Posts created by xander32839

posted in Farm for your Life on Jun 4, 13 1:45 PM
With all the negative reviews, I feel like I need to add my two cents. I have not had the movement issues, freezing, or other problems that other fishies have experienced. Yes, the graphics are very old-school and the scale of items is extremely out of proportion. Movement is clunky compared to other games, And the instructions are limited. The music is horrible, but I usually turn it all the way down anyway.

However...this was a buy for me. I actually prefer a game that allows me to experiment and figure things out on my own. Too many developers feel they have to hold our hands throughout the entire game. People complain if the tutorial is too long and intrusive. They complain if the tutorial doesn't exist. You can't please everyone. Farm for your Life works for me. If you can't figure things out on your own, you won't survive the zombie apocalypse.

I'm not sure what the problem is with the gates that others have reported - mine worked perfectly. I added it as a portion of the fence and it opens automatically when you walk through it. Use your axe to chop tree stumps, pick up the log, then right-click to drop the log at the end of your fence. You can pick them up again to move them - but be careful that you are not holding your axe or you will destroy that log.

The screen moves when you move your cursor to the edge, then you click where you want your character to go. I haven't had a character disappear, but when they talk to other characters there is an odd glitch with the graphics that causes the character under the mouse to turn blue. Not really a big issue for me. Also, you can hover over your large character to click on an item beneath him, so the scale does not interfere with gameplay.

The game itself consists of: farming your crops (plant, water, harvest), using those crops to cook meals for other survivors (they pay in trade), buying new seeds and recipes with your earnings, upgrading your equipment, exploring the area (some sections are blocked until you build a bridge, etc), and fighting off the zombies at night. So far, I have not encountered more than a couple at a time.

Thus far, I have enjoyed playing Farm for your Life. If you enjoy games like the two Island Castaways or Wandering Willows, then give this one a trial.

posted in Hero of the Kingdom on Dec 20, 12 11:35 AM
Thank you to _DD and cherbtoo. I thought I would enjoy this game, but did not in 20 minutes of demo. I gave up until others reviewed further. Now, I'll go back to test it some more.

My initial impression was that it's similar to Island Castaway, but I was led around the entire time, performing easy tasks in the order they chose. There was no indication that I would ever be allowed free reign to explore and level up on my own. It all seemed pointless to click on each circle, read their (grammatically horrible) text, and follow a "choose your path" adventure. The only items I collected were from clicking big circles on the map which told you what to do next (with a check mark or an X to let you know if you were capable of performing that action yet). There was absolutely no challenge to the game whatsoever. It would have been nice if they informed you that it was still part of the tutorial.

I'm looking forward to moving ahead in the demo. If the game is similar to Island Castaway, then I'll probably love it (I own both one and two). My main concern with HotK is the grammar, so I hope the text boxes are less frequent as I continue.

I'll return later with an update on my own findings.

The game does improve a little as you move further along the map. Collecting the hidden mushrooms and eggs on the map added a cute hidden object aspect to it. It's still a very simple game to play, along the lines of the two Island Castaways games or Wandering Willows. Being able to move freely and attempt tasks in whichever order I prefer is a big plus. Luckily, too, the short text parts to read are short - I wish developers would pay more attention to that part of the game (and I'm talking about ALL developers). There are quite a few good games that I refused to purchase simply because the grammar was atrocious.

All in all, I enjoyed this game enough to buy it. I'm using a credit, though.

posted in Snow Globe: Farm World on Aug 15, 12 4:16 AM
A couple of additional great points of the game which I haven't seen mentioned yet:
1. You can drag your buildings around to place them yourself! What an excellent new benefit.
2. You can set up your shipments to town in advance - the truck will finish the current trip and automatically pick up the next load.

posted in Farm Quest on Aug 6, 12 2:13 AM
Cute game and challenging to complete levels (even though I was playing Relax Mode). The screens are small and it requires some planning to clear the items.

First off, it's the typical match 3 (click and drag) PLUS you can right-click on groups of 3 or more to clear them. Collecting items will clear the board of the typical dirt, rocks, etc. - but you also need to watch the animals at the bottom of the screen and clear specific items to feed them. Certain farm animals become available to help you (providing bonuses like clearing cells) but you need to drop items off the board to 'supply' them (bones for dog, fish for cat, worms for rooster). On top of all that, I noticed that sheep will randomly run across the top of the screen - when you click on them, it adds money/points.

