Posts created by mostly_nameless

posted in Haunted Manor: Painted Beauties Collector's Edition on May 29, 14 9:00 PM
Like Funit, I used the water in the sand scene before putting out the fire and now I can't finish.

Boo!

posted in True Fear: Forsaken Souls Collector's Edition on Mar 5, 14 6:11 PM
Well, an update.

I figured out that if I went to the bonus stuff and replayed the HO scene in the trunk in the bonus replay section, I could get it to reopen in the main game. And, it gave me the shotgun shells again (which I can't use since the gun is gone) instead of the winch.

So, then, to see what would happen, I started doing that over and over. (I would play the bonus HO scene, then go back in and the real HO scene in the trunk would be open. And, it wouldn't give me anything.)

And, then I noticed that items were disappearing from the scene each time I did that, so I wondered what would happen when it ran out of items.

And, now I have an Access Error and the game is completely crashed.

I am really unhappy. A big "Boo!" to my raging curiosity (and BFG's slow customer service that still hasn't replied to my inquiry).

posted in True Fear: Forsaken Souls Collector's Edition on Mar 4, 14 7:15 PM
So, has anybody who didn't get the winch get a solution?

I was loving this game and it is really frustrating to be blocked this late in the game.

I'm not sure what to say. I was so worried that we would have another Shadow Lake style disaster, but the series has gone back to its roots...having fun! By normal game standards I would give it a 9.5 out of 10. By MCF standards, maybe 8.75 out of 10.

The main game had a lot of MCF heart, and some of those legendary MCF style puzzles. (Some made more sense than others, but that's traditional.)

I wish the overall objective of the game would've been a little clearer (Was I supposed to be rescuing all of the carnies or just the good carnies? Why didn't they all get to "escape"? Shouldn't we have been trying to get the ball back? Who whacked everybody---Charles or Alister? Why?) I think MCF usually does a better job of story focus, but it was still fun.

I loved Isis even though "helpers" usually get on my nerves.

I missed a card somewhere. Rats! Was there a Hidden Object scene that had two?

I did need the strategy guide because there were a couple of non-sequiturs in there (I still don't understand the bowl thing.)

But, it was a lovely, long, fun game.

The bonus game was another story. It was a quite ordinary trotter where you trot from place to place doing semi pointless things. And the going into and out of the "book" just seemed odd, sort of like there were a couple of leftover scenes so they decided to use them, even though the locations didn't exist in the game world. I didn't enjoy the bonus game nearly as much. I would only give it a 6.5 out of 10. It didn't seem to have much MCF flavor at all. But the main game was so long that I think it would stand without the Bonus.

Here's looking forward to the next one!

posted in Fairway Solitaire: Tee to Play on Jun 8, 13 9:17 PM
When you say that you intend this game to play in windowed mode, do you really mean that someone thinks that having the game show up in a 4 x 7 inch box on a 15 inch screen is a good idea?

Really?

It's bigger than that on my iPad mini.

I love the Redemption Cemetery games, but I wish I had either waited to buy the SE or just not played the Bonus Game.

Spoiler Alert/Public Interest Announcement (highlight to read):

Your dog gets possessed by a demon in the bonus game and the ending is ambiguous.

I really didn't care for it and wish I had known about it before I started the bonus. I honestly wouldn't have played it.

Other than that, the main game was outstanding.

posted in Sacra Terra: Kiss of Death Collector's Edition on Feb 24, 13 5:24 PM
I finished the game and I'm surprised that I enjoyed it, mostly.

I usually hate games where there is one thing and only one thing that you can do to progress. But, since the map told you where that one thing was, it wasn't as bad as normal.

Still, having to move a filter on a jar that you are nowhere near being able to use to trigger the next...whatever...is irritating.

And, why in the world do you need to go clean a pan to put lava in it? Really? Like dirty lava would just never be as good. Some tasks seemed pretty pointless.

Still, the game played reasonably well. Well, it did crash out at the very end of the main game, but ran okay when restarted. (Unlike Lake House, which I never got to finish.)

And, I've got to give bonus points for how well the bonus game filled in a big hole in the original story. But, you still could've played the original story without it.

And, I did like how the map told you if you still had to find the beyond object from that scene. That was nice.

