Posts created by robindrake29

posted in PuppetShow: Her Cruel Collection Collector's Edition on Sep 16, 16 1:18 PM
Running on a nice old Windows XP machine. Never previously had problems with ERS games, but this one is larger than the size of my screen and won't run in windowed mode. Graphics are too wide, and the menu is cut off at right and bottom. Had to use Task Manager to get out of the demo.

posted in Claws & Feathers 2 on Aug 7, 16 11:43 AM
Thanks, SynthpopAddict! I kept assuming that diagonal cornering would work, and forgetting that a hatching egg is not yet a match. Perhaps I'll have better luck now with those dastardly felines.

posted in Claws & Feathers 2 on Aug 3, 16 5:19 PM
Often I can place birds where I think they'll capture a cat, or place one across from where a matching egg is about to hatch, and yet the cat remains contentedly in place. What am I doing wrong?

For large cats that require three or four matching birds, cornering doesn't seem to work. Often while attempting to capture a cat that I know is hiding a key, I'll accidentally complete sets of birds around the feline, and they fly away, forcing me to start over with that cat. I've never yet managed to capture one of the jumping cats intentionally, though thankfully the abundance of chicks hatching will sometimes carry away the cat.

Can anyone help by showing or explaining which positions actually work every time to remove cats?

posted in Haunted Hotel: The X on Feb 2, 16 12:53 AM
The background graphics kept disappearing while I played this game's demo on my older Windows XP system. Only the active areas remained in the foreground; everything else was gone, including the menu, inventory, etc. This problem seemed to occur (inconsistently) when I displayed the map or when an image box opened with something to do as part of the gameplay.

To restore the background, I had to back out to the menu and then return to playing. I've never experienced a similar problem with any other game.

I was just playing the demo to see whether I liked the game, so I didn't try reinstalling. I'm interested in purchasing this game, but only if the background graphic glitch can be solved. I came to this forum to see whether anyone else had reported this issue, but I seem to be the first.

posted in Dreamscapes: Nightmare's Heir on Dec 9, 15 10:47 PM
A few minutes into playing the demo, this game froze for awhile and then crashed. Afterward, the same freeze-and-crash behavior happened every time I clicked Play on the main menu. I tried multiple times, experimented with settings, closed all other applications and recovered free memory before starting the game, etc. Still not getting past the Play button, so I came to this forum to look for answers.

For the sake of completeness in reporting, I created a new profile and started over, avoiding the nurses' station that seemed to be the trigger for most complaints in this thread. Eventually, however, I ran out of other things to do in the game, and I had to return to Crash Central. I was able to take the valve for the oxygen tank and use it, but when I returned to the nurses' station to look for other useful stuff, the game promptly froze and then crashed.

In every case, on my PC (running Windows XP Service Pack 3), I received the same error message:

Access violation at 0x7C81111F (tried to write to 0x00040FE4), program terminated.

Since no one in this thread has reported a successful return to the game after encountering this freezing/crashing problem, I'll stop trying to play Dreamscapes: Nightmare's Heir, and instead spend my time on something more likely to be enjoyable. If someone from Big Fish Games or Shaman Games (the creators of this game) wants to see a screen capture of the error message or a Dr. Felix report from my computer, I'll be glad to help.

posted in Secret Trails: Frozen Heart Collector's Edition on Feb 8, 15 11:15 AM
I hope someone else played all the way to the end and can tell me what happened! Here's what I know:

Highlight the white text below to read it - spoilers!

I created the anti-mutagen in the laboratory below the statue. In the following cut scene, I saw the bottle of anti-mutagen tipped into the lake or a container of water - something wet, anyway. Then the screen went black for awhile. I assumed that the scene was changing locations. Then the credits rolled!

