Posts created by cathybobcat

posted in Harrowed Halls: Lakeview Lane on Dec 1, 17 3:11 PM
This is a very time consuming and involved game that is overwhelmed with mini games. It is really excessive...thank goodness for a skip which I used most of the time. The graphics are excellent and the hos I came across were intricately done requiring thought and interaction. I played most of this demo some time ago and think there were only 2 hos and one of them was repeated. It didn't bother me because of the intricacy of the hos. They were very well done and it is disappointing that there weren't more.

I found the hint to be totally useless at times, which is why I didn't not finish the demo when I first played it. I was in a scene and it kept directing me to a place where there was nothing to be done and then to my inventory where I didn't have a clue what to do because of the lack of the hint's specifics...so I just went into a different scene and consulted the walkthrough for some guidance today when I resumed the demo. This happened at only 2 scenes...both of them in the 2 inside rooms by the swing in the back yard.

When I returned to the game I tested out the hint system to be sure it was working properly... and so far it is...at least to the end of the demo. There were a couple of mini games I encountered that could not be skipped, but they weren't difficult, so I think you would make it through fine. I am not a puzzle mini game person and have problems with them often...so if I can do it~

I can't comment on the story...there are so many mini games, tasks to complete...it takes up the time and concentration, but it seems to be ok....enough for me to purchase this DD. It does appear that you will get your money's worth out of this...it looks to be long. I will probably start it over again from the beginning so I can take my time.

posted in Living Legends: Beasts of Bremen on Nov 30, 17 9:08 PM
Gorgeous graphics. The effort and expertise put into this well creative game is commendable. The puzzles are fun and doable. The hos are beautifully done and interactive. Love the rope dolls...adorable...and wish we could have seen more of them in the game. Story line is interesting and the game flows well. The colors are rich and warm, adding to a very inviting atmosphere that we can enter into and enjoy. This game is player friendly for everyone, with a well balance of everything. I am going to check out the CE for this one.

posted in Dark City: London Collector's Edition on Nov 30, 17 3:58 PM
Played 40 minutes...that's it. Didn't care for this one at all. The graphics were dark and the story uninteresting. There were too many time consuming puzzles which I skipped. I didn't like the black and white or sketch hos...or word ones or finding an amount of items. They were poorly done. Thought it was amusing to need to find a zipper pull in the list hos. The creativity and emphasis was more on puzzles.

It was depressing to see someone killed under a bell. All I wanted to do was get him out....and I never heard of a cat liking sausage either. I don't care for acting as a police officer fighting with anyone or making arrests. Hand cuffing the kid in the carriage was when I had enough. Too much of that in real life and it is not entertaining to me.

Scenes were depressive and I had a difficult time seeing the collectibles because of the scenes being dark and not very clear due to the poor coloring. The extras include replay of mini games/puzzles and hos. I wouldn't even consider wanting to replay any of them....or continuing on with this game. It was boring and stupid.

posted in Rite of Passage: Deck of Fates Collector's Edition on Nov 26, 17 7:13 PM
Made a mistake and posted this under CE, but decided to leave it. I have put it under SE, which is the DD for this day. Actually I was considering buying the CE, mainly because of the extra gameplay, but there wasn't enough reviews about it for me to take that risk. I did look in the Extras and didn't see where you could replay puzzles, only hos. I don't care for puzzles, but can't imagine them incorporating a replay of hos and not puzzles. If anyone knows about the bonus game play, it would be helpful to hear about it. I think the SE is a great buy for the $2.99. I did play the entire demo of the CE and the SE.

posted in Rite of Passage: Deck of Fates on Nov 26, 17 6:57 PM
Because of the few reviews, I wanted to add a comment that might be helpful to those reading the unfavorable opinions. I own all of these games except for Heart of the Storm. I have just bought this one and am enjoying it. The graphics are beautiful and even though there are too many puzzles, some of them are not taxing...those are generally the ones I complete...the easy ones. I always play in custom mode. The game play, story, and artwork in the graphics take precedent over the puzzles to me for this game. The colors are rich and atmospheric. I am disappointed that there are not many hos...at least not from the demo, but I still rather like the story and definitely the scenes. It does load slow and there are dialogues from the characters that you do not have to interact with ( which is a plus). The hint is very helpful, but does not teleport. The map will do that, however. I was not impressed with the map, but it is efficient enough and easy to navigate. I wondered about choosing the cards if it changes anything, but it does not. No matter what card you choose for that particular chapter will be the right one for that chapter. This is a game I will be relaxing with and taking my time to enjoy. Maybe you will, too.