In between levels, you are building up your farm with the points you've acquired. Nothing special there - if you have the points, you click on whatever item is available and it appears (no choices for customizing). There is a trophy room for those who feel the need to win gold on everything.

Options were included for cursor (sensitive & slow for custom), sound, music (absolutely horrible IMHO), two resolution settings, and windowed option.

I'm not sure about the length, but there were 12 weeks of play, each week was broken down into days (not sure if it was 7 or only 5), and each day had three M3 boards. Possibly more boards per day in the later levels???

All in all, it was a pleasant diversion for an hour. I'll probably buy it as a daily deal or other sale, but not at full price. I don't mean that it's not worth full price, only that I have so many other M3 games and this one didn't WOW me enough.

It's definitely worth the trial and a purchase.

posted in Jo's Dream: Organic Coffee on Aug 1, 12 5:06 AM
Thanks gmac1007. I already tried the calendar, but it doesn't let you replay days. I'm really not sure what purpose it serves.

I'll try the pause button. I'm not sure why I didn't think of that - must have been a blond moment. lol

One more thing to add to my prior post of issues: the areas to click are tight which makes it more difficult when you're hurrying to serve an angry customer.

posted in Jo's Dream: Organic Coffee on Aug 1, 12 3:32 AM
I liked this game and I'm off to buy (with a credit). However, this is the most challenging TM game I've encountered! Good graphics, decent music (with the ability to buy a jukebox and change the tunes), decent upgrades, trophies, etc.

BUT, this is not for beginners. There are quite a few negatives I encountered during the demo:
1. There is no option to replay a day or go back to replay prior days. If anyone else discovers a way to do this, please post it in the forum.
2. Customer orders do not remain on the screen. You have to click them again to view their order. If you try to click them while holding an item, it delivers it to them (even if it's wrong). They may or may not accept it and will get ticked off at your incompetence.
3. The BIGGEST problem - customer patience runs out extremely fast! Perfect days will be few and far between in this game! For the first time EVER, I didn't get perfect on level one! (Though the tutorial interfered with completing the level). On most of the days, I lost at least one customer.
4. You can hire help, but they get in the way more than they help you out. If you leave them alone to help a customer, it's very likely that they will not complete the order before the customer gets mad and leaves. You need to work with them. The help is also slow, but can be sped up with later upgrades.
5. There's quite a learning curve (for me, at least) with the coffee drinks they order. During the demo I served Espresso, Americano, Tea, milk, caramel, whipped cream, grated chocolate, cakes, ice cream (various flavors), cake, and croissants. I'm sure there will be a lot more later according to the menu.
6. You have to clean tables yourself - just a click on each seat and then the trash can (many can be cleaned at once). Food items must be restocked when you run out. Unfortunately, your helper will try to do this for you and he takes forever. Managing your employees is half the challenge.

Obviously, I played the timed mode. I'll try relaxed mode later under a different user.

I realize that my list of negatives is long, and normally I would quickly delete any game this difficult. Yet there's something fresh and challenging about it. I suppose I'm only buying it to prove to myself that "I can DO this!". It will NOT beat me! LOL.

Give the demo a trial and decide for yourself. Maybe relaxed mode will be more fun. Hopefully, with two modes of play, it will attract both the frantic fishies and the casual fishies.

posted in Megaplex Madness: Summer Blockbuster on Jul 21, 12 2:42 AM
I demo'd the game during a sale and had decided to purchase it, until....the game completely froze when I tried to exit the arcade game. After reading the tech issues here, I assume that the problem is caused by screen resolution settings.

Even at sale price, no game is worth the inconvenience of changing your screen resolution just so you can play it. If this really is the problem, why won't the developers fix it? I get irritated at all the games that change my resolution (without changing it back after closing the game), but that's preferable to game crashes.

It's too bad, because I tried both versions (Now Playing and Megaplex Madness) and wanted to buy both at the sale prices. The game is fun, but they just lost two sales due to this glitch.

posted in Old Clockmaker's Riddle on Jul 15, 12 2:11 AM
This is a cute M3 game with very familiar bonuses (so far). I like that you can choose which bonuses you want after earning the 'gems' to buy it. The main boards have been easy for the first 5 or so houses, but the bonus levels (seemingly random levels) are more of a challenge. I've had no problems collecting enough to buy whatever bonuses I want, but I have not needed to use any bonuses to win a level.

