Posts created by Dominick_Fontana

I did not have any of the problems that the majority of people reported, but there is a bug in the Bonus Chapter that ecko mentioned above. Unbelievably annoying!

In the Bonus Chapter in the VERY LAST HOP, I could not find the last item. I clicked on Hint and it says, "There is nothing to do here now." I verified on the Map that there is nothing else to do in any other scenes and when I click on Hint, it always directs me back to the unfinished HOP, which is still sparkling. I clicked over 100 times in the HOP and cannot pick up the last item to complete the HOP. I tried Bubble-Shooter and kept eliminating 3 bubbles with stars in them, but the last item is still not found. I looked at the Strategy Guide and after finishing the HOP, you play one last Mini-Game to complete the Bonus Chapter.

So I was a couple of minutes away from finishing the Bonus Chapter, but I can't because of the bug, so I cannot unlock most of the items in the Extras Menu. Very, very frustrating indeed!

The bottom line is there is a bug in the Bonus Chapter in the very last HOP, that will not allow you to finish the HOP because you cannot find the last item, and therefore, you can't finish the game.

So close, yet so far. Maddening!

posted in Awakening: The Redleaf Forest Collector's Edition on Jun 25, 14 12:57 AM
(Part 2 of 2)

I also found the game to be very scatter-brained. You had to constantly travel from scene to scene. Yes, you have the interactive map, but you constantly have to go to a scene near the beginning to do something, then immediately, go to a scene (via the map) very far away to do something, and then go to another scene, etc. In other words, I felt the game should have been more focused instead of making you constantly go all over the place. Also, some of the smaller mini-games did NOT have intructions or a Skip button, which it should have had.

Finally, there are 45 collectible items and it was so annoying because every time I enter a new scene, the first thing I want to do is get the collectible. But consistently, I'd enter the scene, see the collectible and click on it, and nothing would happen. Sometimes, I'd have to click 12-15 times to get it. That's because there was some sort of nonsense happening in the new scene that wouldn't allow me to pick up the item until after some sort of animation or some other nonsense. You enter a new scene and click on something and it ignores what you clicked on and starts a conversation with a character who is on the other side of the screen. That is, the game is programmed that no matter where you click, it will start the animation and/or conversation. I can't stand that. I don't like being held by the hand and being told what to do. If I click on a collectible, let me pick it up. Don't start the conversation unless and until I click on the character.

I think this was the last game in this series and I liked all the others and was very disappointed that I did not like this final game. I found it so boring towards the end, that I just clicked on Hint after Hint to finish the game and I almost never do that. I also do not think the game was geared towards women. I am a man and the game was for men and women. I just didn't like it for the reasons given above.

I do not recommend this game and I give it 2 thumbs down . I rate this game a 5 out of 10.

(End of Review).

posted in Awakening: The Redleaf Forest Collector's Edition on Jun 25, 14 12:56 AM
(Part 1 of 2)

This review is based on the entire game. I liked all the other games in the Awakening series, but I hated this game. Read below for details.

First, the game was very sluggish. Everything took so long and the game couldn't keep up with me. When you click on a character and it talks, the words appear at the top of the screen, but they scroll on the screen one word at a time instead of appearing all at once. Very annoying. Then there are mini-animations in the zoom-in scenes. I zoom in and want to pick up an item, and I click on the item 7-10 times before I can pick it up. That's because there was a ridiculous mini-animation (such as a bird flapping its wings) that had to finish before you can pick up the item. Beyond annoying! Then, the cutscenes were boring and way too long, so I would click on SKIP. But after it skipped the cutscene there would still be about another 10 seconds of animation before you regained control of the cursor. When I click SKIP, I don't want any more animations. Also, I would pick up an item and then immediately click the map and I would be on the map BEFORE the item was even put into my Inventory. And no, there is nothing wrong with my computer. This is just the way the game was designed. They think they are regaling you with all the cutscenes and animations, but it's all gibberish and childish to me. I want to get on with the game and not watch all this nonsense.

I don't like HOGS, but these HOGS were quite annoying. There were different kinds. The ones with words had 12 items, but usually 6 of them were hidden or interactive items. Normally, 1 to 3 items are hidden, not 6. Then with other HOGS you had to find silhouetted items and then use the found items in the scene. I didn't like the HOGS.

