Posts created by kklohr

posted in Time Chronicles: The Missing Mona Lisa on Jun 3, 12 6:20 AM
I don't think I've read one positive review on this game; that tells me all I need to know. My gripe/comment is why in the hell did release this game as the feature game, and not the new Amazing Adventures game, which was only a soft release? Whoever made this decision at needs to be transferred to the janitorial services dept .

posted in Amazing Adventures Riddle of the Two Knights ™ on Jun 2, 12 6:36 PM
If you own or have enjoyed any of the other 4 in this series, this is a must have. If you haven't, then be aware that these games are NOT adventure games, they are straight hidden object games, with an "adventure" story line. Maybe that's why gave this game a soft release, but seeing that there are now so few of these type of games, this actually comes as a refreshing change of pace. This type of game also has more replay value than most adventure games, so maybe that also contributed to it .

This game didn't stray from the Amazing Adventures formula too much, except that so far, I haven't returned to the same scene like you do in the others. I've edited this to say that I finally found a room that I've returned to, but it wasn't until the 4th mission. This time around, the bonus objects to find are crowns instead of skulls, and if you don't have the option to return to a location, then if you miss finding a crown, you'll not be able to unlock the bonuses, at least that's what it said.

This also seems like it's a nice long game, just like the others in this series. I guess **** got bought out by PopCap, but there's still the ST logo that shows up in most scenes, and occasionally you have to find them. Overall impression is that the HOS are a smidgeon harder, or at least I'm having a slightly harder time finding some objects, but they're not any more or less junkpile than the others in the series. While there is a relaxed mode, I've had more than enough time to find the objects so far, so I haven't felt rushed.

Bottom line: if you like old-fashioned straight up HOGs with a few puzzles, and long for the days when there wasn't so much "adventure", then get this game!

I give this game 7 's out of a possible 8 .

posted in Hidden Mysteries®: Return to Titanic on Apr 15, 12 8:37 PM
I'm a fan of the HM games, and this one ranks up near the top. First of all the length is very good, although some of that is probably because you have to put on your swim fins ...errr... walking shows! One slight complaint is that the cursor sometimes acts slowly. This doesn't happen to me too often, even though my graphics card is about 4 years old.

I haven't completely finished the game yet, but I'm at the final stage, and I already feel like I've played for a good amount of time (at least 3 hours, although I didn't time it.) While this isn't the most challenging in the series, there's enough to keep your interest. But like some of the other reviewers, anything Titanic related fascinates me, and this story line is very good with a slight caveat.

MILD SPOILER ALERT: Perhaps the ending will explain it all, but I find it a bit odd that you see this malevolent entity before the crash, and after the crash it tries to help you to redeem spirits including yourself?!

So if you're a fan of the HM games, you're already going to get this one (like I did) without even trying the demo. IMO this is probably in the top 3 or 4 of the series. If you're not a fan, this probably won't change your mind unless you have an interest in all things Titanic. For the rest of you, try the demo to see if it's your cup of tea. It's the standard Adventure/HOG with more adventure than hog.

I give this slices out of a possible 8 's.

posted in Solitaire Kingdom Quest on Mar 13, 12 4:22 AM
I haven't played this demo yet, but this appears to be different than Solitaire Kingdom Supreme, which I purchased on another website. Same cards and characters, but this looks like there's a storyline added to it. Supreme is fun albeit repetitive once you get all of the stars. So if you've played Supreme, be warned that this appears to be different.

(Edited 4/16/12) Well I've played the demo, and this is different to a point. The solitaire game itself is pretty much the same, but there are a couple of extra characters and the Evil Knight is more involved in the quest. What I love about Supreme is that once you've earned the stars, you get to choose which special cards to play in a regular solitaire game (as long as you have enough stars!) With Quest, these are chosen for you, at least during the demo. Also the music sucks in Quest, whereas in Supreme it's enjoyable. You'll have to determine for yourself which you like better, but to me Supreme has more playability.

posted in Mystery Trackers: Black Isle Collector's Edition on Mar 10, 12 4:48 PM
The achievement I can't seem to get is the Tired Shepherdess Ghost. It says it's awarded for completing a hog in 10 minutes or more. I've tried finding one object, then leaving my computer, and coming back 15 minutes later and finishing the scene, but that didn't work. Do I have to constantly click in the area or move my mouse to get this award? I too have had troubles getting the Pale Lady Ghost achievement, even though I've gone through the tutorial as well I'm on my 3rd go around and I was purposely trying to get all achievements and all of the owls. Maybe it didn't give me the Pale Lady because I grabbed the owls when they appeared, and the tutorial doesn't specify getting the owls?

posted in World Riddles: Secrets of the Ages on Jan 20, 12 8:27 PM
Let me add to the already good reviews given so far. Gemsweeper is my favorite, but only 1 of those was ever made. World Mosaics (WM) is slightly better than this series, and it's had 5 games. This is the 3rd in the series, and due to the tiles/background colors, I'd put this as the worst of the 3! Which is a shame, because so far, the gameplay seems a bit better than the other 2. I like the music in this game series the best only because it isn't as annoying as the others, and is pleasant. The soundtracks are almost the same in all three games, hopefully the next one will have something different.