It seems like you can replay previous levels, but I didn't try. There are 'only' 50 levels in the game, yet the levels can last quite a while. It has an interesting 'timer' element - once the timer runs out on a level, you lose a certain number of the clock hands you're collecting. So, if you're a slow player, you'll just have to play even longer to catch up and complete the level. I'm not sure how people will react to that, but I love it.

My only complaints with this game (in 35 minutes of demo) are:

Major - the additional installations they require to run the game (including a warning that 'you have a newer version of the program, please correct this and try again'), yet the game runs fine when I disregarded the warning;

Minor - the music becomes irritating. I'm glad I always turn it down or off when playing games;

Minor, but a pet peeve of mine - Very irritating grammatical errors, often changing the intended meaning.

Overall, I enjoyed playing and will use a punch to buy it.

posted in Old Clockmaker's Riddle on Jul 15, 12 1:09 AM
I also encountered the two programs - which have been installed previously. I'm not sure why some of the games insist on re-installing.

However, this time was infuriating. My version of MS C++ was determined to be a "newer version" than the version needed for the game; then it told me to resolve that issue before running the game. Ha! Not very likely. I'm not downgrading to a prior version just to run a new (demo) game. Hopefully, it will still run properly (I haven't tried it yet).

I'll edit this post after attempting to play it.

EDIT: The game played fine, even after the warning messages. The only problem I noticed was the intro music stopped in mid-tune (which was actually quite pleasant).

posted in The Bluecoats: North vs South on Jun 1, 12 1:16 AM
Thank you Daisy_May for your review! I quit the game, but kept it installed until I read other people's thoughts about it. Because of you, I'll give it another try!

My first impressions in the demo (prior to Daisy's review) were horrible. My head was blown off every time because I could not crouch down. Every battle was a disaster - it seemed like everything favored the computer player. There was no explanation of the supply lines (or anything else). Each turn seemed to take forever.

Even with all of the huge negatives, I was still tempted by the game. The graphics were cute and the concept was great. I really wanted to like it. I'll change the settings and give it another try. [*fingers crossed*]

***After a second playing***
It's a cute game, but not really for me. The advanced options allow you to turn off the "mini-game battles", but it turns off all of them. I still couldn't master the shootouts, and the other battles were too tedious to play. The gameboard is limited to the actual states involved, so there are not many options after you master your technique.

Although I won't be purchasing this game (maybe when it's on sale), I'm looking forward to future games from this developer. I have a good feeling about them. It is a great concept with a combination of strategy (very little), and arcade action. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if they next release a world war version and then possibly galactic war. Hopefully, the instructions will improve, too.

I'm sure there will be some fishies that will enjoy this one. There's only one way to find out - try it!

posted in Settlement: Colossus on Mar 7, 12 1:33 PM
What do you mean "dig up"?!?

I play these games all the time! LOL. I am totally hooked on the gameplay of all the Spiderweb Software games. I spend more time playing them than the hundreds from BFG.

I agree with your comments - I can only take so much of the farming, cooking, clicking of the 'popular' games. I truly enjoy them, but I have to be 'in the mood' for them.

Avernum 4 (and the other 5 games in the series), all 5 of the Geneforge series, and the newest Avadon: The Black Fortress are my 'fallback' games. I'm counting the days until they release the newest Avernum in April 2012.

One point to note (for newbies to the game): Although the games are turn-based for combat and for most actions, the world doesn't stop when you walk away from your pc for a moment. You might come back to find that a wandering patrol or monster has found you.

One of the greatest points of the game: Your choices and actions in the game determine your character's path. If you attack a shopkeeper, the entire town or region could become your sworn enemy. If you steal something, they might hunt you down. Your responses during dialogues will change your character's reputation - some new areas may open up to you (as friendly), while others become hostile. For this reason, their games are EXCELLENT for replay!

posted in Picket Fences™ on Mar 7, 12 1:18 PM
After reading George's post, I remembered one other trick to the game that I don't believe was mentioned in the tutorial. I only caught it by watching what the other (computer) players did during their turns.