This poor excuse for a Collector's Edition doesn't include a way to view the game's cut scenes, so after closing the credit roll I simply saw a flat image of the four player characters in front of the gardener's house. Everyone looked alive and happy, I guess, so maybe the end scene showed Emma being freed from the giant plant and reunited with Charlie, and perhaps even a flash of the wedding? (Assuming that her gown wasn't spoiled by plant slime and her veil was retrieved from the upstairs window.) Did they all live happily ever after, or what?

If you saw or heard anything after the scene described above, please share!

posted in Jewel Match IV on Dec 30, 14 2:20 AM
Thank you for rescuing me from extreme aggravation! I knew I needed some kind of ignition to light the dynamite on level 14, but the game provided not a clue - and no hint mechanism to ask - how to go about getting it. (I even tried combining the magnifier or the lighthouse's glass shards with the waning sunlight to spark the fuses, but apparently McGyver doesn't exist in this game's universe. ) The walkthrough shows that a book of matches is the solution; now I just have to find those matches somewhere in the game. Again, thanks for the pointer to the game designer's website!

Ashm00r wrote:Hi guys, I just wanted to let you know that if you google "Jewel Match 4 solution" you will find the official JM4 website, hosted by the developers containing a basic walkthrough and some videos showing how to solve tough levels.

Maybe someone explained this somewhere and I just missed it: Why are all discussion posts prior to about May 1, 2014 for the Hidden Expedition: Smithsonian Hope Diamond, Collector's Edition forum locked? The posts seem to consist of the usual mix of questions asking for response, comments about the game or certain aspects of it, complaints about features or lack thereof, and so on. I've never before noticed a game forum with so many posts locked away, preventing players from responding to them. Can another fishy or a Big Fish moderator explain what happened?

posted in Phenomenon: Meteorite Collector's Edition on May 14, 14 11:46 AM
This issue doesn't affect playing the game, but the text on page 32 of the Journal is repeated on page 36:

I managed to cover the strange ring in quicksilver. To open the quicksilver well, I had to use balance weights and the power of my amulet.

The repeated text probably covers or replaces the text that belongs on page 36. Thought I should report the problem in case developers would find this information useful. Despite this minor blip, I'm enjoying the game.

posted in Mystery Trackers: Silent Hollow Collector's Edition on Mar 18, 14 2:02 PM
robindrake29 wrote:
Pini1Anne2 wrote:Where do I find the code 20789 for the suitcase in the telephonebooth? I know I can get it in the SG, but it is just bothering me that I don't know!!

Did you ever get an answer to this question, Pini1Anne2? Like you, I found the code in the game's Strategy Guide, but since then I've wandered around looking for where I should have spotted that detail without the help of the SG. Had I not purchased the Collector's Edition of the game, would I be pulling out my hair trying to find the code?

I may have found the answer to my own question. After clicking the Reset button on the lockpick, I noticed that the device slowly (and faintly) highlighted the individual numbers "2-0-7-8-9" - perhaps it did the same thing when the lockpick was first plugged in, but I didn't notice it at that point.

posted in Mystery Trackers: Silent Hollow Collector's Edition on Mar 18, 14 1:57 PM
Pini1Anne2 wrote:Where do I find the code 20789 for the suitcase in the telephonebooth? I know I can get it in the SG, but it is just bothering me that I don't know!!

Did you ever get an answer to this question, Pini1Anne2? Like you, I found the code in the game's Strategy Guide, but since then I've wandered around looking for where I should have spotted that detail without the help of the SG. Had I not purchased the Collector's Edition of the game, would I be pulling out my hair trying to find the code?

posted in Nevertales: The Beauty Within on Jan 20, 14 9:27 PM
judithannegg wrote:[...] I might have to do something I have NEVER done before and buy the CE even though I already have the SE! Tough to do, but this game seems worth it!

At about halfway through the SE, I can tell that, like judithannegg, I will want to play the CE of Nevertales. But I've already upgraded SE->CE for a number of games from BFG. It's very easy, and it's a bargain: Buy the CE, email Big Fish customer service to say that you're upgrading the game from SE to CE, and BFG will give you a code for a free SE game! (Plus, you earn three punch card credits for buying the CE - and they don't subtract a punch for the SE you're dropping.)