I'll add my complaint to the others about the tile colors on some of the levels. Actually I think the grey and black tile colors wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the backgrounds, especially the ones you've eliminated with the hammer. I've done 2 levels so far, but one screen in particular in the Japan level, I had to go back 4 times due to not being able to see the black tile properly. If you're color blind or have color difficulties, this will frustrate you to no end! While as with WM, the patterns have a purpose, but in WM the colors aren't nearly as distracting, and the patterns are explained as you complete the puzzle. Here there's no explanation. You can figure most of them out afterwards, but then you scratch your head wondering why was this added?

As I've played more of this game, I don't like how small the squares are when you get to 25 in a row and/or column. It's not that I mind that many squares for this kind of puzzle (in fact I like larger numbers), but for an older person like me with deteriorating eyesight, this is a pita!

What I've always liked about this series is that you can achieve different skill levels depending on how fast you are, but that if you wish to take your time and relax, you can! That's the one thing I didn't like about Gemsweeper (WM doesn't have that all, but the music can get so annoying!) Also, there are now trophies to collect, so this gives me something else to shoot for.

While I still feel that this is a good game to pass the time away when I don't want to play H0/Adventure games, the tile colors are becoming more annoying. This has become my favorite puzzle type to play, surpassing Sudoku.

I give this 4 out of a possible 8 I had this rated as 6 , but the more annoyed I get with the colors, the lower my rating goes. If this keeps up I may drop this this to 0

posted in House of 1000 Doors: Family Secret Collector's Edition on Dec 22, 11 4:20 AM
cbtx wrote:The voice-overs are among the worst I've ever heard. It's especially grinding to hear an adult (actor?) try to sound like a child as this game features.

Oh joy!! If there's one thing I can't stand, whether it's in games, movies, or radio ads, it's fake children's voices (fake senior citizen voices are a close second!) It's especially grating to hear these "children" deliver dialogue that most adults would have trouble with. This almost always causes me to lose the immersion in a story.

MEMO to all Devs: Get child voice actors instead, and if they can't deliver the lines you've written, then how about making the dialogue more age appropriate!

I'll wait for more reviews on this game before trying it out as there have been a nice amount of decent new games lately. Even if this game turns out to be the greatest thing since sliced bread, I won't get the CE if it has annoying voice-overs. Maybe the SE at a later date, after all money's tight these days. Thx for the heads up cbtx! Have a on me!

posted in Nemo's Secret: Vulcania on Dec 10, 11 2:32 PM
LovetoMissLisa wrote:My review it based on the demo. I enjoyed the first game of this series, but the sequels, never seem to live up to the originals.

Is this just a statement in general about sequels or are you referring to other actual sequels for this series L2ML? I know of The Nautilus and that's it. Keep up the good work with your reviews!

posted in Drawn™: Trail of Shadows on Nov 27, 11 4:49 PM
As a general rule, Games are top notch, especially MCF and the 1st 2 Drawn games. But I can't help feel like I've been gypped! Not only is the game way too short, even as an SE, but puzzles are easier than in the first two. It's also more linear than the others. The graphics are still good, but not quite as good as the others in the series. The movement in the game didn't do anything for me, nor did it enhance the game IMO. While you can still tell that put effort into this, with what I saw with MCF - EFR, this game was obviously far lower on their priority list.

What this reminds me of is what happened to the Dream Chronicles series. The 1st three were great, and a lot of detail went into them, especially into the puzzles. The newest ones though are way shorter, easier, and just have the appearance being rushed out to get them to market. That's what this game feels like - rushed out.

Having said all that, I did still mostly enjoy this game, and if you've bought the others, then you may still like this game. If you're new to Drawn, pass on this one, or wait until it's a DD or COTW. Because of the quality of the previous Drawn games, this was an automatic buy for me, but not any more! C'mon if you're going to continue this series, then I suggest that you don't just sluff this off to the "B" team. Please make the extra effort to flesh out a top notch game again, even if it means releasing one every two years instead of every year.

I give it out of 8 slices.

posted in Waterscape Solitaire: American Falls on Nov 7, 11 4:33 AM
First let me state that the pros are just what everyone else has described, primarily the scenery and the music. However my problem with this is the game itself. There was one screen on the second level where only 6 cards were turned up, which of course covered the rest of the playing field. None of these matched, nor were any of them wild cards. So I was forced to use a shuffle right off the bat. Now I had earned at least 3 shuffles in the first round, but I only had 1 shuffle at this point, and I only used 1 shuffle in the first round. So apparently the game resets your undos and shuffles each level.

