Posts created by GeorgeTSLC

posted in Jewel Match Solitaire: L'Amour on Jan 31, 18 10:38 PM
No problem, just not my taste--and I've bought essentially the same game w/ different graphics. So not this one.

But thanks for the pleasant hour.

posted in Fantasy Quest Solitaire on Jan 29, 18 5:52 AM
In the middle of a golf-type solitaire, I don't like being forced into an adventure game without any hints available. Not a buy for me.

posted in Griddlers Legend Of The Pirates on Jan 19, 18 3:51 AM
I might once have said that I didn't really care much about the patterns of nonogram puzzles representing some kind of picture. Bit when, as here, the patterns seem to be purely abstract in almost all cases (I did think one of them was a bird), it turns out I do feel something's missing.

It would also be nice if, like some other nonogram games, rows and lines with all the numbers filled in would automatically add the blanks.

So, not a buy. I'll replay some others of the same type instead.

posted in Math Burger on Jan 18, 18 8:16 PM
No math, no puzzle, no truth in advertising, no buy.

posted in Jewel Adventures on Jan 8, 18 5:31 PM
The way to exit from the main menu is: Escape!

Which sums up my reaction toward the game. Not merely not as advertised, but anyone who's ever played any other match-3 game won't be interested, and anyone who hasn't will likely be confused. I had thought I occasionally enjoyed a near-mindless match 3, but this example of just that proved I'd underestimated myself.

I didn't find the graphics blurry, but then I'd chosen "Fantastic" and maximum pixels before I started. I did find the fruit stereotypes to be more and more annoying as time passed:

* The permanently angry oranges.
* The mildly confused berries.
* The nice-boy lemons
* The sly eggplants.
* The smug green apples (much too glamorous to be Granny Smiths) invoking the Smurfette Principle, "in action when the cast is made up of a group of males and exactly one female" as noted, exemplified, and condemned over at TVTropes.

For completeness, I note that the curious strawberry shown in the title pic on the Game Mgr made no appearance in my first 37 minutes (15 levels), which was all I could stomach. And that the jewels shown in the desktop icon (and named in the title) are nowhere to be seen

So very not a buy for me nor a recommendation to anyone.

posted in Santa's Workshop Mosaics on Dec 5, 17 11:10 PM
Bad: COMBO!!! Fake Santa Ho-Ho-Hos.

Good: Nothing in particular.

Not a buy, but thanks for the hour.

posted in Athens Treasure on Dec 1, 17 4:04 PM
Got all 3 stars on the first set of 25. Thereafter, a few with only 2 or even 1, and still don't know why.

In any case, a very ordinary match 3. The fire from heaven is a nice graphic, moves are indeed easy to make, but nothing special.

Not a buy for me.

posted in Elly's Cake Cafe on Nov 30, 17 3:34 PM
Way too easy ... until it abruptly becomes nigh impossible. OH, well:

Not a buy for me.

posted in Rainforest Solitaire on Nov 30, 17 2:45 PM
Virtually no explanations are offered. The Undo does seem to be unlimited, and even lets you go back 3 moves--more, for all I know. The pile of Jokers at the side seems to be unlimited. The only snag is that if you play the last card from the deck, you're shut down and can't use one or more Jokers to pull off the last remaining cards.

I kept waiting to be told I'd used Undo or the Jokers up and had to buy more, but it never happened.

Relaxation is indeed a good use for a game. Being pandered to doesn't relax me.

Not a buy for me.

posted in Nonograms: Malcolm and the Magnificent Pie on Nov 16, 17 11:23 AM
An update fixing Level 110 has been issued; see the threads about it in this forum.

posted in Nonograms: Malcolm and the Magnificent Pie on Nov 16, 17 11:22 AM
There has now been an update.

posted in Nonograms: Malcolm and the Magnificent Pie on Nov 16, 17 11:21 AM
A fix has been issued. See the other threads about Level 110 in this forum.

posted in Nonograms: Malcolm and the Magnificent Pie on Nov 16, 17 11:18 AM
No workaround is now required; a fix was issued. See the other threads about Level 110 in this forum.

posted in Flowers Mosaics on Nov 8, 17 10:40 AM
This series regularly crosses off only some unoccupied cells, which is annoying, but I can live with it.

Worse, the tutorial display came up telling me that one square was a different color--I couldn't see it, but okay--and I should click on it to get a puzzle piece. I did, ut no piece for the large puzzle beside the level selection squares ever appeared.

And then there was the third level in phase 1, which when solved turned into a photo, and didn't seem to count as a completed puzzle.

Sorry, developers, not a buy for me.

posted in World Theatres Griddlers on Nov 6, 17 2:23 PM
The title after each puzzle's solved could be more obvious, but once I caught on, no problem.

But where just about every other nonogram game has slightly heavier lines every five rows and columns, this one does it only occasionally, at least during the first hour. You end up using the cursor to count tiles, and that's an occasion of error, inadvertently clicking rather than just pointing.

And while I appreciate the artistic choice to make the working colors always the same as the final colors, I think it's the wrong choice. Far better to have the working colors distinct and adjust them only for the final ta-da! (Just as all those Xs disappear for the final display.)

I also wish that, like some other nonograms, this one had track control so that when you're moving your cursor along one row or column it can't stray into a neighboring one and cause errors.

It would be nice if when one points at a "souvenir" it told you what it was for. Maybe I was too hasty in the trophy room, but I didn't see anything come up to tell me.

The one thing this game does do right that some others don't is to require most--maybe all!--its puzzles to be solved as wholes, not self-contained within each color but working back and forth. Otherwise, what's the point?

There are plenty of other multicolor nonogram puzzles out there, and I'm willing to replay the many I have as long as they keep working, rather than pick up a new one with so many flaws. So not a buy for me.

posted in Solitaire Blocks: Royal Rescue on Nov 3, 17 11:36 PM
This would be a buy for me if the rounds were just a little easier to win.

posted in Jewel Match Twilight Solitaire on Nov 3, 17 8:43 AM
Other than the graphics, this seems to be identical to the Jewel Match Solitaire (Collector's Edition) I recently bought from . Including the lack in both of a power-up that lets you see the next card in the pile before you actually turn it, the strategic improvement I like most. I don't need two games like that.

posted in World's Greatest Cities Mosaics on Nov 1, 17 12:09 AM
Ordinarily, I would insist on all puzzles being solvable by logic alone. But when, as here, there is a limit on the number of hints, and I keep coming in under that limit by applying one hint at a time followed (if possible) by adding more cells by logic, I'm happy!

The graphics are highly enjoyable, particularly those labeled "Mystery Lands" where there are boats, birds, butterflies, etc., moving on the board--especially if you start with the last "color" rather than always with the first.

The social studies info is no attraction, but then it's delightfully easy to ignore.

I'm quite glad I bought this one and its sequel.

posted in World's Greatest Cities Mosaics on Nov 1, 17 12:03 AM
You need to end on the green circle. Then it will say Level Complete.

posted in Fiona's Dream of Atlantis on Oct 19, 17 8:40 PM
Not having a hint button for the hidden object and picture-difference phases is annoying. So is the difficulty of seeing what cells haven't been cleared, and the lack of explanation of the power-ups. Plenty of competing games get those things right.

So very much not a buy for me.

Go to:   

KEY:    Unread    Read    Sticky    Locked    Announcement    Moved    Moderator