Posts created by jaramilo

posted in Dream Chronicles: The Book of Air on Feb 8, 11 7:49 PM
I was very disappointed in this game. The Dream Chronicles has been, to this point, an excellent puzzler. Wonderful graphics, beautiful art, lovely music, consistent storyline, challenging and relevant puzzles.

Aside from the beautiful art and a few overlapping charactors this is a completely different game. Very simple, repetitive, no story to speak of ... it appears this game is intended as a simple tutorial style introduction to a more complex game.

I REALLY HATED the fuel making mini-game. Completely breaks the story flow.

posted in Dream Chronicles: The Book of Air on Feb 8, 11 7:45 PM
SPOILER!!!!!!!! Be sure all 3 statues and instruments are assembled

Far left - the Figurehead is missing a single piece which can be found on the balcony at the far right

Center - Drum is missing 7 pieces I think ... the head, 3 drum bottoms, and 3 drum tops

Far right - the Harp is missing 2 pieces, the head and the tail/harp strings

posted in Wispa Forest on Sep 17, 10 3:23 PM
This sucked. Horrible graphics, long exposition .... slow game play

I give it a minus 3 out of 5

posted in Nancy Drew - Secret Of The Old Clock on Jul 12, 10 9:29 AM
To erojo - I can not get the code of the old gate house
tessie1982 - I am also stuck on the barn doors

And others:

You actually have to complete the tasks to find the code words for the garage, even though you know them: win the Bard's game; finish the miniature golf game at or under par (21 points); read the book on the bed in Emily's room; and talk to people to find out Emily's mother's middle name.

Giving people the answers without telling them that they actually have to complete the puzzles for the answers to be of use is very frustrating.

posted in Nancy Drew - Secret Of The Old Clock on Jul 12, 10 9:16 AM
Overall I really enjoyed this game, although it is clearly aimed at a younger audience and some of the game play is very annoying and repetitious. "The Secret of the Old Clock" was one of my favorite Nancy Drew books. I was lucky enough to read my mother's original editions before they were modernized and enjoyed the late 1920's setting of the game. I also particularly enjoyed the voice actress playing Jane Willoughby -- Sarah Papineau. She was so very the 1930's "chippie" that I expected to hear gum smacking!

PROS: The game play is mostly non-linear which is very enjoyable as it lets you spend time exploring, discovering and getting familiar with the game controls and environment.
The puzzles are for the most part challenging enough to keep your interest.
The artwork and scenes are clearly drawn.
The sub game of earning money is fun, though distracting.
A "Pro" for me, which may be a "Con" for others, is that you need to keep notes unless you have a very good memory. Or unless you don't mind running back and forth between scenes.

CONS: Repetitious - It takes over 21 clicks to move between the houses. There should be some better way moving between locations, once you have taken the long route.
Dialogue is repeated over and over with no way to skip dialog which you’ve already heard.
Two of the sub games are very difficult unless you have good mouse skills – the miniature golf game and sewing the dress. I somewhat enjoyed the golf but detested the sewing challenge.

Overall a 4 out of 5

posted in Nancy Drew - Secret Of The Old Clock on Jul 12, 10 8:55 AM
The code for "Bottom" will not work until after you've entered the codes provided by Thisby, Flute aond Pyramus. These will come closer to the end of the game.

posted in Journey of Hope on Jun 28, 10 1:31 PM
This was so boring I could only stand about 20 minutes of it.

2 out of 5

posted in Agatha Christie: 4:50 from Paddington on Jun 28, 10 12:33 PM
I love Agatha Christie and the games based on her novels ... except for the strictly HOP. Usually I download the preview but I was so sure and excited about a new AC game that I bought it straight away.

Then discovered its a HOP only. I was disappointed beyond words but I should have downloaded the preview, so I've only myself to blame for wasting my money.

Beautiful paintings for scenes. Some a little obscure. Nice soundtrack.

Finished in under 3 hours.

A 4 out of 5 instead of a 3 because of the paintings and soundtrack.

posted in Agatha Christie: And Then There Were None on Jun 3, 10 4:18 AM
A bit dated and disappointing. Fuzzy artwork. Slow game play even with double click to run. Lots of running around. Lots of puzzles that have nothing to do with plot or alternate endings. Lots of things to do that have no affect on outcome. Unable to click through/escape boring repititious chatter Unnecessary sub plot about Nazi spies. Nice touch adding the puzzle for the original ending but again, lots of extraneous chatter and fuzzy artwork.

The Christie estate shouldn't have okayed this one.

A 3 out of 5

posted in The Inquisitor on Jun 1, 10 4:04 PM
Slow, dark, clumsey.

Glitches ... the "hairpin" looks like a needle, complete with eye

On the mill, in the find the differences puzzle, one difference didn't register no matter how many times I clicked on it. Registered after using hints.

Wouldn't even pay $2.99 for it

1.5 out of 5

***MILD STORYLINE SPOILER ALERT***

This is a Hidden Object Game (HOG) with puzzles. There are three types of hidden object searches: list, silhouette, and pieces-parts (not sure what the correct term is ). Overall this is a pleasant diversion but an unexceptional game. Wait for the $6.99 version.

