Revenge on Mar 23, 11 11:41 AM
Wow! The pond is really divided on this one....

I must say that after about 10 min my first impression was poor. However, I kept going and began to enjoy it. It's not a game with hand holding, that's for sure. You have to puzzle things out and I'm finding that I'm not as good as I thought I was! I've been spoiled by all the "sparkles" and built-in strategy guides. This one it different (just like many of us said we wanted) and definitely does not march step with the current trend in game development.

Now the English "translation sideways" (as another fishie opined). It doesn't bother me that much. After a while it was kind of funny, actually.

There are different things to search for... so far, not a single umbrella!

Currently, I'm stuck in the graveyard and can't figure out how to make the sword/s. Oddly enough, rather than being off-putting that intrigues me. Must be into delayed gratification, today.

So, bottom line - I may buy it or I may use a one of my credits. Whichever, I plan to add this game to my "stash"...!

posted in Time Riddles: The Mansion on Mar 12, 11 6:40 AM
I think I remember trying this game when it first came out. Didn't purchase at full price but am considering it as the DD for today.

It's a straight "****" game and for some reason I'm liking it.... very preplexing.

The english translation isn't well done - one of the comments in another section of this forum suggested that the developers made their translator mad and that's why they received such a poor product. Don't know about that but the odd "names" for things do make completing the list in order a bit more challenging.

Nevertheless, I'm finding this little game a bit of a change from the ghosts, vampires, stalled car formats of the last several games. It's certainly not up to the standards of Hallowed Legends or even Pirate Mysteries, but it's fine for what it is and several hours of play for 2.99. Just what I need for a quiet Saturday afternoon.

Edit: Just love that the abbreviation for Hidden Object is **** out! Guess the program is just trying to save us from offensive letters. Now, if it could just edit the proor grammer in some of the games!!

posted in Hallowed Legends: Samhain Collector's Edition on Mar 10, 11 6:04 AM
I've realized, as I get better at all this, that the hour is a "guideline" rather than a rule and all "try" demo downloads are, in fact, samples with specific limitations.

If we are really good, the demo may last under an hour - a compliment to the increasing skill of many players, including me.

So, I have a new standard for "H Obj" games - if the demo lasts an hour or less, it's probably a pretty average game and game play is likely to be fairly short for me. If the demo lasts the full hour and I get shut off in the middle of something, it's probably a more challenging game and 4+ hours of game time for me. Again, that's a "guideline" not a rule - some of these games have lots more chapters and bonus sections.

No sense, to me, in beating on BF for the simple fact that they have many more players who's skill is increasing. Now, with that in mind, BF might consider making the demo portion longer to keep better players challenged - just a suggestion.

Now, I'm off to play my demo and see how long it takes me!

Update - just played the demo and loved it. Am in process of installing full version now. FYI just noted that the "try" button does not say - play one hour, It says "Play a FREE sample version" How much more clear could BF make that?

Wouldn't you know it - the first time I really like the music and art and there are no "bonus" options for those associated with this CE game. Drat! I really liked the title song and some of the chapter music.

I'm not one of those who rant about the price of CE games, I don't mind paying extra when I get something extra. But, I don't consider a bonus chapter, strategy guide, pretty art work, and puzzles to be worthy of the full CE price. Pretty art work and puzzles are usually part of the game, don't you think? Well, maybe some of the games are a bit less on the "pretty" side....

I enjoy seeing the art development and have used a couple of the "wallpaper" options from other games. I like having the option to enjoy the music with a different game. Concept art, music, etc - that's why CE games cost more, isn't it?

I did enjoy the game, used the guide a couple of times (nice hints in the game so less need for the guide). I liked it - no problem there. Actually, I liked better than either of the previous Margrave games.

I just expected more in the way of "bonus" than "usual and customary" items. So, no quibble here about CE's and their price - I do have an issue about a standard game disquised as a CE.

Wouldn't you know it - the first time I really like the music and art and there are no "bonus" options for those associated with this CE game. Drat! I really liked the title song and some of the chapter music.

I'm not one of those who rant about the price of CE games, I don't mind paying extra when I get something extra. But, I don't consider a bonus chapter, strategy guide, pretty art work, and puzzles to be worthy of the full CE price. Pretty art work and puzzles are usually part of the game, don't you think? Well, maybe some of the games are a bit less on the "pretty" side....

