Posts created by divegal

posted in Azada® : In Libro Collector's Edition on Nov 18, 11 11:49 AM
Absolutely THRILLED that this, like the other Azada games, is NOT a HOG!!! YAY!!!!

To me, who can't stand any but the occasional HOG scene, it seems virtually EVERY DAY is a HOG release here, often two! I am not saying it should be otherwise -- it is just my perception and why I only buy an occasional game here. There is (to my eyes) SO rarely a release of what I happen to like -- purely (or almost purely) puzzle and/or adventure.

I do agree with those of all tastes that games should be labeled as accurately as possible, but I also don't think it's a big deal to do a little research, especially if there is a demo, and (inevitably, soon) a walkthrough to glance at.

I will wait for the SE because I never buy CEs (can't afford them, don't see the value) but that is fine -- Drawn SE came out just in time which will (along with puzzle/adventures from other sites) keep me busy until this is released as an SE.

HOORAY for AZADA (and DRAWN!) and THANK YOU BFG for my puzzle fix!!!

posted in Spirit Soup: The Queensbury Curse on Oct 2, 11 3:52 PM
I posted this in technical problems, and in the walkthrough, and contacted CS, but it should be here too. Everyone who plays this game should be aware of it!!!

I have never seen an adventure game (and I have played a TON of them) let you make a flaw in playing sequence so that the game will be unwinnable.

I spent SIX HOURS of my precious game time (seriously -- I am extremely ill and don't have long to live -- not looking for pity, this is just how it is) playing through every step and ever puzzle on my own, and finally right at the end I was stuck and consulted the walkthough only to see the warning I would have had to have heeded at the beginning. Now I cannot see the final cutscene without playing over from the beginning which I will definitely NOT do.

This is a completely unforgivable programming bug. It may be something that very few people run into, but if not caught in time, it is six hours wasted. There are no words for how furious I am.

I wrote to CS and while I do expect a refund I am much more concerned that others are warned about this piece of garbage being a potential waste of time.

Shame, shame on this developer.

posted in Spirit Soup: The Queensbury Curse on Oct 2, 11 3:48 PM
I posted this in its own thread, and in the walkthrough, and contacted CS, but it should be here too.

I have never seen an adventure game (and I have played a TON of them) let you make a flaw in playing sequence so that the game will be unwinnable.

I spent SIX HOURS of my precious game time (seriously -- I am extremely ill and don't have long to live -- not looking for pity, this is just how it is) playing through every step and ever puzzle on my own, and finally right at the end I was stuck and consulted the walkthough only to see the warning I would have had to have heeded at the beginning. Now I cannot see the final cutscene without playing over from the beginning which I will definitely NOT do.

This is a completely unforgivable programming bug. It may be something that very few people run into, but if not caught in time, it is six hours wasted. There are no words for how furious I am.

I wrote to CS and while I do expect a refund I am much more concerned that others are warned about this piece of garbage being a potential waste of time.

Shame, shame on this developer.

posted in Spirit Soup: The Queensbury Curse on Oct 2, 11 3:13 PM
I started another thread but gave no specific information about this major flaw that ruined six hours of gameplay for me.

Here is a post I made in the walkthrough thread. If you search there for the part in red, posted by a kind fishy, you will understand. The problem is that I had not reason to consult the walkthrough until the very end of the game.

This developer really needs to fix this. I have never been so furious about a game before. I can't believe that in all of life's problems I am as angry as I am, but I just wasted six hours of my rare fun time on this ridiculous piece of programming.

I hope this helps someone.

divegal wrote:
nwl43 wrote:

HEADS UP! THOSE WHO DID NOT HEED GRANDMA'S ADVICE TO TAKE CARE OF THE TEMPLE FIRST HAVE RUN INTO PROBLEMS.

Warning -- this is a rant, but at the game, certainly not at you helpful fishies. Thank goodness this thread is here so I know what went wrong. It's just crazy that the info wouldn't be in a place I'd see until after I made the fatal flaw!