Even after reshuffling the deck, the 1st time I did it, the cards that appeared didn't match up either! After restarting the round, I found that I was still stuck with the original cards, but when I reshuffled I finally got different ones. This is BS! That was a deal breaker for me.

out of 8.

posted in RealMYST on Aug 13, 11 5:10 PM
I too have Win7 64bit, and the game video will not come up. The first time, I got a picture of an open book after hitting the mouse button, with just a green patch on the page (no words or anything else.) Then it tried to open the book, but the graphics were jerky, and the video didn't advance, it just repeated the quick sequence in a loop. So I killed the game, tried it again without hitting the mouse button, and I got as far as a voice over, but no video. You can tell that the resolution changes from what the video card has, but I just get a blank screen. Perhaps, I need to set the video card resolution to whatever the game's resolution is? I've never had the chance to ever play the original MYST, but always heard about it being a classic, and having other games compared to it. So I was really looking forward to this game, but alas my heart was broken! I was all set to buy this with the promotion going on this week (sigh.)

posted in Grim Facade: Mystery of Venice Collector's Edition on Jun 25, 11 6:51 PM
I'm at the paint the puppets section, and I was having the same issue that others were having with trying to get the puppet painted correctly. I tried to paint both shoes white, one show white, one beige, both beige, etc... None of these worked for me, even it seemed to work for some others. One of the suggestions was to repaint everything a different color, then come back and paint it over with the correct colors. So as I was trying this, I got to the hair, and tried to paint it yellow, when the game completely crashed on me, bringing me back to the game manager! This happens every single time I try this. I have Win7 64 bit Home Premium edition, with 4GB of memory, and using an NVIDIA 8800 GTS 512 card. I will relay this info to CS and I would really like to play this game without using the skip button. I should be able to avoid the glitch, but if I can't get past the puppets, then I want my credits!

posted in The Fall Trilogy Chapter 3: Revelation on Jun 24, 11 8:14 PM
After reading all of the comments of the other posters about the length of the game, and of how there's too much hand-holding, or the puzzles aren't as challenging, etc..., I'm going to wait to get this when it becomes a DD, and only then! I loved the 1st game: very clever puzzles, and challenges. Enjoyed the 2nd game, but not quite as much. But this one sounds as if it's way too short, and that the devs were just wrapping things up, having shot their wad (so to speak) creatively on the first 2 games. So I'll wait for it to be released as a DD, just to complete the story.

At least they didn't make this into a CE! I don't know how the story actually ends, but looking at the walkthrough, it doesn't appear to me to even tie into the other two, except for the fact that it's the same guy. I like how one reviewer described the series - Chapter 1 is like Indiana Jones and Chapter 2 is like James Bond. So what does that make Chapter 3, Dr Quinn Medicine Woman (errr... Man!) If they did add an extra chapter to this would the devs have to call it Chapter 3b? Maybe they could have "Dr. Quinn" fall off a cliff or something and perhaps wake up in the deep end of a pool, underwater or something. Then he could muse in his nonchalant way about his predicament, saying things like "Why do my eyes hurt, it must be the chlorine", "I must find air", "How did I end up here?". And when he opens his mouth and swallows some water, he could say very calmly, "Hmm... that didn't work!" Then spend the next 30 to 45 minutes of gametime figuring out what the heck to do next, until it finally dawns on him to go up. And when he finally reaches the air, the game ends!

Final comment (whited out in case there's a spoiler)

I'm guessing that our hero is involved in some sort of Quantum Leap type story.

dogmama wrote:Win7-widescreen laptop. Game comes up on right side of screen with no menu available. To exit, I must press alt/cont/del. Pressing esc does not help. If I put it into a low resolution, I can play. I've bought a number of games that I can play full screen only by changing the resolution. However, this one cannot be played UNLESS I change it. I should not have to write tech support as it is a problem with the game. Absolutely no buy if I must change my res before starting the game.

Edited to add:

I went to the program files for this game and started it from the .exe (application) file. Worked perfectly--full screen. Makes me wonder about the new game manager (game stub) that I had to dl prior to dl'ing the game...

That trick fixed the same problem that I was having. While I was able to get the screen to fill my monitor out once I was able to get into the options menu (which wasn't easy!), this is a much better workaround - thx dogmama!

posted in Hidden Mysteries: Notre Dame - Secrets of Paris on May 21, 11 11:47 AM
I just finished the game and it took me a little over 2 hours.

Pros: H0s were easy to see and the use of the spacebar to show the objects to interact with is a plus, especially for newbies. No penalty for overclicking. Engaging story, like all in the Hidden Mysteries series. Unlimited hints (with a timer.) Puzzles weren't overly challenging, but they weren't childishly simple either.

