Posts created by read61

Years ago the demos were 60 minutes. Then they changed to be a "certain point in the game" which could take any amount of time. Sometimes I reached that point in 30 minutes, sometimes 90 minutes. Just depended on how challenging I found the game or how slowly I played. I haven't decided yet on this one, I have all the others so the sale is absolutely no good to me (and I wish the developers wouldn't offer sales in that form) but I have found that the games have gotten progressively easier in this series. The first one (Queen of Spades) is one of my all-time favorite games, the others not so much. I may wait on this one and just use a pcc when the SE comes out. Or wait for a really good sale.....However, just my opinion.

Mmmm.....I did notice that. Thought it might have led into the bonus game but it didn't. However, they left the fate of the Master Detective in limbo which is why I thought it might have been the end. Time will tell, I guess. They're running out of family members though!

Actually, there is a very loose connection to Huntsville; the Master Detective receives a whispered message "You're Not In Huntsville Anymore" off-and-on during Madame Fate (I think). Ravenhearst introduced both Emma and Charles, but only in the diary entries. In the drawings, Charles is actually quite good-looking. It wasn't until RTR that they "appeared" (as ghosts) and at one point Victor is helping Charles back into the cottage and a reference is made to Madame Fate. I always thought it was Charles who was responsible for that business; well, his spirit I suppose. Charles (and his father Alister) were connected to Fates' Carnival and Charles' mother Abigail was the daughter of the pirate (can't remember his name - Crown?) in 13 Skulls. In Dire Grove, there is a carving on a tree near the house which is CD + ER in a heart, apparently standing for Charles Dalimar and Emma Ravenhearst. I guess you could say that almost all of the games are connected in some fashion although some of the connections are pretty loose and vague. The only one which appears to have no connection is Prime Suspects, probably because it had no story-line to speak of. I found it interesting that the main focus of the story shifted from Charles to Alister. Skeletons in the closet - I guess they really, truly are dead?

As far as I can recall, Charles and Emma never married; he proposed and she refused him. He caused her to get sick so he could take her in and "look after" her. He employed Rose Somerset to take care of her and be her companion. After killing Emma, he imprisoned Rose and her two daughters in the underground "town" he created and he fathered Victor with Rose. Eventually he killed both Rose and her daughters and relied on Victor to keep him alive. I think Charles' mother was Abigail, the daughter of the pirate in 13 Skulls. Between Alister and Abigail it's no wonder that Charles turned out the way he did! After playing EFR I almost felt a little sorry for him - almost.

I have no idea who this Tanatos character is. I am guessing something to do with Black Magic and Alisters' attempts to become immortal.

I always thought that Charles made them call him Father and think of him as their father even though he wasn't. Victor was their brother only because they shared the same mother, not the same father. However...the reason they "went bad" is supposedly because of their blood-line, infected with the Dalimar insanity. If I ever re-play RTR I won't feel the same about saving them! Funny how this game barely mentions Charles; I always thought he was the "ultimate evil one" of the group. Apparently he can't hold a candle to his father!

I wonder if this is the end of the Ravenhearst saga?

There are morphs? I couldn't find any mention of them so I figured there weren't any....guess I'll be re-playing a few HO scenes later. From now on I'll be on the look-out for them. Good thing I'm not too far into the game yet!

posted in European Mystery: Flowers of Death Collector's Edition on Oct 24, 15 1:41 PM
Count me as another member who got excited about 50% off, then disappointed to realize it was more for non-members than members. There are a few games I want, but I think I'll wait for a better sale. Maybe by then they will be out in SE form and I can use a pcc instead! Now that would certainly save me some money.....

posted in Sweetest Thing on Oct 11, 15 5:38 AM
Thought I would give this one a try. Ha! Very first thing I did the little man went crazy, just seemed to be running in one spot. No way to stop him, no way to progress, no way to do anything. Time to hit the delete button! Running Windows7 desktop.

posted in Midnight Calling: Anabel Collector's Edition on Oct 3, 15 6:39 PM
Short and easy. Liked the bat helper but that bird drove me crazy, having to feed it every time I needed it. Loved the dragon! Nothing original in the story and no option to go back for any missed collectibles. The bonus game was as good as the main story. I have never played Midnight Castle and this game gave me no incentive to do so. Very abrupt ending. I think the developer used their "second string" on this one.

posted in The Inner World on Aug 29, 15 4:34 PM
I may never know if I like this game or not. Took me five days to get it downloaded, then got to 100% installed, then got an 'internal game manager error' message. Installation failed. Really really don't want to waste another five days downloading it all over again. I may be asking for a credit for this one. No game is worth this much time and trouble - and no guarantee it won't happen again. Feeling both frustrated and disappointed. Using Windows 7 Desktop.