Some of the mini-games were fun, but towards the end they became very abstract and annoying, so I skipped a lot of them. The graphics tended to be depressing. Also, the girl's voice was different from the past games and I liked the other girl's voice better.

The map was also annoying. First, I can't stand it when the map will not let you go to the scene you are already in. It says, you are already here. I know I am already here. I clicked the map to see where the objectives were and then if I want to return to the scene I am already in, it should let me do that instead of having to find the close arrow or back button. I can't stand that.

(Continued in next message).

posted in Grim Facade: A Wealth of Betrayal Collector's Edition on Jun 11, 14 1:02 AM
Thanks Severine, but I was just about to post an update. I solved the problem by uninstalling the game and then reinstalling it. Then I was able to go forward to the room with the chest and finish the Bonus Chapter. So I don't know what went wrong the first time (maybe it's a glitch in the game), but I was able to finish it.

Thanks for trying to help, Severine.

posted in Grim Facade: A Wealth of Betrayal Collector's Edition on Jun 9, 14 12:30 AM
I'm using Windows 7 and I didn't have any of the problems reported here, but I have a different problem. The problem is towards the end of the Bonus Game. Right after I got the Bracer, I couldn't figure out what to do. I pressed Hint and it lead me to the elevator in the Mine and said to press Floor 1, as usual. I did and then used HInt again and the arrow pointed backwards to tell me to go back where I was. So the Hint wasn't working properly, so Iooked at the Strategy Guide and there's a problem with that, too. It says, right after you get the Bracer to go forward and use the Wet Rag on the Chest. However, I am not able to go fo forward. There are 12 scenes in the Bonus Game and at this point, I have only visited 11 of them. The Room the Strategy Guide says I am supposed to go to in order to clean the Chest has not been discovered yet and the Strategy Guide does not tell you how to get to that Final Room.

Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, do you know how to fix it? Any help would be appreciated.

Again, the problem is how do you get to the final (12th room) in the Bonus Chapter, the room where you have to clean the chest with the wet rag. Thanks.

posted in Cruel Collections: The Any Wish Hotel on Jan 15, 14 12:10 AM
Just to add to the mayhem, here is the problem that I had. When chasing the Inventor, you go into the Attic. You need a screwdriver to unlock the door handles. I got the screwdriver and it only unlocked one handle and the screwdriver returned to inventory, but the door never opened. I kept trying the screwdriver, but it wouldn't work and the door never opened. Then at that point, the Hint button stopped working. I spent close to a half-hour trying to figure out what to do next, but I believe there is nothing else to do at this point. The next step is to go through the door, but I am unable to do so.

So I believe the bug is that you cannot go outside the door in the Attic and the Hint button stops working.

Thanks for "listening."

posted in Revived Legends: Road of the Kings Collector's Edition on Dec 24, 13 1:31 AM
Yes, I had the same problem and I don't think reinstalling will fix it. To make it clear what we're all talking about, in the Bonus chapter, when I zoomed in on the statue in the Bailey I only took the flashlight and didn't see the hook. Then I used the flashlight in the Jungle to get the battery and tiara. Then when I put the tiara on the statue's head back in the Bailey, I took the hilt part. Then, I could not zoom into the statue anymore and I was not able to get the hook that I missed the first time. So I couldn't use the hook to get the ball in the Mountains and I couldn't continue the game.

The Bug is that after you take the hilt part from the statue, you can't zoom into the statue anymore to get the hook, if you didn't take it the first time. People who take the flashlight and the hook will not encounter this Bug.