I have never played an adventure game that would let me forget a spoken tip, wander around, and do something out of order that would make it so I couldn't finish the game. I have some very serious health problems and can't believe that a silly game would get me so incredibly furious in the scheme of things -- but perhaps it is precisely so. I play a game for distraction and stress relief. I play adventure/puzzle games only, and I play them all the way through, and only consult the walkthrough when I get stuck. I can't believe I played six hours over several days having no idea that I would have no way to finish the game and see the cutscene and have the satisfaction of "winning" until I got to the very end and looked here and saw the fatal flaw I walked into early on.

Overall a good game but there is no way I will play it all over again just to finish, now that I completed almost everything else! The characters were annoying enough (Grandma is cold and ungrateful, Hassim is a horrible stereotype) but now that I feel tricked I just wanna break something! Totally outrageous and unforgivable on the part of the developer.

I wrote to CS. I may be one of the few who fell into this trap but I really think the game needs to be made so it can't happen, just like any decent adventure game.

posted in Spirit Soup: The Queensbury Curse on Oct 2, 11 3:05 PM
nwl43 wrote:

HEADS UP! THOSE WHO DID NOT HEED GRANDMA'S ADVICE TO TAKE CARE OF THE TEMPLE FIRST HAVE RUN INTO PROBLEMS.

Warning -- this is a rant, but at the game, certainly not at you helpful fishies. Thank goodness this thread is here so I know what went wrong. It's just crazy that the info wouldn't be in a place I'd see until after I made the fatal flaw!

I have never played an adventure game that would let me forget a spoken tip, wander around, and do something out of order that would make it so I couldn't finish the game. I have some very serious health problems and can't believe that a silly game would get me so incredibly furious in the scheme of things -- but perhaps it is precisely so. I play a game for distraction and stress relief. I play adventure/puzzle games only, and I play them all the way through, and only consult the walkthrough when I get stuck. I can't believe I played six hours over several days having no idea that I would have no way to finish the game and see the cutscene and have the satisfaction of "winning" until I got to the very end and looked here and saw the fatal flaw I walked into early on.

Overall a good game but there is no way I will play it all over again just to finish, now that I completed almost everything else! The characters were annoying enough (Grandma is cold and ungrateful, Hassim is a horrible stereotype) but now that I feel tricked I just wanna break something! Totally outrageous and unforgivable on the part of the developer.

I wrote to CS. I may be one of the few who fell into this trap but I really think the game needs to be made so it can't happen, just like any decent adventure game.

posted in Spirit Soup: The Queensbury Curse on Oct 2, 11 6:34 AM
I am so furious I want to break something.

I didn't use the walkthrough until the very end of the game when I got stuck, and then I learned why. If you don't do something at the beginning of the game you cannot do it later. I have never seen an adventure game behave this way.

I play every puzzle and thus this game took me almost six hours and now if I want to get the last object and see the final cut-scene I would have to start all over from the beginning!!!

I play games to reduce stress. It is so rare to find a good adventure game and I rejoined just to get this one and now I am more stressed out than before. I can't believe that the only warning about this was in the walkthrough, which I didn't consult until I ran into a problem because I hadn't checked it before I had a problem! Ridiculous.

I wrote to CS and really hope that someone posts a warning about this. I see in the walkthrough that a couple other people had the same problem but they realized it much earlier. No way I will start all over. Six hours and I don't get to "win."

posted in Nancy Drew: Secrets Can Kill Remastered on Apr 22, 11 8:05 AM
Wow, well I understand different opinions, but I'm (wanting to say this without boasting so please know I'm just making a point) a very intelligent 50 year old with lots of experience in large file adventures, and while this isn't the best or the longest ND ever, I cannot imagine anyone, 13, genius, ANYONE finishing this in two hours without extensive use of walkthrough. Just to collect the clues and decipher the puzzles on junior level has taken me well over that. But I haven't consulted the walkthrough once.