Pretty good game, and not one that made me wish I had waited for the SE.

posted in Timeless: The Lost Castle on Feb 9, 13 11:02 PM
Nice little game, especially for an SE.

I liked the extra puzzles, even though none of them were super hard.

Played well, even with a bit of running back and forth.

Long enough, but didn't get tedious.

My only complaint would be that the ending left me scratching my head.

But, all in all, nice and playable.

posted in Timeless: The Lost Castle on Feb 9, 13 10:54 PM
I took time out for a quick dinner, doggie break, etc and it probably lasted over 5 hours. It seemed fairly long.

Maybe it's just because I'm stuck home playing games because I'm sick, but by the end of this game, I was really tired of it.

It worked well. The voice acting was okay. The music was nicely forgettable.

There were hidden objects I couldn't see because of the bad lighting (and some were very small), and it seemed like there were a lot of hidden object scenes. That got kind of tedious. But, on the other hand, the mix of words and pictures to find kept it from becoming entirely unbearable.

I really don't like when HO scenes open back up behind you and there's no way to know without backtracking. A map would've been really nice.

And it suffered from "particular item"-itis. You know how, you have a lantern to light, you're right next to a fireplace, and a lit candle, and a church full of lit candles...but you have to go find the matches? I HATE that.

I don't know. I just didn't love this one. But, I finished it. On the other hand, I don't know if I'll even bother with the bonus.

posted in Phantasmat: Crucible Peak Collector's Edition on Dec 11, 12 6:59 AM
I couldn't get to the shelf either. I used a hint to confirm the shelf was there, then randomly clicked around the room (a lot) and then, the shelf scene opened. It was odd.

posted in Christmas Stories: Nutcracker Collector's Edition on Dec 2, 12 1:53 AM
Great game!

A billion bonus points for being charming and not taking place in an abandoned town or deserted mental hospital. And yet, there was still drama and a storyline. Other devs should take note.

I even liked the bonus game. It was adorable.

Lots of puzzles (skipped a couple because they were ones I don't care for), good H.O. scenes for the most part, and everything worked.

But, just to be fair, I have to say that if this game didn't have the map, it would probably be frustrating, since you do get to points where there is only one thing to do to move forward and (at least to me) that one thing wasn't always obvious. But, with the map, I could go there and figure it out.

Love, love, love the map.

posted in Mystery Case Files®: Shadow Lake Collector's Edition on Nov 24, 12 8:37 PM
Since I said in my original review that this game HAD to be better than Escape from Ravenhearst, I went back and replayed Escape. And, I was wrong.

While I still don't appreciate the themes in the EFR involving abuse of pregnant women and children, I do believe it has much better over-all game play than SL. Plus, it had better art, better music, better acting (much, much better acting), better humor, and was longer (or at least seemed longer).

There is so much tedium in SL that I would have to skip huge parts of the game to endure playing it again. In contrast, EFR replays pretty well.

I think that makes this one my official least favorite MCF. Although I also dislike 13th Skull (and for pretty much the same reason---having to put up with the bad acting in the cut scenes). But, at least 13th is longer and has a real bonus game.

And, it did bring up a small mini-mystery. I noticed that EFR has a similar inventory system, but it doesn't malfunction and open/close, refuse to give you stuff like the inventory in SL. I wonder what they did to it to make it perform so poorly in this game?

posted in Mystery Case Files®: Shadow Lake Collector's Edition on Nov 21, 12 10:09 PM
shanette1706 wrote:IMO, the thing we get after we find all the MO's is not only very, very cool but a serious piece of awesome news (Yes I am one happy fishie, I'm truly done with the game! )

Just because you said that, I had to go back and play the morphing objects (so not my favorite thing) to see what it was.

And, I got it and my first thought was "wow, that's only slightly less useless than a ticket
on the Titanic".

Think it's a clue for the next game or just a tip-of-the-hat to a much better game?

posted in Mystery Case Files®: Shadow Lake Collector's Edition on Nov 21, 12 1:30 AM
I looked forward to this all year, bought it sight unseen, played it pretty much in one sitting...and can't say whether I liked it or not.

It was okay, not great, but okay, up until close to the end where I really didn't like...well, I don't want to start anything, so I'll just say...I didn't like something to do with religion.