Very frustrating. Please fix it. Thanks.

posted in Riddles of Fate: Wild Hunt Collector's Edition on Sep 16, 13 12:24 AM
It turns out that as Jaskel wrote, after I started the game a day later, the gears appeared in the inventory and I was able to proceed with the game. I had no further problems after the gears and was able to complete the game.

posted in Riddles of Fate: Wild Hunt Collector's Edition on Sep 13, 13 12:59 AM
I have the same problem with the gears, I ended the game and started it again, but the gears still did not appear.

posted in Hypnosis on Jul 10, 13 1:26 AM
[Part 2 of 2]

In the phobia battles you're represented by blue spheres, the phobia by red spheres, and the brown spheres are neutral. The goal is to take over the red spheres before they take over your blue spheres. Each battle is different and new elements are added to the battles throughout the game to keep them fresh and exciting. Also, someone above incorrectly stated that once you start a battle you can't skip it and have to beat it and that's not true. You can skip any battle at any time. When you win (or skip) the battle you receive an item you need to combat the patient's phobia and return to the real world. You also receive numerous gems. The gems are used to buy more hints, buy power-ups for the phobia battles, or buy a new wardrobe for your character. There are also Achievements you earn throughout the game.

Also, the game has a 3rd person perspective where you see your character on the screen (unlike HOS games where there is a 1st person perspective and you see through your character's eyes). You go through the game finding objects and meeting people. The voiceovers are great and there are a list of questions you click on to ask the patient and then the patient answers you. So you go through the real world meeting people, entering their dream world to solve their phobias, engaging in phobia battles throughout the game, solving very interesting and clever puzzles, defeating their phobias, and then returning to the real world. It was a ton of fun and very interesting and humorous.

The game was very long and took me 10 hours to complete. However, for the first half of the game, each character has 3 phobias you have to cure. I was used to solving 3 phobias for each character and as the game progressed, I kept getting new patients and I had 10 patients in my notebook, so I figured there were 30 phobias to solve. After playing for about 10 hours, I had 20 phobias solved and figured there were 10 more to go. But then the game ended and I was shocked. It has a very nice ending with a sense of closure, but I did not have to solve 3 phobias for each patient and for 1 patient I didn't have to solve any phobias. So I'm not complaining because a 10 hour game is very long, but this seemed like part 1 of a 2 part game.

I'm taking .1 of a point off my rating because the game forced you to watch the credits for 6-7 minutes before it ended. I highly recommend this game, give it 2 thumbs up and rate it a 9.7 out of 10.

[End]

posted in Hypnosis on Jul 10, 13 1:25 AM
[Part 1 of 2]

This review is based on the entire game. I may be in the minority here, but the game was fantastic and I nominate it for Game of the Year! First, I realize that BFG is for casual gamers and I am in the minority here because I am a hardcore gamer. I despise HOS and HOPs in the other games, but put up with them to enjoy the Adventure aspects of those games. So if you are a casual gamer who likes HOS, then maybe you won't like this game. Also, reviews based on the demo or based on 5 minutes of play are not really going to be thorough reviews.

It's ironic that many women who posted reviews made derogatory comments about men and adolescent mentality because that is not the case here. It's funny because Freud is quoted throughout the game and some of the women's comments lend credence to Freud's concept of "p_enis envy." haha

On to the game review. This is a pure adventure game with thankfully no HOS. It's meant to be an offbeat game with many of the elements meant as tongue-in-cheek. The game was fun, interesting, and hilarious. You play a woman psychiatrist who wonders what happened to her boyfriend and then winds up in a mental institution where she encounters numerous patients. Her goal is to help solve the patients' psychological problems. As the scenes change, there are quotes from Freud, Einstein, Carl Jung, Socrates, Plato, Aristotle, and others.

The inventory is kept within the character herself. You click on her to see what she has and then click on an item to use it. She always has a notebook that is constantly updated when you meet a new patient. Each page has the name, picture, and a brief description of the patient. Then there are 3 empty lines and check boxes below it. When the patient needs your help, then one of the lines is filled in with the patient's problem. You then hypnotize them with your flashlight and enter their subconscious to solve their phobia. You enter a different dream-like world for each patient and when you solve their phobia, it gets checked off in your notebook. You also always have a dreamcatcher that you sometimes use to shoot at things in the dream world.

Throughout the game, a phobia monster appears and blocks your way. It then gives you the option to Battle It or Skip It. So you don't have to play any of the Phobia battles if you don't want to, but I played them all because they were a lot of fun.

