Posts created by Kyasarin

While I overall enjoyed the game, I do wish they hadn't opted to just do a single type of puzzle throughout. I found them irritating. A lot of times, what you needed to do was so obscure that you couldn't figure it out with logic. I resorted to the puzzle hint system way more than I wanted to.

The other thing is, if you're going to go British, go all out. It was downright distracting to go from British accents to American when they're all supposed to be from the same region. I could even excuse the atrocious British accents. So, a little consistency would be a good thing.

ZekesPeach wrote:Hi! I finished the main part of the game last night. I skipped the last scene as it was unfolding, the credits began to roll, I skipped those and exited the game. This morning I started the game up so I could play the bonus round and it told me I have to finish the main game first! So, thinking I had missed something, I hit play for the main game -- and I am back at the beginning!! All my achievements are showing, but nothing is in my inventory and I am definitely back at square one!!

Is there something I missed? Can't see how if the credits rolled...

I also agree with others that too many of the interactive areas had tiny sweet spots that made accomplishing the tasks next to impossible.

This happened to me, too. I'm thinking of playing it through again, this time being mean just because I can, but it bothers me that it won't let me play the bonus game.

posted in Surface: The Pantheon Collector's Edition on Sep 28, 13 9:05 PM
This is a terrific game, top to bottom. I seldom pay full price for a CE, but I was so hooked just from the teaser that I did, in this case (and then all Elephant games went on sale right after . . . siiiiiiigh!), and do not regret it. This game is great fun and totally immersive. I loved the art, and most of the voice actors did a great job. The gameplay was interesting and fast-paced and challenging. The extras are an improvement on the usual "bonus game, plus wallpapers and crap" CE. And it's an interesting variation on the HOPs to have to use inventory items. It often meant I had to back out of a HOP in order to fetch something I needed, but that was all part of the challenge.

One small criticism: The games in the Pantheon section are just rehashes of the mini-games in the game itself. I'd have preferred original games. But that's a relatively small thing, and it certainly doesn't keep me from recommending this game as highly as I can. This game's a winner.

posted in Surface: The Pantheon Collector's Edition on Sep 23, 13 7:37 PM
My response is to the demo only, but wow! This one might have to go straight to the front of my ever-growing "games I want" queue. Great pacing, interesting storyline, good mini-games and puzzles, and I love the art. I'm so glad this franchise stopped using live actors, because the art is just so much better, and far less prone to chewing the scenery. I was disappointed when I got to the end of the demo because I wanted to keep playing. Must get!

posted in Dark Dimensions: Wax Beauty Collector's Edition on Sep 20, 13 10:09 AM
I got this game because I've really enjoyed the other "Dark Dimensions" games and thought this one would be the same. While it did have a lot of enjoyable elements, I'm afraid it was seriously flawed.

What I liked: The art style was lovely, and I actually really enjoyed the soundtrack, which was much better than most. The storyline itself was good, and gameplay was generally well-paced. Also, the hint function was useful and clear.

What I didn't: As always, the use of live actors bothered me. Aesthetically, it never looks right, and they were particularly badly-integrated in this game. They never synched with the sound, and the "acting" was a bunch of random gestures. The voice actor for Madame Holloway was particularly irritating.

More to the point, though, the gameplay got annoying before long. I was constantly backtracking, and not always in a logical fashion. Some of the mini-games were completely mystifying, to the point that I ended up skipping them. I couldn't understand what I was supposed to do, and neither the help nor the guide clearly explained the rules. Some of the tasks were inexplicable, too. For instant, creating the fertilizer via poaching the cobra egg. What? I had to go to the guide for that one because there were no instructions in-game.

Finally, anachronisms ahoy. Tip: Next time you set a game in 1918, do at least a minimum of research. Enough, at least, to get the fashions right instead of being all over from the Edwardian era to the 1940s. And someone out there needs to know that they didn't have full-color, full-sound movies then. If you're going to set a game in a particular era, make an attempt to get the details right.

posted in Fierce Tales: Marcus' Memory Collector's Edition on Jul 7, 13 8:17 PM
BlamDev, I really want to like your games. The issue with "I can use something here" (replaced by the ever-more-annoying "Oops! Not doing that again." in the new game) is really a deal-breaker with me. At least tell me what I'm looking at. Otherwise, there's really no point in having the black-box comments. Or make the comments an option. I got so badly annoyed while playing "Fierce Tales: A Dog's Heart" (a game I really wanted to love, as I'm obsessed with dogs) that I never even played the bonus game and wasted the CE price.

