Posts created by barbaralbb

posted in Dark Sisterhood: The Initiation on Oct 1, 13 5:21 PM
I think I've looked in every site on the map and am not finding where to put the portrait. The hint is useless..... just says "Where does this painting belong?" Well, DUH, if I knew that I wouldn't be using the hint!

Anyone out there who has passed this point?

posted in Dark Sisterhood: The Initiation on Oct 1, 13 10:14 AM
Me, too! Have looked at all the sites (or at least I've looked everywhere noted on the map) and I'm clearly missing something. Any assistance in placing the painting in it's appropriate place would be appreciated...

It's not a bad game - a little "old school" but kind of quirky'ish fun.....

posted in Magic Time on Sep 8, 13 9:32 AM
I do like Match games. They are a nice change from HObj and Time Management. That being said, I wasn't blown away by this one. Never got the logic of the story and the items I could purchase weren't that interesting - a door, a window, etc. Perhaps I didn't play long enough to see the interesting stuff.... But the deal breaker, for me, was that the screen/board was out of focus. The cut screens were okay, but the playing field was fuzzy. After 10 minutes, it gave me a headache.

Now, before somebody sends a message about changing my screen resolution, please know that all my other games are just fine..... So, no buy for me on this one.

posted in Left in the Dark: No One on Board on Aug 28, 13 12:57 PM
I like this game.... It reminds me why I started playing Hobj games, in the first place. Story is strong enough to support the game play, though it's not really new or innovative. But then, stories are not usually the reason I play these games. The "graphic novel" art style is also fine with me.

I like a game that engages my mind and interests me in following the trail of clues. This game did that and I look forward to completing it.

Editorial comment re: BFG changes - I spent 25 years as a college administrator. When I started, our college had 1500 students. When I retired, our college had over 9000 students. There are things you can do with a small number of students/clients/members that you simply cannot do when your numbers grow in orders of magnitude. I think that's exactly what has happened with BFG and I'm okay to wait and see how it all turns out. BFG has always been a little "quirky" and I liked that...., but quirky may have to become a little more corporate.

One small addition - you must have found the coal and used it on the book in order for this puzzle to work. Then, push the middle brick and the other three. If you haven't found and used the coal, no amount of pushing will trigger the puzzle.

posted in Dark Dimensions: City of Ash Collector's Edition on Jun 1, 13 12:42 PM
I played the beta of this game and enjoyed it. Was interested in when the "real" game would arrive and here it is.

Seriously, I don't play these games for their reality - so a volcano in California isn't a problem for me. I live in Texas..., have you seen all those westerns that are supposed to be set in Texas but were really filmed in California, Arizona, or almost anyplace but Texas? The trees are wrong, the rivers are wrong (ours are most often just a trickle), etc, etc, but the story is often just fine. I don't watch movies for geographic reality either.....

So, the whole point of the volcano is that it's not normal and is being caused by the evil which has invaded the area, so no "real" reality expected by me. Just a good game with nice HObj's , good mini-games, and a decent storyline. This game delivers those and I just bought it. Am looking forward to a nice gaming weekend!
*** edited for spelling error

posted in Big Bang West on May 14, 13 6:49 AM
Quite a surprise that there were no comments/reviews for this game. Did I miss the memo..... or did everyone "sleep in" this morning. Here in Texas, it's about 8:30a so I had a few minutes to look at TGT.

What can I say after playing a while - well, I understand the underwhelming response. It's an okay little time management/build-it game, if a person hadn't already played some really GOOD time management games (i.e. Adelantado 1 & 2).

.Made it through about 5 levels in under 5 minutes, so not much challenge to draw you in.
.No little "guys" running around or jumping up and down, so it's not even visually interesting.
.I wasn't able to enter my own player name and had to chose from one of those offered (didn't like that very much).
.All through the levels, "heads" popped up in the lower right corner to tell me "i was doing great", "there wasn't enough food", etc.... Very annoying, as I could track my progress on the graph at the top. Really didn't need the distracting "heads".

Would I recommend it? Nope.... Not even if this is the first of this style you've ever seen.

**Review written with apologies to Valdy and cbtx. Not up to their standards, but it's the first time I've ever been first to review......

posted in Farm Up on May 9, 13 7:43 AM
Seriously....? Life was good down on the farm during the 30's (per game description) Does no one remember history? My Grandparents and Mom were eating hoe cakes (that's soft cornbread) and sorghum on most days. Meat once a week, if they were lucky... and they had it better than most of their neighbors. Ah, the Good Old Days! Or as my Grandmother used to say "the good old days weren't all they were cracked up to be!" The folks who write the cover page info should stick to the game and cut the "editorial" comments.

The game is okay, typical build it, and kind of fun, so I may use a credit for it. But, it ain't my grandparent's farm in the 30's........

posted in Mystery Murders: The Sleeping Palace on May 7, 13 7:03 AM
Well, weird.... Not the problems mentioned from UK, et al. Here in Texas, it's 8:45a and the download went quickly until the activate/install section. At that point, I got messages about BF Game Manager shutting down, my Windows shut down, and I lost all my desktop icons. Had to do a hard shutdown and restart. I hate doing that....