[Continued in Part 2]

posted in Hypnosis on Jul 10, 13 12:43 AM
Just for the record, there are no viruses or malware in the game. BFG would never release a game like that. Sometimes, some anti-virus and anti-malware programs detect False Positives. That means when they don't recognize something (such as in a game) they alert you that there might be a virus, but they are mistaken and there is no virus.

The bottom line is that no BFG game will ever have a virus or malware because they check it thoroughly before they make it available for download.

posted in Hypnosis on Jul 10, 13 12:38 AM
Hi, lola.

If I remember correctly, if there is nothing to do in a scene, then she just shrugs. It doesn't direct you as to what scene to go to. But when you are in a scene where there is something to do, then it shows you exactly what to do.

I hope this helps.

posted in Hypnosis on Jul 10, 13 12:35 AM
Hi, annette.

It is a fantastic game (I posted a review of it) and if you play all of the Phobia Battles, it can take about 10 hours to finish it. I highly recommend it.

posted in Namariel Legends: Iron Lord on Jun 12, 13 1:38 AM
This review is based on the entire game. This could have been a very good game, but it wasn't for me because of a few extremely annoying interface problems. It was great that there were no HOS because I hate those and the puzzles and storyline were also very good. You have Jim, your helper robot and Mindscope for reading people's minds, so the game was a bit different and that is good. I would have normally rated the game a 9 out of 10 based on the gameplay, but the interface was a nightmare for me. I suggest you try the demo to see if you have the same problems I did. If you don't, then I recommend the game. If you do have the same problems, then stay away from this game.

These are the problems I had with the game. The Custom Cursor was an absolute nightmare for me. It was very sluggish and when you picked things up they dragged behind your pointer when you tried to move them. Just for the record, I almost always use the Custom Cursor in a game, but sometimes when it's slow, I use the hardware cursor. In those instances, many times the hardware cursor is just a smaller version of the custom one, but it changes shapes to a hand, arrow, magnifying glass, etc. Occasionally, the hardware cursor will just be the standard white cursor, but it changes shapes, and the hardware cursor is always lightning fast.

With that being said, when I switched to the hardware cursor, it was a plain white cursor that did NOT change shapes, so I didn't want to use it. So I was sort of "forced" to use the custom cursor. It might sound like a minor point, but it wasn't. Using the custom cursor made the game almost unplayable. And the farther I got into the game, the slower the cursor got. So it was a chore just to try to click on things or pick things up.

The other point is that every scene had a delay because it had to load and I found that very annoying. I also didn't like the directional arrows that appeared all over the screen. I prefer the cursor itself to turn into an arrow to show where I can move to next.

So, because of the horrible custom cursor and the snail's pace of this game I do not recommend this game and give it 2 thumbs down. I rate this game a 6 out of 10. If you don't have the interface problems I did, then I recommend the game and rate it a 9 out of 10.

The game was absolutely great, BUT there is a major bug at the end of the Bonus chapter that did not allow me to complete it and that left a bad taste in my mouth. It is one of those bugs that does not affect everyone and that's probably why I haven't seen anyone else report it. In the main game, I believe you had to find 34 acorns and you find the last one in the last scene of the game. Then in the Bonus chapter, you have to find 11 morphing objects and there are 11 scenes. When I entered the last scene of the Bonus, I must have clicked on the boy and it took me to the final confrontation, but I was aware that I had not gotten the 11th object yet. I was not able to back out of the scene, so I used the map to go back to the last scene (all the other scenes were Unavailable on the map). Well, I found the 11th object and was all set to go to the final confrontation, finish the Bonus, and have a feeling of closure and satisfaction with completing the game!

But guess what? I could NOT go back to the final confrontation and complete the Bonus. That is the major fatal flaw in the game. If you use the map to go back one scene at the end of the bonus, you then cannot proceed to the final scene and complete the game.

I tried everything and even rebooted, but it didn't help. So I am stuck at the scene with the boy at the tree and cannot go forward. When I click on Hint, it says, "There is nothing to do here right now." Of course, during the game, the Hint would tell you where to go, but it doesn't do that now because, apparently, there is no place for me to go, because of the bug.

Anyway, it's a bug that only affects you if you use the map to back out of the last scene of the Bonus chapter, as I did. So unless and until they fix this bug, look for the 11th morphing object in the last scene of the Bonus BEFORE you click on the boy at the tree to go to the final mini-game.