I think your games have gorgeous graphics and great storylines. If it weren't for this one issue, I'd be all over them. But it bothers me enough that playing the games isn't as enjoyable as it should be, and I can only fit a certain number of games into my budget.

posted in Fierce Tales: Marcus' Memory Collector's Edition on Jul 7, 13 8:03 PM
I love the idea of this game, but I'm not going to buy it. The first "Fierce Tales" game ended up being a major source of irritation for me due to the "You can use something here" issue. This one has replaced that with "Oops! Not gonna do that again." It's even more irritating. Tell me something useful. "This soil is dry." "This item is up too high." "I need something to cut this." If you're not going to do that, don't say anything and let me figure it out on my own. I really hope the game developers listen, because otherwise, this has all the hallmarks of a game I'd love. That one issue kept me from enjoying the first game, and I won't be spending my paltry funds on a game that will do the same thing.

posted in Mystery Case Files®: Shadow Lake Collector's Edition on Nov 24, 12 7:31 PM
Interesting. The trial was, IMHO, pretty truncated, but I think this one'll eventually be a buy. I'm not entirely sure I'm a fan of the SG, but everything else is pretty cool. The MCF games use live actors, which I'm generally not a fan of, but they at least take the time to do it well. They're integrated better into the scenes than in other games.

And hello, Caroline in the City! Lea Thompson plays a sort of daffy psychic helping you along in the game. Wonder how they got her involved?

Anyway, it looks interesting, and I'll likely buy it.

posted in Abyss: The Wraiths of Eden on Nov 5, 12 11:37 PM
Loved this game! This maker has been putting out some excellent games, CE value for SE prices. This definitely lived up to the last game of theirs I played. Excellent art style--loved the art deco feel of Eden--lots of interest in the gameplay, and some really good "jump" scares.

Just a couple of cons: The voice acting wasn't all great, especially the guy who voiced Greg. He appears to have come from the William Shatner school of acting. Also, more of a suggestion, but it would've been nice to have been able to leap between locations with the map.

Overall, though, I'm really happy with this game, and I'll certainly be interested in more games by this maker.

posted in Abyss: The Wraiths of Eden on Nov 4, 12 11:32 PM
Okay, turned out stupid. There's a little control panel between the fan and the lab table. The fan starts right up when you flip the switch. Just ask for a hint if you don't spot it. Which, you'll note, I didn't before coming here.

posted in Abyss: The Wraiths of Eden on Nov 4, 12 11:06 PM
I'm in the lab to make the candles, but I have to clear the air first. How do I get the fan working?

Really enjoying the game, but was hoping for a walkthrough when I came here.

Overall, a solidly entertaining game with a lot to recommend it. I enjoyed the central mystery and storyline, the artwork was great, the minigames were challenging, and I really liked the mixture of straight h-o scenes and "put the items where they belong" scenes. Plus, achievements always make me happy.

Quibbles: There was a lot of backtracking. A "teleporting" map would've made it much easier. It's the Strategy Guide that really bugged me, though. Not only did it not keep up with you, it automatically reverted to the table of contents every time you pulled it up. So, if you have to use it twice in the same chapter, it's twice the flipping of pages to find what you need. Please, don't do that.

Also, the bonus game got dull quickly. It felt like the makers tried to pad it out with a bunch of h-o scenes. They felt like a hassle after a while.

Still, I enjoyed the game, and this is one of my favorite series. "Cinderstone Orphanage" was definitely superior, but I believe it came out after this one, so, kudos to the makers. I look forward to playing "The Last Performance".

posted in Web of Deceit: Black Widow Collector's Edition on Oct 25, 12 10:52 PM
I got through less than ten minutes of the game demo. I can take spiders, I can even take the horrible live action/CG fusion so many game makers are determined to foist upon us for reasons that escape me, and even the incredibly slow speech isn't really a problem. Voices can be turned off and dialogue clicked through.

