Posts created by lsr103

posted in Nancy Drew: Tomb of the Lost Queen on Jul 31, 13 5:05 AM
I've done everything I can up until, and including, deciphering the hieroglyphic code about the sons of Horus. The next stage would seem to be getting a light-source of some sort to enter the tomb, but I can't find one. I've got a bottle of lamp-oil, but the flashlight charger seems to have been sabotaged and (while there are several oil-lamps one could presumably use in real life) none of the lamps can be picked up and used and the cigarette lighter in "not allowed" as a light source. I've been wandering round (and round and round). Have I missed something or has there been a crash?

Many thanks,
Laurence

posted in Nancy Drew: Tomb of the Lost Queen on Jul 31, 13 5:04 AM
I've done everything I can up until, and including, deciphering the hieroglyphic code about the sons of Horus. The next stage would seem to be getting a light-source of some sort to enter the tomb, but I can't find one. I've got a bottle of lamp-oil, but the flashlight charger seems to have been sabotaged and (while there are several oil-lamps one could presumably use in real life) none of the lamps can be picked up and used and the cigarette lighter is "not allowed"as a light-source. I've been wandering round (and round and round). Have I missed something or has there been a crash?

Many thanks,
Laurence

posted in Weird Park: Scary Tales on Jun 21, 13 12:24 AM
Hi there. I've checked for Mac software updates - I have everything in place. Basically, I have completed the "Card Suit" lock on the underwater chest correctly - quite clearly the components are in their correct location (and it really is a very easy puzzle). Nonetheless, the chest won't open and, clearly, I can no longer continue playing. The game seems fun, but not fun enough to be worth restarting from scratch only to end up here agin!
1) Has anyone else experienced this?
2) Any suggestions?

I must say - judging by the strings of issues - that this game should probably have been rather more rigorously beta-tested!

Many thanks,
lsr103

posted in Fear for Sale: Nightmare Cinema Collector's Edition on May 11, 13 11:27 AM
I've: Writer's Tower, Stairway, Jaws, Writer's Desk, Bridge, Yard, Dressing Room, Statue Park, Desk, Conveyor, Soul Furnace, Forge, Tailor's Room and Movie Temple Gates available. The game instructs that any "location with available tasks" should be marked with an exclamation mark - nothing! I've been wandering about from location to location desperately clicking anything which looks remotely doable. Again - nothing. It was all going fine and now, the whole game seems to have come completely unstuck. Has anyone else experienced this? I have a horrible feeling this might mean "complete melt-down, start from scratch" and I'm not sure I have the patience for that.

Any thoughts please...

posted in The Missing: Island of Lost Ships on May 10, 13 10:06 AM
I'm having difficulties too. There's a button with arrows on it in a tree which I can't pick up. Also there's a puzzle-piece in a cage which I can't access. I have a saw, a box of pencils, a glass jar and half an amulet. Nothing works. Clearly I need to pick up the button with arrows to play a mini-game to open a door. Basically, I'm stuck - any suggestions?

Frustrating, because it's quite a fun game otherwise, but a bit buggy and glitchy.

posted in Infected: The Twin Vaccine on Aug 27, 12 9:27 AM
First, the caveat - several people seemed to have enjoyed this game, so I might be in a minority - but for my part it was terribly disappointing.

The premise - a Stephen King "The Stand" style plotline - is inspired and genuinely novel. Unfortunately the game-play is so pedestrian that the experience never really manages to get the adrenaline flowing. One finds oneself collecting innumerable coins for slot-machines which do things which - well - slot-machines simply don't do. Likewise, having to assemble family crests to unlock doors is just plain meaningless. I might accept this device in the realms of Harry Potter or the Hobbit, but this is meant to be an oh-so-ordinary North American small town. It simply feels ludicrous and completely incongruous. The only explanation can be that having to search for yet another inexplicable key in twilit rubble would have had players opening a vein with boredom. And there's the rub - the whole experience feels like a punitively dull series of tasks, rather than an engaging recreational experience. This is just lazy plotting. The best adventure games in this genre create the impression that the player is constantly being given genuine options. This is, of course, wholly illusory and one is embarked on a linearly driven narrative, but at its best - "Mystery Case Files", "Puppetshow", "Drawn", "Hidden Expedition" - one is hooked throughout and goes with the flow. "Infected - The Twin Vaccine" is so uneventfully wearisome, featureless and flabbily plotted that, notwithstanding its over-short game-itme, one is nonetheless pleased to have got the whole thing over with.