Hello, nenenenad.

It's very nice that you have posted here. I don't want to rain on your parade, but I feel I should post this here. I have also started a thread about this, too.

Yes, the game was absolutely great, BUT there is a major bug at the end of the Bonus chapter that did not allow me to complete it and that left a bad taste in my mouth. It is one of those bugs that does not affect everyone and that's probably why I haven't seen anyone else report it. In the main game, I believe you had to find 34 acorns and you find the last one in the last scene of the game. Then in the Bonus chapter, you have to find 11 morphing objects and there are 11 scenes. When I entered the last scene of the Bonus, I must have clicked on the boy and it took me to the final confrontation, but I was aware that I had not gotten the 11th object yet. I was not able to back out of the scene, so I used the map to go back to the last scene (all the other scenes were Unavailable on the map). Well, I found the 11th object and was all set to go to the final confrontation, finish the Bonus, and have a feeling of closure and satisfaction with completing the game!

But guess what? I could NOT go back to the final confrontation and complete the Bonus. That is the major fatal flaw in the game. If you use the map to go back one scene at the end of the bonus, you then cannot proceed to the final scene and complete the game.

I tried everything and even rebooted, but it didn't help. So I am stuck at the scene with the boy at the tree and cannot go forward. When I click on Hint, it says, "There is nothing to do here right now." Of course, during the game, the Hint would tell you where to go, but it doesn't do that now because, apparently, there is no place for me to go, because of the bug.

Anyway, it's a bug that only affects you if you use the map to back out of the last scene, as I did. If you could fix that bug, it would be appreciated.

Thanks for stopping by and the rest of the game was great.

posted in Family Tales: The Sisters on May 22, 13 12:11 AM
I thought the game was very good, despite a few minor drawbacks that have already been mentioned here. There are no voice overs, minimum sound effects, the background music is a bit repetitious, and the journal text is tough to read; but the game was still a lot of fun to play. If not for the above drawbacks, the game would be excellent, but even with them, it's still a good game.

The storyline is good and you have to search for your twin sister, who hasn't been herself since your parents both died in a car accident 20 years ago. You search her house (where you both grew up) and then wind up at an insane asylum, where she has been taken by unscrupulous doctors. Then you find out there have been rituals and you find floating islands in the sky and you visit all these supernatural places to ultimately save your sister. A lot of these supernatural places were different and fun to navigate and had nice mini-games.

There is no map, but you don't really need one. When you are finished with one area, such as the house, and go to another area, the asylum, you can't go back to the house anymore. I don't like HOS, but these didn't bother me that much because there is no random-click penalty, and the Hints and Skip recharge in about 15 seconds. It took me about 1 to 1.5 minutes to complete each HOS.

The great thing about the game were the puzzles. They were different and very interesting, and fun to play. The ending was a little abrupt, but overall, I had a lot of fun playing this game. It took me about 4.5 hours to complete it.

I recommend this game and give it 2 thumbs up. I rate this game a 7.5 out of 10.

posted in Mystery Murders: The Sleeping Palace on May 16, 13 11:39 PM
Nice job, retroFish. Very well done. Everyone appreciates the time, energy, and effort you put into the Walkthrough. Let's call the Walkthrough, the Fish Walk!

Again, great job!

posted in Mystery Murders: The Sleeping Palace on May 9, 13 11:50 PM
The unfixed game was a nightmare. I got stuck at the same point most people did and stopped playing. I can't feed the bird, move the stones, get the fountain to run, or find the combo for the safe in the study. The hints are ridiculous and insulting. I'll be reviewing this game when I finish it, but the devs should be drawn and quartered because not only do they employ a random click penalty in the HOS, they had the utmost gall to have a random click penalty if you click too much in any scene, even if it's not a HOS.

One last point, for the person looking for the last ladder rung. The one you missed is probably the same one I had trouble finding. Look in the close up of the ladder scene itself and on the bench to the left of the ladder is a ladder rung. It blends in perfectly with the bench, so you have to look closely.

Go to:   

KEY:    Unread    Read    Sticky    Locked    Announcement    Moved    Moderator