Posts created by blueskies01

posted in Mystery Case Files: The Revenant's Hunt on Jan 23, 18 10:15 PM
Neither spine-tingling, bone-chilling, nor interesting. If the Mystery Case Files series can't be more like its original self, it should be retired.

posted in Mystery Case Files: The Black Veil on Jan 23, 18 9:10 PM
Bankrupt premise. The horror of the First World War appears only to be exploited as fodder for a shallow, modern mess. It's a travesty, not a mystery.

posted in Hidden Expedition: Midgard's End on Jan 18, 18 12:40 AM
(Based on hour demo): Another episode in the Hidden Expedition series, this time in Scandinavia. Modern chase to thwart bad guys who are causing mayhem, with echoes back to ancient Norse lore and concern for climate safety. Some interesting glimpses of early Nordic artifacts along the way. . . .

posted in Black Rainbow on Jan 17, 18 11:13 PM
This game seemed too long in the tooth: the dim quality of the art throughout, and the casual mishmash of cultures, came across as outdated. But if you crave subterranean adventure, this may be right up your alley.

posted in Witches' Legacy: Covered by the Night on Jan 17, 18 10:49 PM
Very choppy, and unfortunately neither Jack nor Bertha (nor their nemesis) is wildly compelling. The constant "Loading" interruption didn't help. The art for individual scenes is good, and I found the brainy Lab Mice a welcome comic relief. But this episode seems too disjointed to work well. . . .

posted in Rite of Passage: Deck of Fates on Jan 17, 18 7:01 PM
Art is great, but game is very s-l-o-w from the get-go. Way too much posturing, talking, and repetition. It's unfortunate how much this gets in the way of proceeding in the game. (As always, though, see what you think.)

posted in Fill And Cross Christmas Riddles on Dec 27, 17 10:38 PM
No Try = No Buy. Couldn't open game, because (in Mac demo) it's mandatory to go through the sample play first, filling squares in only one specific order, and filling individual empty space squares, too, acc. to the same rigid format. That way lies insanity. Failed thrice to get beyond the sample play--which can't be skipped, no matter what--and was therefore not permitted to enter the game demo. Alas, (a) life is too short, & (b) few of us are robots. Will stick with "World Mosaics 2," instead.

posted in Immortal Love 2: The Price of a Miracle on Dec 20, 17 12:05 AM
"Exhilarating"--really? Very well detailed, with compelling illustration, but grim. (Rampant evil unleashed by greed for an artifact that can produce disaster.) Played for the full trial, and appreciated the puzzles and the art, but found the story too bleak to continue. See what you think . . .

posted in Dead Reckoning: Lethal Knowledge on Dec 19, 17 10:51 PM
Shallow mystery set in private college setting (really private: tuition is a half-million dollars). Unfortunately, neither plot nor art conveys much. Clues are fragmentary and nitpicky. Beware of boredom to the nth degree.

posted in Christmas Wonderland 5 on Dec 14, 17 10:57 PM
Hyper-hyper-hyper parody of American Christmas, in manic mode. The game emphasizes commercialization to an unparalleled degree, apart from breaks for such activities as matching flags to different global scenes, and assembling a notably complicated map of the Great Lakes region. No way to enter a scene without being forced to deal with unwelcome game elements (checking status, etc.). No sale here.

posted in Jewel Quest: Seven Seas on Dec 1, 17 1:13 AM
What is the point here? Previous Jewel Quests had art, interesting game play, etc. This scores high only in Boredom Factor: seems to have been flipped out like fast food, with about the same appeal, unfortunately.

posted in Glass Masquerade on Nov 29, 17 10:52 PM
On Mac 0S Sierra, 10.12.6: Weird to start, without a player profile & basic instructions. (Had never played similar game, so did not grasp that red pieces could first be fitted to tiny matching circles on the puzzle frame; had to stop & consult review page to see that it was worth working on.) The more artistic the puzzle (Portugal, Sweden, Iceland), the better I liked it. (Those moving clock hands were needlessly distracting, though.) Was able to complete seven puzzles during the trial, so the game total of twenty-five puzzles seems too low. Recommend trying it for yourself.

posted in Glass Masquerade on Nov 29, 17 10:25 PM
Mac 0S Sierra 10.12.6: after Iceland, could not move to another map site (having gone first to France, Italy, Britain, Germany, Portugal, Russia, and Sweden), because map-movement cursor became severely sluggish.

posted in Grim Facade: The Red Cat on Nov 28, 17 2:25 AM
A unpleasant, brutal game, unfortunately.The actual hidden object scenes are well drawn, but they are too few and far between. Characters seem to relish torture and mayhem. Anachronisms abound. No buy here.

posted in Darkness and Flame: Missing Memories on Nov 23, 17 12:56 AM
Barren Dystopia big-time, w/ niece & uncle traveling far from desert locale in search of safety from forces of Darkness. My fav part of demo was their arrival in deep-snow, below-zero high mountains, where a lone resident w/ dog offers them winter wear against the elements (both travelers are sleeveless, w/ girl wearing 2" shorts)--and uncle declines! Missing more than memories, alas. Demo was plenty for me. (Did appreciate the fast Hint button.)

posted in Chimeras: Cursed and Forgotten on Nov 22, 17 11:17 PM
For those who like lots of busywork, this game is for you! Sends you hither and yon--over and over--while you relive certain scenes of the story (set in distant past) over and over, too. Too many disparate elements to work for me. Also: In the first bucolic (contemporary) scene, if you don't want to hear a radio blaring over the peaceful countryside, don't touch the machine (it wouldn't turn off).

posted in Haunted Train: Clashing Worlds on Nov 19, 17 5:55 PM
Some of the art is very fine (in detailed close-up scenes), yet overall the plot and too-micro tasks got to be too odd & tedious to work for me. How old is this game?

posted in Hidden Fears on Nov 11, 17 10:19 PM
Strictly from the Way-Back Machine: very, very, very slow from the onset, with setting that is beyond dreary and stereotypic characters. In what year was this produced? Played it for the full hour, but it did not improve, unfortunately.

posted in Fear For Sale: Hidden in the Darkness on Sep 11, 17 9:37 PM
MacOS Sierra 10.12.6: Skipped to get to scene in front of house (mailboxes)--after any click, the screen image would collapse to list that includes "Continue." I pressed that key; scene would reappear, only to collapse again as soon as I clicked anywhere on the scene. What's with this?

posted in Vermillion Watch: Order Zero on Sep 7, 17 7:29 PM
Frustrating oversight--definitely should have the skip option here (it was possible to skip previous fights in this game). No buy for me.

Go to:   

KEY:    Unread    Read    Sticky    Locked    Announcement    Moved    Moderator