Posts created by fragileind

posted in Drawn: Dark Flight ® Collector's Edition on Dec 8, 10 1:01 PM
Simply awesome. Quite challenging in play but the advice and a couple hints always got me to a place where I could proceed. A lot of patience and perseverance is required on some of the puzzles. I had to skip two ... the candles and the rotating disc ... but spent hours on painting the queen's face and was excited to finally get it done. There is nothing unfair about this game, it's hard, but not unfair. Even the final extra challenge of saving the butler -- I was sure I'd never find all the pieces but I did (the advice is good without giving everything away).

Plus, of course, the excellent visuals, plot, and design. I really liked that the moral is about hope and imagination ... you need both to complete this game, and we all could use more hope and imagination!!! So much more positive than some of the spooky or gruesome games, fun as those are too.

Thanks Big Fish -- and all your designers and artists.

posted in Treasure Seekers: Follow the Ghosts on Sep 19, 10 6:54 PM
I'm on the third location, and finding this far too easy. I did pick the "relaxed" mode, and I'm so relaxed I'm falling asleep. The cursor, task list, and dialogue give away far too much for my taste. On the other hand, without a FEW hints, I might be permanently stuck. I'm restarting the game in the other mode and seeing if it's better, and doable. I bought this unseen on the strength of a previous Treasure Seekers game, and while I did think it a little repetitive, it was challenging. I'll report back.

Reporting back (9/29) -- There is no "relaxed" or "advanced" mode. Just for drill, I played it through for about 10-15 minutes a stretch and it didn't last long. My opinion stands. This one seems far easier and more repetetive than the earlier did, and a bit muddy visually. Or maybe I've become jaded since I played the other one -- since Dire Grove, especially.

Can't all be winners.

posted in PuppetShow: Souls of the Innocent on Sep 16, 10 5:34 PM
Just add me to the list of players who totally enjoyed this game! Beautiful visuals, music not too annoying (though I always prefer it without), and while I always want more, the length was satisfying. Some new twists from Joyville, still creepy (not for little kids) but not gross, and EXACTLY the right level of difficulty. Puzzles CAN be solved, I only skipped one, I used the hint button in searches maybe twice, and the play from place to place made sense (even if I spent a lot of time running around double checking previous search sites, which is a good idea in this game). I got stuck once, but only because I didn't realize there was a room on the other side of the bridge/walkway in the factory. Duh. If I had breezed through, it would have been too easy. Thanks, and tell those Russians (I'm guessing from the names in the credits) to keep turning these out ... Thanks!!!

posted in Mystery Case Files®: Dire Grove™ on Aug 29, 10 7:00 PM
The Best. Game. Ever. MCF, you guys rule! I'd have to go back and "Return to Ravenhurst" to make sure, but this was the most interactive, challenging, fun, visually beautiful, glitch-free (with a couple of complaints below, it's not perfect but darn nearly) game available on BFG. The addition of film and sound clues and the production values are so far beyond anything else I've ever played -- well, just buy it and play it and if you hit a wall, check the forums or walkthroughs. I had to resort to a few HOG hints, and the walkthrough (be sure to use the regular walkthrough for the regular game and the CE walkthrough for that game ... they are different!) a few times, and the HOG hints showed me something I NEVER would have found, so I felt better, and I had a few forehead smacks in the walk through where I knew I should have been smarter. The perfect balance -- I don't want a game that's too easy. One puzzle skipped but I could have solved it with patience. What the MCF games from Ravenhurst on have that I don't get from other games is the sense of a complete, complex but self-contained world, the amount of memory and common sense and sometimes wild jabs I have to bring to it. Complaint: a couple of very hard (too hard) things to find in HOGs, but better than most. And when one has to clip the hose, the location of the "clip" is hard to find. Make me your tester, MCF, and I'll find these problems! *grin *

posted in Mystery Case Files®: Dire Grove™ on Aug 29, 10 4:37 PM
nwl43 wrote:
crawfora wrote:I've applied the glue to the torch and have found a great patch material, but I don't have anything that will cut off a piece. All I have is pliers and it won't let me use that. Where do I find some scissors or knife or whatever it is that I need?