At the restart, all looked well but the game (it had installed) showed that my demo period had expired (I hadn't played at all) and my only option to play was to purchase. I don't think so.

First time I've had an install issue for a long time. That being said, I think I'll "pass" on this one......

posted in Castle: Never Judge a Book by Its Cover on May 4, 13 2:18 PM
I like the TV series and the demo was okay, so it's a buy for me. I like the characters and these seem "true" to their TV counterparts. Will use one of my Game Credits, so it's pretty much a no brainer for me. My husband has recently gotten interested in the "find it" games and he'll love this one.

Not that complicated and pretty easy to follow. Perhaps not a glowing testimonial but it's an okay game and looks like fun to play. Works for me!

Haven't seen this issue for this game from anyone else....

I downloaded the demo and it worked fine. Bought the game and it will not download. Have tried it several times. Stopped/uninstalled even uninstalled/reinstalled the Game Manager. No luck.

Any ideas, folks....?

posted in Hallowed Legends: Ship of Bones Collector's Edition on Feb 21, 13 9:27 AM
[Removed by Moderator]

posted in Motor Town: Soul of the Machine on Feb 12, 13 7:17 PM
My thanks, too! I had tried to figure out that clue (at least I knew it WAS the clue) but it never occured to me to omit the line.... simple, when you know the answer, isn't it...?

posted in Grim Tales: The Stone Queen Collector's Edition on Jan 3, 13 1:41 PM
I agee with a earlier reviewer, this is a pretty game. Finally, a game with colors - not dark, bleak, washed out..... Thank you developers!

It's been fun to play and I've enjoyed it very much. A buy for me.

posted in Mysteries of the Mind: Coma on Dec 1, 12 6:19 AM
I bought this game as a CE and liked it. The story is different and, like Valdy, I found the three "chapter" layout to be more interesting. Unlike other reviewers I didn't find it tedious.... I found it intriguing.

Slight spoiler:
The premise is that you (the player) have been injured in an accident. As the doctors are trying to save you, you experience "flashback" experiences where you can affect your past and resolve issues.

That is such a different storyline - no vampires, no helpful dragons/kittens/candles, no evil doctors/creatures/aliens/demons trying to take over the world. Now, don't get me wrong, I like those games too, but this was an interesting change of pace and you should at least give it a try.

Afterall, the demo is free - then you can decide for yourself!

posted in Mystery Case Files®: Shadow Lake Collector's Edition on Nov 25, 12 7:39 AM
At the first "Cassandra" scene, I thought "Wow, that woman is really channeling Lea Thompson. Even shakes her hair like Lea.... Then I worked up to "Could that really be Lea Thompson"'?" Finally got to "That really is Lea Thompson".

I thought she was having fun and, as another person said, her character was the only LIVE one in the game. Really no one to rescue (no brother, father, uncle, etc) or town to save, since the relic was currently without a "handler". Everyone who had touched it was dead, weren't they?

So, a fine and fun addition to have Lea take part. The live actors were the best thing about the game!

posted in Mystery Case Files®: Shadow Lake Collector's Edition on Nov 23, 12 3:28 PM
Rumbi,
Let me add my thanks to the long list. I hate (HATE) morphing objects, we all have our little issues, don't we.....

Without your list I would never have completed the game and gotten my ticket. Have no idea what the heck it's for and/or what it means - but I've got it and I wouldn't without your help!

posted in Mysteries of the Mind: Coma Collector's Edition on Nov 4, 12 5:04 AM
Isn't there an old Cher song called "If I Could Turn Back Time, If I Could Find a Way..."? I've always found that concept intriguing and thought provoking. What would I change and with whom?

This game doesn't change time (though it is an interesting "mind game" with most of the US returning to real time until next Spring), but it does explore the possibility of changing the result of previous actions and, thereby, changing/redeeming those involved. I find that facinating and that makes this a buy for me.

All these games are about imagination and how your brain accepts/rejects/modifies the reality of the game story. This one is close to home for many of us. For me, that doesn't make it maudalin or sad...., just an opportunity to think about actions and consequences and making different choices in the future - unexpected depth for a little game.

posted in Botanica: Into the Unknown Collector's Edition on Oct 21, 12 7:13 AM
As cbtx said:
"No werewolves, mad scientists, vampires, puppets, etc. here----just great gameplay and story from a great dev that has gone to the top of the dev list in a hurry. Congrats to Boomzap on this one!! "

AMEN to that! Lovely to have something that shows some imagination and not just a recycle of "same old/same old"..... I'm a happy fishie, today.

Yep, Bella I'm with you on that! If I never see another crashed car or missing father/uncle/brother/husband, I'd be happy. There must be another interesting way to start a game and surely not all the male relatives are so dippy.....

Thanks to all the feedback. I started this thread because I just didn't understand all the "angst" being projected toward ERS and this game. Think I have a better idea, now, of what was causing it and why it was present.

Wow, Bella! I'd love another sci-fi game - what was that last one? Atlantis something..., it was pretty good. Kept me busy for several hours.

Go to:   

KEY:    Unread    Read    Sticky    Locked    Announcement    Moved    Moderator