I'd give this a wide berth if I were you - dull as ditchwater.

posted in Mystery Case Files ®: 13th Skull ™ on Jan 20, 11 12:58 AM
Well - I'm relieved it's not just me.

After the first couple of replies to my initial post (in which no-one else seemed to have experienced the problem) I was a bit mystified.

posted in Mystery Case Files ®: 13th Skull ™ on Jan 19, 11 1:58 AM
All well and good for your Collector's Edition purchasing big spenders! And what about those of us who only bought the low end non-Collector's Edition version?

What a terrific game - and then you get the half-baked ending with the can-opener and the ice-pick, If the Objective tells me to "Board the nearest pirate ship" surely I cannot be blamed for trying! I wholeheartedly acknowledge that I didn't buy the de-luxe version of this game, but surely my penance should not be to spend hours ambling aimlessly about the same locations with two useless items, with which I only realise I can get no further because I checked into a chat forum.

I work in Performing Arts. It only takes a cold hot-dog, a rude usher, a double-booked theatre seat or someone else's garbage around my feet to convert the best evening's theatre into a disappointment.

This isn't like you, Big Fish; either make it playable or trim it out.

That said, you have still given me many hours over many years of great enjoyment with your captivating (and almost flawless) games.

And what about those of us who only bought the low end non-Collector's Edition?

What a terrific game - and then you get the half-baked ending with the can-opener and the ice-pick, If the Objective tells me to "Board the nearest pirate ship" surely I cannot be blamed for trying! I wholeheartedly acknowledge that I didn't buy the de-luxe Collector's Edition of this game, but surely my penance should not be to spend hours ambling aimlessly about the same locations with two useless items, with which I only realise I can get no further because I checked into a chat forum.

I work in Performing Arts. It only takes a cold hot-dog, a rude usher, a double-booked theatre seat or someone else's garbage around my feet to convert the best evening's theatre into a disappointment.

This isn't like you, Big Fish; either make it playable or trim it out.

That said, you have still given me many hours over many years of great enjoyment with your captivating (and almost flawless) games.

posted in Haunted Halls: Green Hills Sanitarium on Dec 12, 10 1:30 AM
I must say I thoroughly enjoyed this game. It's a bit unintentionally comic when our dashing juvenile-lead hero starts calling our heroine "My dear" in a way that only tends to happen when middle-European game-programmers start trying to write dialogue, but that is just a tiny tease, rather than a criticism.

For my part, I had no gaming problems, so I guess any bugs and glitches must have been ironed out. There are a couple of daft leaps of narrative logic - why, for example, does the electrified fence switch off for no reason whatsoever? More problematically, how was our incarcerated hero miraculously released? (This is actually pretty poor plotting, given that the whole game centres around our supposedly having to free him from his plight.) Surely we could have been treated to at least a cursory cutaway scene or two.

All in all, though, I always reckon that a game I can get through engrossed in one sitting, without having to use walkthroughs or spoilers, must be pretty good. This is no exception - it's largely pretty logical (in its quirky way) and has predominantly decent mini-games.

Lots of people seem to be complaining about the (admittedly) hastily penned ending. What do you want, guys - it's a hokey booby-hatch plot about a nutty sadistic psychiatrist who ends up rumbled? If you want to read a decent story of this kind, check out E A Poe's "The System of Dr Tarr and Professor Fether [sic]." It's amazing to think that Poe came up with such a tale a century and a half before this kind of plotline became a ten-a-penny cliche.