You are not limited to the few upturned cards on display. Besides the bonus moves like borrowing from your opponents, you can also take the top down-faced card in the draw stack. You'll be taking a chance, but it really helps if the upturned cards are of no use to you. It can also deplete the deck quicker (if you're ahead in the game), forcing the game to end earlier.

posted in The Enchanted Kingdom: Elisa's Adventure on Mar 6, 12 8:49 PM
As everyone has already mentioned, this is a cute, slow-paced, fun game. Mostly Match-3 but includes hidden object scenes, puzzles, very easy word scrambles, and building a town. The story is cute, but the cut scenes take too long to click through.

The match-3 boards take a really long time to complete each one. Thank goodness the developers a have great way to compensate - the sidebar fills up as you make matches, then slowly drains out when you pause. Each time it fills, you get a power-up to use whenever you need it. Each location offers different benefits - hammers, bombs, help buttons, etc. I don't feel pressured to complete the board quickly, I play at my own speed and collect the power-ups. These can either be used or sold for cash at the Store.

The hidden object scenes are another good twist. You find 5 or 10 of an item: shoes, swords, knives, frogs, etc. It makes the hunting much easier. I've only had to search hard for a couple of items - most are fairly easy. The scenes also contain hidden question marks which can be collected as hints (which can also be used in the M3 boards).

Though it wasn't mentioned in the 'tutorial', most items can be bought or sold in the Store. Power-ups are included in the Store. It took me a while before I realized this. You can buy special power-ups to clear rows or columns, hammer a block, blow up an area, or remove all of the same color blocks. There are additional (empty) spaces that I assume will be even more specials.

Somebody posted that the M3 boards did not have any matches to make. I find that hard to believe because I've noticed there is always at least one match, even if it's difficult to find (rocks, ice, or the diagonal board).

For the person who got stuck after completing all the goals on the scroll: try moving Elisa to the next area that opened up. She'll get a new list of goals.

Another poster mentioned that the girl wandered aimlessly on the useless map because you had to click Play to advance, not a location. Maybe they're confusing this with a different game? Or possibly there's an option I missed in settings to turn it off? When I click on a location, she walks to it and the game begins immediately for that location. I did not have the same problem they mentioned.

I also had no problems with saving or shutting down. I'm using Windows 7 and did not have to adjust the Compatibility settings.

posted in The Enchanted Kingdom: Elisa's Adventure on Mar 6, 12 7:20 PM
There are benefits to the upgrades - it depends on which building you upgrade. The town hall provides more money each day in taxes; the mage's tower gives more power-ups per day; the manufacturing buildings give more product for less raw material.

posted in The Enchanted Kingdom: Elisa's Adventure on Mar 5, 12 10:18 AM
Move your mouse to the edges of the screen and an arrow will appear. Then, you can scroll around the much larger map.

I checked it out myself before considering purchasing.

posted in Avernum 4 on Mar 4, 12 9:08 PM
All of Spiderweb Software's games (at least the ones I've tried) are fantastic and long.

If you enjoy Avernum 4, then try Avernum 5, and 6 from their website (just search for Spiderweb Software on google). Their other series (Geneforge) has 5 games also.

The newest game is Avadon: The Black Fortress. This year, they're releasing a new Avernum title.

If you couldn't tell already, I'm a major fan of their games! LOL. I anxiously await each new installment.

The developer doesn't offer any of his other games on BFG, but I've spoken to him (via e-mail) - I discovered his games through BFG and have now spent a fortune buying all his others. It's great advertising for him to attract a following. I'm hoping to convince him to release more on BFG - possibly some of his older games (which are still amazingly long).

posted in Avernum 4 on Mar 4, 12 8:57 PM
Not at that time, but as you progress through the game accomplishing other goals, some of those areas will open up to you.

posted in Settlement: Colossus on Mar 4, 12 4:29 PM
I just wanted to add my own two cents to this forum. Yes, this is a slower-paced game that many of the frantic TM masters will find boring. Personally, it is one of my top 10 favorite games. I love the relaxed gameplay, the beautiful scenes, and the variety of actions.