For most games, the tech staff also was able to talk me through upgrading to the CE without losing my place in the game, so I didn't have to replay the whole game from scratch to get to the bonus play. For Nevertales, though, I might want to play it all again - if for no other reason than to find the secret morphing objects in the HOS that I didn't discover until today!

Edited 01/23/14 to add: After finishing the game (6:30 a.m.), I've learned that in my review above I was right about one thing, and wrong about another.

Right: I definitely want to buy and play the CE! This is one of the most interesting and fun games of the dozens I've purchased from Big Fish Games.

Wrong: Apparently the morphing objects are exclusive to the CE. The one I found in the SE must have been a glitch. After I clicked that object by accident (sorry, I don't remember which object, or where it was), the object disappeared, and a message popped up to say that each HOS in the game held a morphing object to be found by eagle-eyed players. However, I looked exhaustively at every HOS after that point, and I never found another morphing object. Since none were mentioned in the walkthrough, on the forums, or anywhere else I could find info discussing the SE, I believe that the morphing object and message weren't intended to appear in the SE.

Despite that one little "oops," I strongly recommend this game. The storyline is a little bit convoluted and not very believable, but that doesn't particularly matter. The fun is in solving the many puzzles and mix of HOS types.

posted in Timeless: The Forgotten Town on Jan 7, 13 2:40 AM
Translation errors in games bug me, especially when objects listed in hidden-object scenes don't match their images. Language editors can help game developers by correcting grammar, misspellings, typos, terminology - and our service isn't really very expensive.

But for basic fact-checking, you shouldn't even need a professional editor. Doesn't everyone in the office have a calendar? Whatever you call the months in your native language, isn't June 30 followed immediately by July 1? If so, how did the travel diary in the train station end up saying first "June 31, 1907" and then "31 of June, the year 1907"?

Come on, developers. Be careful with facts. After all, when your game's title, plot, and play are all related to time, it's pretty important to get your dates straight.

The end credits came up so quickly in this game that I didn't have time to read the newspaper that spins rapidly and then disappears in the final scene of the game. I restarted the bonus chapter to check the Strategy Guide, but it doesn't show a picture of the newspaper or include its message. I also didn't find any reference to the message in the game forum. Finally I replayed the bonus chapter, this time grabbing a screen capture before the information could vanish again! Here's the headline, for anyone else who wondered what it said (highlight the blank space below to see the text):

Maniac killer caught in town
In fact the municipal cemetery keeper was guilty in cruel murder of young women! Reserved and quiet old man was found to be organizer and ideal inspirer of these cruel murders; he was caught at the attempt to escape. Now he is placed under detention and now the city can sleep quietly.

I enjoyed the game, but missing that detail was frustrating! Hope this message helps other players feel satisfied at having the last tiny piece of the puzzle.

posted in Dark Dimensions: Wax Beauty Collector's Edition on Aug 22, 12 3:55 PM
Oops sorry about that! It looks like bfgFlounder meant to add that the Collector's Edition includes:

• Bonus gameplay
• Integrated Strategy Guide
• HD Wallpapers
• Concept art

We really appreciate your filling in the blanks! Knowing these details helped hubby and me to decide in favor of buying and playing the CE version of this game.

As for bfgFlounder's distraction from finishing the original message, we assume that every bfgStaffMember is busy (spy)hopping - trying to address issues, frame spoiler-free responses to complicated questions, and in many other ways make this the best gaming site on the web.

posted in Phantasmat Collector's Edition on May 28, 12 5:21 PM
shadowfax44 wrote:I am a late player of this game so probably no one will ever get back to this thread but I am going to put in my two cents anyway.
So - even though no one will read this, that is my opinion. LOL

Shadowfax, the OP might never see your message, but other people read your posts, and some of us are quite happy to learn from your extensive experience. Going OT for a moment: I appreciate your spending the time (and risking flames) to share your honest opinions. Based on the number of your posts I've seen in forums about games that interested me, and how closely your final comments often mirrored my own opinions after finishing a game, I suspect that I will like this game enough to purchase it, even if it's not "earth shattering."