The music is pretty desperate - only about a 20-measure loop that keeps going round and round on two and a half chords like a post-modern Chinese water-torture. By the end of 5 hours of listening to that, I think I'd have been checking into a private sanitorium myself, but it's easily enough turned off and the ambient sounds and spot-effects more than adequately generate plenty of atmosphere. (Is the composer the same guy/gal who wrote the music for Mystery of Joyville and Souls of the Innocent? If so, pull your finger out and start composing something new!)

All in all though, plenty to keep you involved and entertained. I'm not sure it would stand too many re-playings though - it lacks any of the genuine chill-factor of the best of the Mystery Case Files series.

posted in Delaware St. John: The Seacliff Tragedy on Dec 11, 10 9:12 AM
Yes it is a tricky game - you can't potter off for a coffee, come back and hope you'll remember where you left off. I could only solve the sewer maze by copying it down, noting how each valve worked and walking through methodically - but then I enjoyed that.

There are only two play problems - one of them serious. Another blogger has drawn attention to it: one false move with the X-es/map-trail and you have to return to your last saved point in the game - you can't just go back to the beginning and hope it'll work - it won't! I'd advise not saving from the beginning of the X-trail until you finally finish it. This whole section is not helped by the maps being rather approximate - particularly when guiding you to the point by the sand-pit.

The second point in the game which struck me as very unclear is when Deleware has to find a key under a door in the mine-passageway. The indicator arrow instructing you to look under the door is too similar to the arrow which simply tells you you're backing away from a location. The result is quite serious frustration at not having the blindest clue what to do or what you're doing wrong. Irritatingly, this was the only point in the game where I had to consult the walkthrough.

I guess once they've finished building a game, that's it - they move onto the next, but it's a pity in this case - so very nearly an excellent game and these little frustrations simply put gamers off and obscure the merits of something potentially quite gripping.

posted in Green Moon on May 9, 10 7:47 AM
I filled the brown bottle with water at an earlier stage of the game. The game has auto-saved and I'd need to use the brown bottle in a potion - but I can't empty the water out and the game won't accept it in its full state. Have I got to restart the whole thing from scratch?! I hope not! It it possible to empty an item of liquid once filled other than into the potion machine?

posted in Shutter Island on Apr 8, 10 1:14 PM
I'm afraid I totally agree - the joke's on us. We've parted with (admittedly not that much) money and whoever devised this fiasco is chuckling all the way to the bank. What a diabolical waste of time - to call Shutter Island mind-numbing does it the undeserved credit of implying it engages the intellect on any level whatsoever.

If you haven't bought Shutter Island yet, save your money and buy - well - virtually anything else and you will have spent it better.

posted in Sherlock Holmes - The Mystery of the Mummy on Feb 24, 10 11:51 AM
I'm stuck in the store-room like the other player who found that, after emptying the oil-bottle into the lamp, it disappeared and there was no empty bottle to put into the corresponding "air" column on the ground. If there's a cheat to get over this, please let me know because I can't get any further using normal methods.

posted in Sherlock Holmes - The Mystery of the Mummy on Feb 15, 10 11:52 PM
Exactly the same problem here. I've even looked in the "walkthrough" (somethning I hate doing) and we're doing it right. Not sure what to suggest.

posted in Delaware St. John - The Curse of Midnight Manor on Aug 11, 09 2:48 PM
I'm stuck! I tried for ages to get past the second set of arrow instructions - I did exactly what the ghost wrote on the wall - no joy! I've followed the various cheats and walkthroughs for the same arrow instructions (FWD-R-L-L-FWD) and at the second move (L) the ghost keeps reappearing and writing the arrows again. Anyone ogt any bright ideas? I was really enjoying this game until I came totally unstuck at this point.

Go to:   

KEY:    Unread    Read    Sticky    Locked    Announcement    Moved    Moderator