I enjoy seeing the art development and have used a couple of the "wallpaper" options from other games. I like having the option to enjoy the music with a different game. Concept art, music, etc - that's why CE games cost more, isn't it?

I did enjoy the game, used the guide a couple of times (nice hints in the game so less need for the guide). I liked it - no problem there. Actually, I liked better than either of the previous Margrave games.

I just expected more in the way of "bonus" than "usual and customary" items. So, no quibble here about CE's and their price - I do have an issue about a standard game disquised as a CE.

posted in Relics of Fate: A Penny Macey Mystery on Feb 21, 11 3:37 AM
What time zone are you guys in that you have already played "through" this game demo ....! No matter what time I turn on my computer and check the new game, I can depend on reviews from Casualgran, Drgood, Goofyduck - you folks are my heros.

Today, I'm about 4 hours earlier than usual and there you are - again. You are all either night owls or you live in a very different timezone than me - and thank you!

I can always find your good, clear, helpful reviews that aid in making a decision about the newest game. Have this one downloading right now and looking forward to some fun on the holiday!

Happy gaming fishies...

posted in Reading the Dead on Feb 14, 11 6:14 AM
I agree with all of the previous fishies. Really expected a cute/sassy/original game for Valentines Day, but this clearly isn't it!

Ah well, off to download one of my old games and replay. Maybe tomorrow there will be another good one.

Happy Valentines Day to all the fishies in the pond

posted in Stray Souls: Dollhouse Story Collector's Edition on Feb 10, 11 7:43 AM
Downloaded this game about 30 min after it was posted at Big Fish . That was 2:30am Texas time and I was having a bout of insomnia.....

Played the full hour without realizing that much time had passed and was fully "into" the game when my hour was up! Loved it. Loved the creepy music, loved the creepy doll, loved the creepy storyline, loved the HOG sceens, loved the way the game was layed out, loved the doll house and the extra information from those scenes.

Wish I'd been able to stay awake to write the first review - I'm always about 5 hours late and everything has been said.

This is a quality game - I bought it and it's downloading now. Wow, Alawar, great job - they just keep coming from this super game development company.

Happy gaming fishies!

posted in Behind the Reflection on Feb 3, 11 7:41 AM
I'm stuck here in living room at house reached by map. Have all spell components except the flower.

Received five petals when I completed the scroll/spell puzzle, on the desk. Apparently there are three more petals but darned if I can find them. Did as much as I could on the "place the petals" puzzle, even choose skip and nothing happens. Don't know if this is a glitch or if I'm missing something.

Actually, I've found this game a bit more difficult that I expected - that's always fun!

Any ideas, fishies?

posted in Behind the Reflection on Feb 3, 11 7:34 AM
Did you get the piece that the bird has in it's mouth? I almost missed that one - if so, click on birdhouse and follow directions to complete puzzle.

If you already got that one the remainder are in the safe, in the house, at the park (far left arrow). Know that's pretty "vague", but I don't remember all of that section...

Good luck.

posted in Behind the Reflection on Feb 3, 11 7:28 AM
The safe code appears to be random, but you get it the same way each time . Click on the little house at the far left corner of the house front - follow the directions (scissors and broom) to get the number.

posted in Murder Island: Secret of Tantalus on Jan 30, 11 6:51 AM
Read in other discussion threads of some issues other players had with this game - spinning cursor when "over clicking", small objects, too dark, too obscure, etc. I didn't find any of these issues kept me from enjoying the game.

Yes, the cursor does spin when you over click - that's not any different than many games, annoying but not a "no sale" for me. I didn't find it that big a distraction and it only lasted a couple of seconds.

Some of the items are small, that seems common in so many of these games (remember the Civil War game - yikes!). I did use the hint button when I just couldn't find an item - sometimes it was obvious and I'd just overlooked it, other times is was really (REALLY) obscure (i.e beach ball) and I would never have found it. Come on developers, many of us have tri-focals and play on laptops - so do remember that (as I'm sure most developers are not in that demographic).

I didn't find the game dark and I did enjoy a game set in a sunny Greek Island for a change. No ghosts, no dark/dank castles, no missing relatives - just school friends. So, I'll probably buy this one and complete my second card for the month..
Happy playing to you all!

posted in Nightmare on the Pacific on Jan 15, 11 7:28 AM
LOL - just saw that my abbreviation for Hidden Object (the first two letters), came out as ****. Clearly those two letters were a "no-no".....