Please keep posting your comments about games on Big Fish - even if you think no one will read them. Some of us who tune in late to the game (please forgive the pun) find real value in those notes.

posted in Dark Dimensions: Wax Beauty Collector's Edition on May 22, 12 2:54 PM
"The Collector's Edition includes:"

Includes... what?!

Please finish the sentence. Some of us don't download new games the instant they appear on the site, rushing to complete them for the sake of bragging rights. We take our time, compare the many BFG offerings, and choose carefully how to spend our coins or credits. Postings in the forums (with the exception of the aforementioned brag messages) help us to make wise decisions.

Thanks!

posted in Gravely Silent: House of Deadlock on May 12, 12 9:53 AM
Thanks to avgSpock for posting this thread! As you can see by the date, I read your original message almost exactly a year after it was originally posted. Those of you who post questions and comments to the forum early in the life of a game can see that your efforts are noted and appreciated for far longer than you probably intended - or even imagined.

This particular idea really deserves applause. It's the first time I can recall someone in a forum asking the questions for which I wanted answers before buying and playing a game. It would really help to allay the uncertainty many of us feel when trying to choose between the SE and the CE.

I've purchased and played hundreds of games from Big Fish. I don't always read the forums before purchasing a game, but I certainly would if I could expect to find this kind of useful information, especially if I really enjoyed playing the demo. (I learned quickly never to purchase a game without playing the demo first.)

Without having such a condensed question-and-answer format to read for most games, I tend to buy the SE rather than the CE, unless I know from previous games in the same series that I'll want to experience all the available action the game offers. (Mystery Case Files and Midnight Mysteries are good examples.) After finishing the SE, if I really enjoyed the game I check comments on the forum to see whether the additions in the CE would make it worth my time and effort to upgrade. I don't care about wallpapers or soundtracks; I'm looking for additional gameplay and possibly twists to the storyline. In most cases, the comments show me that the upgrade probably wouldn't be worthwhile.

Both positive and negative comments are appreciated and helpful. I just wanted to say thanks to all posters - particularly to thoughtful people like avgSpock - from the doubtless very many people who read and learn from your posts, even if we simply lurk and never respond.

robindrake29

P.S. I will be upgrading to the CE for this game, despite uneasiness about the giant spider!

P.P.S. For those who don't know, BFG will credit you for the SE after you purchase the CE, and the tech folks can usually help you to upgrade without restarting the game from scratch, so you can jump right into the bonus stuff.

After opening the chest containing the letter and the name tag, I clicked the tag immediately without reading the letter. Now I can't get back to the chest to see what the letter said, and neither the letter nor its complete contents appears in the detectives' Notes inside the game, the Strategy Guide, or the walkthrough (although the walkthrough has a partial shot).

It's not essential to the game, but I'd like to know what the note said - and I'm certainly not going to play again from scratch just to get another glimpse. Did anyone grab a screenshot of the inside of the chest? If you haven't played that far, maybe you can capture the shot when you get there, or just type the text from the letter in reply.

The chest appears right after you go to the island visible from the telescope, in case you're not to that point in the game yet. (I'm trying not to give away too much information.)

Thanks to anyone who can help!

rd

posted in Detective Agency on Jul 16, 11 8:33 PM
This game is so bad that my husband and I still laugh about its absolute awfulness. I keep a rating list of games that I've tried and either rejected or purchased - "Detective Agency" is at the absolute bottom as the worst game I've ever played from BFG. I bought it as a Daily Deal, I think, without having tried it; never again will I make that mistake! A waste of money even at $2.99 - and I think I'd have spent my time better by cleaning the toilets.

Go to:   

KEY:    Unread    Read    Sticky    Locked    Announcement    Moved    Moderator