I played "Strange Cases: The Tarot Card Mystery" just before starting this game and was expecting a step up in the gaming experience. Sadly, I was disappointed.

The game play itself is fine with clearly drawn scenes and puzzles that mostly relate to the storyline and game play. The hotspots on the screen for interactive objects and directional arrows are tricky to find sometimes. Move your cursor a bit slower when you enter a new scene. I completely missed a puzzle in Chapter 4 and a duct entrance in Chapter 5 due to this problem.

Chapter 3 at the old cabin was, for me, the most enjoyable and challenging until the villain shows up. The storyline twist there is just silly.

In Chapters 4 and 5 the puzzles are less intuitive and have little to do with the story. The surveillance room puzzle in Chapter 4 is difficult to find, as is the interactive area in the Media Room in Chapter 5. The security panel puzzle in Chapter 4 is fun because it is a different type of puzzle than usual.

Chapter 6 is a waste and the dream sequence completely out of place. The ending is a disappointment.

The Bonus Chapter would be more properly labeled as the storyline introduction. The puzzles should have been integrated into the main game.

Overall the game is a pleasant diversion but an unexceptional game. Again, I got the feeling that the Big Boss at Big Fish told the game developer that “3 hours is enough game play. Wrap it up.” The bonus material is not worth the additional $13. Wait for the $6.99 version.

I give it 3.5 out of 5

posted in Strange Cases: The Tarot Card Mystery on May 31, 10 8:50 AM
Quoting BF "though there are numerous locations to investigate, this is a fast paced game that a determined player could complete in one sitting."

I bought this for $6.99 to play before playing "Strange Cases: The Lighthouse Mystery Collector's Edition" and was pleasantly surprised.

Then unpleasantly disappointed at the hasty and contrived ending. It was as if the Big Boss At Big Fish said to the game designer "Okay, the game plays out at about 3 hours, you need to wrap this up."

One thing I appreciated was that the puzzles seemed to relate to the storyline.

A few problems: The kidnapper, James ~ he should have had a bit more to do with the story. Perhaps he stumbled on the plot and set out to rescue the girls. And who scratched the code in the jail?

Overall though, a good entertaining 3+ hours for $6.99.

A 4.5 out of 5

posted in My Beautiful Vacation on May 16, 10 1:06 PM
peeshee said " but being stubborn I always think it is the persons' computer."

I'm running some of the best gaming and graphics software out there and this game is horribly slow and unresponsive.

A (big, fat) ZERO out of 5 (because I also hate Jack!)

posted in Hidden Secrets: The Nightmare on May 11, 10 8:52 AM
Match the symbols and click on the latch to open suitcase.

Get the scarf and put it on the lamp.

posted in Trial of the Gods: Ariadne's Journey on May 11, 10 8:50 AM
Just another match 3 game with a soundtrack that reminds me of REO Speedwagon on dulcimers.

A 2 out of 5

posted in 3 Cards to Midnight on May 8, 10 7:24 PM
Pluses are that game play is a bit non-linear, and the HOG portions at least make sense.

The storyline was my major reason for trying this game and I wasn't disappointed.

A 4 out of 5.

posted in Cate West: The Vanishing Files on May 8, 10 7:20 PM
I bought Cate West: The Vanishing Files over due to recommendations in the forums and am really disappointed.

Each chapter is the "same ol' same ol' thing." No intensity.

Double clicking to get through the boring dialog is a pain.

The artwork in most of the scenes is blurry and hard to see. The storyline could have been interesting but the cartoon-like charactors and intrusive dialog lost my interest.

I give it a 2 out of 5

posted in Life Quest ™ on May 8, 10 7:13 PM
I bought the game by accident and finished it in a few hours of intensive clicking while watching back episodes of Babylon 5 on Hulu.

There wasn't a lot of instruction. For instance figuring out how to date was not intuitive. I mean, a date isn't really family. Clicking on the picture is more intuitive. More instruction would have been nice.

I did all of the classes in the community college and was trying all of the jobs. But apparently you don't get anything special for completing everything, so I didn't finish. It would be nice to get extra credit for completing all of the classes.

After a while it was just point and click and boring. I finished it because I don't like to leave things unfinished.

Then end, when it came, was sudden and anticlimatic.

I give it a 2.5 out of 5.

posted in Life Quest ™ on May 8, 10 5:28 PM
Can someone explain how the upgrades work? I chose to have a contractor do the work and every time I go back its on the same 25% completed ... I know this happens in real life (grins) ... but what's the story in LifeQuest?

posted in Dominic Crane's Dreamscape Mystery on Apr 10, 10 1:31 PM
deo1999 wrote:So far I have enjoyed it, but am stuck after finding the ring and giving it back. I have the snorkle, key, and crowbar, but nothing sparkles but the pond. I can't do anything else there except look at the croc with the belt still tied around his mouth. Any help would be appreciated!

click snorkle on pond

Go to:   

KEY:    Unread    Read    Sticky    Locked    Announcement    Moved    Moderator