The pliers are actually wire cutters. They will work . You just have to find the right spot on the hose. Click somewhere around the middle. I know it would make sense to cut the end.

THANK YOU!!!

I've been stuck on this stage forever, clicking on the end of the hose. To me, that's a bug in the game -- it shouldn't be that picky. Thanks again.

posted in Hidden Expedition ® - Devil's Triangle on Aug 11, 10 8:39 PM
There were times I was cursing this game, but more times when I was thinking this was the coolest game ever. Often, right after I cursed (and finally figured out what the *#&^ I was supposed to do!) Beautifully clear visuals for all puzzles and hidden objects as well as the larger scenes, a huge improvement over Amazon, the other HE game I've played. Music, surprisingly, didn't bother me, and some of the pop-up comments and journal entries made me laugh. I could have used a few more hidden object searches, the balance really favors the puzzles. The puzzles & games took a lot of trial and error, not a bad thing, and I don't want any fewer of them (just more search scenes too!). Sometimes the object of the game is unclear. These parts need a "hint" function that actually is a hint and not a skip (we want the skip option too, mind you, but throw us a bone to get started!) Twice, I was absolutely stuck and skipped the game. During my wanderings from scene to scene, several times the next step or room is not at all obvious -- not that I want it obvious obvious, but again, a hint would be nice, instead of having to stop and consult the walkthrough in shame. Story? well, let's hope the continuation explains more. The ending is cheesy and comes one chapter too soon. And there are technical glitches here and there -- the jigsaw puzzle was the worst, total screen freeze. Read hints on how to solve it in the technical thread -- they do work, but it's a major annoyance. All that being said, though, this would totally be worth a DD, but I did expect better from the HE folks.

posted in Hidden Expedition ® - Devil's Triangle on Aug 11, 10 5:26 PM
Frozen tile game has frozen me out too .... I will try solutions listed above, but this should not be necessary in the first place. This is a bug that should be fixed. Hello, BF? You are usually so good with updates, here's one that needs attention.

posted in Echoes of the Past: Royal House of Stone on Aug 8, 10 11:53 PM
I just completed the sequel on CE (Castle of Shadows) -- the first CE I've ever bought -- just on the strength of playing this, the Royal House of Stone.

Thought I'd come back and give this my big thumbs up, since I never reviewed the first.

This is the perfect mix to me of puzzle, strategy, HOG, running around, memory, story and good visuals (the next is even better on visuals). Very much in the Ravenhurst mode, but somehow more surprises along the way. Satisfyingly long gametime.

If that sounds like your cup of tea, do try it .

(Though I would wait to buy the Castle of Shadows until it's out in regular release, I don't get what's so special about CE's. )

Loved the first game and haven't seen anything that tempted me in a while. So I broke down and bought my first CE. I got all that I want and enjoyed in the first game: a combination HOG and puzzle with lots and lots of running around (you either like that or you don't!) -- it tests your memory in a map kind of way and for which area needed what. PLUS, the visuals are even better than the first, the objects to find are clear, and the puzzles are really challenging! Glad I had the strategy guide a few times, but I did pretty well on my own. Some unique ways of manipulating the screen to find (or place) the objects -- good animation on these. About four evenings of play, including the bonus game. No technical issues for me, I was one of the lucky ones, I gather, from other comments.

That being said, I wonder about the CE price. I splurged just because I never had before and I liked the first game so much. But I wondered if it was worth it. The strategy guide is good, but usually there's a free walkthrough offered on BF in a day or two of regular game release. The bonus game is actually fun but much simpler than the other parts of the game, it took me about a third or quarter of the time of the rest of the game. That shouldn't triple the price. I don't want screensavers or sketches.
Final review: Excellent game, even better than the first, but wait for the regular release.

posted in Word Zen on Aug 6, 10 9:48 PM
About half the time this music sound problem happens to me with a new player. Sometimes I can control the slider, sometimes not. Try a new player, and check back between rounds. If not, I turn down my speakers, but I like hearing the game SFX. No probs with screen size. I notice this is version 1.0.0 of an older game, are there updates?