Really wondering about length on this one, I just purchased it plus an SE of another game and this one is only slightly bigger than the SE. Very strange. Either this is extremely short or that SE is larger than usual. Guess I'll have to play them to find out! I have all the others in this series and they're not bad, typical ERS and the same generic plot but a good way to kill a few hours without tearing your hair out. I haven't played this one yet but the others weren't all that challenging IMO. Sometimes all I want is an easy game to pass some time with!

posted in Final Cut: Fame Fatale Collector's Edition on Aug 8, 15 6:41 PM
Really really ticked off. Was about half-way through the game and just went back in to play. When the game was loading I got a message 'Game Save Data Corrupted, Please Start A New Game' (or something like that). Now I'm back to the beginning! This has never happened to me before. Not sure if I want to start all over again. Eipix, you've really disappointed me. I wasn't having any issues with the game until this happened.

I played the beta of this one and was completely underwhelmed by it. Not up to the usual MT standard IMO. Even Elf looked different! Not much challenge in either puzzles or gameplay. Maybe it got better after the beta ended.....? I had no tech issues with the beta but apparently several people are having trouble with the game. I think I will get this one only if I find another CE I really want - this game could be my 'free' one. Hopefully, once I get past the part where the beta ended, the game will improve!

posted in Phantasmat: The Dread of Oakville Collector's Edition on Jul 26, 15 5:56 PM
Well, now I know why I couldn't get gold, even though I had 100% and under a minute on all of them. Had I known the time limit was going to be so low, I wouldn't have bothered. Guess I'll know better next time. I will say that this is the only complaint I have about this game!

Well, just for the heck of it I tried the code from yesterday and it still worked! I really wasn't expecting it to as it's 9:45 p.m. here on the east coast of Canada. Wasn't really planning to get this one just yet, but I can't resist a bargain like that. The game sounds good and I do enjoy this series. The first one is one of my all-time favorite games, hoping this one is as good as that!

posted in Surface: Alone in the Mist on Jul 5, 15 10:05 AM
Got this game and another one in the sale this morning. This game would not activate and the other game would not install. Had to re-download the other game (not fun when you have limited download) and finally managed to get both of them done. I only hope I can play them without any issues. Using Windows 7 desktop. Lately there seem to be more problems than usual.... Is anyone else having these problems? I mean, I expect to have problems playing the game (which is kind of sad, actually) but not during the downloading or activation processes.

posted in New York Mysteries: High Voltage on Jul 5, 15 9:58 AM
Decided to take advantage of the sale and get this one (plus another). Wow. This game wouldn't activate and the other game wouldn't install. Ended up having to re-download this one, not fun when you only have limited download, but eventually got it done. Why are there so many issues with this site lately? On this game I got error code 776. Using Windows 7 desktop. Haven't played the game yet and only hope it runs without any problems! I thought these things were tested before being released to the public........

posted in Haunted Legends: The Dark Wishes on Jun 14, 15 8:16 PM
Very short, very easy. Typical ERS. At least I managed to kill three hours on a Sunday evening.......time to retire this series IMO. It's really gone downhill since Queen of Spades. I've lost count of the number of times I've destroyed that dwarf, but he still manages to come back!

posted in Final Cut: Fame Fatale Collector's Edition on Jun 1, 15 4:57 AM
Finally, the first of the month so I can start a new punch card. Plus it's BP Monday. And, the codes from the weekend are still working! Thanks to the reviews of this game I've decided to give it a go. I have all the others, but am so far behind in my game playing that I haven't gotten around to the last two yet....this one sounds good and hopefully I'll get to it by the end of the summer! I like the sound of the extras and the innovations to the game play. Hopefully I won't be disappointed. One thing I wondered about though...is this a continuation of the others in this series? It didn't sound like it. Guess I'll be finding out.

posted in Reflections of Life: Equilibrium Collector's Edition on May 31, 15 5:35 PM
Finally got this one finished, good length and the bonus game is also quite long. I found all the shards and put them together, but the hidden chapter was a bit of a disappointment. The rest of the game was excellent. Worth every penny!

Go to:   

KEY:    Unread    Read    Sticky    Locked    Announcement    Moved    Moderator