posted in Hidden Expedition: The Curse of Mithridates on Nov 26, 17 6:52 PM
Only lasted 25 minutes. First scene was nice, then everything became very bland and dull. 1st hos was window mode...what? It only took seconds to complete. 2nd was very hard to find items...very dry and poor graphics. I had to use hints in that hos which is something I rarely do for a hos. If there had been an alternative or skip for it I would have used it. Don't care for puzzles and found the instructions confusing anyway. Skipped them. I began using the hint often because of boredom. Story was uninteresting as well as the game play. Time to say goodbye.

posted in Rite of Passage: Deck of Fates Collector's Edition on Nov 26, 17 4:34 PM
Because of the few reviews, I wanted to add a comment that might be helpful to those reading the unfavorable opinions. I own all of these games except for Heart of the Storm. I have just bought this one and am enjoying it. The graphics are beautiful and even though there are too many puzzles, some of them are not taxing...those are generally the ones I complete...the easy ones. I always play in custom mode. The game play, story, and artwork in the graphics take precedent over the puzzles to me for this game. The colors are rich and atmospheric. I am disappointed that there are not many hos...at least not from the demo, but I still rather like the story and definitely the scenes. It does load slow and there are dialogues from the characters that you do not have to interact with ( which is a plus). The hint is very helpful, but does not teleport. The map will do that, however. I was not impressed with the map, but it is efficient enough and easy to navigate. I wondered about choosing the cards if it changes anything, but it does not. No matter what card you choose for that particular chapter will be the right one for that chapter. This is a game I will be relaxing with and taking my time to enjoy. Maybe you will, too.

posted in Harrowed Halls: Hell's Thistle Collector's Edition on Nov 25, 17 1:43 PM
Why is this categorized as a HOG when there are hardly any hos? The 2 that I came across were repeated. This is a puzzle heavy game, some easy, some not. They are time consuming and enough time is spent going back and forth looking for inventory items. The teleport hint is very helpful. Some of the tasks are juvenile, which you know all about. I found the hos to be a challenge at times or so easy I just breezed through them. The were not very well done artistically. There is not much emphasis on them in this game at all. It is as though they just put a couple hos in the game to be done with it. Unless you are really into puzzle mini games, I would not even suggest this for a beginner.

I also do not feel this is CE worthy. I did not see where you can replay either hos or puzzles which should be added to a CE's extras. I don't care for wallpapers and concept art...and was concentrating more on gameplay than I was any collectibles in this particular game.

I am very disappointed in this game because the graphics are very good and really adds to the atmosphere and story. I played the complete demo for this and the SE. I really wanted to like this game, but honestly do not because of the amount of puzzles in it. There is no balance and I lost interest in it. It becomes boring after a while and I just didn't want to spend any more time....or money on it.

posted in Harrowed Halls: Hell's Thistle on Nov 24, 17 6:17 PM
A disappointing game. Not enough hos. I gave up on it because of the numerous puzzles which some of them I did. Even though some of the puzzles were easy, they were excessive and game play became tedious and boring because of them and all the inventory you have to collect. It's a job. There was only one real hos I can remember in the demo, but it was repeated and who cares for that? There were a few other very superficial small hos (that I don't consider hos at all) where you have the word finds and also a certain amount of items that were in a sketch type...forget it. The emphasis is on puzzles, as usual. The graphics are good, creating an atmosphere conducive to the story. Looking for items with the phone was quite bland...and some of the inventory items you have to find are...well, you know...ridiculous. I mute sound, so cannot comment on music or voices. I really wanted to like this game because it began in a relaxing, easy manner and I thought you could progress through it without being stressed out with so many puzzles and going back and forth with inventory items as well.

posted in Fright Chasers: Dark Exposure on Nov 21, 17 9:18 PM
A boring game with too many items to find multiples of....a chore and tedious. Felt like I was being held hostage in the first room with all of the tasks to be completed...only to have more and more tasks upstairs, looking for inventory to place here and there. Too much of that stuff and not enough story and game flow. Found the candles and lights to be glaring and distracting. Skipped puzzles. Another gadget to find balls of light....oh no! How about the drone to get the key down? Wasn't that fun? Graphics in the grave scene was attractive and even relaxing, but I was tired of collecting inventory, going back and forth, feeling I was going nowhere, so exited the game. Had enough of exerting my energy and time with this useless waste of a game.

posted in Mystery Case Files: Broken Hour on Nov 21, 17 7:51 PM
27 mini games-14 hos? There are other things I would rather spend my time and effort on than an overwhelming 27 mini games, as well as puzzles within hos. Bye.