HTH

posted in Cate West: The Vanishing Files on Jul 7, 10 7:00 PM
Slite wrote:If you like HOGs, then this is a totally great 2.99 game. My only advice is that this game is most enjoyable if you just play one or two chapters at a time and stretch it out over several days. Otherwise, it can feel too repetitive.

My thoughts exactly. I'm glad I paid 2.99, because for full pop or credit, the monotony would make me feel cheated. I may just keep this one Cate West game so that I have something idiotic to play for 15 minutes instead of watching the drapes fade.

OK, so that was snarky, but there is a need out there for this pure HOG, and as such, that's all it is. If you want something more, that's out there too. Thanks BF for the variety!

posted in Sprill and Ritchie: Adventures in Time on Jun 15, 10 9:56 PM
Thoroughly enjoyable and charming. Don't let the little fluffy critters fool you, this is a great game for adults! Long game play and some very novel aspects. Unlike some commenters, the hidden object portions were not unfair to me. I did have to hit the hint button now and then, but never felt cheated. Laughed out loud at some of the dialoge and characters. A variety of puzzles, all skippable, but I only skipped one arcade style. Unusual and a great break from the constant occult/spooky stories out there -- just pure fun. And did I say it's long? It has many many levels but never got boring. I have to try the previous one now, and I will enjoy playing this again soon.

posted in Haunted Manor: Lord of Mirrors on Jun 12, 10 3:43 PM
I must join with the chorus of disappointment with this game. There's nothing really wrong with it; the technical aspects (visuals, screen graphics and mechanics, sound) are of acceptable quality, sometimes better than average. Still, there's barely any story, and the big problem is that the game quickly becomes repetitive and boring. It is just far too easy for anyone with any experience with hidden object / puzzle games. The "puzzles" do not puzzle at all (light candles, place objects on their silhouttes). Now and then I enjoy a simple HOG, but this seems to be pitched to a child's level, except for the slightly macabre story line. Even so, it would not be inappropriate for any child over 8 or 9. It might be a good introduction to HOG games before taking on something of a Ravenhurst level of challenge. There should be some rating system of difficulty so one knows ahead of time before even the download of the trial.

One thing impressed me: the opening screen music is a beautiful passage from Verdi's "Requiem", one of my favorite pieces of music and very appropriate for the "Haunted" theme. It's the only smart thing about the whole game.

Update: I finished the game, and I will give it this: if you want a long game, it does have many chapters. I could see playing this again for time, because I know I could race through it, which gives replay action some purpose, once you're familiar with it. But there is no timed option. I like relaxed gameplay for a first time, but a timed option gives a game extra value. It's worth 2.99 if it ever comes up for DD or deal of the week.

posted in Strange Cases - The Lighthouse Mystery on Jun 7, 10 7:15 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed this game. If you liked the first, you will definitely have fun with this one. It seemed even better in plot than the first (which had a pretty crazy storyline), and a bit longer, I think, with interesting search scenes -- no junk piles. Plus it has the elements I enjoyed in the Tarot Card game -- excellent graphics, intriguing puzzles that aren't too frustrating, and I was able to skip one that I could tell after trying a few times would annoy me (moving the stones thru obstacles). There is a lot of hidden object play, and you either enjoy that or you don't. This has variety in the types of search, and I was able to feel the search was fair, even if I needed a hint (which reloads pretty quickly). Another thing you either enjoy or you don't is the occasional sense of not knowing what to do next or where to go. I don't mind running around from scene to scene, in fact, it adds to the game for me. I did consult the walkthrough twice to keep from getting stuck, and both times I was stuck because I forgot about a puzzle or interactive left undone from before. *forehead smack* :-) The complexity and quality make it an expensive feeling game, if you know what I mean. Not everyone likes this style of play, but if you do, it's a keeper, it is for me.

posted in Deadtime Stories on Jun 2, 10 11:43 PM
This issue is the single place I got frustrated with the game. I had to do a lot of "waving" of that dang paintbrush to get the spirits to appear, even with the location figured out. I could never figure out if I needed to hold the brush with the right button or not, but with persistence, they finally came through. More of a small scrubbing motion worked, but I agree, it's tiresome. Deadtime designers, take note, please, no more intense "scrubbing" with the mouse!