So, HOG scenes (the politically correct format).

posted in Nightmare on the Pacific on Jan 15, 11 7:26 AM
Clearly, I'm in the minority. I didn't like this game.... I tried to. I expected to..., it just didn't happen. Seemed like lots of usless moving between scenes without a logic pattern. Odd items to pick-up in the **** scenes (not that this is unique in **** games).

While I was ranging all over the place, I kept thinking about poor Tom (my child!) who was hanging on, with his legs trapped, waiting for me..... (Don't think that's a "spoiler" as it happens very early in the game). There I was repairing items, etc, and I didn't see how that helped poor scared Tom. Maybe the Mom in me.....

I did like that it wasn't a spooky house, my father/grandfather wasn't lost in time, there were no ghosts..... Can't comment on the music/voiceovers, as I never play with the sound on. Played about 45 minutes and the game crashed twice (playing on Microsoft Vista 64 bit). That's not a good sign, either.

Didn't like the lack of help/hints within the game (or maybe I just missed how that worked). So, I'll just wait for the next one and see what happens.

As always, have fun fishies and happy gaming!

posted in Phantasmat Collector's Edition on Jan 10, 11 7:15 PM
Fishes, you are the best! After going back and forth from the elevator to the pier to the cemetery.... I could NOT figure out what I'd missed that was preventing me from getting back to the basement level to proceed with the game. The strategy guide was no help.

Came to the Forum and here you were with the correct solution! Thanks for helping me move forward in the game. I like it and, after paying CE prices, I was not happy to be stumped and have no help from the guide.

Have moved on, only to get stumped in the sunken village. Will look for that "thread" next.

Thanks again - I can always count on the Forums for good information

posted in Tulula: Legend of a Volcano on Nov 16, 10 8:37 AM
Silly, funny, odd, quirky, not as easy as it first appears, and fun. I played about 45 minutes of the demo. Like others, as first thought "this is too easy and childish", then I realized I'd laughed a couple of times. When I reached the Temple of Fun, I was hooked.... I just can't resist a game with a Temple of Fun!

It's a buy for me, if only because there is no "missing grandfather", damsel in distress, floating eyeballs, vampires, bats, ravens, ghosts, dark spooky mansion, etc! A happy game that made me smile, gotta love that.

Have fun fishies!

posted in Bloodline of the Fallen: Anna's Sacrifice on Nov 1, 10 11:06 AM
Wow, Fishies! There seems to be very little middle ground on this game. I thought I'd take a chance and download to see what I thought - slow day here at home and time to try it out.

Unexpectedly, I'm loving it. It's odd and quirky. And, yes, it is a little dark and muddy...usually I don't like that, but for some reason it didn't bother me, this time. I never listen to music/background, so can't comment on that.

So, this is one I'm buying - really like that it is different and I've gotten a bit bored with standard IHOG's. This is a nice change, challenging, makes me concentrate, and I'm having a good time.

It may not be for all the "fishes" but it works for me.. Nice job developers and thanks for something different.

posted in Mystery Valley on Oct 31, 10 1:18 PM
I enjoyed the demo, so bought the game. Got lost a couple of times and used the walkthrough - had technical problems at one part and found help in the Tech problem form.

It was fun but I found the ending a bit abrupt. Am beginning to dislike all the "cliff hanger" endings. Developers, how about games that just play and end. The darn things don't really lead into each other anyway. I never buy a game just because it's part 2 of a series....

So, Happy Halloween, as least this was a pretty okay game to finish out my punch card for the month.

posted in Mystery Valley on Oct 30, 10 8:46 PM
huffpatsy wrote:I have tried every combination that was recommended, the miner did not give me a code and the clues book shows nothing. At this point, I am stuck and can go no further without starting over. bummer!!

This happened to me, too.... Miner didn't give me the clue or I missed it. Journal/clues book stops at "give the miner water" which I did, ages ago. I was stuck - knew the camera had to be in the locker, didn't want to start over, and didn't know the code. So, I thought, I'll go to the forum and see what the other "fishes" have to say - you didn't let me down!

Tried all the codes given in this message stream and found that 1040 worked for my iteration of the game. Doesn't mean I won't find another glitch, but at least I'm through this one.

Thanks to all who wrote their experiences - love the help that is available from BigFish members!

Happy gaming!

Go to:   

KEY:    Unread    Read    Sticky    Locked    Announcement    Moved    Moderator