Love your series lists. A great deal of time and effort go into these and I have used them as references. Thank you.

How worse can the games get? Is this supposed to be MCF? I own 10 of these and this is not the caliber of MCF whatsoever. It has to be a different group of people turning out this inferior junk. This is by far the worst MCF game of all and does not even hold a candle or deserve to be compared to any of the others. It does not warrant the title of MCF. MCF has always had a uniqueness of its own. It was in a class by itself. But this is in a class of trash all its own. I am not an advanced player, nor do I like harder...harder...harder, which is why I don't own some of the others. I do not like puzzles and skipped them in this game as I do most other games. The only thing I found amusing was the name CROAKER. Other than that, this game is a complete joke, and it's not going to be on me, because I am not buying it. [Removed by Moderator]

The HOS were so bad, I wish there had been an alternative, and I have never said that. Poor graphics...junk pile making it difficult to see the items because of the annoying reflective light shining in the scene. And the hos was repeated which is a real turn off. LAZY and no effort put into this game. How about the slipper used to scoop the nuts? Revolting. And the potato? Are they serious!? Story line isn't even worth mentioning. 2nd hos I did not even finish, it was so nauseating. I exited the entire game, so I could take an antacid.

[Removed by Moderator]

Started out great...if you like a gothic and dark atmospheres, which I do...but as the demo progressed it did a total turn around..to saving Karen from snakes? (WHAT?)....and rescuing Nathan from a tank like he is Houdini. I didn't care much for being greeted by someone pointing a shotgun at me in the beginning of the game. There are many tasks to complete, some of which I thought were ridiculous as well as tedious...finding this and that to put here and there. I found myself using the hint a great deal to get moving in this game to see where it was going, but the demo seemed very short.

I was hoping to like this game as I own most of the others, but am disappointed so far and do not know that I am inclined to buying it yet. Would like to read opinions of those who have bought the game. A great disappointment is there are no collectibles...and this is not going to go over well at all. What is with collecting points for making decisions and who cares about that, anyway? It's like the developers didn't feel like taking the time to incorporate collectibles.

In the extras I counted 17 HOS---18 mini games that you can replay. I was not impressed with the 3 HOS I came across, one being spot the difference, finding clock parts, (huh?) and the third was a scrolling scene to find dangerous animals (brilliant). The first mini game was an arcade style of shooting bats...then placing skulls that are on chains into open slots, and climbing a wall. Real cool, don't you agree?

It is a pain having to keep clicking on conversations, then having to choose your response. Is there anyone who likes this sort of thing? If so, enjoy because there is plenty of it. We also have a crow to help once in a while which was ok...Didn't find him to be time consuming and I actually thought he added to the game at first...until the whole atmosphere of the game changed from the gothic to a regular and not spooky type game. It seems like it may even be headed to being a circus which is not a bad analogy to how things are going, so for you who like a non gothic, spooky game, this does take a turn...just those snakes which we could have done without, but they don't last long.. + there is a wolf almost jumping out of the screen..+ the bats....then that's it, at least for the demo. And so far, the only dark scenes were the 2 in the beginning.

What comes after the demo, I have no idea. At this stage of the game it is a total gamble to buy it. Think I'll wait for the SE.

posted in Chimeras: Blinding Love Collector's Edition on Nov 15, 17 9:23 PM
What a boring game. I was almost falling asleep at one point. So many inventory items to collect, going back and forth trying to remember where they go. It is utterly tiring. Once again a game overwhelmed with puzzle after puzzle. Poor hos which I mainly breezed through...not much effort put into them. The color in them and art work was poor. It is plain to see that developers are now puzzle obsessed and are centering their efforts on that. I skip most of them in games and I will not buy them. I'd like to be able to play a game and enjoy a story without all these mini games and excessive inventory items taking over game play. What story? There is not a story with all this busy busy going on. It's exhausting. And why are these games categorized as Hidden Object games when they are everything but that? There is no balance in these games anymore and I truly wish they would just make a separate category of Puzzle/ Adventure/ Mini games, and leave to those of us who enjoy HOGS to just that. They sure don't make them like they used to, and I am finding myself playing older games, enjoying and appreciating them like never before.