posted in Deadtime Stories on Jun 2, 10 11:36 PM
Best game I've ever bought on Big Fish. Hands down. I went back to check, and I've bought about 30 games here, demo'd a lot more. Just the perfect mix of hidden object, story, graphic quality, puzzles, dashing about, hints, acting ... never needed a walkthrough, but it challenged me! Follow your intuition, stretch your brain a little. Ample help within the game itself, sometimes just asking for a hint (and not using it) told me enough to go on. I haven't liked any game this much since Azada and Myst. If that whets your appetite, dig in! Some may be put off by the dark, almost ghoulish story, but it was dark like Tim Burton, not Saw or something gruesome. I wonder if aspects might not be PC -- but I think the characters were handled with dignity.

Bottom line: 5 stars out of 5!

posted in Treasure Seekers: The Enchanted Canvases on Jun 1, 10 3:05 AM
I join the recommendations. Very enjoyable gameplay, just challenging enough to make it great fun and requiring some thought. Beautiful graphics, and plenty long for me. I kept returning to it throughout the day. Lots of movement between screens, which I enjoy, and the task bar kept me focused -- no getting lost as sometimes happens. The hidden object search was more of a click search around scenes just to make sure I hadn't missed a puzzle or interactive. Had to resort to help button a time or two, and I skipped one puzzle. The nice thing is it gave me those options, when I totally hit a wall. I suppose I could have gone to the walkthrough, but I liked the game well enough to want to see it through on my own.

My only wish is for a timed option, so on replay I could have something to beat when I feel up to quick gameplay. After one time thru, I bet I could kick @**!

posted in PuppetShow: Mystery of Joyville ™ on May 30, 10 9:53 PM
Complete enjoyment. Beautiful to look at and wonderful structure, not too repetitive. This is well above the usual junkpile of hidden object games, the adventure is chilling and draws you through. Just the right level of difficulty for when you want a little challenge, not a major frustration. Not as hard (or rewarding) as the Ravenhearst games, but better graphics than the early Ravenhurst games, so I enjoyed it very much. Taking my time, I probably spent about 4 hours in a very relaxed way. Mini Puzzles are not hard, never had to skip. In searching for objects, I only had to use a hint once (and was embarassed -- I just wasn't looking). Very fair without being too obvious. As far as following through the game to get what I needed and where I needed to use it, the game was intuitive, and I searched around a few times but only got stuck once. BF's walkthrough helped me there. Bottom Line: Well worth the 6.99. THANKS BF!!

One spoiler hint below, because to me it was the most baffling thing. Don't read if you don't want to know.

*** When you need a punch card, be sure you have punched in the right numbers from the bookcase ***

posted in Detective Agency on May 30, 10 12:58 PM
Thank you reviewers ... I managed to resist a hidden object daily deal (which I usually buy as fast as I can click!) because of your thoughtful comments. Junk piles, muddy graphics, short length, bad translation, useless hints ... um, think I'll pass.

posted in Autumn's Treasures: The Jade Coin on May 30, 10 12:35 PM
I rather enjoyed this, felt it was well worth the $2.99 on DD. Finding bits and pieces of most objects was not difficult, and I enjoy the multiple scene hunt zone, unlike others. Finding the pieces of the journal pages was more challenging, and sometimes seemed impossible without a hint. Some of the page pieces were virtually invisible, but sometimes I was just not looking! The puzzles are simple to simplistic. Still, it was plenty long for me, the graphics are well done, and checking the journal kept me on task. On replay, I'll skip the story portions, but they broke up the game nicely. Without them, I have the feeling it may get tedious. Be sure to stay in the game PAST the "The End", as there is an extra chapter that is a teaser for the next game in what looks to become a series. Don't know that I'd pay full price for future episodes, but as a DD, I got my money's worth. Your experiences may vary if you're looking for a classic style hidden object game and/or are looking for a difficult challenge.

Go to:   

KEY:    Unread    Read    Sticky    Locked    Announcement    Moved    Moderator