And, at the same point in the game, it hit one of my pet peeves (shades of 13th Skull) where your character has to do something blatantly stupid to continue the game.

More "cons":

Black bars at the top and bottom of the screen

A HORRIBLE INTERFACE for the inventory

Some really tiny, hard-to-see hidden objects

those really awful floating, uncontrollable jigsaws (if you devs are listening, taking what should be a 3 second puzzle and making the controls unworkable so they take for-freaking-ever is NOT challenging---it is only very, very IRRITATING!)

the fact that I managed to totally miss the key to the "bonus" (which wasn't all that anyway) meant I missed the morphing objects

The fact that the game seems really short

the over-the-top-and-then-some acting that you can't skip (having her yell at me all the time was getting kind of old)

the poorly drawn "drawings" that were difficult to decipher sometimes

the occasional hourglass

I still can't figure out what that last glyph was doing in the final puzzle.

I didn't see as many jokes in the art work

I didn't see anything fun hiding in the credits

Pros:

I liked that mini scenes shut down after they were exhausted

I liked some of the art work

I missed the morphing object---and was kind of happy thinking there weren't any-
--until I found out it meant I missed out on the whole "bonus"

I liked the "Boo!" scares

I don't know. It's definitely better than last year's outing (but what wouldn't be?). It seemed like a lot of different people worked on this one, so maybe that's why it seems like the series is losing that MCF goofy flavor I loved so much. Speaking of which, if lots of different people can work on MCF, why do we still only get one a year?

I guess I'll start counting down to the next one. 364 days to go.

(edited to add, my first "con", which had already slipped my mind: the game WOULD NOT start from the Game Manager and wouldn't even give me a clue as to why not.)

I'm having the same problem. I cut the brocolli, but then, no matter which piece I touch first, it says I'm doing it wrong.

Edit: Never mind. Somehow I had gotten past the first line of the recipe. Reset doesn't send you back to brocolli, it sends you back to the first part of the line you are on, not the very beginning of the recipe.

posted in Fairway™ on Aug 19, 12 10:13 PM
On the iPad version I had 3-starred all of bonus pack 2 and now it says I haven't played the first hole and Wants me to pay $15,000 golf bucks to get it again!

I dont want to pay 15,000 to get my 3 stars back!!

posted in Grim Tales: The Wishes Collector's Edition on Jul 21, 12 1:31 AM
Annie1115 wrote: But I will say this ...I don't care if he is her brother-in-law, you remove my only point of egress while you cowardly toss out a demonic amulet and I am not sending you a Christmas card let alone providing you and yours with a happy ending. Just sayin.

I really didn't understand that part. Why would Gray turn on me after all I've done for his sorry, former werewolf self? Maybe he just accidentally knocked it down?

And, not to mention bringing him back from the dead and all. The guy seems to lack the appropriate gratitude.

Seriously though, I didn't care for the bonus game. I kind of wish I had waited for the SE and not played the bonus. It was a downer.

But, the main game was quite nice. There were several places where I had to ask for a hint, since some of the things to do "next" didn't make sense. And, if I had to come up with a complaint, I guess the hints could've been "hintier" and less "do this now-ier".

But, overall a good game.

posted in Abandoned: Chestnut Lodge Asylum on Apr 29, 12 4:49 PM
I think some of you have a lot more patience than I have.

I'm not going to uninstall, reinstall, and play everything I've played to-date over again, unless I have some assurance that the problems are fixed.

Call me crazy, but I don't buy these games (and I did buy this one before I hit the problems) to get MORE FRUSTRATION in my life.

posted in Abandoned: Chestnut Lodge Asylum on Apr 28, 12 10:21 PM
Well, I didn't get the glass and the scene won't open up again and I don't think there is anything else I can do.

Bah-humbug!

edited to add: I have the gas mask, but when I push the button for the gas, nothing happens and I can't open the washing machine or the fridge. I assume that part of the scene isn't supposed to open up until I go downstairs and fiddle with the gas meter (or whatever the valve goes to)....?

I think this game needed some more beta testing.

Go to:   

KEY:    Unread    Read    Sticky    Locked    Announcement    Moved    Moderator