It's the "I can use something here" problem. It annoyed me so badly in "Fierce Tales: A Dog's Heart" that I barely finished the game and didn't bother with the bonus play. Gamemakers, if you're reading, please, please change it. Yes, we need to use something in the areas where the cursor changes. That's something we all know. You don't need to tell us that. Give us some information that's useful. After the bad experience with "Fierce Tales", I'm not buying another game that does that.

posted in Web of Deceit: Black Widow Collector's Edition on Oct 25, 12 10:41 PM
I agree, this is incredibly annoying. It was annoying in "Fierce Tales: A Dog's Heart", too. Same maker? But, yeah, given how incredibly frustrating I found it in that game, I've decided against buying this one.

posted in Dark Arcana: The Carnival on Oct 12, 12 10:18 PM
This game is a great value. It's CE quality at SE price. It's really got it all. Great graphics, great story, interesting mini-games, an alternative to h-o scenes, extra achievements, even an extra chapter. Plus, aspect correction! Very helpful for those of us without huge screens. I've finished the main story and just need to complete the last chapter now.

If there's just one thing I could suggest, it's that the map could be used to move between locations. The backtracking gets tiresome. That's a small thing, though. I don't have any other complaints or suggestions. Great work, Artifex Mundi!

Definitely a great game. It kept me interested and challenged all the way through, the graphics were great, and I loved the concept of the Sisters. Some of the mini-games were quite difficult, but I was able to do them all without skipping. Overall, I thought it was an excellent game.

Cons: The map really wasn't worth much. You couldn't use it to transport, and it only indicated h-o scenes rather than available actions in a location. My main gripe, though, was with the "magnifying glass". It was so indiscriminate that I had a hard time finding available actions when they were smack up against items with descriptions. I would suggest to the makers that there be something to indicate available actions as opposed to useless descriptions, like cogwheels instead of the magnifying glass.

That said, I'm looking forward to the next entry in this series. Cinderella, I presume?

posted in Grim Tales: The Legacy Collector's Edition on Sep 17, 12 10:41 PM
Overall a beautiful and enjoyable game to play. It's long, but full of enough content to make it not feel tedious. Also, the map was nice. Having to backtrack in a game with so many locations can be a real drag, so being able to hop between locations was an intelligent choice on the part of the gamemakers. Also, thanks for not saddling the voice actors with bad British accents.

The one problem I encountered was that the map would not always identify locations with actions available. Several times, I got stuck and had to use the hint, which would send me to a location without the exclamation point that was supposed to signal objectives. Once I wised to that, I spent more time than I'd have liked going over old locations just to make sure they were really tapped out.

Other than that, it was a fun, challenging game, and I'm looking forward to the last chapter in the saga.

posted in Fierce Tales: The Dog's Heart Collector's Edition on Aug 24, 12 11:11 PM
I'm a dog lover, so of course I bought this after playing the demo. Good graphics, nice music, interesting concept.

Unfortunately, as the game progressed, I got more and more frustrated. I felt like I was going to punch my computer next time I saw a "I can use something here". Absolutely useless! When I click on something, I want extra information. Sometimes, I wasn't even all that clear on what, exactly, I was looking at, or what needed to be done. The game gave me no help, and I ended up using the SG heavily near the end of the game because nothing was intuitive. The "soap" puzzle made no sense at all to me, and I skipped it.

So, word to the makers: When you make the sequel, please don't just cut and paste "I can use something here" whenever an action is required. For instance, the thing with using a diamond in a hole in the ceiling in order to illuminate the crack in the wall was not something that would've occurred to me. "I need something to focus the moonlight" would've made that a whole lot clearer. Instead, I had to use the SG to figure out what I was supposed to do. And the mining wagon--all the text said was, "This is in my way." So, when I got the lever, I tried to use it there. It didn't work. Meanwhile, all the door was saying was, "I can use something here." Again, even something like, "What could I use to pull this door open?" would've made things much clearer. You don't have to spell things out, but at least give a hint toward the correct course of action.

posted in Tales of Lagoona: Orphans of the Ocean on Aug 12, 12 10:10 AM
Oh, and if I could offer just one tip to the gamemakers: Make it easier to navigate around the orphanage grounds. There were times when I wanted to move between locations, and it was a clumsy process. But that's my only real gripe with the game.

posted in Tales of Lagoona: Orphans of the Ocean on Aug 11, 12 1:12 PM
I normally play darker, more complex games, but this was a very fun, relaxing change of pace. I loved all the little, geeky in-jokes (Wesley Wyndam-Pike!), and the mini-games were fun to play. I also really enjoyed being able to create a new look for the orphanage and grounds. This is a game the whole family can enjoy.

Go to:   

KEY:    Unread    Read    Sticky    Locked    Announcement    Moved    Moderator