It hasn't been the most exciting game ever, there are too few characters, but under two hours? On Senior Level with no walkthrough? Impossible. Sorry.

posted in The Fall Trilogy Chapter 2: Reconstruction on Oct 24, 10 3:29 AM
I'm a few hours into the game and am enjoying it a lot. I preferred the first one, which immersed me in its natural beauty, but I love that this one has similar graphics and gameplay and likable character (though I wish he had more connection to the one from the first game...what happened to make him wind up in an office??? perhaps I'll find out?)

Anyway I think this game is really well-made with great puzzles (I haven't skipped any on "easy") and fewer HOG scenes (yay!!!) and just the right level of help (no walkthrough for a change!) and I can't wait to find out what the third one is like! I'm so glad it's a trilogy!!! Thank you for offering another GREAT game.

posted in Nightmare Adventures: The Witch's Prison on Sep 6, 10 6:46 PM
Welcome to the new fishies and thank you to all who gave reviews!

No technical issues whatsoever on my Windows7 laptop, and this is the first BFG that has interested me enough to buy in some time (I am completely sick of HOGs and TMs), and with the sale price it is affordable, thank you !!!

I really appreciate the reviewers who played the whole game. I am all about puzzles and found the demo ones a bit easy so I'm glad to hear they get more challenging. And I also like that it doesn't get me totally lost like some LFs.

The one "hidden object scene" was hilarious!

Finally a buy for me, thanks to it being my kind of game, and of course the awesome sale

posted in The Blackwell Convergence on Sep 6, 10 6:28 PM
davelgil wrote:Hi Fishies! Dave Gilbert here, the developer behind Convergence and the rest of the Blackwell series. I just got word that this game was a daily deal, so I thought I'd pop over and say "Hi" again. I'm glad that you are all enjoying it. For those of you who don't like the graphics... well, my only defense is that I am a tiny, self-funded studio. Maybe one day I'll be able to invest in better graphics but until then the low-res stuff is the best I can afford! A fourth Blackwell game is in the works right now and you should see it a little after Xmas.

Thanks again!

-Dave

Thanks, Dave!

YAY!!!

posted in The Blackwell Convergence on Sep 3, 10 3:48 AM
I loved this game despite the...nostalgic graphics. Same great main characters and snarky humor as the rest of the series,fine gameplay, if you like offbeat adventure games this is a great deal!

p.s. Walkthroughs available, no need to get stuck

posted in The Blackwell Convergence on Sep 3, 10 3:43 AM
I loved this game despite the...nostalgic graphics. Same great main characters and snarky humor as the rest of the series,fine gameplay, if you like offbeat adventure games this is a great deal!

posted in Time Dreamer on Jul 24, 10 1:22 PM
SavemeJack wrote:PS - BFG, I am deleting the above post and this one because I did not feel it was courteous, and I wanted to apologize. I apologize to you, too, for posting something that was not appropriate. I have found some really great friends here, and have always been happy with the forums and the courtesy everyone has for each other when posting. Last night, I did not and I am sorry.

I think it's really beautiful when we can look at ours see things new ways and help each other. SavemeJack you are a beautiful fishie and I thank you for teaching me too. Your presence here is very special and makes me wanna hang around a bit more

P.S. LOL, whether or not Time Dreamer is an adventure game, life certainly is

posted in Time Dreamer on Jul 11, 10 6:38 PM
cyndrap wrote:...about 1/2 and 1/2...

LOL. Thank you, you are an angel.

posted in Time Dreamer on Jul 11, 10 5:49 PM
Before moving on I thought I'd look back to wonder what happened here and what was directed at me or not and I still really don't know, except that some people (like me) had some nicely-phrased questions and/or suggestions and others who had maybe heard those too many times for their taste went on, sometimes in caps and even bold about what a fuss was being made. This really confuses me.