posted in Mystery Tales: Dangerous Desires on Nov 12, 17 9:26 PM
Didn't even finish the demo. Too many mini games, not enough hogs. I wasn't impressed with the few hos I came across either. Do you ever notice how little time it takes to complete a hos compared to doing the puzzles? I won't even bother and skip them the majority of the time because they are stressful. Not my idea of relaxation at all and too many games are overwhelmed with them now. Even though the game flowed, it was exhausting going back and forth finding things to go here and there....and every time you turn around...there's a mini game. It's too much and distracts from the story.

posted in Myths of the World: Behind the Veil Collector's Edition on Nov 11, 17 12:48 PM
There are too many mini games/puzzles which I am not interested in wasting precious time with. It is distracting, tedious, frustrating and draining to be overwhelmed with them in games. Sometimes they are surely not good for one's self esteem. I skip them. From the extras I counted 21 mini games to 14 hops. The graphics are beautiful with extremely vibrant and festive colors. A great deal of effort went into its artistic creativity. I did enjoy the few hops I came across which were different and not your typical kind, although because of the bright colors, I did find some objects difficult to find. I liked the one with the stone...and that to me, was a combination of a mini game/hop, but was very creative.

I played the entire demo, but found myself getting bored with it...perhaps because of all of the scenes being the same bright colors. It has a tendency to make the scenes look too similar. Story line is ok, but appears to be slow moving. The game has a definite atmosphere to it...loved all the skeletons, It does have a different ambience to it, setting it apart from the other games coming out lately. Am undecided as to whether I am going to buy the CE or wait for the SE. Have not read any opinions as to whether this is CE worthy. The story line might not be all that great for some, but if you enjoy a different kind of game, overlook all of the mind bending mini games, then maybe it is the one for you. And if you are one who is into puzzle/mini games, then I think this would definitely be to your liking.

Decided no buy because of all the mini games/puzzles. I don't care at all to have an option to replay them or the hops in this game. Will wait for the SE, so I can look at the walkthrough.

posted in Witch's Tales on Nov 9, 17 9:00 PM

Thanks for the great post Pennmom36. You summed it up well and I agree with you about these 2 games from Shaman. I also like them much better than Clutter games by Joe. I like the story lines... and how about the great colors in the scenes as well as the colorful borders? Very artistic. It really enhances game play making it more enjoyable. I love them and hope they make some more.

I recommend this game for anyone and doubt very seriously that you would be disappointed. It is absorbing and the graphics and gameplay are an absolute delight. Have fun~

posted in Haunted Hotel XV: The Evil Inside on Nov 9, 17 8:32 PM
I tried to get into this game. I played both CE and SE demos and really made an effort to like it....but there were just too many inventory items to collect ...too much back and forth....too dark...and too many puzzles. It was tedious and exhausting to say the least... and with all this useless busyness, one loses interest in a game. There is no flow....and it is a no go for me.

And I would like to add that the paranormal gadget to find circles was ridiculous.

posted in Vacation Adventures: Cruise Director 4 on Nov 9, 17 8:19 PM
How wonderful to have this 4th addition~ These are some of my favorite games of all and I own every one of them. It is always a joy when a new one is released and I am also off to buy right away. It would be great to have another Halloween one...haven't had one in some time, but maybe next year. Christmas Wonderland (I am so looking forward to the next one) and Cruise Director are my favorites though. I agree with Valdy about the colors in Park Ranger. They are too muted, but like and buy them anyway. You just can't help but have a good time with these games. They are for everyone...and the work and effort that goes into them is commendable.

So now it is off to board ship and enjoy yet another fantastic cruise to other exciting locations....have a drink...or a few...sit back and relax, listening to the delightful sounds of the ocean, and the relaxing jazz...and whatever your pleasure~

We can still dream can't we? Bon Voyage. Have a good time, everyone~

Go to:   

KEY:    Unread    Read    Sticky    Locked    Announcement    Moved    Moderator