If you don't give the game a fair chance, you may get bored finding sticks and berries at the beginning. However, as you progress in technologies, you'll be searching for logs, wood planks, mushrooms, cheese, wine, etc. The scenes you search will alternate so you will not always be searching identical scenes or looking for the same items. For example, the lake has sticks, clay, logs, gold, mushrooms, and berries - does your village need wood or is it short on food? Maybe you need gold or clay to produce jewelry or pottery. It may be simple in the HOG sense, but the strategy makes it more challenging.

The HOG scenes are not static. The water flows, reeds blow in the wind, there may be rain and lightning. Yet these movements are not too distracting. They are somewhat interactive, too - if you click on frogs, they jump.

It may be a 'love it or hate it' game, but my advice is to try it for yourself. Don't let the negative comments deter you - make your own decision after giving it a (full) trial.

posted in Simplz Zoo on Mar 4, 12 4:03 PM
I totally agree with some of the other posters who loved the cartoonish graphics. Too many games today spend all their resources in creating spectacular graphics at the expense of gameplay, grammar (a personal pet peeve of mine), story, and/or uniqueness. Youngsters these days (anyone under 45 IMO) have been spoiled - they never enjoyed the original games we spent so much time playing. (Anyone remember Pong? LOL)

Simplz Zoo was an accident for me. I ignored it as 'just another Match-3' game for kids. Yet I downloaded the trial on a rainy day. Imagine my surprise when I cursed my pc as the demo ended! Forget the credits and punch card, I bought it outright!

It is a fun M3 that gets increasingly more difficult - I have played many levels dozens of times before I was able to move forward. The matching plays an important role in improving your zoo as you have to gather materials, workers, tiles, money, etc. Each upgrade or building you add provides increased resources or other bonuses for future M3 levels. The tiles you collect can be used to beautify your zoo.

Matching is further complicated (or enhanced) by making larger matches which add bonus tokens to the board (which help boost your resource gathering). This adds a level of challenge to each board - easy matches to increase money, or set up cascades to give you the matches you need to progress. This is NOT a simple 'click to clear the board' game.

Quarlesqueen has the right idea - we need a sequel soon! I love her idea about a carnival for the next one. They could add an entire series (which would make me VERY happy!): Jurassic Park, Haunted Island, Mars Colony, Romantic Retreat, etc. Every (sometimes over-used) theme that appears throughout BFG has potential.

Keep up the excellent work and give us a Simplz Carnival soon!

posted in Paradise Pet Salon on Mar 4, 12 1:05 AM
Finally a TM game with longevity!

Others have complained about the repetitive actions in this game. Have they ever played any OTHER TM games??? They are all repetitive. LOL.

This one is cute - decent graphics, no sluggish movement, ability to redecorate your shop and add new equipment. All the things I like about TM games. Plus, it's not a quick 40 level game - this could go on forever!

I also like that it takes a while (and some effort) to raise enough money to upgrade or relocate. That may put off quite a few of the faster gamers who want everything RIGHT NOW, but I enjoy the struggle. Part of the challenge is to keep up with the big chain store while you have limited funds. Isn't that why most of us play these games? To improve?

I've only played through the demo so far and I'm only in my first store. When the demo ended (in the middle of a hectic day!), I immediately used a credit to buy it. Now, I'm going back in to work my way up to the second location before I quit for the night.

Next Day: I finally made it to the third location. I still love this game, though I can see how many people will get bored. Each new location starts from scratch with just the minimum equipment. It's best to play the old store until you earn enough to upgrade the new location.

I suppose I'm in the minority because I like starting over - you don't earn as much money (so it takes you longer to upgrade), but I get a sense of accomplishment as the new store grow. The (very limited) decorative upgrades for walls and floors don't allow for much customization in the early shops. However, as you open new stores, more choices become available - and these can be used in your older stores as well.

So far, I only have a couple of suggestions to the developers:
1. The customers in line (coming and going) are too close together to click quickly.
2. The 'dust flying' while working on a pet covers up the next tasks they require - this makes it difficult to plan ahead. (Of course, that may be the intention!)
3. A little variety in the music would be great.
4. And, of course, more variety in pets, customers, equipment, walls, floors, etc. The more personalized the game becomes, the more fishies will be attracted to it!

All in all, I give this game a Thumbs Up.

Go to:   

KEY:    Unread    Read    Sticky    Locked    Announcement    Moved    Moderator