The fact that downloading and demoing every time I have a question about a game takes me a lot of precious time is a fact that I wouldn't have even brought up unless I had been asked why I don't just do it. I thought this was a big friendly pond where one could ask questions and share input. But maybe anyone who remotely but politely suggests that they didn't have all the information they wanted about the game, and therefore they came here to get or share that information, is just too blasphemous? I don't know but I sure didn't mean to step on a landmine and I don't think the people who were seeking the info I was meant to either. If the forums were only for people to write after they played, why would anyone check it to find out it they want to play? Some of us don't have time to try every game, and much less time to argue about it.

Thank you for listening. That is all.

posted in Time Dreamer on Jul 11, 10 2:18 PM
Amen.

bbelle wrote:I'm sorry divegal. My post did not mean to be about you being angry and I apologize. What I meant was not to be angry at my opinion. I love these forums and the posters and wouldn't want to hurt anyone.

Thanks bbelle. I don't understand what derailed here because never in this thread have I been, or have seen anyone in here (maybe I missed it?) be angry at anyone here or their opinions or BFG, nor have I even griped about classification -- I was just asking for a piece of information without downloading and playing the whole demo (I thought that was part of what these forums were for?) and thanked the person who helped me get it and was all set and happy. Then I awoke to this enormous debate that I don't understand. I for one have much more important things to worry about. I'm gonna try to not ask anything anymore in here because I feel kind of attacked, although prpldva's answer was helpful and the person who PM'd me was extraordinarily kind and understanding

Maybe you all have debated this before and have taken sides and assumed this was something old, but it was new to me. I just wanted to know something about the game and hoping someone could save me and hour or two, which they did and I thanked them. Gosh.

Once again, happy gaming everyone. Peace.

edited for typos.

posted in Time Dreamer on Jul 11, 10 5:19 AM
...and, it looks like an adventure game with a lot of HOG scenes, kind of like RTR.

And it looks like great quality. Too much HOG for my patience but OH so tempting.

Enjoy, fishies who like this combo.

posted in Time Dreamer on Jul 11, 10 5:13 AM
prpldva wrote:
divegal wrote:
I was, and still am, seeking information on how much of this game is HOG, if anyone is wiling to help me out. Otherwise I'll demo to find out, but I thought someone might save me an hour or two. Thank you.

All the HOG scenes are in the walkthrough.....

That's a great idea! I haven't used the walkthroughs as a preview because i'm not very concerned with length (what most people seem to check) but i should have thought of it for types of scenes! Thank you for your kind answer.

posted in Time Dreamer on Jul 11, 10 5:03 AM
sinshack wrote:
divegal wrote:Given that, anyone have a take on whether I'd like this? Thank you

Since the trial download is free, why not just download it and see for yourself? It looks like a pretty even split between those who hate it because it isn't a pure adventure game and those who like it anyway, and since it doens't cost anything to find out for yourself you just might be pleasantly surprised.

Not to sound rude or ungrateful, but the answer is because i did the same thing yesterday only to find it was mostly a HOG (and for those who don't see the "adventure" labels on these last two, they're in huge letters on the right on the download pages.) I was taking the advice of fellow fishies to check the forums and not tie up my connection and run another demo for nothing.

I don't know who was being referred to as angry, but FWIW I wouldn't be angry if BFG made nothing but HOGs from now on. I just wouldn't demo or buy any.

I was, and still am, seeking information on how much of this game is HOG, if anyone is wiling to help me out. Otherwise I'll demo to find out, but I thought someone might save me an hour or two. Thank you.

posted in Time Dreamer on Jul 11, 10 3:50 AM
Thank you for this thread -- it is an issue for me. I don't like HOGs and I rate my "adventure" games partly on how few HOG scenes there are and how many puzzles and interactions there are. And of course, the quality of each. But if it's 1/2 HOG, I sure want to know, and I sure don't want to buy. 1/4 I might put up with if it's really good. But I'd prefer none, like Nancy Drew, Sam & Max, et al. -- to me those are clearly adventure games.

Given that, anyone have a take on whether I'd like this? Thank you

Go to:   

KEY:    Unread    Read    Sticky    Locked    Announcement    Moved    Moderator