Cons: Short game length (as mentioned earlier.) This was easier than the others in the series, maybe a little too easy. A fair amount revisiting the same scenes over and over again to find H0 scenes, even after you've done what was needed at the scene. As others have mentioned, sound was very annoying when you click on the objects.

Other comments: If you've got all of the others in the series, then there's no reason not to get this to keep up the collection. However, if you're new to the series, I suggest Buckingham Palace first (my favorite), or even Salem Secrets . I would rate this as being 5th or 6th best out of the 6 stories (7 if you count The White House.) For what it's worth, I would rank the series this way:

1 - Buckingham Palace
2 - Salem Secrets
3 - Vampire Secrets
4 - The Fateful Voyage - Titanic (I would've rated this higher, but the girl is annoying)
5 - Notre Dame
6 - Civil War
7 - The White House (though not officially a Hidden Mystries game, I've seen this listed as such. It may as well be anyway!)

(Even though CW and WH are ranked lowest, I still enjoyed them, even though a lot of people didn't)

Mild Spoiler Alert: Even though it was obvious who did it after finding the note, the reason for it was very lame!

I rate this 5 out of a possible 8

posted in Hidden Mysteries: Notre Dame - Secrets of Paris on May 21, 11 11:13 AM
I managed to finish the game in just over 2 hours. This is probably the shortest Hidden Mysteries game yet.

posted in Mystery Trackers: The Void on Nov 12, 10 9:04 PM
goofyduck77 wrote:I have a weird question and the answer is probably obvious but I don't know what it is. When you go to download the trial, it tells you how big it is. In this case, it says 589.25 mbs. Very specific. But when it pops up on the game manager to download it indicates it is 609 mbs.

Anybody know why there is a difference and what it is? This happens on every game, no matter what kind of game it is.

It might have to do with the download manager, but I don't really know either?

I just find it amusing that certain games can be far smaller (as small as say 250mbs), and yet they'll get classified as a large file download, and there will be no demo for it. Kudos to BFG for finally deciding to include a demo for a file this large. For those of you who think that the demos have to come from the developer, this is not quite correct. BFG could release every one of their games with a "demo" if they wished, but due to bandwidth and server reasons, they choose not to. You'll have to trust me on this, that's all I can say. I do however want to give props to BFG for releasing a demo of this game, and encourage them to do more of this in future for large file games. I'm off to download the demo right now.

Does anyone know if there has been a release date set for the new MCF? Along with Sherlock Holmes, Agatha Christie, Mortimer Beckett, Drawn, and the Treasure Seekers series, MCF releases are a sight unseen buy for me!

posted in Artifacts of the Past: Ancient Mysteries on Jul 11, 10 7:50 PM
I agree with all the others about this being too easy, although sometimes the fragmented objects are very hard to see. Most of the mini games are too easy, but the Integrator, I believe it was called, was probably the best one to play. I almost got through the 2nd story before my hour was up, and I'm not the fastest player in the world. So this game appears to be way too short. Pity, because this wasn't too bad as far as stories go. A definite no buy from me!

posted in Doors of the Mind: Inner Mysteries on Jul 3, 10 5:38 PM
I agree with all of the others that complained about the length of the game. I was going through it during the demo, not skipping any of the cutscenes, reading everything carefully, and I got to the middle of Day 4. The walkthrough shows only 5 days in the game. It's too bad because I was enjoying this, but this is a no buy for me!

posted in Cleopatra: A Queen's Destiny on Jun 18, 10 9:17 PM
Linda_S_55 wrote:Hi kklohr,

Wow, thanks. I hope this works. Right now I'm trying to install it but I'm getting error messages. Can you tell me the steps you took to switch back and forth from each driver? I'm getting errors about compatibility.

Thanks.
Linda.

Hi Linda. I didn't get any kind of compatibility errors. I did read somewhere that I wasn't supposed to use anything older than 180 drivers (or maybe it was 186.) I also made sure that I was downloading 64 bit drivers and perhaps you downloaded 32 or 64 bit by mistake?

All I did was to have the setup file for 187.18 and whatever the latest driver setup program from NVIDIA was, in a folder. I then just select the setup program for the driver that I want to install. The only errors I ever get with the 187.18 driver is an entry about missing first entry in nvcpl.dll, or something like that, and stereo something or other not uninstalling correctly. Neither of these things affect my computer or graphics in any way that I can tell, although the missing entry message always comes up when I restart my computer.

By the way, the latest driver from NVIDIA (257.21) still doesn't fix the stuttering screen issue, but using 187.18 does, at least for me! I'm guessing that the games from Kheops don't use GPU acceleration.

I've been wondering whether or not anyone else who has ATI graphics has this problem? Hopefully it all goes well for you.

Go to:   

KEY:    Unread    Read    Sticky    Locked    Announcement    Moved    Moderator